Recent Controversial Events in the US

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Recent Controversial Events in the US

Postby Mandich on Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:21 pm

I don't know how else to call the thread.

From the thin infromation I've seen and collected there has been some "controversial" black murders going on.

Michael Brown (Who was a dickhead from what I've seen but don't know what exactly happened, but I've heard he's robbed a store moments before gettign shot)

That 12-year old gettign shot for waving his gun around.

The I can't breathe guy who was truly a victim of harrasment. The decision not to sue the officer was terrible.

Given the fact some of you live in the states, what's the situation there? I've seen a lot of protest. I just want to know how people in general reacted to all of this.
Mandich
Muffin Button

Re: Recent Controversial Events in the US

Postby Kevin on Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:58 pm

Armageddon's happening. REPENT NOW.

But really, the world is messed up right now.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby bigh0rt on Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:06 am

There's a lot of media sensationalization going on, lots of protests, etc. We live in a time where race relations are better than they've ever been in United States history. We unfortunately also live in a time where it's still not fair or equal, especially in certain areas of the States. My take on the Michael Brown case in Ferguson, based on the information that was reported, was that the officer acted properly. The Eric Garner case in New York seems to be a bit different. Again, we only get to see some of what happened in the video, and in that, it appears that excessive force was used. However, I also read that he had been arrested 20 something times previously, and even in the video he was, in fact, resisting arrest, pulling his arms out when they were trying to handcuff him, and so forth. My opinion is that his health and weight played a large role in his death, in addition to the choke hold that was applied to him. That hold, while being against police protocol, is used all the time, on people of all color, and people don't die. It is extremely unfortunate that Eric Garner did, and I would've liked to see the officer who applied the choke to him at least stand trial.

I try to see it from an African American point of view, as well, as best as I can. I understand not wanting to have to worry that your son may be shot for, more or less, 'being black'. Not even just being shot, but being treated differently, harrassed, etc. That even if he breaks the law, that he is treated the same as a caucasion person who would have allegedly committed the same crime. That the police aren't abusing their power in general, or with respect to particular races. Some of them unfortunately do, and they make the entire profession look bad, despite the vast vast majority of police officers being good, honest, fair, hard-working people. The media sensationalizes it because it creates divide, so we don't hear about identical instances that take place where a white officer shoots a white kid, a black officer shoots a black kid, so on and so forth. It tries to get people to see a much greater divide than actually exists, which sucks.

I think non-violent protest is an amazing right that we have here in America, and think it is a great way to enact change. I think that those who see protest as an opportunity to loot and steal are among the worst people on the planet, as we saw the evening of the Ferguson grand jury report. It was reported that only 20% of the arrests made on looters and rioters were Ferguson residents, and that the rest were out of towners looking to come and capitalize on the situation -- not people who were actually protesting for a cause. We can't just smack a label on 'protestors' for this reason, as badly as people want to. Every other protest that I've read about has been peaceful and organized, with very few exceptions.

That's the super abridged version, from me at least. Do I think police should be required to have body cameras on them at all times? Eh, I haven't really thought it through fully enough to weigh in there. My gut reaction is sure, because it would serve as much as a protection for themselves as for alleged criminals.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby bowdown on Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:10 pm

Except for Michael Brown I have sympathy for other two deaths. There is racism alive in more subtle forms but I think its time for African Americans to fix their culture from within. Their history began when they were brought over as slaves and over generations a lot of self-destructive values and ideas became engrained in their culture. No other racial minority in the US causes more trouble because those are immigrants that come from cultures that promote productivity and respect, not destructiveness and opposition to authority.

What MLK did was a great thing but now it is up to African Americans to start cleaning up the vices in their self-destructive culture that gives them the bad reputation amongst all other races, not just whites.
bowdown

Postby benji on Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:07 pm

The most important thing is that the police go home safely at the end of the day, if that means a few of them have to suffer the tragedy and horror of paid leave, so be it.

Drug laws and other things on the books have nothing to do with it, the idea that they create an unofficial and more violent justice system while destroying families are just liberal lies. The real truth is as then White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs put it regarding the murder of a 16 year old that maybe he "should have a far more responsible father."

