Detract From Immersion - Nonsense Tweets

Talk about NBA 2K17 here.

Detract From Immersion - Nonsense Tweets

Postby fjccommish on Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:48 pm

2018-19 Bulls trailed 7-0 and then by 13 points in the first quarter. They managed to take the lead as the first quarter ended, on a buzzer beater.

Nonsense Tweet from Jarrod Rudolph - Bulls dominate Rockets from opening tip, cruise to a 122-98 win.

A team down 7-0 then down 13 points didn't dominate from the opening tip.

It's almost as bad as the nonsense on NBA.com about the enlightened NBA coaches not liking Trump.
fjccommish

Re: Detract From Immersion - Nonsense Tweets

Postby mp3 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:11 pm

Cool story bro.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Arcane on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:00 pm

And the world is a little bit dumber for reading this thread
Arcane
The NLSC's Jim Jefferies
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:04 pm

Make NLSC threads great again!
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Arcane on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:09 pm

Finally a wall we can all get behind
Arcane
The NLSC's Jim Jefferies
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:11 pm

David Aldridge said I had a double-double, when I really had a triple-double. Wow 2K, way to kill the immersion! You may as well cancel 2K18 now, because based on this, it’s obviously going to be trash.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:17 pm

Kenny wrote:David Aldridge said I had a double-double, when I really had a triple-double. Wow 2K, way to kill the immersion! You may as well cancel 2K18 now, because based on this, it’s obviously going to be trash.

Pre order cancelled.
mp3

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:26 am

I couldn't tell if his post was serious or not. But now I am guessing it is?

If so, in real life Local Broadcast, ESPN and TNT they say this type of stuff all the time if a team was leading at the end of the first quarter and throughout the game. They also use the term "wire to wire victory".

However, even if that was not the case.... seriously????

By making this post, I could have bought into the trolling again. You can all make fun of me if you would like. But I've seen real complaints like this before... and I scratch my head...
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby fjccommish on Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:41 am

"Finally a wall we can all get behind" People are behind the wall. That's why Trump won.

I didn't claim it was a game killer. I didn't claim 2K should cancel plans for future games. I didn't claim it made the game unplayable. I mentioned it as an example of something meant to add realism, add immersion, but instead it takes away from immersion.

Show me an example of a news article stating "wire to wire" victory or "dominate from opening tip" after a team trailed the entire first quarter, including falling behind by double digits.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spur ... 007169.php

Spurs never trailed, led by as many as 10 in the first quarter, ended the first quarter up 9. That's wire to wire, dominate from opening tip.

Game killer? No.

Detracts from immersion, the opposite of what's intended by adding social media posts in the game? Yes.
fjccommish

Postby Arcane on Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:19 pm

fjccommish wrote:"Finally a wall we can all get behind" People are behind the wall. That's why Trump won.

No Trump won the electoral vote because hillbilly motherfuckers like you assumed he was going to make them rich again and go back to the slave era of the cotton picking and tobacco fields.
Arcane
The NLSC's Jim Jefferies
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:14 pm

fjccommish wrote:I didn't claim it was a game killer. I didn't claim 2K should cancel plans for future games. I didn't claim it made the game unplayable. I mentioned it as an example of something meant to add realism, add immersion, but instead it takes away from immersion.

Sure, but let's just say there might be a few people who don't seem to care for your constant nitpicking of the game in areas where they can't possibly please you unless they flew Ernie, Kenny, & Shaq out to your home to talk to you personally while you play the game:

fjccommish wrote:Bulls down in the NBA Finals 1 game to 0. .9 remains in the game after the Lakers Zubac hit two free throws to go up 109-107. Bulls have no timeouts. So the game is over.

Nope.

Bulls inbound, Point Guard Mack Potter flings a 3/4 court shot...it's good!

Referees go to replay. They rule the basket good. Lakers win 110-109.

No mention of the 3/4 court buzzer beater in post game show. No mention of the buzzer beater in any of the social media headlines.

Pre game for the next game does Ernie mention the buzzer beater? No. He goes to the canned "...we get our first change of venue, but what hasn't changed is my two colleagues..." blather.

Blurring the boundaries between a video game and the real world? Not so much.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
General reaction "The presentation is so real!. It's like watching the real NBA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Emperor's new suit is so cool!"

fjccommish wrote:Prior to a game between the Bulls and 3-9 Celtics, Ernie asked what factors are behind the resurgence of the Celtics.

fjccommish wrote:This is uttered before game 7 of the NBA Finals.

"82 regular season games, 3 rounds of the playoffs" to get right here.

MyLeague is 29 game seasons.

fjccommish wrote:Sometimes they'll say something like "he's been on fire from the 3 point line all game" after someone hits the first 3 pointer of the game.

I play without the commentary. Even without the mistakes, it's repetitive. But I still hear the post game and pre game crap. Ernie, Shaq, and Kenny have little enough personality, much less their pre-recorded counterparts with their canned "personality".

