The defense is broken - VIDEO #3 WITH SLIDER TWEAKS!

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

Re: The defense is broken - VIDEO #3 WITH SLIDER TWEAKS!

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:00 pm

Yeah, I've mentioned the "hater" thing several times, as well as the "why don't you go play Live" arguement. It's really silly, and sad that a large population of people mentally are like that. They don't see the big picture whatsoever, they are very... very simple minded (I know that's being pretty harsh, but it's how I feel).

Unfortunately, I fear that far more of those people exist (especially in the targeted age bracket) than people like me exist. So 2K will probably continue raking it in no matter what product they put out, unless Live or someone else becomes the "cool" or "hip" thing to play, once another game starts "trending" it could turn 2K's significance down a tad.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby shinron15 on Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:18 pm

I've already said how I felt about 2K18, and going back to it for a short time on PS4 was not worth it at all. It's already bad enough with the poor defense, but since I'm on the PS4, I can't do a thing about the dull and dark crowd, and that equally as dark basketball.

Dee4Three wrote:So 2K will probably continue raking it in no matter what product they put out, unless Live or someone else becomes the "cool" or "hip" thing to play, once another game starts "trending" it could turn 2K's significance down a tad.

I'm starting to think a majority of 2K "fans" aren't actually fans, but as you said; followers just keeping on the trend of what's considered "cool." The reason why I think of this? Many 2K Youtubers started moving towards Fortnite, not because of how the gameplay was, but because it was the most streamed game, and was the "cool" and popular thing to do. Now this might sound harsh, but people tend to do this to make themselves feel relevant and up-to-date with "today's standards." At this point, 2K will prioritize their fanbase and cater to Neighborhood and the online modes, but at the same time, they will completely ignore nearly any issues with the gameplay itself. Skating, blowing past defenders by running in a straight line, and abysmal one on one defense? "Not my problem, therefore not a problem." A glitch that allows VC to be earned at a higher rate? That's a definite no-no, and will be patched out asap.

I wish people would actually analyze problems, and look past popularity, and what's "cool", but I don't think that's going to happen at this rate.
shinron15

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:35 pm

In fairness to YouTubers, they're battling an ever changing and often broken algorithm, and they're not necessarily as focused on one particular topic as a site and community like ours is. They can try different types of content, and indeed it benefits them to do so. Of course, it doesn't always lead to the best content, if the passion and knowledge isn't truly there.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
45? That's a bad luck number!
Administrator

Postby shinron15 on Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:23 am

That's understandable for people who want to establish a name for themselves. My thing is that a majority of the people nowadays won't even attempt to create original content, but rather have a follow-the-leader attitude. Yes, it's for popularity gain and a viewership increase, but that doesn't necessarily mean that what they're doing/playing will be the best of quality or content. The people who spend their time to do something innovative, and at times of spectacular effort won't get nearly as much views as say, the newest silly challenge video.

Tying this in with 2K18, due to the popularity that the series has received, as well as becoming mainstream, the majority of the community will refuse to look at the flaws of the game, and will continue to play, no matter what. It's been said that their fanbase hate the NBA Live franchise, on top of basically hating every franchise not related to basketball. I'm glad they're launching an E-League esque tournament for exposure, but with the way the game is now, it's going to be a cheesy, unbalanced mess. We have addressed issues about the game, and shown video proof of said issues, but the devs won't pay attention, they only want to see positive exposure of the game. Blackmailing reviewers, forcing them to change their review score, just to maintain a positive image of themselves? It's a sad thing to see. We are better than blindly defending the "coolest" game to play, because we can see through the so-called "hype", and are willing to give other basketball games a chance. At this point, the 2K series isn't even for true basketball fans anymore, it's just for the Playground players, and you know there are people who will blindly support this game by constantly purchasing VC.
shinron15

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:15 am

I agree. It's disheartening to see 2K cosy up to big YouTubers, and those big YouTubers do the wider basketball gaming community a disservice by not pointing out the game's flaws. To be fair there are some that have, or say it without saying it by moving on to other games, but it does seem they don't want to be too critical for fear of losing perks and a working relationship with 2K. Asking that site to change their score was a very shady move indeed.
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:49 am

Andrew wrote:I agree. It's disheartening to see 2K cosy up to big YouTubers, and those big YouTubers do the wider basketball gaming community a disservice by not pointing out the game's flaws. To be fair there are some that have, or say it without saying it by moving on to other games, but it does seem they don't want to be too critical for fear of losing perks and a working relationship with 2K. Asking that site to change their score was a very shady move indeed.

Bottom line, its a business above all. Regardless of what we may want to think... whatever can make them those most money (I.E Micro-Transactions) they will not only continue, but ramp up for as long as they can get away with it. Those big money generators will be the main focus, therefore the modes that produce the most money with them will generate the most focus (MyCareer, Online play). This is where gameplay, graphics, and just overall polish can take a backseat.

As Andrew pointed out, this game feels very rushed. They don't even have an intro to the game, it goes straight to the main menu. The gameplay feels like it was rushed or merely disregarded as a high priority.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:25 am

No doubt. And working with prominent YouTubers is good for business, a smart and effective way of promoting the game. It would just be nice if they were a little more transparent and fairer about certain things. They've gotten a little cocky, to the point where they pushed their luck with NBA 2K18.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby TheRocket on Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:01 pm

But I think this game has gotten a bad response by people overall, it's not like 2k is focusing the most on online part of the game and thus that part of the game is really good. We know about the metacritic score, I visit reddit/2k from time to time, operation sports, and many many people don't like this game, various people complain about various things, offline people don't like it because of the issues discussed here in more than one thread, online people don't like it because of VC as a most obvious reason, but it's not like people love the game as it is and they are just annoyed by the VC greed, there are many gameplay issues people complain about, whether it is the uncontested layups being missed, blocks on the way down, too many body blocks steals etc etc, many things we as the mostly offline comunity complain about, although our list is longer because we are unhappy with the way AI plays this year and online gamers don't have to deal with it nearly as much as we do.

