The Best NBA 2K Game?

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

Which NBA game by 2K would you rate as the best?

NBA 2K18
13%
NBA 2K17
11%
NBA 2K16
13%
NBA 2K15
3%
NBA 2K14
21%
NBA 2K13
3%
NBA 2K12
3%
NBA 2K11
32%
NBA 2K10
3%
NBA 2K9
No votes

Total votes : 38

The Best NBA 2K Game?

Postby TheRocket on Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:33 pm

What do you think. I preordered and have been playing 2k18 as every other NBA 2K since 2K9 when it was introduced to the PC. I switched to PS4 in 2014 so I played 2ks from 2k9 till 2k14 on pc and from 2k15 to 2k18 on PS4 and it's hard for me to say. I remember having most fun playing 2K11, i remember it as being really challenging, something i miss about a couple of latest editions and i remember it as having a fine balance between offense and defense. And when you add the Jordan mode, simplistic but really solid MyCareer, I am giving my vote to it. I don't really remember 2k15 but 2k16 2k17 and 2k18 all had some flaws that i am having hard time looking past. 2K16 i remember people having such a hard time making CPU shoot enough 3s and make CPU offense aggressive enough. 2K17 and 2k18 have CPU flaws that made them too easy for me so I have had to play in a certain way to avoid it. 2K17, CPUs Pick and Roll defense, just terrible. 2K18, CPUs one on one defense, also terrible.

I've seen people really speaking high of 2k14 on next gen so maybe I'll give it a try since I only played it on last gen.
TheRocket

Re: The Best NBA 2K Game?

Postby sticky-fingers on Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:38 am

NBA 2K11 in my opinion. I often go back to this version.
The game flow is perfect, i love isomotion, CPU offers a real challenge.
2K14 is near, i love the controls, but i dont have the same feeling, cant really explain why.

On current gen, 2K18, you're right about the one on one defense, but I "fix" it by tweaking CPU help defense, CPU coach options and sliders ; so i'm pretty satisfied by the result and this release.
I also appreciate 2K15, and I cant play anymore 2K16 (i dont have the vanilla .exe) and dont really enjoy 2K17, so predictable, so scripted.
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:25 am

For me, it's NBA 2K17 on this gen (By a lot). I will say though, that's with the December exe before the patches butchered it. Post all the patches, the game was not much fun at all.

NBA 2K18 is not playable for me. I get no enjoyment out of it. Between the skating, the horrid one on one defense, the terrible AI, the dead graphics (Minus up close) and dead atmosphere, etc etc I literally don't find myself ever wanting to play it.

NBA 2K16 had heavy bodies (Stuck in the mud), a bit more input lag, and some strange dribbling mechanics. I wasn't a fan of 2K16 at all.

NBA 2K15 was graphically dull, same with the atmosphere. The game also struggled from a bit of input lag and heavy players, though not as much as 2K16.

NBA 2K14 this gen (I had it for XBOX One) was AWESOME. Where it lacked was in modes, and content in general. Gameplay wise, I had a blast. The gameplay overall was simple, but effective, and graphically it was gorgeous. What killed me was no multi-user association, and the fact that I couldn't mod it. I'd say that the final product of NBA 2K14 on this gen was the best, most fun. But with the ability to mod, and use the pre heavily version, NBA 2K17 wins out.

For last gen, I'd say that NBA 2K14 will always hold a special place with me. It was the first game I discovered the UBR on, and later on downloaded the URB, the URB for 2K13, and the UBR for 2K12. However, the gameplay on 2K14 is as simple as it can get (Because that was the first year the consoles got this gen). Gameplay wise, 2K13 is probably the best on last gen minus the blocking mechanics, overall gameplay I'd give it to 2K12 (However, the graphics are the worst on 2K12 between 2k9 and 2k14 last gen). I am also quite partial to 2K10 and 2K9, considering how polished they felt, how you can tell they really were putting in the work to make the gameplay special.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby TheRocket on Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:51 am

Dee4Three wrote:For me, it's NBA 2K17 on this gen (By a lot). I will say though, that's with the December exe before the patches butchered it. Post all the patches, the game was not much fun at all.

NBA 2K18 is not playable for me. I get no enjoyment out of it. Between the skating, the horrid one on one defense, the terrible AI, the dead graphics (Minus up close) and dead atmosphere, etc etc I literally don't find myself ever wanting to play it.

NBA 2K16 had heavy bodies (Stuck in the mud), a bit more input lag, and some strange dribbling mechanics. I wasn't a fan of 2K16 at all.

NBA 2K15 was graphically dull, same with the atmosphere. The game also struggled from a bit of input lag and heavy players, though not as much as 2K16.

NBA 2K14 this gen (I had it for XBOX One) was AWESOME. Where it lacked was in modes, and content in general. Gameplay wise, I had a blast. The gameplay overall was simple, but effective, and graphically it was gorgeous. What killed me was no multi-user association, and the fact that I couldn't mod it. I'd say that the final product of NBA 2K14 on this gen was the best, most fun. But with the ability to mod, and use the pre heavily version, NBA 2K17 wins out.