Seriously, it's a freaking GAME that they have to program before it reaches your hands, so it won't be perfect and there's no way that every detail of the game will be personalized to your experience. If you want more, watch the real thing on TNT.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:23 pm

fjccommish wrote:I didn't claim it was a game killer. I didn't claim 2K should cancel plans for future games. I didn't claim it made the game unplayable. I mentioned it as an example of something meant to add realism, add immersion, but instead it takes away from immersion.

Never implied that you did claim that. I was merely adding another asinine minor grievance since I thought this was the thread for it.

I just never understood how something so minor was of any consequence, let alone a subject so important that it warrants its own thread.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:57 pm

fjccommish wrote:"Finally a wall we can all get behind" People are behind the wall. That's why Trump won.

I didn't claim it was a game killer. I didn't claim 2K should cancel plans for future games. I didn't claim it made the game unplayable. I mentioned it as an example of something meant to add realism, add immersion, but instead it takes away from immersion.

Show me an example of a news article stating "wire to wire" victory or "dominate from opening tip" after a team trailed the entire first quarter, including falling behind by double digits.

Spurs never trailed, led by as many as 10 in the first quarter, ended the first quarter up 9. That's wire to wire, dominate from opening tip.

Game killer? No.

Detracts from immersion, the opposite of what's intended by adding social media posts in the game? Yes.

Iam sure Leftos is very sorry for this.
mp3

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:47 am

Just want to throw this out here.

#1 - To bring up Trump or anything political in a NBA 2K17 section is really annoying. And your comparison to a video game tweet makes no sense.

#2 - However, because it's now been brought up. let me say a few things. To say that "Hillbilly Motherfuckers" impacted the electoral vote to get Trump in is also crazy. You do realize that both candidates are corrupt as hell right and part of a corrupt system? And that the choice was not that of the people regardless, those were not the two candidates we wanted up there, lets not act like we had any damn control over what the hell happened. Christ, the "protests" have been proven to be mostly paid protests (Ads on Craigslist asking for organized protests, for money, in most every damn city there was a protest). Keep thinking that we are helping make the decisions of who gets placed into office, those decisions are made in advance. Also to Arcane, I find your post pretty insulting, I am not a supporter of any of the candidates who ran, but your wording is shitty. And for the moderators who feel this post is insulting, please see the guy who called the guy who posted a hillbilly motherfucker.

#3 - fjjcommish - Where I do agree with others, is that your complaint does NOT deserve a thread. This complaint, and several others you made (mentioned above) are so petty I can't even believe it. I feel like handing you a copy of NBA 2k9 to see if you can enjoy yourself for even 5 minutes without nitpicking every little thing wrong with it. The amount of options/detail/authenticity we get with these games are basically unmatched in the industry. It's an amazing VIDEO GAME experience, and a solid simulation. Spend your time complaining about gameplay issues you see that could be improved in either a patch or 2k18.

Lastly, to Arcane again. I don't know you personally, and I don't see you post on here often. And I am sure you have a reason for your opinions, as do I. But to lash out on someone as a hillbilly motherfucker, and stereotype the crap out of someone who made a petty complaint about a game and just said the name "Trump", is absolutely insane. All of this Trump/Clinton political garbage pits the population against eachother, creating unnecessary labels, name calling, stereotyping, racism, bigotry, etc... Stop that nonsense, you are completely falling into the media propaganda trap. That's what creates the damn divide.

I would actually like to see this thread deleted off of this section, because I don't want anybody thinking that this is what NLSC is about, or that people with actual titles on here act like that or even lash out.
Last edited by Dee4Three on Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby CarolusXCI on Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:03 am

Dee4Three wrote:Just want to throw this out here.

#1 - To bring up Trump or anything political in a NBA 2K17 section is really annoying. And your comparison to a video game tweet makes no sense.

#2 - However, because it's now been brought up. let me say a few things. To say that "Hillybilly Motherfuckers" impacted the electoral vote to get Trump in is also crazy. You do realize that both candidates are corrupt as hell right and part of a corrupt system? And that the choice was not that of the people regardless, those were not the two candidates we wanted up there, lets not act like we had any damn control over what the hell happened. Christ, the "protests" have been proven to be mostly paid protests (Ads on Craigslist asking for organized protests, for money, in most every damn city there was a protest). Keep thinking that we are helping make the decisions of who gets placed into office, those decisions are made in advance. Also to Arcane, I find your post pretty insulting, I am not a supporter of any of the candidates who ran, but your wording is shitty. And for the moderators who feel this post is insulting, please see the guy who called the guy who posted a hillbilly motherfucker.

#3 - fjjcommish - Where I do agree with others, is that your complaint does NOT deserve a thread. This complaint, and several others you made (mentioned above) are so petty I can't even believe it. I feel like handing you a copy of NBA 2k9 to see if you can enjoy yourself for even 5 minutes without nitpicking every little thing wrong with it. The amount of options/detail/authenticity we get with these games are basically unmatched in the industry. It's an amazing VIDEO GAME experience, and a solid simulation. Spend your time complaining about gameplay issues you see that could be improved in either a patch or 2k18.