I think that goes to show that gameplay must be a number one thing on the priority list. If you fix the gameplay, if is solid, balanced and people like it, people will swallow some other minor issues much easier. This is a quote from a guy from Operation Sports and I agree with this 100%, he wrote it under 2k19 wishlist "Spend a year fixing the massive laundry list of bugs, legacy gameplay issues and UI errors before even thinking about anything else... "

That's what 2k needs to do, we don't need neighbourhood 2, I mean it seems to me like most of the people don't even like the neighbourhood, I think it just doesn't fit modern online gaming, seems obsolete like Jahlil Okafor in the modern NBA, people just want to play the game, look at fortnite, so easy to join the game and you can play big number of games in a small amount of time, that's what people want.

One guy on reddit asked what would 2k had to do in order for you to buy it day one, some guy wrote "a miracle". I am pretty sure I won't be buying it on the release date, I mean I will try the demo but I am not sure it is going to give enough chance to test it so much that I can see if the gameplay is improved, if the issues are fixed etc. I am not sure 2k can fix all the issues we had in one year, maybe if they focused solely on fixing the game, not adding new fancy things, but that doesn't sell the game, neighbourhoods do, but it is what 2k desparetely needs at this point
TheRocket

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:25 pm

There has been very vocal backlash which has included low user scores, and plenty of posts around the Internet expressing frustration and displeasure. At the same time, there have been a lot of voices defending the game and calling the criticism "hating", and a lot of the professional reviews have been positive, glossing over or completely ignoring glaring problems. There's definitely been more backlash over NBA 2K18 than I can remember for any previous NBA 2K game, though.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:11 am

TheRocket wrote:But I think this game has gotten a bad response by people overall, it's not like 2k is focusing the most on online part of the game and thus that part of the game is really good. We know about the metacritic score, I visit reddit/2k from time to time, operation sports, and many many people don't like this game, various people complain about various things, offline people don't like it because of the issues discussed here in more than one thread, online people don't like it because of VC as a most obvious reason, but it's not like people love the game as it is and they are just annoyed by the VC greed, there are many gameplay issues people complain about, whether it is the uncontested layups being missed, blocks on the way down, too many body blocks steals etc etc, many things we as the mostly offline comunity complain about, although our list is longer because we are unhappy with the way AI plays this year and online gamers don't have to deal with it nearly as much as we do.

I think that goes to show that gameplay must be a number one thing on the priority list. If you fix the gameplay, if is solid, balanced and people like it, people will swallow some other minor issues much easier. This is a quote from a guy from Operation Sports and I agree with this 100%, he wrote it under 2k19 wishlist "Spend a year fixing the massive laundry list of bugs, legacy gameplay issues and UI errors before even thinking about anything else... "

That's what 2k needs to do, we don't need neighbourhood 2, I mean it seems to me like most of the people don't even like the neighbourhood, I think it just doesn't fit modern online gaming, seems obsolete like Jahlil Okafor in the modern NBA, people just want to play the game, look at fortnite, so easy to join the game and you can play big number of games in a small amount of time, that's what people want.

One guy on reddit asked what would 2k had to do in order for you to buy it day one, some guy wrote "a miracle". I am pretty sure I won't be buying it on the release date, I mean I will try the demo but I am not sure it is going to give enough chance to test it so much that I can see if the gameplay is improved, if the issues are fixed etc. I am not sure 2k can fix all the issues we had in one year, maybe if they focused solely on fixing the game, not adding new fancy things, but that doesn't sell the game, neighbourhoods do, but it is what 2k desparetely needs at this point

This is why I don't discount the reactions I see on Steam, Reddit, Metacritic, etc. Why? Because it's still the pulse, people are still taking the time to go on and express frustration about the game and company (Which includes questionable company practices). And it's not a few, it's a lot. Just like not everybody who has a positive feeling about the company and game will post, people with a negative view will also not post. Like myself, who has posted on here, but hasn't posted my frustrations anywhere else. While yes some people like the game, it seems that there is a big part of the population that has many, many issues with it.

I've said this before, I went back and looked at the comments about 2K8 through 2K14... and most of them are positive. It was actually tough finding anybody who trashed on the game, and if they did... it was a small thing here or there. Almost everybody that I saw commented made positive comments about the overall game. It's not that way anymore. It was easy to tell that back when those games were released, 2K truly cared about the basketball aspect of the game, the on court action.

You can absolutely gauge the pulse of a game by looking around on Steam, Youtube, Reddit, Metacritic, Facebook, etc. If a lot of people are complaining about the same issues, that's obviously a red flag. It means that a bulk of people are noticing the flaws, and they are being frustrated by them.

Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby TheRocket on Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:29 am

I hope people are watching Blazers Pelicans series and see what a real tough defense looks like, Holiday putting clamps down on Lillard,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e19cGbaGCPA

I hope it is going to stop that "no handcheck ergo no defense in todays nba" talk that some people in this thread have. Look at the 1 on 1on ball defense, pick and roll defense, I forgot how much I love it
TheRocket

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:39 am

TheRocket wrote:I hope people are watching Blazers Pelicans series and see what a real tough defense looks like, Holiday putting clamps down on Lillard,

I hope it is going to stop that "no handcheck ergo no defense in todays nba" talk that some people in this thread have. Look at the 1 on 1on ball defense, pick and roll defense, I forgot how much I love it

Agreed, and I do believe that overall the last few years the defense has been allowed to be more hands on. While brick wall defense from 2K17 is a little much, atleast you can be stopped by the defense. As opposed to in 2K18, where you can just run by your defender. Imagine watching this video, and seeing Lillard just run by Holiday over and over for free layups.....

