Official NBA 2K18 Impressions Topic

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

Re: Official NBA 2K18 Impressions Topic

Postby Jeffx on Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:16 am

Andrew wrote:I'm not surprised. I'm surprised they're still developing that version.

I'm glad they did, unlike EA with Madden.
Jeffx

Postby Sauru on Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:18 am

my impressions. i played the game a little over 2 hours and then requested a refund from steam. game is ok and in todays gaming world ok is not worth 60 bucks. my player going from the tallest guy on the court to a guard during cut scenes annoyed me beyond belief. maybe i would have enjoyed it more if i gave it more time but whatever, maybe next year
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:02 am

Jeffx wrote:
Andrew wrote:I'm not surprised. I'm surprised they're still developing that version.

I suppose it's good in some respects that they're still catering to those platforms, but it seems like a half-hearted effort at best. It should be significantly cheaper.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby CarolusXCI on Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:54 am

I'm enjoying this year's game. Which doesn't mean it looks realistic to me.

- The reason why I've been playing NBA Live 2005 for so long is because I feel I can control every step of the player where my cursor is at, regardless of skill set, size, weight, speed, whatever. "I will get the ball, cross the defender over, drive to the basket; if he's still in front of me at the free-throw line, then I will post him up, drop step, hook shot". I could repeat this every time I wanted. I would miss a lot of times, score sometimes, but eventually I could do all the moves I wanted, anytime, anywhere. It isn't realistic, but I don't care. Players didn't even had signature shots or moves, but it was fun nevertheless. In the recent games, I feel like everytime I had pulled the moves I wanted, it felt like a fluke, something that I got from pure luck. There were simply way too much animations in my opinion. This year's game feels different, I feel like players are under my control way more, and this is the most important feature to me.

- Body types are still bad as pointed out by many guys here, but to myself personally, if that horrid skinny body type from last year is gone, I'm good. I was expecting a bit more though (i.e. smaller heads).

- I love how easy it is to edit a bunch of ratings at once. I remember when I played 2k11-2k14 I used to go to the RED MC and reduce every player's age by 3 years, so that my favorite seasoned veterans wouldn't retire so quickly. This year I can do the same, but in game, and it takes literally 2 seconds. So this is a plus for me.

- Graphics, meh.. I don't really care that much about that so I won't talk about it. Arenas look kinda dark, which isn't realistic in most cases, but I like this way.

- Retro teams suck. As Dee4Three pointed out (I guess it was him), they look half-assed. I can't imagine how difficult it is to remove Kenyon Martin's arm sleeves from his 2002 version, or to give 2007 Nenê some cornrows instead of his current dread ponytail.

- naughty by nature - hip hop hooray. Thanks 2K.

Overall, if I was looking for some realistic basketball experience, I'd be kinda pissed. But since I'm not, this is my favorite NBA 2K game of this generation.
CarolusXCI

Postby timmyd on Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:13 am

CarolusXCI wrote:I'm enjoying this year's game. Which doesn't mean it looks realistic to me.

In the recent games, I feel like everytime I had pulled the moves I wanted, it felt like a fluke, something that I got from pure luck. There were simply way too much animations in my opinion. This year's game feels different, I feel like players are under my control way more, and this is the most important feature to me.

- Graphics, meh.. I don't really care that much about that so I won't talk about it. Arenas look kinda dark, which isn't realistic in most cases, but I like this way.

- Retro teams suck. As Dee4Three pointed out (I guess it was him), they look half-assed. I can't imagine how difficult it is to remove Kenyon Martin's arm sleeves from his 2002 version, or to give 2007 Nenê some cornrows instead of his current dread ponytail.

I agree so so much with this. I'm finally able to play more realistic, with guy's like DeRozan. A change of speed, hesi, layup, drawfoul.
Willing to help complete rosters for season/my league use.

#GoSpursGo
timmyd

Postby timmyd on Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:13 am

CarolusXCI wrote:I'm enjoying this year's game. Which doesn't mean it looks realistic to me.

In the recent games, I feel like everytime I had pulled the moves I wanted, it felt like a fluke, something that I got from pure luck. There were simply way too much animations in my opinion. This year's game feels different, I feel like players are under my control way more, and this is the most important feature to me.

I agree so so much with this. I'm finally able to play more realistic, with guy's like DeRozan. A change of speed, hesi, layup, drawfoul. GAME LOOKS TERRIBLE though.
Willing to help complete rosters for season/my league use.

#GoSpursGo
timmyd

Postby devomatic on Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:38 am

To me, the game has been frustrating so far. I feel like this happens every time a new 2k game comes out. The feel is different, you have to adjust your pace, the shot timing is different, the dribble moves feel different. Making the adjustment always takes months for me to get accustomed to it. My issue with it right now is that the CPU doesn't seem to have any trouble setting effective screens, while I set a screen and they slide right on by like no one's there. I have the CPU on superstar dropping shot after shot in my face, cheesing with body steals, getting offensive rebounds that they aren't in position for, etc... These are the EXACT same problems I had at 2k17's release and I'm reliving the nightmare. It took 4 or 5 months for 2k to fix that bullshit in 2k17, and I wouldn't expect anything different this year. I just think that if you're going to release a game every year, you should be pretty damn good at putting out a solid and reliable game that feels fair. It just sucks the fun out of it to have the CPU win by having what is essentially more luck. I was playing and winning 98% of my games on hall of fame in 2k17, and now I'm winning less than 50% of my games on superstar in 2k18 because of idiotic teammates and bullshit steals and baskets. I'm getting ready to just give up basketball games and play something else.
devomatic

Postby Jeffx on Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:24 pm

Andrew wrote:
Jeffx wrote:

I suppose it's good in some respects that they're still catering to those platforms, but it seems like a half-hearted effort at best. It should be significantly cheaper.

Like NBA Live, the 2k series isn't what it used to be. For me, 2k11 was the high point, and I played it for nearly 5 years (until I couldn't update the rosters anymore).
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:34 pm

I had a lot of fun with NBA 2K17, but I do have some quibbles with NBA 2K18 so far, mostly in regards to MyCAREER (and after last night, 2K Pro-Am). The 5v5 gameplay does generally feel good, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:56 pm

From a gameplay standpoint, I think 2K11 is probably the strongest. However, I haven't played it in five years, so I'm not sure how it would hold up today. I think that 2K17 is my favorite game in the series to date, as I like the 5v5 gameplay, as well as the added features to franchise mode and current-gen graphics.

2K18 is fun though. I'm a bit surprised that just now everybody is jumping on the "fuck microtransactions" bandwagon, when the last couple games have been almost as bad in that regard. Glad this conversation is happening though. I actually like myCareer in this one more than last year because I hated the Justice Young aspect. Casually playing a myGM, but waiting to start a proper myLeague until they patch some of the bugs and a draft class comes out.

I like the 5v5 gameplay. It's not as easy to score at will and builds on a solid foundation. However, there is occasional slowdown and a slider set is a must.
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:04 pm

Lamrock wrote:I'm a bit surprised that just now everybody is jumping on the "fuck microtransactions" bandwagon, when the last couple games have been almost as bad in that regard. Glad this conversation is happening though.

I think it's reached the tipping point, or perhaps the boiling point...whichever metaphor works best for everyone. There's been grumbling in the past and concerns about how far it'll be pushed, and in NBA 2K18, it seems that our worst fears are being realised in that regard. It's the most aggressive implementation of VC, yet the rewards have been nerfed. The frustration has been building over the past couple of years, and 2K has really pushed their luck and the boundaries of goodwill with the way they've gone about it this year. It's a case of people finally having had enough; it's not that they didn't care or complain before.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby hedop on Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:14 pm

They changed nothing basically. How on earth is Brad Stevens in his fifth year with the Celtics and still has the short timer badge? How did he get that period? He spent twelve years at Butler and is in his 5th year with the Celtics. That's 17 years and basically two work places. They don't bother fixing that. How does Luke Walton have the rejuvinator badge? When has he rejuvinated a player over 30? He should have the tactician badge for his work with the Warriors when Steve Kerr was out and for his idea of letting Iggy guard Lebron in the finals 2015.

