Create Dornas for NBA 2K18

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K18 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

Create Dornas for NBA 2K18

Postby Davi Soares Pacheco on Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:38 am

Hello everyone! I would really like to know how to make dornas for the NBA 2k18, anyone who can give me a more specific tutorial on how to create a package of dornas for NBA 2K? Where to find the images for each one? Some tutorial preferably in Latin American languages. Thank you all
Davi Soares Pacheco

Re: Create Dornas for NBA 2K18

Postby Shuajota on Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:22 am

Davi Soares Pacheco wrote:Hello everyone! I would really like to know how to make dornas for the NBA 2k18, anyone who can give me a more specific tutorial on how to create a package of dornas for NBA 2K? Where to find the images for each one? Some tutorial preferably in Latin American languages. Thank you all

I made this one:
phpBB [video]
Shuajota
NBA2K Mods: www.shuajota.com

Postby jk31 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:35 am

You definitely need NBA 2k Explorer to look up the dorna files of the teams. From there, load up the team, that you want to add dornas. Search for every file inside of it, which begins with "dornas/...". Extract every of those files.

Now from the name of the file you can see, of how much segments the display panel consists. E.g. jbl_03_cavs.iff means, the cavs display panel consists of 3 segments. jbl_05_twolves.iff means, the TWolves have 5 segments.

Now start your favorite graphic editing program (I use photoshop, but you can use everything you want). You need to be able to save files as .dds. For photoshop, there is a plugin, that enables this (Link).
The picture of every panel segment needs to be exactly the size of 512 x 128. Using the Cavaliers as an example again, this means you need to create a new file with proportions of 1536x128, because 512 * 3 = 1536. Now fill the picture with the ad you want to show up in the game. For finding the pictures just google the company or whatever you want to show it. If you need text to show up (for example if there is also text besides just the logo, which you don't find via google picture search), just use the text tool and try to find the correct or a similar font. After you're done creating the ad, merge all layers to one layer. Now create an selection with the exact size of 512 x 128 (the size of one dorna panel segment). Start on the upper left corner of the picture. Copy the selection and paste it into a new 512 x 128 file. Save this file as .dds using the following options (if you use the Intel Texture Works Plugin for Photoshop)).
Continue with the next 512 x 128 segment of your ad. Select it and copy/paste it into a new file, then save it. Repeat until you have all segments of your picture.
Every dorna file also has single panel dornas which for example appear on the sides of the basket stanchion. To create these, just open up a new 512 x 128 file, and create the dorna here, save it as .dds.

If you are finished with everything (in case of the Cavs you now should have 3 files that together make up the big 3 segment dorna and 1 file for the single segment dornas), extract the .iff file (for example with 7zip). You now see several files called "panel_....dds". The .dds files starting with "panel_00", "panel_01" and "panel_02" are the files that result in the 3 segment dorna. Everything else are single segment dornas. Just replace every of these .dds files with your created files. Copy the name of "panel_00....dds" and rename your first file to it. Continue with the second and so on. The single one segment dorna file you have created you need to copy several times until you match the number of files that you have not already replaced (in case of the cavs, 3 files are replaced by your big 3 segment dorna, everything else has to be replaced by the single segment dorna). When you are finished, open the .iff file with 7zip again and replace the .dds files inside with your own .dds files. If it asks you if you want to overwrite these files, do so! After you are finished, go to "NBA 2k18/modded/dornas" and create a subfolder with the team ID there. For the cavs it is "004". You see the team ID inside of NBA 2k explorer, because when you load up a specific team there will be a file which is named 004.iff (for the cavs, or whatever the ID of the team is you loaded up). Paste your selfmade dornas (e.g. jbl_03_cavs.iff) there.

I hope it was not too confusing what I wrote here... If you have questions, feel free to ask me.

edit: I see shuajota has posted a Tutorial vid. Maybe this is better than my text here :D
jk31

Postby Davi Soares Pacheco on Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:17 pm

jk31 wrote:You definitely need NBA 2k Explorer to look up the dorna files of the teams. From there, load up the team, that you want to add dornas. Search for every file inside of it, which begins with "dornas/...". Extract every of those files.

