Bloodborne

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Bloodborne

Postby Cpt(K) on Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:13 am

No one started a thread for Bloodborne, which is a little disappointing. I'm reluctant to start one because I'd mainly gloss over the many important details - oh well.

What I first knew only as "project beast" or the next successor in Fromsoftware's "souls series" has since long ago been confirmed as a release that is pending for March next year. Obviously I'm elated with the news that Bloodborne has some relation with the first souls game called "Demon's Souls," especially since the director mentioned its supposed to have a "Tower of Latria" atmosphere. The tower of latria was an area in Demon's Souls unlike the others, which possessed significantly more eeriness among other things.

In all honesty there was nothing really scary at all about the previous soul titles, actually you'll be hard pressed to even jump at anything in the previous three titles. I don't think I'm startled easily, especially since I couldn't contain laughing at the conclusion of the trailer seen here:

phpBB [video]

I must say that though there are distinct similarities, which have transferred over from the previous titles - the game does give a different vibe. Contributing factors would certainly include, but are not limited to the encounters (I mean, no past souls title displayed this much gore) and their aesthetics. I do think the blood is a little over done, because the splish splash looks a little exaggerated. I do, however, like the blood stains accumulated upon the player and his allies: about time developers took the environment's elements into account. Water drenching was also present in their last Souls title as well as visible equipment degradation.

I'm really digging the absence of glowing "buddies" or "foes," previously I saw that as an aid, but also an immersion breaker. A change that I and many others welcome, because cooperative play will not interrupt the immersion of the ghastly atmosphere. In addition there's also a new composer for the game's soundtrack. I really liked Motoi Sakuraba's work in the previous titles, but I will say the first Dark Souls soundtrack was significantly better than the second. Nonetheless I've heard some samples from his work, and they definitely can fulfill the role the game provides them.

Combat looks interesting and fast paced. The imfamous roll seems to have been removed entirely, and weapons obviously are of a different nature. There are also no shields, but there are guns. I didn't see any healing mechanisms except for the introduced concept of "they strike you, you strike them back - faster" as a means of recovering health. I'm assuming that after dying so much you'll turn into a beast and be hunted by other players - perhaps until you revert back. A plague mask, and other face covering items may be hinting at some kind of disease or blight that has affected the townsfolk. Exposure to the ailment may have consequences, which makes me wonder what other visible changes will be present.

Character customization had better have improved from the previous titles. Their customization of the player model has always appeared limited with the exception of the abundance of clothing and armor. I'm specifically referring to underneath. I was disappointed with the limited proportions and variances of body builds in their last game. I would also like the character (or hunter if you prefer) to have a voice. A choice of said voice would be the icing on the cake. Finally, the story behind Hidetaka Miyazaki's games aren't always crystal clear from the start on, which I find interesting since you appear to have to rummage through item descriptions and npc dialogue to really uncover anything.

Anyone else anticipating the release of Bloodborne? I'm considering getting the collectors edition myself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cpt(K)

Re: Bloodborne

Postby Cpt(K) on Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:13 am

Next week will be brimming with terrific co-operation, and I'm curious if anyone here will be along for the ride?
Cpt(K)

Postby Cpt(K) on Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:36 pm

I for one am pleased with the game in many ways, though I'm a little critical of some of the little details in the game itself. Firstly the tutorial appeared much less informative than their past titles. There's more to the game's basic controls than what is let on in the first 5 minutes. If you survive the first 5 minutes (like I did) you would have been trying to learn on your own- whereas if you died sooner the game would've taken you to the nexus-esque central hub of the game (where the player manages most of their things before heading out again).

The game has been out for nearly a week now and I've already vanquished the Cleric Beast, Father Guacamole (Not his actual name),the Blood-starved Beast, Woman-who-turns-into-a-beast, Darkbeast Paarl (a more difficult boss for me), and the Witch of (insert name I forgot here).

I was able to completely solo it out until the Darkbeast Paarl Bossfight, where I just couldn't seem to recognize any of its weaknesses until another player joined my game - the battle was over very quickly.

More so I really welcome the similarities of Bloodborne to some of it's predecessors - namely Demon's Souls (the title which started my infatuation with FromSoftware). Having logged over 20 hours already you could say I'm really liking the game, despite whatever flaws it may have (of which it does).

So does anyone else have any impressions? Some members of the community appeared to have played a couple of FromSoftware's previous titles. I'm curious. :bowdown2:

Here are some screenshots of my hunter:

This one was taken just because I thought it should have, I had already encountered this enemy before. A tall, dark, and anorexic enemy with long hair and a large sickle.
This is an area I have not explored yet, but I plan too after school/work today. There's an enemy unknown to me waiting in ambush . . .
An earlier screenshot, and this is my hunter's other outfit - I try to wear one piece of armor from different sets to attain uniqueness.
Cpt(K)

Postby Cpt(K) on Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:57 am

It's been well over a week since the release of the game, and only until recently had I taken advantage of the recording features the PS4 offers. I'm most pleased by the trim function, which allowed me to cut the time by quite a bit.

Here's some of my gameplay - one of the more fun boss fights I've had in the game so far.
phpBB [video]
Cpt(K)

Postby Lamrock on Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:28 pm

Souls version here who couldn't resist as some coworkers have the game and it looked awesome. Not very far and I really suck but I've enjoyed it! In Old Yarnham right now.. Its a bitch
Lamrock

Postby Cpt(K) on Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:51 pm

Oh yeah I remember being particularly peeved because the gattlin' gun didn't damage enemies that would go through the line of fire, although certain enemies do damage others (such as the giant pig's charge/lunge attack).

I've been playing all their titles since Demon's Souls (I've never played Kingsfield though), and I recently convinced two of my other friends to purchase the game - they've had their struggles but are coming along. Cooperative play has been really shaky, because you can find a match with random players well enough, but not with your friends (it takes forever usually, for the game to connect you and your friends with your password filter in my experience).

I'm probably near the end-game, I haven't looked at the wiki much because in truth I wanted to see how far I could go without spoiling myself. :mrgreen:
Cpt(K)

Postby Cpt(K) on Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:59 am

Finally I have defeated the One Reborn. After about three to five tries I decided to spend an entirety of 400k blood echoes to strengthen my hunter, which effectively raised my level from the 50s to 71. All the previous attempts I was completely unaware that you could be rid of the annoying bell ringing women so the fight became much simpler after they were dealt with. I'm still having a reluctance to rely much on the regain system (hitting an enemy to regain health) because I'm so worried that I may "one-hit."

phpBB [video]
Cpt(K)

Postby Cpt(K) on Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:12 am

While going through the lecture hall, which was very interesting by the way - I encountered two doors with an aura of sorts emitting from them, I stepped through each of them, and they both led me to another area of the game that I must clear. Doing this allowed me to access more areas in the "nightmare headstone." I must say that the headstones remind me very much of the arc-stones from Demon's Souls. Well, after defeating the boss who I believe to be responsible for the nightmare realms.

Interestingly I had a hard time with the endless spawn of enemies who really slowed me down during the fight. Took me about 3-5 tries to defeat him, and when I did it took a tremendous amount of time.
phpBB [video]
Cpt(K)

Return to Off-Topic