I mentioned it a couple pages back when Semi Ojeleye locked down Giannis in numerous plays of the second half of the C's vs Bucks game.

Holiday wasn't allowing Lillard to get comfortable, he wasn't allowing him to get where he wanted to go on the floor. Bumping your man absolutely happens, and shutting down the offensive player from getting to the hoop (By beating him to the spot) absolutely happens all the time in the NBA. The defender can't beat you to the spot and stop the drive really in NBA 2K18, because all you have to do is just run forward (Keep moving forward) to the hoop and he ends up on your hip.

Here was my Semi defense example

phpBB [video]

Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sticky-fingers on Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:14 am

hova- wrote:
sticky-fingers wrote:Coach' settings are the same for player and CPU. But CPU coach never changes, never adjust and default options are on manual or off.

Where's a quick video :
phpBB [video]

you had to do that before each game, because theses settings arent in an options menu.

How can this post not raise any eyebrows? It actually makes help defense fianally existent! Although I still dont like the AI on helping out, finally they will help out when you iso.

Great find, but how bad is the 2k development team when the CPU does not use ANY of the settings available. How bad is that!? I am so glad I was lucky and only spent 10 bucks on the game on ebay. They dont deserve any money for that.

i can bump too :mrgreen:
my NBA2K : flickr | YouTube
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:23 am

sticky-fingers wrote:
hova- wrote:
sticky-fingers wrote:Coach' settings are the same for player and CPU. But CPU coach never changes, never adjust and default options are on manual or off.

Where's a quick video :
phpBB [video]

you had to do that before each game, because theses settings arent in an options menu.

How can this post not raise any eyebrows? It actually makes help defense fianally existent! Although I still dont like the AI on helping out, finally they will help out when you iso.

Great find, but how bad is the 2k development team when the CPU does not use ANY of the settings available. How bad is that!? I am so glad I was lucky and only spent 10 bucks on the game on ebay. They dont deserve any money for that.

i can bump too :mrgreen:

I have already tried this, and it absolutely did not do anything for me. The help defense was as bad as it was before, and obviously it doesn't do anything for the horrible on ball defense (Where you can just run by your defender). The player who is playing is also just not continuing forward, he sees that other defender, so he stops, when in realty he can just continue forward.

Also, that would be a bad solution anyway, as it basically forces that other defender to leave his guy completely wide open at the top of the key or other side of the floor.

This doesn't work, but even if it did, 2K needs to do better by default. You know that as well as I do. Look at the unbelievable ridiculous defense the on ball defender is playing on that video, its silly.

Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sticky-fingers on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:08 pm

Dee4Three wrote:The help defense was as bad as it was before

It's not possible.

Dee4Three wrote:and obviously it doesn't do anything for the horrible on ball defense

It does with the topic, help defense is broken, on ball defense too.

This tip helps a lot on help defense, whatever you can say, i'm pretty sure that C or PF will come block your "iso" tip. And it also activates double team.

But you're right it "forces that other defender to leave his guy completely wide open at the top of the key or other side of the floor" but that's what happens in real NBA.
And it doesnt fix on ball defense (only 2K could).
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:17 am

We just have a different experience with it, maybe. Because I remember trying this and still just getting to the hoop easily.

And right, 2K is the only one who could fix the defensive mess as it is, sliders/settings edits don't fix it this year.

Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Ovi on Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:01 am

Bro, i been experimenting with various sliders for the last 10 days or so, and i can tell you the game isn't as bad now, for trying to make the game play the way i want it, i think i've turned into john nash jr along the way haha

Want to stop the drives?

Lower the driving contact shot frequency, & inside contact shot frequency to below 34
tougher CPU on defense, raise the defensive consistency & defensive awareness & help defense sliders
Better Cpu on offense raise the offensive awareness to 60 or 65 and you'll see the CPU make slicing passes, no look passes,

I think the game at default is broken, and plays like a arcade game, but with little tweaking it can suit your liking, specially if you play it with offensive sets full viewing.

just my 2 cents (Y)
Ovi

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:25 am

Sliders are broken, at least till 1.09
sticky-fingers

Postby diamenz on Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:54 am

Ovi wrote:Bro, i been experimenting with various sliders for the last 10 days or so, and i can tell you the game isn't as bad now, for trying to make the game play the way i want it, i think i've turned into john nash jr along the way haha

Want to stop the drives?

Lower the driving contact shot frequency, & inside contact shot frequency to below 34
tougher CPU on defense, raise the defensive consistency & defensive awareness & help defense sliders
Better Cpu on offense raise the offensive awareness to 60 or 65 and you'll see the CPU make slicing passes, no look passes,

I think the game at default is broken, and plays like a arcade game, but with little tweaking it can suit your liking, specially if you play it with offensive sets full viewing.

just my 2 cents (Y)

u do mean raise the contact shot frequency, right? or does it work differently than common sense suggests? wouldn't be surprising with 2k's track record lol.
diamenz

Postby Ovi on Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:22 am

diamenz wrote:
Ovi wrote:Bro, i been experimenting with various sliders for the last 10 days or so, and i can tell you the game isn't as bad now, for trying to make the game play the way i want it, i think i've turned into john nash jr along the way haha

Want to stop the drives?

just my 2 cents (Y)

u do mean raise the contact shot frequency, right? or does it work differently than common sense suggests? wouldn't be surprising with 2k's track record lol.

