Rocket League is Awesome, if you have PS+ you HAD no excuse, NONE

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Rocket League is Awesome, if you have PS+ you HAD no excuse, NONE

Postby koberulz on Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:10 pm

Is there a way to hide your offline rank in online play? I see others have no rank listed, but I can't find an option to hide it. Is that just what happens before you get enough XP to reach 'rookie'? I can't remember how it worked.

I'm getting sick and tired of people noticing I'm listed as 'Master' and hurling abuse at me for being too shit to be ranked that high. I'm a Prospect III, so are they, all 'Master' means is I've played a lot.
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby Andrew on Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:50 pm

In the Garage (I believe), you can choose to have no tag.

Funnily enough, I encountered some rather unpleasant people when I was playing with my friend earlier in the week. Certainly a rarity for me in the Rocket League community (at least so far), but there are plenty of jerks in the world, so you will run across some eventually. Sounds like you've had much worse luck with it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:16 pm

Seems so. I have awful internet (my ping hit 800 last night) and I'm not very good, which doesn't help. And obviously people just aren't understanding how offline ranks work. Found the option in the garage, cheers. Hopefully that'll limit my negative interactions.

Had a real bitch of a game last night; my teammate quit and then my opponents, now playing two-on-one, just sent one car to demolish me while the other player scored. I don't understand how that's fun for them.

My two biggest issues are a complete inability to use ball cam and sailing over the ball every time I try an aerial. Between the two, I'm pretty limited in how far I can go.
koberulz

Postby Andrew on Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:14 am

Aerials definitely take a lot of practice. Occasionally I'll make a decent aerial play, but it's still kind of by accident when I do.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:21 am

Same here, but I'd feel a lot better if I wasn't too high by the exact same amount almost every time. I don't seem to be able to learn or improve or change or anything.
koberulz

Postby [Q] on Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:43 am

I played last week and some bitch on my team started playing for the other team so it was a 4v2 match. I kept getting matched up with him on opposing teams but then he would play well for his own team
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:09 am

No jerks in my recent session, thankfully. I get that it's competitive, and you can really get into the matches, but it is a game at the end of the day. Everyone should take Ricky Rubio's advice:

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:31 am

I think I'm running at about a 30% jerk rate. It feels higher, but that's probably just because they stand out more; whenever I actually pay attention to it it's around that mark. No idea how you manage to avoid them.

Played a solo game against a guy the other night who would just get the ball in the general area of the goal, then ignore it completely to demolish me, go back and get it and score. And then spam the 'what a save!' quick chat.

Also had a particularly great example of my aerial awfulness earlier today: I went up for a ball about crossbar height...and it bounced under my car.
koberulz

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:05 am

I play with a friend, and usually only one or two nights a week. Apart from that, I guess I've just been really lucky. Sometimes there's a bit of taunting, but usually it seems mostly in good fun. There's only been one night so far (last week) where we seemed to run into some really unpleasant people.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:00 pm

What rank are you?
koberulz

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:05 pm

Prospect, but my friend has played a lot more, so we do get matched up with some pretty good players when we play competitively.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:53 pm

That might be it. I wander between Prospect III Div III and Prospect Elite Div III for the most part, same for my opponents. Perhaps the higher up you get the dickheads get weeded out a bit.

Certainly being ranked higher would get rid of the dickheads who bump you out of the way when you're about to score/make a save, despite being on your team, because XP is more important to them than winning.

Come to think of it, 80-90% of the dickheads are actually on my team, so playing with a friend is probably the answer.
koberulz

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:02 pm

Seems like it's probably a factor. We got off to a bad start in one game and a random my friend and I were teamed up with in a 3v3 got really upset, telling us we shouldn't be playing competitively and wanting to forfeit the match. Dude, it's just a game. Sometimes, you have a bad one. Chill.

But yeah, for me that's a rarity. It's really only been that session where we ran into some jerks.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:20 pm

Yep, I've had plenty of those. Sometimes because it's laggy as fuck and I can't really do anything anyway, sometimes because I'm just playing poorly, and sometimes because they're stupid.

The other night I was playing, I centered a ball perfectly only for my teammate to just sit and watch it, so the other team took it straight down the field for a goal. He called me an idiot and quit.

It's not quite on the same level, but teammates who sit in goal the entire time annoy the hell out of me. I'll center a ball, expecting them to tap it in, only to realise they're all the way down the other end. Basically leaves me playing 1v2 on offense.

And if you do it with mere seconds to go when behind by a goal, there's a special place in hell for you.
koberulz

Postby Andrew on Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:33 pm

Just had a very frustrating session, topped off by running into some more jerks. Game is losing its shine, I have to admit.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:44 am

Oh yeah, the ones where you're playing poorly and then it starts lagging and then you run into a couple of assholes are the worst.
koberulz

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:04 am

I haven't run into lag yet, but check and check for the other points in my last session. I'm sure it's frustrating when you get randomly teamed up with someone who is having an off-day, but like I said before, it's a game. Off-days happen, some matches aren't going to go as well as others. Seriously, chill.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:13 am

phpBB [video]
koberulz

Postby [Q] on Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:43 pm

New Rumble update is out. I had a lot of fun playing for the first time in a long time. The game had grown a bit stale for me. Love the boxing glove!
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:45 pm

A friend and I usually get a few games in each weekend, so I expect I'll be trying it out very soon.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:01 pm

Played a game with it last night in between some 2K Pro-Am games, and I have to admit, I really wasn't a fan. Too wacky and chaotic for my tastes.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:47 am

Is it stupid to have an arcade-vs-sim argument over a game centred around rocket-propelled flying cars?

I haven't tried Rumble, but Neo Tokyo gets on my nerves. I much prefer it when it behaves like an actual sport, with uniform rules and fields and things. Wasteland annoyed me initially, but at least it's kind of similar to the rest of the stadiums.
koberulz

Postby [Q] on Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:03 am

Ha I see the game as "arcade" because there's nothing in real life to simulate

Rumble is cool because I'm not that good and at times it can even the playing field
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:59 am

koberulz wrote:Is it stupid to have an arcade-vs-sim argument over a game centred around rocket-propelled flying cars?

I haven't tried Rumble, but Neo Tokyo gets on my nerves. I much prefer it when it behaves like an actual sport, with uniform rules and fields and things. Wasteland annoyed me initially, but at least it's kind of similar to the rest of the stadiums.

That's kind of my position on it too. For me, it's just too many variables, too much added chaos in a game that is already fast-paced and chaotic at times, but in a good way. It's a fun idea and I can see why people like it, but it's not for me.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:39 pm

I was sure I'd agree with you, but holy shit is this fun!

I'll probably still spend most of my time in duel/doubles ranked, but if I'm ever having a bad day with the internet I'd rather play Rumble TBH. Spent a good hour just playing 1vs2 against bots on Unfair difficulty and had a blast. Did play a couple of online games, but the extra cars do make it a bit of a mess; I'd recommend putting together a smaller game if you haven't tried that.

Once you start to get the hang of the powerups and use them tactically, rather than just hitting the button right away, it gets to be tremendous fun.

My third and fourth goals here are good examples of that, but my fifth is possibly my favourite Rocket League goal ever:
phpBB [video]
koberulz

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic