The defense is broken - VIDEO #3 WITH SLIDER TWEAKS!

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

Re: The defense is broken (UPDATED WITH VIDEO EVIDENCE)

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:39 pm

nextnba wrote:Everyone has different preferences. Some people want a game where they can take a player and score 100. Others want a realistic game with defense. The game is not perfect but from what I've seen, it does allow us to make adjustments to meet our needs. The big issue I had with 2k17 was that speed would break and be inconsistent. Oddly, 2k actually noticed and fixed this by adding movement sliders that limits speed break. Now even if speed break, the limits will prevent it from breaking any further than the limit we set. GREAT!!! I also complained that most of us don't play 82 game schedule so we are stuck with the same schedule every year because 2k was too lazy to change the schedule for games less than 82. So every year, we get laker vs denver as our first game. Well 2k actually fixed that this year! The big problem with D last year was that CPU defense would not guard the 3 point line. Everyone end up shooting 3's. This year CPU now guards 3's and they even come right up to your face, putting their hand on you!

There are things about the game that I don't like but I also recognized that is just my own preference. Not everyone will feel as me. A few years ago, we complained about offensive rebound so 2k end up decreasing all the player's rating on offensive reb. I hated this because I wanted cpu to go after offensive reb so that I can battle for board, making rebounding more enjoyable and competitive. Instead of complaining, I go and increase the offensive reb rating for all the players back to before. I also like a game that plays better defense so yes, I do go and increase on ball defense for most of the G and SF and I still set slider to 100 for on-ball defense. I know this is alot of work and you're saying you shouldn't have to do this, but 2k is not going to make a game just to make one person happy. They are trying to meet the need of the mass.

I am having a hard time driving to the hoop so I'm even wondering if you done something that is making it easy for you. For example, in Hall of Fame, ball security is set to 20 for user and 50 for CPU. I thought about changing this because I lose the ball a lot to CPU. But I did not because it does make me play more careful. I'm not forcing my drives because CPU will steal or I will lose the ball. I'm more careful with my pass because CPU plays the passing lane well. In all, I'm sure you can make the game playable if you're willing to make the corrections needed.

Done something that has made it easy for me? I am on HOF on that video (default hof).

I've tried messing with the defensive sliders and I still get to the hoop whenever I want, others in here said that as well.

Are you accusing me of lying? And if I am, the others as well?

Also, you sound like you are trying to educate me on what 2K attempts to appeal to. Give me a break, I stated that it's not good for anybody if you can drive by the CPU almost 100% of the time without doing moves, which I proved in my video. That is not good period, the system needs work, and that's a fact. And that's what this thread is for, to provide that feedback hoping for a fix. Andrew sends the feedback on here to 2K.

Acting like it's not a problem, is not good at all.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby hova- on Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:49 pm

Dee, I just don't like the tone your setting.

Everybody who does not have your opionion is "accusing you of lying" or "saying your complaining and not seeking an answer".

Everyone who tries to find a way to solve the problem gets a strict "No, it's not possible" from you.

Everyone who tries to justify the gameplay, simply because there are many different tastes of how the game should feel gets a "there is no debate", "there are no excuses".

It actually takes away the fun/will to even reply on the topic.

You totally ignored that post with the youtube sequences that showed how easily driving to the hoop can be in the NBA.
You totally ignored my replies where I said that ball security and help defense is something that helps a lot, making driving harder.

Sure, a gameplay patch could solve the problem (and maybe also fix some other stuff), but as long as we don't get that patch, we have to discuss. So let's create an atmosphere of discussion that is actually fertile for solutions ...
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:08 pm

hova- wrote:Dee, I just don't like the tone your setting.

Everybody who does not have your opionion is "accusing you of lying" or "saying your complaining and not seeking an answer".

Everyone who tries to find a way to solve the problem gets a strict "No, it's not possible" from you.

Everyone who tries to justify the gameplay, simply because there are many different tastes of how the game should feel gets a "there is no debate", "there are no excuses".

