Now is the time to buy NBA Live 18

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

Re: Now is the time to buy NBA Live 18

Postby RayRay_953 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:55 am

Agreed, once you have a great team, getting the easier challenges is cakewalk. Sometimes, I dreaded doing the Hero Challenges, not because they're difficult, but once you build your team, it's about 30 minutes you just want to get over with. Although, I can say that the Master Challenges are what make the mode exciting (albiet with some bull that the AI likes to pull), and those are definitely the challenges that I'm looking for with my current team.

Off topic, but I'd really like to see your team in LUT Dee. I don't know if you have played Ultimate Team in a while, but there were lots of legends released, and it kept us grinding to get them.
RayRay_953

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:09 am

shinron15 wrote:Agreed, once you have a great team, getting the easier challenges is cakewalk. Sometimes, I dreaded doing the Hero Challenges, not because they're difficult, but once you build your team, it's about 30 minutes you just want to get over with. Although, I can say that the Master Challenges are what make the mode exciting (albiet with some bull that the AI likes to pull), and those are definitely the challenges that I'm looking for with my current team.

Off topic, but I'd really like to see your team in LUT Dee. I don't know if you have played Ultimate Team in a while, but there were lots of legends released, and it kept us grinding to get them.

I played 3 or 4 games after I got Jalen Rose, and stopped. I had a lot going on in my life, and 2K17 is still the preferred game at the moment. If I get back into it, Ill share my lineups with you.

Big props to Live for steps forward this year, but I think what will make me a consistent player will be a multi-team franchise option (The ability to be a user for as many teams as we want), and some sort of legends pool. I don't think Live is ready for classic teams (2K messes them up royally sometimes though, lets keep that in mind), but I do think they are ready for a legends pool. Now, the problem with that is that it comes with a price. If the Live team considers the Ultimate Team portion of it's game popular because of the grind for legends, and if they think that the sales could suffer by them just including all those guys in a offline pool for regular rosters, they won't do it. Personally, I think if they brought back the all decade teams or a legends pool, it would increase the sales of the game enough where it would balance out (Or, they would even make more). But I don't know the numbers, I wish I did.

Still, I think Live could have done a little more in 2 years of development (Roster editing should have been on release day, not a patch), but they did take steps in the right direction. I like the attention to detail on the patches, because it makes me believe that Live 19 will be a sure thing. They are not giving up on the series, they are working hard on it. Major kudos to the Live team for that.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:17 am

Classic teams in LUT have been pretty good so far. I've played against like 8 of them so far. To be fair, they were are relatively recent teams and they did have trouble filling the oldest team I played, the '11 mavs missing Kidd, Caron, Marion and Stevenson
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:25 am

[Q] wrote:Classic teams in LUT have been pretty good so far. I've played against like 8 of them so far. To be fair, they were are relatively recent teams and they did have trouble filling the oldest team I played, the '11 mavs missing Kidd, Caron, Marion and Stevenson

Yeah, you cant have that. Id rather they have all decade teams or a legends pool than classic teams missing so many key players. Look how silly the 70-71 Hawks have looked in 2k for years.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby RayRay_953 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:40 am

[Q] wrote:Classic teams in LUT have been pretty good so far. I've played against like 8 of them so far. To be fair, they were are relatively recent teams and they did have trouble filling the oldest team I played, the '11 mavs missing Kidd, Caron, Marion and Stevenson

Which is strange, since not only is Kidd a coach, he has a card (albeit it's his rookie card, but I would've let it slide)

Dee4Three wrote:Yeah, you cant have that. Id rather they have all decade teams or a legends pool than classic teams missing so many key players. Look how silly the 70-71 Hawks have looked in 2k for years.

The '71 Hawks had a decent amount of players before Walt Hazzard and Bob Boozer were removed from the lineup. Then all of a sudden, they have their entire bench cut. What makes it more strange, is that most of the players not present on the classic teams actually have unused PA calls in 2K17 (I found calls for Bob Christain and Randy Brown buried deep within). It feels like 2K11, where the non-Bulls classic teams only had either the starting 5 only, or some teams had 1 real bench player.

Also, bonus points for Live 18 for including Moses Malone.
RayRay_953

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:01 am

Moses was in 2K for years before his passing. He was on the 84-85 76ers... without Barkley. Ive said this numerous times before, who the hell makes the decision to put the 84-85 76ers in the game each year (taken out in 2K17) without Charles Barkley who averaged 20 and 10, instead of putting in the 82-83 76ers championship team. I mean, if you are not going to have Barkley, might as well put the championship team in the game WITHOUT him on it. It's mind boggling how these decisions make it into the games production.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:11 am

Dee4Three wrote:

Yeah, you cant have that. Id rather they have all decade teams or a legends pool than classic teams missing so many key players. Look how silly the 70-71 Hawks have looked in 2k for years.

Maybe they should go the all time team route like they've been doing with weekly legends packs
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:15 am

That wouldn't be bad, it would probably encourage them to get even more classic players to fill out the teams.

Im all for it.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:24 pm

FYI it's on sale again this week, 8.99 for PS Plus members, and a whopping $4.50 for XB1
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:42 am

[Q] wrote:FYI it's on sale again this week, 8.99 for PS Plus members, and a whopping $4.50 for XB1

Is it strange that this worries me a little bit?

I understand lowering the price, but not to pennies. It makes me wonder if they are desperate to show higher numbers because the initial returns were poor.

I really want NBA Live 19, hopefully this isn't a sign that the game did really poor sales wise.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:23 am

Honestly I'm not worried as I don't think Live 18 has done poorly sales wise based on people's decently positive reception of the game and the sales that they've already had this season. I think they definitely are trying to boost sales numbers but at the same time almost demoing potential for Live 19. Getting people onboard now will pay dividends once the Live 19 demo and the full game comes out. To me it shows they have confidence that a 2k player can try the game and actually have fun and like it. They aren't trying to (mostly) beat 2k at their own game, but carve out their own little niche in the marketplace
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:18 am

I'm with Q. I can see how it could be a concern, but I think it's just trying to get as many people on board as possible, with the promotional prices providing a low risk, low investment means of giving the game a chance. I'd say EA are fully aware of the game's reputation following its struggles, and people's reluctance to try it out at full RRP. They obviously want to get as many sales moving forward and this surely helps, but I don't think it's a sign of the series going away, especially after the more positive reception and general feeling that it's on a good path.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:19 am

Live 19 last night (after a few days away from it) the game just feels like another game. The game feels much tighter allowing players to use more space. They're really been cooking under the hood. Also I'm noticing a lot of new and better animations.
ThaLiveKing

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:01 am

ThaLiveKing wrote:Live 19 last night (after a few days away from it) the game just feels like another game. The game feels much tighter allowing players to use more space. They're really been cooking under the hood. Also I'm noticing a lot of new and better animations.

This is good to hear!

And thanks Q/Andrew, that makes me feel better and makes sense.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:25 am

Yes there have been plenty of people on the internet in the last month saying they wound up trying Live because of the low price point. There's no way any of those people would have given it a shot for $60 or even the $40 on the preorder
It's a lot of money to invest into a game that you don't think that you're going to like.

Now by word of mouth it'll spread and more people will give it a chance
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:31 am

It's also worth noting that every year people have proclaimed NBA Live will be cancelled, or it'll be the last one. Somewhat understandable given the history, but EA has continued to persevere and defy those predictions.

The only release that's been cancelled is the Q1 2017 release, and even then, no game was actually ever previewed or really formally announced. Releasing a game that late in the season seemed like a doomed idea anyway, so they went ahead and kept working on it to release it as NBA Live 18 later in the year. It may be splitting hairs, but that may not even count as a cancellation. In any event, it was a smart decision, as a Q1 2017 release didn't make a lot of sense.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby matmat66 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:22 am

Is there a chance for a Live 19 PC release?
matmat66

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:40 am

I'm not expecting a PC version at this time.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby matmat66 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:50 am

Alright, Andrew. Let's just hope they also make a pc port. I mostly play on pc with my son using the PS4. Now that I'm playing NBA live, I have to take away some of his play time on ps4 :lol:
matmat66

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:53 am

I'd definitely like to see it, but their priority is getting the game up to speed and establishing stronger sales on the platforms with the larger user base of basketball gamers (i.e. PS4 and X1). There's still a ways to go there, which is why I don't like the chances of a PC release just yet. It's obviously feedback that we're passing along, though!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby matmat66 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:18 pm

Thanks, Andrew. It will be great for the community to have 2 modifiable pc games.
matmat66

Postby [Q] on Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:55 am

I don't know if it means anything, but in the PS store if you browse best selling games, nba live 18 is first on the list.

Seems legit as #2 is monster hunter which has been on fire. Everyone's playing that one.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:56 am

They seem to have done quite well with digital sales this year, thanks in no small part to all the discounts.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Previous

Return to NBA Live 18