Yes it actually surprised me, but it does work differently than common sense,

Lower Contact Shot frequency & Lower inside shot frequency = More resistence on drives

Btw these two tabs are also linked with the Body-up sensitivity tab'

Meaning You have to also lower the body-up sensitivity below 45 as well, i found a sweet spot would be

Lower Contact shot frequency - 33 & Below
Body up-sensitivity - 40 & below

If you want to completely negate the easy drives, you can raise the "Help Defense", although that would open you up to winger 3-pointers

I'm working on some Drive & Kick Sliders to mimic the current common NBA scheme, that relies on driving and kicking to the 3-pointer, will post it when its done, its been driving me mad with all the experimenting, but i'm close
Ovi

Postby TheRocket on Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:33 pm

Ovi wrote:
diamenz wrote:

Want to stop the drives?

just my 2 cents (Y)

Yes it actually surprised me, but it does work differently than common sense,

Lower Contact Shot frequency & Lower inside shot frequency = More resistence on drives

Btw these two tabs are also linked with the Body-up sensitivity tab'

Meaning You have to also lower the body-up sensitivity below 45 as well, i found a sweet spot would be

Lower Contact shot frequency - 33 & Below
Body up-sensitivity - 40 & below

If you want to completely negate the easy drives, you can raise the "Help Defense", although that would open you up to winger 3-pointers

I'm working on some Drive & Kick Sliders to mimic the current common NBA scheme, that relies on driving and kicking to the 3-pointer, will post it when its done, its been driving me mad with all the experimenting, but i'm close

Does that fix pick and roll defense aswell?
TheRocket

Postby Ovi on Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:37 pm

Okay i found a very good balance

Set the following for both PC & User

Body-up Sensitivity - 40

Driving Contact shot frequency - 15
Close contact shot frequency - 15

And adjust the driving & close contact shot frequency from 15 and above to your liking.

Above 15 = less resistence going to the basked on drives and below is the opposite, i hope that works

I suggested previously, that you can start all these categories at (0) and go up from there based on your preference, the issue i have is, when you completely stifle drives, you eliminate the CPU and players Like Lebron, Lillard, Greek Freak, from simulating drives

Im using

40 & 33, 33

Ill post my modified sliders in the next two days, after i've ironed out a few things here and there
Ovi

Postby EccentricMeat on Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:52 am

EDIT 3: IGNORE EVERYTHING I SAID.

The settings that were working perfectly yesterday are having 0 effect on this issue today. GREAT...

HOWEVER, Ovi is on to something brilliant with his 3 settings (Body-Up set to 40, Drive/Inside Contact Shot Frequency both set to 33). After getting incredibly frustrated, I tried his settings again and WOW they did the trick. Sure, they won't stop EVERY drive to the basket, but they stop it often enough. And when they don't, it still provides great defense to contest the layup/dunk.

After plugging those 3 settings of his into my WIP slider set, I'm constantly getting stonewalled, stripped, or blocked by elite defenders and/or help defense when I force the layup.

GG Ovi. You're the man!
EccentricMeat

Postby fjccommish on Wed May 23, 2018 6:46 pm

After a long time not playing, I checked here to see if there were any fixes or workarounds.

Ovi's solution does nothing. Using those settings, I just played All Time Bills vs Warriors. My offense was controlling the Bulls' center, isoing every time, driving to the basket every time.

Gilmore: 48 points on 16 - 36 shooting

Noah: 20 points on 8-20 shooting.

There were some rebounds and other shots by other players before I could call for the ball.

This issue is the equivalent of NBA Live Basketball Jesus. How this game went on with such a game breaking issue is unbelievable.
fjccommish

Postby Dee4Three on Thu May 24, 2018 11:50 pm

Yes, the on ball defense has obviously not been fixed.

I think even worse than that is the skating. I've actually realized that the skating bothers me equally or more. It's sloppy, it looks unrealistic, it hurts the physics of the game.

Glad 2K18 is out in a few months, in the meantime Ill keep playing 2K17.

Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby EccentricMeat on Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:57 am

Game Speed - 48

Body-Up Sensitivity - 100

Driving Contact Shot Frequency - 25/100 (USER/CPU; Set the USER between 0 and 40; Lower value = less blow-by and more brick-wall/ride-the-hip animations)
Inside Contact Shot Frequency - 100
Layup Defense Strength (Takeoff) - 85
Layup Defense Strength (Release) - 80
Jump Shot Defense Strength (Gather) - 90
Jump Shot Defense Strength (Release) 95
Help Defense Strength - 100

Acceleration - 45
Speed - 25
On Ball Defense - 70
Defensive Awareness - 65
Lateral Quickness - 0/100 (USER/CPU)

Play Passing Lanes - 60
Attempt On Ball Steals - 100
Contest Shots - 80

Charging Foul - 100
Blocking Foul - 60/100 (Increase USER if you want to be called for fewer Charging Fouls, and have the CPU called for more Blocking Fouls, on USER drives)
Shooting Foul - 100/40 (Increase CPU if you want the USER to get more FTs)

Speed with Ball (Max) - 58/53 (Helps get rid of some of the CPU's fast forward dribble-drive animations)
Speed with Ball (Min) - 35
Acceleration with Ball (Max) - 55/50 (Helps get rid of some of the CPU's fast forward dribble-drive animations)
Acceleration with Ball (Min) - 35
Speed without Ball (Max) - 90
Speed without Ball (Min) - 45
Acceleration without Ball (Max) - 87
Acceleration without Ball (Min) - 45

These should definitely help keep the defender in front and give realistic animations. Lower shooting fouls for the USER so you don't get bailed out by the ref every time you attack the basket. All you need to do from here is tweak your Shot Success sliders so that a realistic amount of contested layups are made and missed.

Let me know how this works for you guys!
Last edited by EccentricMeat on Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EccentricMeat

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:12 am

I've literally done almost this exact slider set, this part mirrors mine.

Driving Contact Shot Frequency - 25/100 (USER/CPU; Set the USER between 0 and 40; Lower value = less blow-by and more brick-wall/ride-the-hip animations)
Inside Contact Shot Frequency - 100
Layup Defense Strength (Takeoff) - 85
Layup Defense Strength (Release) - 80
Jump Shot Defense Strength (Gather) - 90
Jump Shot Defense Strength (Release) 95
Help Defense Strength - 100

In one of my videos on here, I tried the lowering the speed thing (Very close to what you did). I Actually think I had it on like 15, and I was running to the hoop with Hassan Whiteside from the perimeter with no resistance. It doesn't make the defender stay in front of you at all, and this isn't a knock on you. I appreciate the people that are still trying to fix it, but it's a GAME MECHANIC issue that can't be fixed with sliders. Last night, I put on the game because I hadn't put it on in a few days, and it was literally the exact same thing. I had defensive sliders jacked up (like yours), speed down, and fouls up, I was literally just running in a straight line to the hoop. My brother was watching me play, and we were trying to see if anything had changed. I was getting to the hoop almost 100% of the time with anybody I wanted on the floor, including bigs from the perimeter.

Again, this isn't knocking your slider attempt, it's a game mechanic issue related to the motion system that literally can't be fixed. It's like the blocking glitch in 2K13, where you could turn the blocking slider up to 100, and still your hand would go THROUGH the ball and the offensive player would still finish. Sliders did nothing for that because it was a game mechanic issue.

Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby EccentricMeat on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:00 am

Not sure what else to say. With those settings i get plenty of great defense that either cuts off my path to the hoop, forces a charging foul, or the defender sticks with me the entire way and blocks/contests the shot leading to a miss more often than not.

Obviously with elite players like Lebron it’s still easy to get to the rim 1v1 (as it should be) but there should still be sufficient on-ball defense and help defense to contest the shot realistically.
EccentricMeat

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:15 am

EccentricMeat wrote:Not sure what else to say. With those settings i get plenty of great defense that either cuts off my path to the hoop, forces a charging foul, or the defender sticks with me the entire way and blocks/contests the shot leading to a miss more often than not.

Obviously with elite players like Lebron it’s still easy to get to the rim 1v1 (as it should be) but there should still be sufficient on-ball defense and help defense to contest the shot realistically.

It does not cut off your path to the hoop. I'll upload a video shortly using your sliders.

Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby EccentricMeat on Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:11 pm

Dee4Three wrote:
EccentricMeat wrote:Not sure what else to say. With those settings i get plenty of great defense that either cuts off my path to the hoop, forces a charging foul, or the defender sticks with me the entire way and blocks/contests the shot leading to a miss more often than not.

It does not cut off your path to the hoop. I'll upload a video shortly using your sliders.

Make sure to set Charging Fouls to 100 and Blocking Fouls to 60, you'll get called for tons of charges if you just run at the defender.
EccentricMeat

Postby jrlocke on Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:31 am

I have been playing a fictional league and the lower rated players give a much better balance to this blow by effect. I have two players on my roster that can iso the rest are only getting by defenders with good angles and proper spacing...I am really enjoying 2k18 more with this D League style roster.
2013 is the year?
Thanks to Vl@d, Leftos and all the other patchers for their hard work.
jrlocke

Postby bongo88 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:48 pm

TheRocket wrote:I hope people are watching Blazers Pelicans series and see what a real tough defense looks like, Holiday putting clamps down on Lillard,

just stopped by this thread, saw it had been posted recent. not staying long.

What i see here is point gaurd Lillard/Big Men having no idea how to run a pick and roll.

pick and roll 1 & 2 should have been a big man slip to the rim. big man screwed up
EDIT: https://youtu.be/5XLvqH9qoik?t=256 this is what lillard should have done for 1 &2. slow it down, set the screen, commit the defensive big man, bounce pass to the rolling big man. when read correctly, the pick and roll is unstoppable.

Pick and roll 3 Lillard should have hesitated into a bounce pass to the rolling big man (lillard screwed up) Lillard moving too fast and setting up his big man with no pass alley. side not: lillard raerly throws bounce passes..
Pick and roll 4 & 5: Lillard doesn't know how to use a offball screen. He should go watch some videos of reggie miller / ray allen. Lillard is moving way too fast and doesn't have his defender on his hip to better utilize the screen. lillard screwed up.
Pick and roll 6: lillard has good speed going into the pick and roll, but then he picks up his dribble. lost his mind. gotta keep his dribble alive. lillard screwed up.
pick and roll 7: lillard doesn't utilize the screen totally, then backs out, then picks up his dribble. ( for reference, here is donovan mitchell link with the similar scenario... notice the speed and set up of donovoan.... donovan slows his speed down, makes sure his defender is caught on the screen, then has options when coming off the screen. i'll come back to donovan later)
pick and roll 8: lillard uses screen proper, but loses the ball (lack of practice/technique??) error from lillard
pick and roll 9: lillard has a good sequence using the screen. no complaints. Just misses the jumper. can't really praise holiday for good defense. rather, praise lillard for using screen well.
pick and roll 10: same as above. no complaint. not sure why holiday is getting praise for defense (??)
pick and roll 11: Hooray! lillard can throw a bounce pass! :) great bounce pass, great pick/roll.... big man needs some post moves/corner three. big man fault
on ball defense 1: bad decision lillard
on ball defense 2: lillard not setting up his off ball screen. reggie ran that play many times. here's a tutorial from reggie that lillard should watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv3EyzBuRb4
on ball defense 3: lillard not set up first screen, no special defense there? maybe i missed something
instincts distruption 1: jump pass? is this the ymca? error lillard. maybe shoulda, you know, dribble around and throw a good pass to his teammates.

anyways, i'm a jazz fan always have been. also a pacer fan. watched alot of reggie. stockton malone reggie knew how to use screens. It's been cool to watch donovan mitchell develop his game. at the end of the year he used screens similar to stockton, slower speed, defender on hip, reading the defense.