You totally ignored that post with the youtube sequences that showed how easily driving to the hoop can be in the NBA.
You totally ignored my replies where I said that ball security and help defense is something that helps a lot, making driving harder.

Sure, a gameplay patch could solve the problem (and maybe also fix some other stuff), but as long as we don't get that patch, we have to discuss. So let's create an atmosphere of discussion that is actually fertile for solutions ...

My tone is fine.

An accusation was made that he believed I was making it easier somehow, which would entail me lying about it being on HOF for that video. So that's why I said that. I refuse to be called a liar.

Also, I tried the slider tweaks mentioned here (with the exception of the most recent ones mentioned), and I was still just running by the defender easily. I absolutely am testing things out still and taking people's ideas and implementing.

I havn't had a bad tone on here. I will continue to try and find a solution, I've always been open in conversation here, and outside of here. I will continue to do that.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:35 pm

Oh, and I stand by what I said. No basketball title that claims to be simulation should allow a user to blow by the CPU to the hoop on almost every posession on the hardest level. And, if the user preference is for the game to be as easy as it possibly can get even when playing on the hardest level, you would be correct that this preference is satisfied with the games current defensive system.

I respect people's gameplay preferences, but I am also realistic.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:56 am

You're right about drive problem, yes it's happen on HoF, yes the game is too easy.

You dont want to change speed and acceleration. But HoF arent balanced. So what's the point ?

But like hova-, the feeling is that you complain about things that you don't want to fix although you can with sliders, and you already did it on previous NBA 2K.

There's no perfect version of NBA 2K and this one doesnt meet your expectations.

You know the respect i have for your work. It would be a shame for this game, but Dee, you don't have to love 2K18, play it and even mod it.
You do not owe us anything, no one (at least with a functionnal brain) will blame you if you stay one more year (or more) on 2K17 - like skoadam does on old gen - and release nothing on 2K18 ;)
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:08 am

sticky-fingers wrote:You're right about drive problem, yes it's happen on HoF, yes the game is too easy.

You dont want to change speed and acceleration. But HoF arent balanced. So what's the point ?

But like hova-, the feeling is that you complain about things that you don't want to fix although you can with sliders, and you already did it on previous NBA 2K.

There's no perfect version of NBA 2K and this one doesnt meet your expectations.

You know the respect i have for your work. It would be a shame for this game, but Dee, you don't have to love 2K18, play it and even mod it.
You do not owe us anything, no one (at least with a functionnal brain) will blame you if you stay one more year (or more) on 2K17 - like skoadam does on old gen - and release nothing on 2K18 ;)

As always, thanks for your support.

But this doesn't have anything to do with modding. I'm more equipped now than I was even for 2K17 to mod, this has to do with me bringing the defensive issue to the front lines in order to draw attention to it in order for a fix. And, i think this thread has done a decent job of that considering the number of comments and reactions.

And I havn't found a slider fix, I tried what Hova said this morning, and I was still just blowing by my defender with ease. I tried lowering my players speed and acceleration, and I was still getting by my guy with ease.

I will keep trying.

And, the game had been out for 2 weeks, I havn't cancelled my modding plans. Even Kevin Garnett giant melon in the game can't sway me completely :).

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby dare on Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:56 am

Somebody at OS posted this similar issue and they think that it is tied up with some animations clipping.

https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/nba-2k-basketball/917179-disturbing-truth-about-why-driving-basket-so-easy-year.html
dare
True kings have rings

Postby nextnba on Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:30 am

Dee4Three wrote:
Also, you sound like you are trying to educate me on what 2K attempts to appeal to. Give me a break, I stated that it's not good for anybody if you can drive by the CPU almost 100% of the time without doing moves, which I proved in my video. That is not good period, the system needs work, and that's a fact. And that's what this thread is for, to provide that feedback hoping for a fix. Andrew sends the feedback on here to 2K.

