Commercialization Of Legal Pot Has Led To Epidemic For Colorado Kids

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Commercialization Of Legal Pot Has Led To Epidemic For Colorado Kids

Postby benji on Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:08 pm

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/09/20/s ... t-pot-use/

The parents CBS4’s Melissa Garcia spoke with say they’re concerned about their children seeing messages promoting pot all over town. Activists say it’s the way pot is marketed and sold that has started to create some serious problems.

“I never dreamed in a million years that this would happen to my son,” said parent Kendal, who didn’t want to use his last name.

Kendal came home one evening to find his 13-year-old son unconscious from what he says was a marijuana overdose.

He was gray. His heart wasn’t beating and he wasn’t breathing,” he said.

Kendal used CPR to resuscitate him and later talked to his son’s high school peer and supplier.

“I had heard from kids that there was 60 percent of this particular high school using drugs, and she shook her head and said, ‘That’s way low,'” Kendal said.

“Kendal’s story breaks my heart, but I’ve got to tell you we have heard that from hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of parents throughout the state,” said Diane Carlson, Smart Colorado co-founder.

Carlson says Colorado’s child and teen use of marijuana has become an epidemic.

“Kids have no idea how dangerous or harmful Colorado’s pot is,” she said.

According to a report released this month by the Rocky Mountain High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area, Colorado saw a 29 percent increase in emergency room visits, and a 38 percent increase in hospitalizations during retail marijuana’s first year.

The study states that over 11 percent of Colorado’s 12 to 17 year-olds use pot — 56 percent higher than the national average. It also cites a 40 percent increase in drug-related suspensions and expulsions — the vast majority from marijuana.

Carlson says the culprit is its commercialization.

“Marijuana might have been legalized in our state; it did not have to mean massive commercialization and promotion of marijuana use,” she said.

benji

Re: Commercialization Of Legal Pot Has Led To Epidemic For Colorado Kids

Postby benji on Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:09 pm

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
benji

Postby Axel on Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:07 am

CBS is a shitty news organization. All we have as evidence of this so-called epidemic is:

1. An anecdote about a single kid overdosing on weed, when tens of millions have done it without overdosing
2. Statistics from an organization whose mission statement is promoting the war on drugs

Rocky Mountain HIDTA
https://www.ncjrs.gov/ondcppubs/publica ... ky-fs.html

Mission Statement: The mission of the Rocky Mountain HIDTA is to facilitate cooperation and coordination among federal, state and local drug enforcement efforts to enhance combating the drug trafficking problem locally, regionally and nationally. This mission is accomplished through joint multi-agency collocated drug task forces sharing information and working cooperatively with other drug enforcement initiatives including interdiction.

So what we have is a propaganda piece bolstered by statistics from the DEA. I'm not surprised that the federal government disagrees with Colorado's pot laws, since they circumvent federal laws and bring immense revenue to Colorado.

So how many people died again? I counted zero. It's more likely that the kid was deathly allergic to weed than overdosed.
Axel

Postby ThePointForward on Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:44 pm

Overdose on weed? That would be the first one in like what? Forever?

I don't get what all the fuss is about anyway. Are they going to ban promotion of cigarettes too? Of alcohol?
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby bigh0rt on Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:06 pm

It's impossible to overdose on weed. Just ask anyone who smokes weed all the time. They'll tell you all about it. You won't even have to ask them.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby ThePointForward on Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:56 pm

Exactly my point.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Return to Off-Topic