Here is a donovan clip from earlier in the year: just totally blows the screen: https://youtu.be/PJBbl7N9BQc?t=53 donovan did this many times early in the year. too much speed, jump the screen, no awareness of where defender.
here is donovoan end of year in the playofs 2 plays, 2 screens, 2 different reads: https://youtu.be/PJBbl7N9BQc?t=149 EDIT: https://youtu.be/RvH1zaIisT0?t=122 put the wront link. it's like watching an old clip of stockon run a screen.

anyways, what i see from the lillard/holiday video is bad offense. either from the point gaurd or the big man.

Dee4Three wrote:Holiday wasn't allowing Lillard to get comfortable, he wasn't allowing him to get where he wanted to go on the floor. Bumping your man absolutely happens, and shutting down the offensive player from getting to the hoop (By beating him to the spot) absolutely happens all the time in the NBA. The defender can't beat you to the spot and stop the drive really in NBA 2K18, because all you have to do is just run forward (Keep moving forward) to the hoop and he ends up on your hip.

phpBB [video]

what i see in the giannis/semi is a 6'11 player (giannis) with no post moves on a 6'9 player (semi). giannis has good post position. defender on his back. Yet he has no post offense. why praise semi for regular post defense when we should be shutting down giannis for his pitiful post offense?

also, in the holiday/lillard video. i see nothing out of the ordinary about the Holiday pick and roll defense. I've watched many pick/rolls with stockton running point. He was put in many "uncomfortable" situtaions, but the correct pass sometimes was instant and sometimes took time to develop. i blame lillard for not utilizing screens proper. here is stockton running pick and roll. linkhe takes his time, uses his screen, gets his defender into the screen, then makes the correct read-- a pass or a shot. the fault lies in lillard's offense more than holiday's defense.

for proper offense technique, i propose you watch how the rookie donovan mitchell handles holiday on the picks. It's like watching stockton set up his defender.
https://youtu.be/ktGDLyPzJ6k?t=23 (holiday)
https://youtu.be/ktGDLyPzJ6k?t=48 (holiday)
https://youtu.be/ktGDLyPzJ6k?t=72 (holiday)
https://youtu.be/ktGDLyPzJ6k?t=88 (DeAndre Liggins)
https://youtu.be/ktGDLyPzJ6k?t=110 (holiday)
https://youtu.be/ktGDLyPzJ6k?t=126 (holiday) edit: the last clip is funny. end of the game, in the 4th quarter. after running into screens all game Holiday has no desire to be brickwalled by crowder. Holiday gives absolutely no effort on that crowder screen. folks just get tired when stockton/mitchell are properly slamming them into screens (malone/favors/gobert) all game long.

it's pretty much the whole video. again from later in the season when donovan learned how to use a screen.
anyways, not here to bother the whole 2k18 debate. i just watched the video and saw pitiful offense against regular defense. figured i'd ask why we aren't torching these folks bad offense. i see nothing special about the defense here.
bongo88

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:24 am

Bongo, the reason the Giannis video was shown is because he couldn't just run to the hoop, like in 2K18. That's the whole point of this thread.

In 2K18, Giannis doesn't need any moves, he can just run in a straight line and get to the hoop. In real life, players (like Semi) can stop that forward progress.

So your point about Giannis having no post moves is irrelevant to the thread. And honestly, there really is no debate anymore about the one on one and help defense on NBA 2K18, it's well established that it's flat out unrealistic, and can be exploited on basically every posession. Hopefully 2K19 fixes it. I am enjoying the Live 19 gameplay videos, because it looks like they have a good balance on defense.

Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bongo88 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:02 am

Dee4Three wrote:Holiday wasn't allowing Lillard to get comfortable, he wasn't allowing him to get where he wanted to go on the floor. Bumping your man absolutely happens, and shutting down the offensive player from getting to the hoop (By beating him to the spot) absolutely happens all the time in the NBA.

oh, this is what i was replying to. absolutely no where was holiday "beating lillard to the spot".
that video was full of horrible offense.

Dee4Three wrote:Bongo, the reason the Giannis video was shown is because he couldn't just run to the hoop, like in 2K18. That's the whole point of this thread.

i apologize, i havent been here in a while and forgot the point of this thread.

Please see above. The above statement was analyzing holiday/lillard. i see no where in that holliday/lillard video where holiday beat lillard to a spot. I just saw horrible offense.

Now that the purpose of the Giannis video is clearer, lets take a closer look at that giannis video.

Play 1.... Giannis backs down semi into the post, small hopstep right, turn around jumper.... don't really see semi "beating him to a spot" don't really see Giannis "trying to run to the hoop". Just a post battle for position. technically, giannis backed semi down to the lower post circle, then giannis created space for a turn around jumper. Giannis won that post battle, because it was a post battle. turn around jumper in the post is a good look if you have that in your arsenal (malone, kobe,jordan)

Play 2.... Giannis starts in the post, backs out to mid range, turns his backside towards the post and backs into the post again. Semi definitley beat Giannis to the spot, because Semi was allready in the spot... didn't move any. What type of player starts down low in the post, then backs out to mid range... seems like giannis has post confidence problems. Again, don't really see any great defense... just regular post defense... semi didn't relinquish the post, but Giannis wanted to be back in the post, because he turned around and started post play. again, not sure exactly how this shows a line drive/ hip animation.... all i see is post offense/ post defense (except for backing out to mid range... can you imagine malone/hakeem/barkley/duncan/jordan/kobe/ etc etc backing out to mid range from the post.... hillarious)

play 3.... I apologize, but i cannot find the start of that play. the clip starts in the middle of the play. But, assuming that Giannis was making a drive and not entering the post, then semi does stop a drive. But, assuming that giannis is entering the post (like the previous 2 plays) then semi is just in a post stance, and thrusts his hips forward to disrupt post entry position. Once again, i can't find the complete play.

ok.... i clipped the clip.... it is exactly 0.23 seconds of footage... i have turned it into a gif so that it can loop endlessly link. or you can right click this mp4 video and select loop.
phpBB [video]

and here we are.... 0.23 seconds of footage. but wait, i see a problem, Semi's right foot never moves. So without knowing the start of the play, we cannot determine if semi's right foot was in that spot when Giannis started his drive/post down (whatever we are calling it, lets call it a drive). So the question is: Did Giannis run into Semi's Stationary right foot???? or did Semi block giannis drive by movement. Both scenarios are plausible, sorry, I can't determine exactly which occured due to the nature of the clip. Of course, if we happen to find the whole play, then we can most definitely determine exactly which scenario occurred.

Edit: the longer i look at that gif, the longer i think Giannis might be in his post play position. if you look at Giannis feet, the right shuffles forward about a foot, and the left shuffles forward about a foot. This is more plausibly a post shuffle, which means they are in post offense/defense. which post scenarios have nothing to do with a line drive.

https://media.giphy.com/media/9rx8gezN0 ... /giphy.gif

But, If you decided to rest your whole argument on an indicsive 0.23 seconds of footage, i have politely posted the link to the gif so that you can use it at your leisure. May it strengthen the foundations of your crusade.

if the giannis/semi video is all post play, then the video is not valid towards your argument against line drive/hip animation stuffs. Have a good day.
bongo88

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:06 am

Bongo, you may have been better off not visiting the thread again. The point stands: Giannis could not just run in a straight line to the hoop, which is why he backs in to begin with. Players beat players to the spot all the time, that's defense, that's what we are taught playing basketball.

The reason players can't just run to the hoop in real life with no moves, is because defense exists. In NBA 2K18, the OLAY! defense happens right on the ball, you can literally just press forward on your joystick and get to the hoop, with help seldom coming even with sliders jacked up.

Again, it's established that the defense in NBA 2K18 is flat out horrible. I'm not the only person complaining about it, this game has received a lot of shit this year because of the gameplay issues. If Giannis wanted to just run to the hoop, he would have, if players in the NBA were allowed to literally just run forward and get easy baskets, they would, but they cant. In the other example, the team defense is also a HUGE problem in 2K18, whether it be pick n roll defense (a la, 2K17), help defense, weak side defense , etc. So yes, in the video sometimes the stop happens with help, but NOT in 2K18, so it furthers my points.

The defense overall is broken in 2K18. FYI - your comment about resting my whole argument on 0.23 seconds is not only inaccurate, but straight up being a dick. The way you talk to me, you come off as an arrogant, ignorant, ass. Your intentions in this thread are obvious, it's not about the defense, it's about me. That is obvious to any onlooker.

I have not only posted gameplay videos showing the problem(s), but have also talked extensively of why it's such a problem, this is outside of that Giannis video.

At this point, I'm going to tell it like it is. Bongo, get a fucking grip. Have the right intentions in a conversation, either that or get your head out of your ass in general. If this comes off as flaming, fine. Anybody with common sense looks at your posts and sees how much of a arrogant prick you come off as.

I am DONE with you until you get that fucking chip off your shoulder.

Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bongo88 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:52 am

Dee4Three wrote:I am DONE with you until you get that fucking chip off your shoulder.

haha. You posted a giannis/semi video about post play.

Dee4Three wrote:I mentioned it a couple pages back when Semi Ojeleye locked down Giannis in numerous plays of the second half of the C's vs Bucks game.

phpBB [video]

post play. i just pointed out it is all post play.

then you attack me and refuse to defend your giannis/semi video about POST PLAY

i can do it to

phpBB [video]

here's another video about post play.

hope that helps your arguments. It seems very relevant.

have a good day
bongo88

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:51 am

Bongo, you continue to be here for the wrong reason.

Fuck off.

This thread has gotten the attention It deserved. Now that we are in preview season for NBA Live and NBA 2K, I am requesting that the moderators lock this thread up. Especially in light of the current state of it, where the discussion has veered off into the personal realm, as opposed to the actual thread content.

Moderators, can you please lock this thread?

Thank you!

Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bongo88 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:17 pm

Dee4Three wrote:Especially in light of the current state of it, where the discussion has veered off into the personal realm, as opposed to the actual thread content!

I have not attacked anything about you. I have just discussed basketball.

First, y'all were praising the defense of the lillard/holiday video. I simply posted out it was more horrible lillard offense and rather standard holiday defense. i saw nothing special about the holiday defense. i saw lots of lacking items from the lillard offense.

Next, I discussed the giannis/semi video. I came to the conclusion that it is all post play. basketball decisions by giannis to enter the post stance, and begin post play. Semi hardly moved on defense. I can't help it if semi is stationary on defense and giannis decided to enter the post.

Dee4Three wrote:Bongo, you continue to be here for the wrong reason.

Fuck off.

This thread has gotten the attention It deserved. Now that we are in preview season for NBA Live and NBA 2K, I am requesting that the moderators lock this thread up. Especially in light of the current state of it, where the discussion has veered off into the personal realm, as opposed to the actual thread content.

Moderators, can you please lock this thread?

Thank you!

On the other hand, you have attacked me. Instead of discussing how Post play videos are relevant to your 2k18 turbo line drive complaints, you attacked me. Once again, i believe nowhere in this thread have i attacked you personally.

Dee4Three wrote: The point stands: Giannis could not just run in a straight line to the hoop, which is why he backs in to begin with.

Once again, semi is stationary... giannis decided to enter post play. exactly how does a decision to enter the post strenghten your argument?

Dee4Three wrote:The point stands: Giannis could not just run in a straight line to the hoop, which is why he backs in to begin with. Players beat players to the spot all the time, that's defense, that's what we are taught playing basketball.

once again, how did Semi "beat players to the spot all the time" when he was stationary? how can you beat someone to a spot if you are standing in the spot? semi was stationary, giannis stood for a second, thought about his offensive arsenal, and then decided to enter post play.