For last gen, I'd say that NBA 2K14 will always hold a special place with me. It was the first game I discovered the UBR on, and later on downloaded the URB, the URB for 2K13, and the UBR for 2K12. However, the gameplay on 2K14 is as simple as it can get (Because that was the first year the consoles got this gen). Gameplay wise, 2K13 is probably the best on last gen minus the blocking mechanics, overall gameplay I'd give it to 2K12 (However, the graphics are the worst on 2K12 between 2k9 and 2k14 last gen). I am also quite partial to 2K10 and 2K9, considering how polished they felt, how you can tell they really were putting in the work to make the gameplay special.

Sadly the first thing that comes to my mind when i think about 2k17 are these really ugly player models, don't know how and why that happened. But I remember having fun with that game with the right sliders and settings, there was a guy on OS, his sliders really made the game much better and i enjoyed it. I personally like 2k18 more, but I totally get why someone would think the other way around. If 2K could someone make kind of a mix of both version's defense that would be cool. 2K18's pick and roll defense but better, it's still not great, and 2k17's one on one defense but not that tight.

It seems to me that 2k14 and 2k11 will get the majority of the votes, and I think 2k should look into that info.
TheRocket

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:15 am

TheRocket wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:For me, it's NBA 2K17 on this gen (By a lot). I will say though, that's with the December exe before the patches butchered it. Post all the patches, the game was not much fun at all.

Sadly the first thing that comes to my mind when i think about 2k17 are these really ugly player models, don't know how and why that happened. But I remember having fun with that game with the right sliders and settings, there was a guy on OS, his sliders really made the game much better and i enjoyed it. I personally like 2k18 more, but I totally get why someone would think the other way around. If 2K could someone make kind of a mix of both version's defense that would be cool. 2K18's pick and roll defense but better, it's still not great, and 2k17's one on one defense but not that tight.

It seems to me that 2k14 and 2k11 will get the majority of the votes, and I think 2k should look into that info.

If 2K14 (This gen) was moddable, or if it had a multi-user association, I would probably still be playing that a lot. It was a great game.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny4118 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:04 pm

I am going with the 18, for two reasons...I guess I am not as serious about some of the fine details as others, or I just have a short memory about the frustrating things. Secondly, some of the roster editing features are much more improved over 17. Since I like to over haul rosters pretty much in their entirety, being able to move players without constantly having to trade players to the classic teams and now the All time teams. Plus, there were a lot of rather useless teams with the Euro league that added another layers of frustration when setting up My League with altered teams when utilizing rosters that were under some of those Euro teams.
Kenny4118

Postby Kevin on Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:08 pm

2k17 for this gen and 2k14 for the last gen.

2K17 still holds up to my standards till this day and I really enjoy every bit of that game. For 2k14, it still is the best 2k game ever imo. Because of how moddable the game was - thanks to a lot of people (jao, leftos, vlad). I still go back to 2k14 sometimes and play the 04-05 season with the Lakers or the 09-10 even. Sometimes I'd start from a weird year like 1991 (UBR/URB) and use their draft classes for the succeeding year. I can easily say that out of the games I've played my entire life, I think 2k14 had the most hours put into it just by playing it. Dont get me started on how much time I created my mods for that game. Also had the best MyCareer too.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Jeffx on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

sticky-fingers wrote:NBA 2K11 in my opinion. I often go back to this version.
The game flow is perfect, i love isomotion, CPU offers a real challenge.

Yes, yes, YES! I'd go back to PS3 2K11 if I could get updated rosters.
Jeffx

Postby sticky-fingers on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:34 am

you can play on PC, there's enough good mods and draft classes.
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/6312
sticky-fingers

Postby CarolusXCI on Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:40 pm

Last gen, probably I had most fun with 2k13, followed by 2k14. 2k11 is cool too, but not the GOAT to me. Hook shots, fadeaways and dunks were kinda slower in comparison to the rest of the game and that was annoying. 2k12 is meh. The other ones I didn't play much, since I don't own them.

From the current gen, I played 2k14 for the first time recently and I found it very enjoyable. I just wish there were more options for customization (create a player for example). Graphics look cool but there are too many lights going on and the court looks way too bright.

I also got to play NBA 2k15 for the first time two weeks ago and I think it is right now my favorite current gen iteration. Simple gameplay, with not too many unnecessary animations. I really enjoy posting up by just hitting Y instead of holding a trigger. I also enjoy the fact that by the time 2k hadn't yet implemented those generic follow through animations that occur depending on the shot outcome. I don't like those at all.

2k16 was hard to control players. 2k17 has those horrid bodymodels and that annoying fake coach. 2k18.. well, it is simply broken. Although I must admit that before figuring out the blow by exploit, I was having fun with it. At least strictly in terms of in-game roster editing, 2k18 is possibly the best yet.

So yeah, something between 2k13 and 2k15 is the best in my opinion.
CarolusXCI

Return to NBA 2K18