Official NBA 2K18 Impressions Topic

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

Official NBA 2K18 Impressions Topic

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:33 am

Reiterating what I said in the NBA Live 18 section once again, we do have a whole section to talk about NBA 2K18, so there's no need to keep all the conversation in this topic. However, it seems to help to have a central topic for quick impressions and random discussion based on them, so if you're looking for that topic, this is it!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Official NBA 2K18 Impressions Topic

Postby The X on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:11 am

Check my Twitter @AndrewTheX for a few early impressions.

Unfortunately I have to go to work so can't play again for 12 hours. Keen to hear everybody's opinion as to whether gameplay is as smooth in 5v5 as 2KU.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Sportsdude360 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:57 am

I will be playing tonight at 11:00 pm when the game becomes available on my PS4. I'll post my impressions after I've played a few games.
Sportsdude360

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:03 am

Well, first impressions on the gameplay after few quick games (i dont give a shit about MyCarreer/Park) : a slightly better 2K17
BUT
GPU optimization is even more awful than last year :turrible:
sticky-fingers

Postby hedop on Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:21 am

Feels incredibly sluggish, you can barely get past anyone, the CPU clogs the lanes and the paint even on All-Star like hell even when you bombard them with 3s. Defensively it's pretty hard in my eyes. It's very tough to stick with anyone, even slow players can blow by you and you don't seem to "stick" anymore.
hedop

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:15 am

Anybody else feel like the passing is delayed?
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:20 am

after tweaking my VideoSettings.cfg, nope :wink:
sticky-fingers

Postby Hadley88 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:38 am

Performance is definitely a littel better than last Year but I still can't get the rocksolid 144FPS during Gameplay. Its mostly 90-130 which is better but not perfect.
Hadley88

Postby bomba90 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:51 am

I play on PS4Pro, Superstar level.

PRO:
IMO much better gameplay than last year: open shots are easier and contested lay ups and contested shots from the paint are much harder.
I like the way it looks better than last year.

CONS:
I don't like the shot meter, both it's place and the fact that at times you don't know if you release too early or too late.
The game is very sluggish, very poor hardware optimization, every aspect of the game seems a little bit delayed.
bomba90

Postby parginos on Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:06 am

sticky-fingers wrote:after tweaking my VideoSettings.cfg, nope :wink:

Can you share your tweaks?
Thank you
parginos

Postby buzzy on Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:08 am

I like this game. Biggest thing for me from 2k17 were AI lapses on the defensive end, as well as off-ball movement on offense. Both of these things have been improved vastly, even though you still get some over-rotating here and there. But I'm not even complaining.

The game feels smooth. Nice animations around the basket, nice dribbling animations. Although chaining dribbling moves together and gaining a step on my opponent seems almost impossible. Every time I do what I believe to be a nice crossover, the instant I should blow by my defender my player gets stuck and the defender recovers. It's the transition between crossovers and a burst towards the hoop that needs work.

Shooting is difficult. The meter is fast and small. The penalty for the shot button seems even bigger. I'll try to turn off the shot meter and just go by the jumpshot animation instead of relying on my eyes to find a tiny bar. We'll see.
Layups are also missed aplenty. I think I've read in somewhere that layups are still timing based, which definitely is a weird decision if the player gets zero feedback or indication on when to release a layup.

Sweat seems to only really appear in the 4th quarter.

The one full game I've played (12 minute Q's), the CPU has not taken a timeout in the first 3 quarters. Needs more testing if that's a real issue.

As much as I appreciate Kobe and KG making an appearance in the game, with them in the booth it takes away from the atmosphere/immersion.
It sounds like a sit down interview between Harlan and Kobe for 90% of the game. The other two commentators have maybe gotten one sentence in during the game I played.
Could get annoying.

Thank fuck the assistant coach is gone!
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby bomba90 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:28 am

buzzy wrote:Layups are also missed aplenty. I think I've read in somewhere that layups are still timing based, which definitely is a weird decision if the player gets zero feedback or indication on when to release a layup.