How does that video strengthen/support your argument? as far as i'm concerned, it seems null and void. absolutely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Why? because semi was stationary. because it is post play and we are discussing 2k18 line/drives/ defense/..... hmmmmmm..... are we discussing 2k18 post play? i believe i can select a button to begin backing down in the post. How is this giannis/semi video of post play relevant to the discussion at hand?

anyways, if you could please discuss basketball and stop calling me names, i'd appreciate it.

Have a good day
bongo88

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:31 pm

Bongo, you are insane. I am not answering any of your ignorant, pointless questions.

You are on this thread for the WRONG REASONS, and you know it.

I am having the thread locked up.

Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bongo88 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:54 pm

Dee4Three wrote:Bongo, you are insane. I am not answering any of your ignorant, pointless questions.

You are on this thread for the WRONG REASONS, and you know it.

I am having the thread locked up.

Once again, not a big fan of the name calling.
I see no reason for locking this thread, as i am both not offended and innocent of any mudslinging.
It's too bad you refuse to answer any questions. perhaps there were too many questions. I shall keep it simple:
How does praising a post offense/post defense video strengthen the main points of this thread?

there we go, one simple question.
bongo88

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:27 pm

I've already stated the reason. He wouldn't even need or think about going into the post if he could just run by him like in 2K18, he IS getting shut off by Semi, he's having to settle for bad shots.

Again, you are not making any points that are relevant here. Which is why your purpose here is not to talk about the defense, it's to come at me. And you are doing a mighty poor job of hiding it, it's obvious.

FYI - I created this thread, therefore I can have it locked. You have no say over it.

I messaged one of the Moderators to have this thread locked. It has gone off topic. Not that I need a reason to have it locked, but it's a perfectly acceptable one.

Bongo, I'll say again. Fuck off, flaming can come without swearing, you are flaming in your posts. It's obvious. I have enough actual serious shit going on in my life, I refuse to deal with childish games from an arrogant, trolling prick like yourself. Get a life man.

Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:46 am

The discussion does seem to have run its course, and I think we've covered it from all angles at this point. It is just going around in circles now and getting a bit tense, so locking it up and putting a bow on the conversation seems appropriate at this juncture.

Since the NBA 2K19 section is open now, perhaps we can start some productive discussions there about the improvements we're hoping to see, deal breakers in terms of getting the game, and so forth.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:13 am

I know I said the discussion had run its course, but in light of some of Beluba's comments in the Game Informer article about NBA 2K19, it's worth revisiting.

“It was embarrassing,” Wang admits. “There was a bug that we didn't find until very, very late with the collision detection. That's another thing that we're working on right now. We're spending a lot of time trying to make sure you just can't go through players and stopping them when you try to run into guys.”

Last year’s new motion system made it easier to blow by defenders with speed, but it went too far. Even lockdown defenders could be taken right off the dribble with startling regularity. This has been reworked in NBA 2K19 to make stick skills matter more than before and restore balance to the one-on-one interactions.

"We have to make this game more about bringing back the skill gap and making it about the users, the skill on the sticks to be successful,” Wang says. “It's all about matching your stick to where the guy's trying to get to. That's where you'll get the set-offs, the brick walls. You'll get blow-bys if the guy's stick is the wrong way."

“Interior defense was really rough last year,” Wang says. “When we went to the new motion system we ended up taking out a lot of the multi-actor animations that we had in the past, so it made it really tough to protect the rim. That's why there were so many missed lay-ups, it was kind of a band-aid to fix all that because you could pretty much get them at will. That's a lot better now, and so is the hit detection of when you are actually covered and when you are not.”

Seems the new motion system really did have a lot to answer for in last year's game.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:58 am

Thank you for posting that, Andrew.

You know what, I took a ton of shit in this thread. I was told my game was broken or that it wasn't loading right, that I was playing wrong, that sliders could fix it, that it wasn't as bad as I was saying, was told I needed to fake sim, etc.

Not only is Smoove talking about how it was gamebreaking on 2K18 online and offline, but now Mike Wang (beluba) states how much of a major problem it was both offline and online, about how because the blow bys (which he called it, which I have been talking about all along) were so bad, that it ruined the skill gap between players, as it could be easily exploited. Also, other youtubers have stated that the devs mentioned how bad the blow bys were.

They also mention interior defense (which goes along with help defense), and how the motion system didn't accommodate that we'll at all, and it's the other thing I have talked about over, and over, and over again in here and on sliders threads. Again, Smoove, the devs, youtubers, and Mike Wang himself talk about the interior defense/help defense/one on one defense being major problems for 2K18.

To think I took so much shit in this thread, and people denying it on "sim sliders" threads, claiming it could be fixed or curved. There was no playing SIM on 2K18, even faking it was almost impossible (in my opinion, it WAS impossible).

Last year (as Andrew mentioned) they promised amazing improvements on defense, specifically highlighting how the new motion system would help with the skill gap, and make defense more rewarding. Look what we got in 2K18, you think I'm optimistic with 2K19?

Smoove stated up and down that blow bys were still in the game, and basically said "I am sure they can be curved" but didn't say it could, and didn't sound very confident. From the 2K19 gameplay footage, I am not optimistic in the least.

I'll end up playing 2K19 (even if I return it later), if the defense is broken again (one on one, help defense, interior defense, etc), and I post video evidence of this with default and different slider sets, I want all of you who came at me to remember this thread. Remember the comments made by Wang, devs, youtubers about how big of a problem offline and online the defense was in 2K18 (eluding to it being gamebreaking), and think before you blindly defend the game.

I can't believe how much crap I put up with in this thread.

Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to NBA 2K18