Lastly, to Arcane again. I don't know you personally, and I don't see you post on here often. And I am sure you have a reason for your opinions, as do I. But to lash out on someone as a hillybilly motherfucker, and stereotype the crap out of someone who made a petty complaint about a game and just said the name "Trump", is absolutely insane. All of this Trump/Clinton political garbage pits the population against eachother, creating unnecessary labels, name calling, stereotyping, racism, bigotry, etc... Stop that nonsense, you are completely falling into the media propaganda trap. That's what creates the damn divide.

I would actually like to see this thread deleted off of this section, because I don't want anybody thinking that this is what NLSC is about, or that people with actual titles on here act like that or even lash out.

Great post, I couldn't agree more.
CarolusXCI

Postby mp3 on Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:04 am

No need to continue with this, lock it up.
mp3

Postby fjccommish on Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:29 pm

"#1 - To bring up Trump or anything political in a NBA 2K17 section is really annoying. And your comparison to a video game tweet makes no sense."

It was annoying to go to NBA.com to see a headline about NBA coaches attacking Trump and his supporters as racists. It was annoying to go to NBA.com to read about Van Gundy saying Trump is a racist because he's going to kick President Obama out of "his house" - the White House, where Presidents live.

I can send anyone who wants one a Personal, Portable Safe Place. They're $19.99.

I talk about the bad commentary and presentation (including social media posts in the game) because it's something in the game. Other people talk about incorrect socks, or headbands out of place, or whatever. If it's in the game, it's going to be discussed. I don't mention some things because many people talk about them. If presentation is important enough to add to the game, to mention in marketing the game, to applaud in reviews, then it's important enough to criticize when it's not good. Psst - it's not good except for the first few games played - the amount of time most reviewers play before writing their reviews.

There are elements of the game I like - there has been tremendous improvement in the way superstar players on CPU teams play and impact the game. There are elements I don't like - presentation, injury issue, foul issue, lack of ability to set all rules (including foul out at 7 or more fouls). Last year, those negative elements overshadowed the positive elements. I stopped playing the game after a few weeks.

This year, the positive elements overshadow the negative elements. I'm still playing the game after a month and a half. It's still fun.
fjccommish

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:05 pm

Thank you for clarifying. However, all of that is annoying, period. But it still doesn't have anything to do with your tweet issue in the game. Keep that other crap out of here, if you want to use another type of example, that would work as well.

And yes, I agree that the positive elements in this game far out weigh the negative. There are little things that bug me every now and than as well, like the assistant coaches being annoying during timeouts. But, in the grand scheme of things, I may add it to the NBA 2k18 wishlist along with other improvements, but not start a completely new thread to complain about that one thing.

The game has come a long way with next gen, I said it before. This is the 2k9 of the xbox 360 in my opinion as far as being the game where it really started coming together for a new console / or gen. Funny, 2k9 was the 4th game in that gen, and technically 2k17 is the 4th game on this gen.

Either way, let's just move on. We can certainly make our lists long and detailed if needed in the wishlist section for 2k18. And maybe recommend a list of fixes you would like to see on the next patch.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:53 pm

I definitely agree that it's time to move on.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby fjccommish on Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:53 pm

There are two key issues I hope they fix.

1. The fouls in the paint. They said something about a fix in the last patch, but the problem persists.

2. The over abundance of leg injuries.
fjccommish

Postby mp3 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:21 am

You do have a point with fouls in the paint.

When I play I always run plays and a lot of the time if your coming off a screen and drive to the basket you can pretty much guarantee free throws.
mp3

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:25 am

That, and the mysterious fouls that always happen when a guy is driving, and you don't even press the steal button.. and your guy goes for a steal anyway and the offensive player flails his arms and gets to the line.

It's pretty frustrating when you play great defense for 20 seconds, and your opponent drives uncontrollably into traffic and that happens.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby I Hate Mondays on Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:34 am

Why does EJ still have glasses? :(
I Hate Mondays

Postby Uncle Drew on Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:46 am

mp3 wrote:

Game killer? No.

Iam sure Leftos is very sorry for this.

Leftos? Who's that? :roll:
Uncle Drew

Postby fjccommish on Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:04 pm

I know the game has presentation so real it's hard to tell the game from the real sport on TV.

But here's another example of the presentation.

The 10-8 Raptors have won three games in a row, including their last game against the league leading 16-2 Bulls, who were 16-1 going into the first game against Toronto.

What's the pre-game talk about Toronto? "With a losing record the last 10 games, Toronto is trying to get back on a winning track."

OK? Toronto is 4-6 over the last 10, but they've won 3 in a row including the last game against the Bulls. That's a winning track. They are trying to continue the winning track, or trying to take another one from the Bulls in back to back games against the defending eastern conference champ.

If it detracts from immersion, remove it. Get rid of this. I have to skip it every game, because it's repetitive and often irrelevant.
fjccommish

Next

Return to NBA 2K17