Your Journey to Being The One

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

Your Journey to Being The One

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:40 pm

Here's a topic all about The One; both The League, and The Streets.

How far along are you in The One? I'll admit that I've mostly been playing the challenges, and a bit of the Pro-Am tour so far. Since I'm already playing MyCAREER in NBA 2K18 in order to grind up my player a little quicker for 2K Pro-Am, I haven't put much time into The League, as it feels like doubling up.

However, that's where I really have to give credit to the upgrade system in NBA Live 18. Even just playing a few of the LIVE Events challenges, I found myself earning Skill Points quite quickly, on top of Reward Points and Hype. It definitely feels like much less of a grind to get to a point where my player doesn't feel exceedingly weak online or in the NBA portion of the mode. I do prefer being able to buy specific items to random drops in crates, but the RP system is way better than VC. My ideal approach would be to combine the two: earn RP at a fair rate, buy the gear you want, as you want it.

Perhaps my biggest complaint thus far is that I can't find a good camera angle. The broadcast cam is alright, but the camera doesn't follow your player, which isn't ideal in transition. The baseline angles feel a bit too zoomed in, without a really good view of the court. What's everyone's preference for camera angles in The One?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Your Journey to Being The One

Postby zzcoolj21 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:41 am

I have a few players I'm building up on The Streets

zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby [Q] on Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:42 am

I wish the baseline cam was a bit higher so you could see the shot clock. I lost interest once my first player hit max and had created a second one for the trophy. I wound up getting back into it a little with the latest wave of live events for jerseys. I really got back into it this last weekend, redoing the pro am to clear the objectives that I couldn't get as a pg the first time (rebounds and blocks were impossible)
I had the Kemp jersey but I had really wanted a Payton version and I found out that you get a Payton jersey for completing objectives in Seattle so I had to play through the first 3 cities to get to Seattle to get the jersey.

On a side note, I think we might be getting more characters from NBA street judging by the nickname list.

I might wind up playing some of the league but I think I'm down for a while until they have new jerseys come out. I'll be playing more ultimate team than the one
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby zzcoolj21 on Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:35 pm

My ironically defensive minded guard
zzcoolj21

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:26 pm

Nice work on those NBA Street legends. (Y)

[Q] wrote:I wish the baseline cam was a bit higher so you could see the shot clock.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the selection of camera angles. The zoom and positioning isn't quite right, and as already mentioned, the focus on the ball rather than your player makes it difficult to keep track of your player, especially in transition.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby zzcoolj21 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:13 pm

Spent most of the day building up my own player. Visions of my old athletic finisher from NBA 2k12.
zzcoolj21

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:41 pm

Looking strong. Plenty of RP for crates too, I see!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:49 am

Man you really like throwing alley oops lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

My progress so far

Postby iceinmyveins on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:20 pm

Figured I'd add my progress to this thread. I was drafted by the Bucks, I think, but I requested a trade to the Timberwolves. It's been a lot of fun so far. Towns, myself as a pass-first but able to score point guard, challenging Teague for starter position, lol.

I've already dropped a huge 42 points and double-digit assists. (I'm on PRO difficulty, I think). My dude still can't shoot very well, but I'm trying to build up his attributes. I also started playing the street challenges. Won the first game in Philadelphia. Overall, I enjoy it FAR MORE than any "my career" I've ever tried on that other game franchise.

I'm most impressed by the face scanning. I look just like myself, which is a huge draw and appeal to me. 2K never quite looked right with theirs.
iceinmyveins

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:32 pm

NBA Live's face scanning is pretty impressive. Considering 2K were the first to do it (although originally not via an app; NBA Live did that first), NBA Live's tech for scanning your own face seems to be a lot better. Not only does 2K's seem to fail and bug out a lot, but the results are nowhere near as good. The hairstyles and especially the facial hair are also inferior, in my opinion.

Of course, you also don't have to purchase hairstyles and facial hair in NBA Live, but that's another topic altogether.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby iceinmyveins on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:34 pm

Andrew wrote:NBA Live's face scanning is pretty impressive. Considering 2K were the first to do it (although originally not via an app; NBA Live did that first), NBA Live's tech for scanning your own face seems to be a lot better. Not only does 2K's seem to fail and bug out a lot, but the results are nowhere near as good. The hairstyles and especially the facial hair are also inferior, in my opinion.

Of course, you also don't have to purchase hairstyles and facial hair in NBA Live, but that's another topic altogether.
Oh, yeah! I'm very pleased. Actually caught my stubble. 2K17 did too, but Live is just a grade above IMO. The facial hair/hairstyles in-game blend much more nicely with my face than 2K, also.

Someone said up top the camera is a bit too high, but I do like the behind the action cameras, shows how nice the game actually looks, like the scuff marks on the courts, etc.
iceinmyveins

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:13 pm

It's good for that, but it's not really that great for gameplay. The issue is that the camera follows the ball rather than the player you're controlling, which gets disorientating unless you're the ballhandler, or defending the ballhandler.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby deihatein on Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:00 pm

How do you upgrade skills aside from your main skillset? I've played 3 NBA games so far but haven't found anything that increases my speed for example.
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby zzcoolj21 on Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:14 am

Saw a video talking about how overpowered the playmaker and wing defender builds are if you max their stats and traits.

Yeah. They are broken.

With the 3pt shooting and dunking traits at gold, you get a better dunking stat than a slashing guard build at 88, and you get a 3pt stat of 82. Enough shooting to get consistent green releases and 88 dunk is more than enough for poster animations

If you want to max a player out before 19 comes I highly recommend making a playmaker.
zzcoolj21

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:50 am

Might have to start over with a Playmaker build, then. It'd be nice to be able to dunk again in career modes. :lol:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 18