NBA 2K18 difficulty

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

NBA 2K18 difficulty

Postby Jonizo on Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:54 pm

Hi yall,

Im just wondering how yall doing playing 2k18 so far.. i'm finding the game difficult even on a pro level. Shots usually misses even on good/wide open releases. Also missing lots of layups.

What yall think?
This topic was moved from NBA 2K18 Modding by Andrew on Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:12 pm.
Jonizo

Re: NBA 2K18 difficulty

Postby Andrew on Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:13 pm

There does seem to be a bit of a spike in difficulty this year, even on the lower levels. More so in MyCAREER, in my experience, but the AI is a bit tougher and smarter on the lower levels than in years past.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:55 pm

From my observation the game becomes much better when you switch to Real Player % for shooting and free throws.

Also increasing difficulty can level the playing field to some extent.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby JWL3 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:53 pm

I cannot tell the difference between Pro and Hall of Fame. My stats are identical and the defense is identical and my win-loss record is identical. 2K has lost all credibility for me now (like Apple after iOS 8 intentionally slowing down older iPads iPhones) and I refuse to give them the benefit of the doubt - I think they did it to make VC that much more difficult to grind and force you to buy it.
JWL3

Postby Jonizo on Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:48 pm

Thanks for the feedbacks. Glad to know im not just going crazy bout the difficulty.
Jonizo

Postby JWL3 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:26 pm

Dommy73 wrote:From my observation the game becomes much better when you switch to Real Player % for shooting and free throws.

Also increasing difficulty can level the playing field to some extent.

Does real player % mean that the release point doesn't matter at all? Just the shot selection? Bball games used to be fixed that way - I like the sense of control when releasing a shot at the perfect point.
JWL3

Postby ThePointForward on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:34 am

It does (well selection and attributes). I like not being screwed by a "Good" release... Or having centers shoot lights out from the free throw line. Especially when controlled by me.

For example Tristan Thompson, dude is shooting career average of 51%. 60% last season (he's pretty consistently improving). His free throw form is easy to green a lot.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby JWL3 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:02 am

Dommy73 wrote:It does (well selection and attributes). I like not being screwed by a "Good" release... Or having centers shoot lights out from the free throw line. Especially when controlled by me.

For example Tristan Thompson, dude is shooting career average of 51%. 60% last season (he's pretty consistently improving). His free throw form is easy to green a lot.

I remember a looong thread I posted a few years ago where I complained that the game engine was too random in its decision of whether a shot went in or not - it felt like I was watching a bball game, not being a part of and impacting the game. I don't want all open shots to go in. However, I do want the majority of open shots to go in and it's very annoying when a few wide open good releases brick in a row. 2K17 and 2K16 seems to have a good balance of that - I never once complained that I worked hard to get an open shot, had a good release, and then because of overpowering momentum bs or something or other, missed it. I hate when game devs tweak what isn't broken. It's like recreating the same problems that they solved a generation ago.

If the free throw thing bothers you (centers hitting too frequently), you can just turn up the free throw difficulty. I think it would still give you full control of the free throw but you have to time the release much better to get it in. I just hate the idea that I'm not fully in control of the entire game, even though sports video games will always be decided by a random number generator.
JWL3

Postby ThePointForward on Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:12 am

I don't think the free throws are just easy on my side, but on CPU side too for some reason. Like even against me centers with career low FT% are having great nights from the line. When you look at their simulated stats they're fine, but in that one game against you they're great.

One thing I wish we could do is to have the percentage on the shot displayed for every shot, not just FT.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby benji on Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:13 pm

Shooting percentages within ten feet are so are seemingly broken imo. Last year they were really overpowered and it's like they've gone inverse. It has to be a bug of some sort, it's affecting layups, runners, etc. too since they all start within the range.

And it's not just humans, the AI has the same problem, and it especially seems to be damaging guards %'s because they also take threes. Probably because of their ability to drive at will. But they get stopped before they get to the basket and pull up for the low percentage five footer that bounces out 80% of the time.

Doesn't show up on the shot charts of 29 teams because the simulated stats are fine. But the band is pretty visible on your teams/players two shot charts.

So on the upside, while my Suns team is putting up shot %'s like it's the 1950's, we're also setting modern day defensive records by forcing deliberately and letting other teams shoot from there. Tyson Chandler is averaging 26 rebounds per 36 for me. Look out Wilt's never going to be broken in real life 55 rebound record, we're coming for you.
benji

Return to NBA 2K18