Now from the name of the file you can see, of how much segments the display panel consists. E.g. jbl_03_cavs.iff means, the cavs display panel consists of 3 segments. jbl_05_twolves.iff means, the TWolves have 5 segments.

Now start your favorite graphic editing program (I use photoshop, but you can use everything you want). You need to be able to save files as .dds. For photoshop, there is a plugin, that enables this (Link).
The picture of every panel segment needs to be exactly the size of 512 x 128. Using the Cavaliers as an example again, this means you need to create a new file with proportions of 1536x128, because 512 * 3 = 1536. Now fill the picture with the ad you want to show up in the game. For finding the pictures just google the company or whatever you want to show it. If you need text to show up (for example if there is also text besides just the logo, which you don't find via google picture search), just use the text tool and try to find the correct or a similar font. After you're done creating the ad, merge all layers to one layer. Now create an selection with the exact size of 512 x 128 (the size of one dorna panel segment). Start on the upper left corner of the picture. Copy the selection and paste it into a new 512 x 128 file. Save this file as .dds using the following options (if you use the Intel Texture Works Plugin for Photoshop)).
[ Image ]
Continue with the next 512 x 128 segment of your ad. Select it and copy/paste it into a new file, then save it. Repeat until you have all segments of your picture.
Every dorna file also has single panel dornas which for example appear on the sides of the basket stanchion. To create these, just open up a new 512 x 128 file, and create the dorna here, save it as .dds.

If you are finished with everything (in case of the Cavs you now should have 3 files that together make up the big 3 segment dorna and 1 file for the single segment dornas), extract the .iff file (for example with 7zip). You now see several files called "panel_....dds". The .dds files starting with "panel_00", "panel_01" and "panel_02" are the files that result in the 3 segment dorna. Everything else are single segment dornas. Just replace every of these .dds files with your created files. Copy the name of "panel_00....dds" and rename your first file to it. Continue with the second and so on. The single one segment dorna file you have created you need to copy several times until you match the number of files that you have not already replaced (in case of the cavs, 3 files are replaced by your big 3 segment dorna, everything else has to be replaced by the single segment dorna). When you are finished, open the .iff file with 7zip again and replace the .dds files inside with your own .dds files. If it asks you if you want to overwrite these files, do so! After you are finished, go to "NBA 2k18/modded/dornas" and create a subfolder with the team ID there. For the cavs it is "004". You see the team ID inside of NBA 2k explorer, because when you load up a specific team there will be a file which is named 004.iff (for the cavs, or whatever the ID of the team is you loaded up). Paste your selfmade dornas (e.g. jbl_03_cavs.iff) there.

I hope it was not too confusing what I wrote here... If you have questions, feel free to ask me.

edit: I see shuajota has posted a Tutorial vid. Maybe this is better than my text here :D

Hi jk31, I want to thank you for the contribution made here! I ask the understanding to all because I am new with mods for nba 2k. I find the work done with realistic dornas fantastic as it makes the game very realistic. I've never done dornas for nba 2k and wanted to start learning to make it available to everyone who might also be interested in this mod.

I got a little understanding of what you said, but I still have many doubts. it will be of extreme help if you can do a tutorial on how to create them. In this tutorial you can also do for teams that do not have specific dornas, because I wanted to understand how to look for these files. Thank you and sorry for my English. I'm from South America, Brazilian
Davi Soares Pacheco

Postby Sith on Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:57 pm

jk31 wrote:The picture of every panel segment needs to be exactly the size of 512 x 128.

I would recommend to use higher resolution than 512x128. I like 2048x512 :)
This world would be much better if people stopped doing useless things and started creating really good stuff...
Sith

Postby jk31 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:21 pm

Sith wrote:
jk31 wrote:The picture of every panel segment needs to be exactly the size of 512 x 128.

I would recommend to use higher resolution than 512x128. I like 2048x512 :)

Ah didn't know that. Thought it had to be the same resolution. Thanks for clarifying that!
jk31

Postby Davi Soares Pacheco on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:13 am

and then, some help, some other tutorial more exemplified. I would not want to be without learning to edit dornas!
Davi Soares Pacheco

Return to NBA 2K18 Modding