Dee, you should not be able to drive to the Hoop almost 100% of the time. I just finished a game where I was the Nuggets playing against the Warriors and I was only able to get to the hoop once in the first quarter. I shot 29% and the Warriors D was amazing. It was very frustrating as the Warriors beat me by 30 points. I couldn't score shit. Durent block almost everything. Green's D was amazing. Curry made almost every 3s. I'm trying to tell you that not everyone is having ur problems. We're not just acting like it's not a problem. We fixed it! Yes, I did change onball defense to 100, I did change driving contact, inside contact, layup defense, shot defense all to 100. In movement, I also decrease speed to 65 and acceleration to 62. If you make these changes, there is no way you can get to the hoop at will. I tried decreasing acceleration to 60 and that made it impossible for me to get pass anyone so I moved it back to 62. If you are still having problems after making the slider adjustments, then yes, ur game is broken because ours is working fine.
nextnba

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:35 am

nextnba wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:

Dee, you should not be able to drive to the Hoop almost 100% of the time. I just finished a game where I was the Nuggets playing against the Warriors and I was only able to get to the hoop once in the first quarter. I shot 29% and the Warriors D was amazing. It was very frustrating as the Warriors beat me by 30 points. I couldn't score shit. Durent block almost everything. Green's D was amazing. Curry made almost every 3s. I'm trying to tell you that not everyone is having ur problems. We're not just acting like it's not a problem. We fixed it! Yes, I did change onball defense to 100, I did change driving contact, inside contact, layup defense, shot defense all to 100. In movement, I also decrease speed to 65 and acceleration to 62. If you make these changes, there is no way you can get to the hoop at will. I tried decreasing acceleration to 60 and that made it impossible for me to get pass anyone so I moved it back to 62. If you are still having problems after making the slider adjustments, then yes, ur game is broken because ours is working fine.

"Ours is working fine".

You realize people in this thread agreed with me. Ours as in yours and some others? Many people think it's far to easy just like me. My video is exactly what happens whether I'm on HOF or do slider tweaks, I didn't make that up.

My game is not broken, if mine is, the others on here who say it's horrible have games that are broken, just like that fella who on OS who talked about the horrible perimeter D.

Don't be bitter, it's okay to admit the game has a problem. We will get through it though. I am right now by modding and playing NBA 2K17 in between testing different things on 2K18.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby diamenz on Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:31 pm

I can iso mj on the mid range wing and drive baseline, one dribble into a dunk all day. it's broken. thae ai doesnt even adjust, they just constantly play me tight lol. but hey, its just a video game and I dont expect much from 2k anymore as far as realism.
diamenz

Postby sticky-fingers on Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:15 pm

Well, I also did a game with edited sliders (not shared, not finished)
Nuggets vs Warriors. I can pass Curry with Murray, but no way to pass K.Thompson or KD (i even get 2 charges).
It's not perfect, but it can be fixed.

animations/acceleration seems also broken. Sometimes, on size up or on a step before the dunk, my player seems to have a boost (even if i fix the new sliders values) .
Last edited by sticky-fingers on Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sticky-fingers

Postby hova- on Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:18 pm

Yes, no need for ignoring the problem. It is existent. The better your player, the easier it is (which is basically a good thing, but just way too easy).

What makes me very sad is that the rest of the defense is definitely improved. The shotblocking is the best of any 2k I have ever played. The animations that are triggered usually fit exactly, there are more fouls called with bad shot blockers and with good timing and a big body you can even block tear drops.

The defensive off ball errors have been reduced. Sometimes they still happen, but I can live with that as it is not as easy to simply pass the ball directly under the hoop without turning it over.

Also the foul calling is better. Reaching in close to the basket often results into a shooting foul now as it is finally recognized when you pushed the shooting button. Rebounding is way better, I have seen many lose-balls without control after rebound battles which is really good. Had to tone down rebounding sliders a bit though since big men were too mighty on the board.

Let's hope they fix the On ball D :bowdown2:
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby TGsoGood on Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:21 pm

Im just hoping they will fix this. Chances are good because 2K does not want to get embarassed in the debut of e-league.

I may just go back to 2k14 on pc. Last year I mostly played 2K16 after finishing a season with Dee4three's fantasy draft roster in 2k17.

May just use this game for cpu vs cpu gameplay and modding purposes only.
Follow me on PATREON https://www.patreon.com/TGsoGood
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ

NBA 2K21 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=267&t=110608
NBA 2K17 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=225&t=102251#p1860681
NBA 2K14 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=96056
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sticky-fingers on Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:02 pm

I guess this problem is only "human vs CPU", so 2K dont have to fix it for e-league :roll:
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:40 pm

sticky-fingers wrote:I guess this problem is only "human vs CPU", so 2K dont have to fix it for e-league :roll:

That's a disappointing prospect indeed. I hope not, but I could certainly see it being the priority.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:58 am

TGsoGood wrote:Im just hoping they will fix this. Chances are good because 2K does not want to get embarassed in the debut of e-league.

I may just go back to 2k14 on pc. Last year I mostly played 2K16 after finishing a season with Dee4three's fantasy draft roster in 2k17.

May just use this game for cpu vs cpu gameplay and modding purposes only.

Ill be updating that roster at some point. I'll be adding Nate Thurmond and some other legends that deserve to be in it.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby m29a on Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:27 pm

Completely agree with you. I try to say that it's easy to drive to the hoop in the real NBA, because if you block as a defender, it's a foul. You can't do it. What my concern is that with the complaining, 2K will adjust and ruin it with more brick-walling which is the most unrealistic thing. You literally can't do that in today's basketball. The game isn't that broken as some of you folks imply it is. Yes it has issues, no doubt, but it's still a well playing 2K game overall.

2K is finally making a HUGE step towards realism with the increased hip-riding animation (like the real-nba) and it completely opens up the drive n kick game like it hasn't been before.

I'm also certain on operationsports mike wang and czar straight up said no major gameplay patch is planned, only bug patches. I understand this is a problem in online modes (or mycareer) where you can't change sliders, but if you're playing against CPU offline, there are sliders at your disposal, they added new movement sliders at the bottom. So many sliders, surely you can get it to your liking in regards to driving to the basket and whatnot?

They could provide an option or a slider that lowers or increases hip-riding animations. If you want constant brickwall, turn it on, if not (like myself) we can have it mostly off. I think that'd be fair for both camps going forward imo.

I'm not trying to suppress criticism, but I think it sometimes goes the extra mile... having the post claim it's broken and w/ video evidence just screams overreaction to me. Yes it has problems, but again, literally game-breaking...?
m29a

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:20 am

m29a wrote:

Completely agree with you. I try to say that it's easy to drive to the hoop in the real NBA, because if you block as a defender, it's a foul. You can't do it. What my concern is that with the complaining, 2K will adjust and ruin it with more brick-walling which is the most unrealistic thing. You literally can't do that in today's basketball. The game isn't that broken as some of you folks imply it is. Yes it has issues, no doubt, but it's still a well playing 2K game overall.

2K is finally making a HUGE step towards realism with the increased hip-riding animation (like the real-nba) and it completely opens up the drive n kick game like it hasn't been before.

I'm also certain on operationsports mike wang and czar straight up said no major gameplay patch is planned, only bug patches. I understand this is a problem in online modes (or mycareer) where you can't change sliders, but if you're playing against CPU offline, there are sliders at your disposal, they added new movement sliders at the bottom. So many sliders, surely you can get it to your liking in regards to driving to the basket and whatnot?

They could provide an option or a slider that lowers or increases hip-riding animations. If you want constant brickwall, turn it on, if not (like myself) we can have it mostly off. I think that'd be fair for both camps going forward imo.

I'm not trying to suppress criticism, but I think it sometimes goes the extra mile... having the post claim it's broken and w/ video evidence just screams overreaction to me. Yes it has problems, but again, literally game-breaking...?

It's game breaking for me. If I can just run in a straight line without doing moves to get to the hoop, that is game breaking.

It takes the fun out of beating your man off the dribble, especially when you don't have to do any dribbling moves at all. And, the help defense as shown on my video is almost non existent.

I don't have to work for anything, and for me that is game breaking.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby hova- on Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:11 am

To each their own - I also have had games where I felt the driving was way too easy, it seems to really depend on which players are on the court ...