I only saw the meter once, I went for a lay up with Chris Paul, the rest of the time, it does not show, and yes, by the it behaves, it must be timing based.
bomba90

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:33 am

parginos wrote:
sticky-fingers wrote:after tweaking my VideoSettings.cfg, nope :wink:

Can you share your tweaks?
Thank you

Ok, so i opened a thread ;)
sticky-fingers

Postby hedop on Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:26 am

VC is worse than ever. Seriously like 5 hairstyles and no facial hair and 4 hair colours? That's what you get without spending VC? They also removed sculpting for creating your own player? This is ridiculous.
hedop

Postby Lamrock on Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:40 am

Well, it's certainly 2K. Here's my rambling first impressions.

I love the honeymoon period with sports video games. Unless the game's a total dud, it's always fun to enjoy the newness of everything. I'm not sick of the soundtrack (which is pretty good) yet, enjoying the new menus/presentation, still discovering small improvements, and can dismiss frustrating moments as me being new to the game.

Gameplay is fine. Seems a little sluggish at times, but it's fun. Don't really like the new shot meter, but changing it to black made it a lot more visible. Graphics are better, or at least they're noticeably more vibrant. Menus are a lot more aesthetically pleasing than the drab grey ones in 2K17.

LOL at Schroder and Dedmon being Atlanta's two best rated players. Gonna be weird when they somehow sneak into the playoffs again.

Waiting on draft classes/patches/sliders to do a proper myLeague, so I've spent a lot of time in myGM. I like the approach they went with, adding a storyline and having there be more conflicts to resolve. It certainly won't win any myLeague players over, but at least there's a reason to play it now. Solid veterans can still be signed for next to nothing, which is a drag, and you STILL can't trade injured players, but oh well.

myCareer is an anarcho-capitalist nightmare in which having to spend VC on haircuts is somehow a feature they advertised. The whole neighborhood idea seemed cool, but in practice just putting on a T-Shirt is now a five minute ordeal. Product placement is absolutely nuts - ads have been all over the game for years, but holy shit. With the "Road to 99", they are at least transparent about the mode being a grind-fest. Don't miss Justice at all, but I'll be pissed if Shammy Wells suddenly becomes a 97 overall.

As cynical as the developers are, the mode is addictive in spite of its faults. Leveling up is certainly satisfying and evokes feelings similar to real-life success. When the singularity comes, we'll all be thankful for the road to 99. Everybody shits on the story, but I don't hate it. Really glad they gave me the option to change my character's name so I could change it to D.J. Obviously a customizable myLeague-style career mode with no story or VC would be great, but until the NBA Live stops being the Bruno Caboclo of game franchises, they'll never do it.

myTeam is just MUT for 2K. Yawn.

So yeah I'd give it like an 8 out of 10 so far.
Lamrock

Postby Jackal on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:15 am

I've read a few of you guys mention what I completely agree with so far. It feels sluggish.

Also despite having him on their Legend edition covers, they still didn't get Shaq right imo.

Shaq was a behemoth. This dude looks like a milk-dud next to some generic Kendrick Perkins looking player called Mutombo.

Also, since I didn't know where to ask this...how the heck do I assign a created player to a teams roster? :?
Jackal

Postby timmyd on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:24 am

Damn, Shaq look's terrible. I was hoping to wreck havoc with him in the paint. That body doesn't seem like it can move people around or bully other big men. Wasn't that one of the selling points in the gameplay this year? Size and strength is actually felt this year? Well, maybe it's the ratings that do the trick not the actual body haha...

Big shout out to Big Perk "make em hurt"
Willing to help complete rosters for season/my league use.

#GoSpursGo
timmyd

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:33 am

Is Perkins face in the game?
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:47 am

timmyd wrote:That body doesn't seem like it can move people around or bully other big men.

That's the weird thing though, he does "play as Shaq". At least he did against the Sixers, I was able to drop 30 points, 20 boards & 3 assists with him while Iverson just went nuts on the other side. Kobe chipped in with 22 points on like 40% shooting. Shaq just looks weird. Matt Geiger looks like he could Stone Cold Steve Austin him easily.