This game is so lazy in execution it stinks. And why do I have to spend 12 minutes or more listening to KG and Kobe mumble about their great careers while my players do alleyoops and crazy dunks and nobody mentions it? I wish Live would come out for the PC.
hedop

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:35 pm

I got the Kobe commentary during a MyCAREER game the other day. At first it was kinda cool, but then I realised it was just going to be a conversation with him for most of the first half, with very little tying it into what was actually happening during gameplay. That made it rather less cool.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:46 am

hedop wrote:They changed nothing basically. How on earth is Brad Stevens in his fifth year with the Celtics and still has the short timer badge? How did he get that period? He spent twelve years at Butler and is in his 5th year with the Celtics. That's 17 years and basically two work places. They don't bother fixing that. How does Luke Walton have the rejuvinator badge? When has he rejuvinated a player over 30? He should have the tactician badge for his work with the Warriors when Steve Kerr was out and for his idea of letting Iggy guard Lebron in the finals 2015.

This game is so lazy in execution it stinks. And why do I have to spend 12 minutes or more listening to KG and Kobe mumble about their great careers while my players do alleyoops and crazy dunks and nobody mentions it? I wish Live would come out for the PC.

On the PS3 version, the announcers keep calling players the wrong name......inexcusable.

Years ago (during the black & blue days at NLSC), there was no bigger fan of NBA Live than me. Eventually I switched to 2k because I felt the Live series wasn't up to snuff. Maybe it's time to go back.
Jeffx

Postby hedop on Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:16 am

Jeffx wrote:
hedop wrote:They changed nothing basically. How on earth is Brad Stevens in his fifth year with the Celtics and still has the short timer badge? How did he get that period? He spent twelve years at Butler and is in his 5th year with the Celtics. That's 17 years and basically two work places. They don't bother fixing that. How does Luke Walton have the rejuvinator badge? When has he rejuvinated a player over 30? He should have the tactician badge for his work with the Warriors when Steve Kerr was out and for his idea of letting Iggy guard Lebron in the finals 2015.

On the PS3 version, the announcers keep calling players the wrong name......inexcusable.

Years ago (during the black & blue days at NLSC), there was no bigger fan of NBA Live than me. Eventually I switched to 2k because I felt the Live series wasn't up to snuff. Maybe it's time to go back.

Unfortunately not an option for me. I'm a PC Gamer. I couldn't go to console either. I hate the PS controller with a vengeance. It annoys me, the whole design is shitty, yet the PS has the exclusive titles I want (The Last of Us, Madden, MLB the Show etc.) I also think paying for the network in consoles is a sham and the downloading speed is often attrocious plus there is no modding and cheat engine. XBOX has the controller I want but nearly none of the exclusive titles. So I'm stuck with 2k.
hedop

Postby devomatic on Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:13 am

I hate the PS controller with a vengeance. It annoys me, the whole design is shitty

What's wrong with it? Controllers these days are damn near the same IMHO. The only real difference between the PS and XB controllers anymore is the position of the left stick. I personally find both of them equally comfortable and easy to use. Not that this is a big issue or anything lol, everyone has their preference. I'm just curious.
devomatic

Postby volsey on Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:54 am

So they seriously took away the option to start as an expansion team for MyGM in favor of a very very poor man's "GM storyline"? MyGM is legitimately worse than last year.
volsey

Postby BronBron06 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:11 pm

Take Charge:
I like using take charge and frustrate my cousin and friends when they are trying to make a comeback.
This game is superslow in setting up the position and I never draw a single charging foul against my opponent afer 30 games.

Ball physics
I keep hitting the ball the leg of my opponent, its good realism, I need to play smarter, but I wish body contact is also like that, when my players feet extended during a dunk, I want to see opposing players to get pushed backwards upon contact or when player is celebrating throwing fist in the air, it would be fun to see accidentally hit a ref or player and gets called for a tech
BronBron06

Postby benji on Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:30 pm

Sauru wrote:my impressions. i played the game a little over 2 hours and then requested a refund from steam. game is ok and in todays gaming world ok is not worth 60 bucks. my player going from the tallest guy on the court to a guard during cut scenes annoyed me beyond belief. maybe i would have enjoyed it more if i gave it more time but whatever, maybe next year

this is the best part though

i spend half my time trying to figure out how it could get in the game, someone had to notice, they never had this problem with cutscenes in the past even when they were sticking ur dude in a school desk or having a vet mumble to you in the hallway

i'm designing an elaborate explanation about it showing your ego, when in the locker room you're the new guy and initially being ignored by people so you shrink, but on the court you stand tall LITERALLY rising to the occasion!

actually it's best in the practices because the camera cuts are immediate and the dude next to you will go from your shoulder to towering over you when the camera cuts back out

it's sad because i think last year had a lot of the right steps in direction for both MyGM and MyCAREER for the first time seriously in five years or more even if it still had the Pres stuff it wasn't as forced as Freq the year before and easy enough to just swallow, especially after they let you skip the cutscenes and i liked that the college play seemed to matter even if the comments, your stock position, your stats and your eventual selection often contradicted each other all over the place half the time (dude averaging 18/11 with 6 blocks, projected top 5 pick...scout: "he just hasn't shown anything special, i don't know if he has what it takes" ) plus all the story and forced stuff that came after was way easier ignored than in years past and this year (unless you were playing as a PG, and landed on a team that already had three point guards, and Justice and Denver came along till the team had nothing else on the roster lololol)

i still wish they had all these multiple starts you could choose from and paths, i don't want to go back to 2K10 to be a summer league guy who plays his way into a legitimate set of tryouts with cuts after each to make the team and then play up from the D-League legitimately...i want that was an optional path now, i don't care about any story, the story with text messages/headlines/billboards was more than enough and 2K14 showed how easily they could just throw that stuff in there without a story framework

and i don't want to go back especially because all the prior games have the bug that auto promotes you no matter how you play

2K16-18 at least have not rewarded you with minutes instantly, in the old version you were starting by like the sixth game no matter what and soon were playing 40+ minutes (or equivalent) no matter what...in 2K17 even when i got a player to 88 overall (thanks to amazon giving like 150,000 free VC or whatever it was) a few games into the season and he was destroying everything per minute, he was still never above sixth man for quite a while though i often would finish a lot of games and played starter minutes almost and often that was because i was playing so well, if i had a bad game my minutes weren't as easy to maintain

I even liked the meaningless HS games in 2K16 if only because you could be this seven foot dude running all over handling the ball and dunking at will or shooting threes because you went in with VC and jacked him up (he was way more powerful anyway but doing this made it even more stupid) and swatting anybody who tried to drive on you and grabbing nearly 15+ rebounds at times even though it was two minute quarters...and i'm not saying this just because the one team had Leftos on it to dunk on over and over and over and over...not that i would (and i certainly wouldn't fire him from the Pistons Assistant GM position immediately)

and then this year we don't even get to the draft or any of that shit, it's just pick the team you want...even in 2K15's misfire you had to sign with a team that showed interest based on your position and such

and moving stuff like the gym out into the open world online where you have to wait for actual people to finish? stupid

i'm sure this has been said and more in this thread but i came in here for the first time to see what was in the patch and saw sauru's post on a bug that jao can attest i've been bugging him about lol
benji

Postby ThePointForward on Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:46 am

I just noticed that Marvin Williams was like stretching his shoulder often during the game against him and then found out he is playing with bruised shoulder. Nice touch of detail.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby benji on Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:46 am

Somebody mentioned one of the songs being censored.

