"Win by three" in NBA Live 17 Pro-Am?

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

Should the "win by three" rule be in effect in LIVE Pro-Am in NBA Live 17?

Yes
40%
No
20%
Yes, but it should be an option, not a hard rule
40%

Total votes : 5

"Win by three" in NBA Live 17 Pro-Am?

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:54 pm

For those of you who've spent time with LIVE Pro-Am in NBA Live 16, how would you feel about a "win by three" condition?

On one hand, I sort of like the current approach, because it's kind of a wildcard. If you're trailing 18-20, you can go for broke and try a three to win the game. Miss, and you better make the stop! On the other hand, it feels like kind of a cheap way to lose when you're the team that's up 20-18.

I know the normal condition would be "win by two", but since twos and three count for the regular amount in LIVE Pro-Am, a "win by two" condition would allow you to instantly win from a 19-20 deficit with a three, which would be just as cheap. Unless they're also going to change twos and threes to count for one and two respectively, "win by three" is probably the way to go.

I think the best compromise would be to add it as an optional condition, though if it has to be one way or the other, I think I'd prefer the condition to be in effect. That way, nailing a three when you're down 18-20 is still going to swing the game in your favour, as you've come back from the brink of defeat to at least extend the game, and will have a chance to win if you get the stop on the next play. I think it could also extend some games into some epic back and forth battles between evenly matched squads.
This topic was moved from NBA Live 16 by Andrew on Thu May 25, 2017 2:21 am.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: "Win by three" in NBA Live 17 Pro-Am?

Postby ThaLiveKing on Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:51 am

Win by 2 :D
ThaLiveKing

Postby Patr1ck on Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:47 am

I voted no. I think playing straight up is good. Being on the winning team of those 3 point game deciding shots is satisfying and relieving. On the other hand, being the team at 20 and losing on a 3 can be a positive experience as well, driving you to play tougher next game, even though it was momentarily disappointing. It keeps the intensity up when one open look can end all you worked for.

If EA were to change this, I think win by 2 should only be invoked once a team has 20 points. That way, the 18-20 3 pointer doesn't win the game, neither does a 2 pointer at 19-20. I also would not want it as an option, since many people would disagree with each other. If they do start to allow an option such as winning by 2 or 3, then they should allow other options like playing by 1's, half court 2-on-2, 3-on-3, 21, horse, knockout, around the world, set point games(7 by 1's, 15 by 1's and 2's, 21 by 2's and 3's, etc) or even timed games.

On another note, whether they decide to allow extended games or not, they should extend the teammate grade as well or offer bonus sp after hitting 100.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:33 am

ThaLiveKing wrote:Win by 2 :D

With twos and threes counting for their normal amount, it'd have to be win by three. Otherwise, hitting a three when you're down 19-20 is an instant win, same as being down 18-20 without the condition.

Pdub wrote:I voted no. I think playing straight up is good. Being on the winning team of those 3 point game deciding shots is satisfying and relieving. On the other hand, being the team at 20 and losing on a 3 can be a positive experience as well, driving you to play tougher next game, even though it was momentarily disappointing. It keeps the intensity up when one open look can end all you worked for.

If EA were to change this, I think win by 2 should only be invoked once a team has 20 points. That way, the 18-20 3 pointer doesn't win the game, neither does a 2 pointer at 19-20. I also would not want it as an option, since many people would disagree with each other. If they do start to allow an option such as winning by 2 or 3, then they should allow other options like playing by 1's, half court 2-on-2, 3-on-3, 21, horse, knockout, around the world, set point games(7 by 1's, 15 by 1's and 2's, 21 by 2's and 3's, etc) or even timed games.

On another note, whether they decide to allow extended games or not, they should extend the teammate grade as well or offer bonus sp after hitting 100.

All very good points. I suppose the condition would really work better with twos and threes counting for one and two respectively, like the old one-on-one mode. Even if they don't adopt that option, I would like to see some more gameplay options like 2-on-2 and 3-on-3, fleshing out the mode a bit with a bit of variety.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Ermolli on Mon May 09, 2016 2:48 am

I don't like how it currently is, winning by just one point is kinda cheap as said before.
I get the arguments against the win by two, I just like it because it's how it's ruled where I play basketball, that or play up to four with the team that was winning 21-20 be 1-0 or 22-20 be 2-0.
Ermolli

Postby Andrew on Mon May 09, 2016 9:43 am

I have to admit I've soured on the idea a little, as Pat made some good points there. Having played 2K Pro-Am recently, I actually wouldn't mind having an option to play with full rules.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Ermolli on Wed May 11, 2016 11:58 am

Andrew wrote:I have to admit I've soured on the idea a little, as Pat made some good points there. Having played 2K Pro-Am recently, I actually wouldn't mind having an option to play with full rules.

Wait, aren't all NBA rules in the mode already in the game (besides free throws)?
Ermolli

Postby Andrew on Wed May 11, 2016 12:13 pm

More or less, but 2K's take on Pro-Am is full rules, free throws and all, four quarters of basketball. I've come to like both approaches for what they bring to the table, to the point where I'm not sure which I really prefer now.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Ermolli on Wed May 11, 2016 12:58 pm

I'd like that IF you could create your own team with friends, I wouldn't tolerate an entire game playing with ballhogs and chuckers, which plague the mode.
Ermolli

Postby Andrew on Wed May 11, 2016 1:02 pm

Yeah, both approaches are a lot more fun when you're playing with a regular squad that shares the ball and plays like a team. Being a walk-on isn't a lot of fun, because of the ballhogs and chuckers.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 18