Grading Logic

Talk about NBA 2K17 here.

Grading Logic

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:09 pm

In short, it still leaves much to be desired in NBA 2K17. Apparently, this is a "bad block attempt":

phpBB [video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdpI5ViC37s

From the looks of it, because Valor managed to get the chase down block, my attempt was considered redundant and therefore bad...even though I managed to get back, alter the shot, and not commit the foul. There's also the issue of sometimes getting hit with a "lose ball" deduction when you're fouled, the foul being the reason for losing control of the ball in the first place. The whole system feels very antiquated at this point, still skewed towards punishing than rewarding or fairly assessing, and not taking into account the overall performance. You can play a brilliant game for three quarters, and then drop two grades due to a couple of errors early on in the fourth quarter where you're up by 30.

I recently went back and played a bit of NBA 2K15 to get some screenshots for the character pages in the Wiki, and I have to admit that the grading system has improved a little since then. However, it still feels "last gen", with a lot of legacy issues and logic that almost seems like it's designed to make it harder to earn VC.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Grading Logic

Postby mp3 on Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:23 am

I've also hated the rating system in mycareer, I haven't bothered with it for a few years but when I did and I was played for the Bucks I'd constantly get called for "bad call for the ball" when I was the point guard and Bogut would grab a weekend and he had the pg and sg standing there and he just held the ball not knowing who to pass to.

I also hated Bogut (I ment to post this in your bad teammate article) as I'd pass him the ball right near the basket and he would kick it out instead of laying it up...
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:42 am

Fortunately, they have fixed the "Bad Call for Pass" deduction, as it only seems to happen when you do call for a teammate to make a risky pass and it's deflected and/or intercepted. There's a deduction for excessively calling for the ball, but mostly you just get a notification that your call has been ignored, which isn't a deduction. Still a lot of problems, though.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby CT4 on Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:10 pm

Yeah the grading has become slightly better but I still have the problem when I go for a rebound but randomly 2K decides to block noone and then I would get ''Bad Block Attempt''
Celtics and Kristaps Porzingis fan from Latvia.
Not much else to know really.
CT4

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:34 pm

Unfortunately, it still doesn't seem to account for context either. For example, if you try your best to get the rebound but certain circumstances prevent it (eg an odd bounce, you're a point guard battling a seven foot centre, and so on), you'll get hit with the "Allow Offensive Rebound" deduction, despite your efforts. In one game, a rebound missed long and bounced back to my opponent on the perimeter who was just in the right place at the right time, and I got penalised for it.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K17