My favorite censored song in a 2K of all time is now Panic at the Disco - "Don't Threaten Me With A Good Time"

Seriously, go in and listen to this thing. Why even put it on the soundtrack like this?

I also love that it's one of the most common songs played in the arenas during play stoppage.

My unofficial shot at how the first minute of the song is censored:
[Hook]
Alright, alright
Alright, alright
Alright, alright, it's a [CENSORED] of a feeling though
It's a [CENSORED] of a feeling though
Alright, alright, it's a [CENSORED] of a feeling though
It's a [CENSORED] of a feeling though

[Verse 1]
Who are these people?
I just woke up in my [CENSORED]
No [CENSORED] left on the shelf
I should probably introduce myself
You shoulda' seen what I wore
I had a cane and a party hat
I was the king of this hologram
Where there's no such thing as getting out of hand
Memories tend to just pop up
[CENSORED] pre-meds and some rubber gloves
Five-thousand people with designer [CENSORED]
Don't think I'll ever get enough

[Chorus]
Champagne, [CENSORED], gasoline
And most things in between
I roam the city in a shopping cart
A pack of [CENSORED] and a smoke alarm
This night is heating up
Raise [CENSORED] and turn it up
Saying "If you go on, you might [CENSORED] in a drain pipe"
Oh, yeah
Don't threaten me with a good time

Should have just picked "Victorious" if they really wanted a Panic song, the bridge is way more fitting to the theme of a sports game.
Tonight we are victorious
Champagne pouring over us
All my friends were glorious
Tonight we are victorious
Oh-oh-oh-oh, victorious
Oh-oh-oh-oh
benji

Postby ThePointForward on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:57 am

If that is your favorite you'll love this song:

phpBB [video]

And if that sounds familiar, yes, the singer is the guy who dubbed Lamar in GTA V.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Jeffx on Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:14 am

Knicks are a lot harder to use without Carmelo - Porzingis has become to go-to guy, especially late in games. His post play has improved.

Starters - Ntilikina, Hardaway Jr., Beasley, Porzingis, Kanter

Bench - Jack, Lee, Thomas, McDermott, O'Quinn, Hernangomez, Baker

Reserves - Sessions, Kuzminskas, Noah

Knicks plan on starting Lee with Hardaway Jr., but I prefer him as a sixth man. Lee, Thomas, & McDermott give me lots of outside shooting from the bench. Noah is completely useless - can't finish around the hoop and can't make a free throw. I never use him.
Jeffx

Postby Uncle Drew on Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:04 am

Jeffx wrote:Knicks are a lot harder to use without Carmelo - Porzingis has become to go-to guy, especially late in games. His post play has improved.

Starters - Ntilikina, Hardaway Jr., Beasley, Porzingis, Kanter

Bench - Jack, Lee, Thomas, McDermott, O'Quinn, Hernangomez, Baker

Reserves - Sessions, Kuzminskas, Noah

Knicks plan on starting Lee with Hardaway Jr., but I prefer him as a sixth man. Lee, Thomas, & McDermott give me lots of outside shooting from the bench. Noah is completely useless - can't finish around the hoop and can't make a free throw. I never use him.

Knicks won't be sneaking up on anybody, that's for sure....
Uncle Drew

Postby BronBron06 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:58 pm

at what age does lebron retire at mygm
bosh and dwight is gone at 2020, wade is gone at 2021

Im lazy a bit lazy in simming with all the playing time complaints popping up every fvcking 2 weeks.
Though it sure was fun getting all 3 of those super rookies of 2018 draft by trading away most of my laker players cept for ball and kuzma
BronBron06

Previous

Return to NBA 2K18