Also, Lamrock thanks for the suggestion. Changing the shot-meter to black helps immensely. I wish they'd give an option of the old shot-meter and the new version. I'm using broadcast camera angle and found the "regular" shot-meter to be just fine. I barely see this little thing.

Dee4Three wrote:Is Perkins face in the game?

Probably not. Was the same thing that happened with Nash from what I read. One year after retiring they are in that same retired players group so the likeness can be used. After that they have to make deals with the players themselves or something.
Jackal

Postby Hadley88 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:58 am

So I played a little bit of MyPlayer and I can't say I like it.

- This whole Open World Bullshit is pretty stupid. My Appartment is 2m away from my Agent and 5m away from the Trainingarea?
- The Microtransactions are as bad as last Year if not even worse. Its really no fun without spending VC. When I look at YouTube and see guys spending 200k VC to get 85 before their first NBA Game... seriously? I'll pass.
- I played like 5 NBA Games or so and there is very little Story. And who the fuck is that weird Asian Dude?
- Character-Customization is very dumbed down. No Idea why. You are basically locked into your Preset.
- My fucking 7'3/320pound Center looks extremly small and skinny in Cutscenes.
- The Bodymeshes this Year look really weird on some Players.

I doubt I will play much more of that. So lets hope MyLeague has a better Trade-AI.
Hadley88

Postby StyxTx on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:08 am

Over on Steam, 2/3 of the reviews are quite scathing. Sounds to me like most of the stuff I couldn't stand are still there.
StyxTx

Postby Sportsdude360 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:34 pm

I've created a custom MYLeague with the All-Time teams! Been having a blast! The All-Time teams are the greatest addition that 2K has ever come up with! I've been playing a lot with the All-Time Houston Rockets. Having Hakeem Olajuwan, Ralph Sampson and Yao Ming all on the floor at the same time is jaw-dropping! And having Larry Bird and Kevin McHale join forces with Bob Cousey and Bill Russell with Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen thrown in for extra measure! The fun never stops!
Sportsdude360

Postby m29a on Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:42 pm

StyxTx wrote:Over on Steam, 2/3 of the reviews are quite scathing. Sounds to me like most of the stuff I couldn't stand are still there.

Steam (also some PC gamers in general) can be super critical, even when it's unwarranted. NBA 2K on PC has always been review bombed for lame reasons like "story mode sucked, thumbs down" "ai makes every basket, this sucks" etc, you get the idea. There is the rare in-depth review that does outline the flaws, but it's mostly just a bunch of bs to go through. I don't think it's fair to the developers.

If they ever stop making 2K for the PC in the future, I'd blame ungrateful people like them who expect perfection (and of course lack of sales which could play a factor). I just don't want to have to buy a console to play 2K.

We all know the online isn't the best for PC, yes, but as an offline experience against the AI, it truly is amazing. No the game isn't perfect, but each year does make some decent strides in gameplay.
m29a

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:57 pm

Jackal wrote:Probably not. Was the same thing that happened with Nash from what I read. One year after retiring they are in that same retired players group so the likeness can be used. After that they have to make deals with the players themselves or something.

Byron Russell is back with the Jazz
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:49 pm

m29a wrote:
StyxTx wrote:Over on Steam, 2/3 of the reviews are quite scathing. Sounds to me like most of the stuff I couldn't stand are still there.

Steam (also some PC gamers in general) can be super critical, even when it's unwarranted. NBA 2K on PC has always been review bombed for lame reasons like "story mode sucked, thumbs down" "ai makes every basket, this sucks" etc, you get the idea. There is the rare in-depth review that does outline the flaws, but it's mostly just a bunch of bs to go through. I don't think it's fair to the developers.

If they ever stop making 2K for the PC in the future, I'd blame ungrateful people like them who expect perfection (and of course lack of sales which could play a factor). I just don't want to have to buy a console to play 2K.

We all know the online isn't the best for PC, yes, but as an offline experience against the AI, it truly is amazing. No the game isn't perfect, but each year does make some decent strides in gameplay.

PC-specific issues don't help matters, but yeah, there are some very glib reviews that downvote the game due to a lone complaint.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Next

Return to NBA 2K18