But yesterday I actually had my first full game ever (12 mins/q) playing with the '13 Heat vs the '12 Thunder and I really had a hard time driving to the hoop against KD, Russ, Sefolosha.
With LeBron it was possible, but not too easy.

All in all the game was quite realistic except the fact that Wade, Bosh and Durant all went down with injuries (is it a bug?). I had a triple double with LeBron (almost quadrouple double with TOs though :D ) but was lacking scoring power without Wade and Bosh (and with Allen shooting poorly because of good D when coming around screens) and lost by 10.

So in a way the 'broken D' did not affect me - still I see your problem. I am also hoping for a fix.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:25 am

hova- wrote:To each their own - I also have had games where I felt the driving was way too easy, it seems to really depend on which players are on the court ...

But yesterday I actually had my first full game ever (12 mins/q) playing with the '13 Heat vs the '12 Thunder and I really had a hard time driving to the hoop against KD, Russ, Sefolosha.
With LeBron it was possible, but not too easy.

All in all the game was quite realistic except the fact that Wade, Bosh and Durant all went down with injuries (is it a bug?). I had a triple double with LeBron (almost quadrouple double with TOs though :D ) but was lacking scoring power without Wade and Bosh (and with Allen shooting poorly because of good D when coming around screens) and lost by 10.

So in a way the 'broken D' did not affect me - still I see your problem. I am also hoping for a fix.

Thank you for seeing my point, I see yours as well.

Maybe a tweak can be made while keeping the rest of the gameplay solid like it is.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:44 am

hova- wrote:To each their own - I also have had games where I felt the driving was way too easy, it seems to really depend on which players are on the court ...

Well, i achieve to deny easy drive mostly when my player is slower than the defender... BUT sometimes, it seems to break and like Dee wrote, sliders dont seem to change anything.
Then, i restart a game or reload sliders after select HoF and the defense is back.
Same way for acceleration. My User Sliders are very slow. But i cant explain why sometimes, when my player dribbles or go to dunk, i've got an extra speed.
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:50 am

sticky-fingers wrote:

Well, i achieve to deny easy drive mostly when my player is slower than the defender... BUT sometimes, it seems to break and like Dee wrote, sliders dont seem to change anything.
Then, i restart a game or reload sliders after select HoF and the defense is back.
Same way for acceleration. My User Sliders are very slow. But i cant explain why sometimes, when my player dribbles or go to dunk, i've got an extra speed.

You know whats odd, if I run the NBA 2K17.exe as administrator, the game feels more responsive. This has nothing to do with the defense in 2K18, kind of random. But, I am going to try that with 2K18 anyway to see if anything changes.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby diamenz on Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:36 pm

Dee4Three wrote:
sticky-fingers wrote:

You know whats odd, if I run the NBA 2K17.exe as administrator, the game feels more responsive. This has nothing to do with the defense in 2K18, kind of random. But, I am going to try that with 2K18 anyway to see if anything changes.

okay. now ur just trippin, dee. 2k is getting in ur head.
diamenz

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:39 pm

diamenz wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:
sticky-fingers wrote:

okay. now ur just trippin, dee. 2k is getting in ur head.

I won't lie. You are probably right, ha.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby skoadam on Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:37 am

I think first step is to resign from HoF lvl. It was always bad for almost all 2k games.
Image Image Image

URB WHERE SIM HAPPENS [41 Complete Seasons Mods + Bonus Rosters]

2022/2023 2021/2022 2020/2021 2019/2020 2018/2019 2017/2018 2016/2017 2015/2016 2014/2015 2013/2014 2012/2013
2011/2012 2010/2011 2009/2010 2008/2009 2007/2008 2006/2007 2005/2006 2004/2005 2003/2004 2002/2003
2001/2002 2000/2001 1999/2000 1998/1999 1997/1998 1996/1997 1995/1996 1994/1995 1993/1994 1992/1993
1991/1992 1990/1991 1989/1990 1988/1989 1987/1988 1986/1987 1985/1986 1984/1985 1969/1970 1961/1962
skoadam
U R Basketball - Where Sim Happens
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K18