The King's Men are always superior to the serfs, especially those who are outsiders literally waging war against society as represented by the state.
benji

Postby Mandich on Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:20 pm

Good thing I'm not in the US then.

Here in Croatia people protest as often as they can (last protest was so unnecessary even the protest leaders couldn't give you a clear answer why they are doing it, talk about madness)

On the other hand, unemployment is a large problem, and people are constantly complaining about how they can't get a job (people without a degree who don't want to work for a bellow average pay).

Luckily, there haven't really been cases of police brutality, nor is this a dangerous place to live. It's just that the effects of the war can still be felt, and by felt I mean the wrong people are still in charge because of their war heroics.
Mandich
Muffin Button

Postby NovU on Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:40 pm

Deleted
Last edited by NovU on Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby bigh0rt on Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:20 am

^ It's sentiments like this that show just how mis-informed people unfortunately are. To say racism is nearly non-existant is unbearably ignorant, and serves to take away from any tangible, coherent argument you could potentially try to make following it. There's a bit of truth in some of what you say, regarding the media, so on and so forth; but to suggest that racism is nearly non-existant suggests that you've literally never been to any American city, major or otherwise. That you've never conversed with a member of a minority group, and seen that very often they are denied equal opportunity to many different aspects of society to their white counterparts. I have no idea if this is the case in other parts of the world, but it certainly exists, albeit to a much smaller degree than in past decades, in the United States. Denial of that is simply ignorance, and pretending something doesn't exist that very clearly does, for whatever reason.

In short, LOL at most of that. Even the sporadic truths sprinkled in get so lost in the nonsense and blatant ignorance to reality.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:36 am

No need to feel rage there, young grass hopper.

Here's some food for thought. Realize USA and Canada are BY FAAAAR the most racially tolerant countries in the world. Yeah, let's feel more sorry about ourselves. (lol, usa now has open border policy in south, gov/media started calling those who oppose racists!)

I used to be you in the past, some forum members could confirm this probably. But the discussions led me to doing some research of my own and I share entirely different view now. Seeing lights takes time but leads to a same evidence/conclusion in 90% of cases. Till then, sure, call me ignorant while you are the one that's not done any homework.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby [Q] on Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:12 am

Why did you delete what you said? I am curious now
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:07 am

Nothing much but some sensible stuff for those who actually opened their eyes to real issues. I just deleted the comment because I'm a courageous coward.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:00 pm

NovU wrote:Deleted

Martin Luther King didn't die for this.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Cpt(K) on Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:32 pm

Prepare yourselves, because I may be going against the grain with these statements. I didn't think I'd encounter a thread such as this with the NLSC community, but its always intriguing to learn each others thoughts on matters like these.

Well I don't really feel anything significant should be derived from any of the recent media fueled firestorms. People die all the time, and the only time news networks care to report is if it fits a certain narrative - stirring the pot. Emotionally driven distress appears to be very profitable for certain organizations and individuals, whether ratings or extortion - the incentive to incite strife is ever growing. Fellow citizens of the United States may be familiar with the names of Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and maybe even Louis Farrakhan - who have their own well established notoriety.

I can't take anything reported as a "controversy" seriously anymore, because of the blatant disregard for proper reporting. I don't call any single news source completely factual as all of them are susceptible to spinning something in circles. You can't name a single news source that maintains a constant level of consistently accurate reporting without their own edge inserted.

The United States news media likes to frenzy over just about anything, but what really gets dicey is the politics. I personally didn't much care for the "news" until about four or five years ago, especially now because of experiences I've seen my relatives and friends alike endure.

Racism among other highly sensitive topics has a tendency to be unnecessarily thrown into places where it doesn't belong - or otherwise didn't exist in to begin with. An example would be an ordinary individual asking the First Lady of the United States to retrieve something off of a shelf: one can obviously surmise that the woman who asked for assistance must've been short, and therefor opted to ask a stranger who is considerably more capable of performing the task.

There isn't a single person on the planet that will tell you racism is extinct, but there are people who will say that its definitely less prevalent in the United States and other similarly more developed countries than others. There are also individuals who will say that the United States is no better off, or in fact is a cesspool of bigoted racists, which I find to be quite false. On the contrary as NovU stated earlier: western civilization has made as many leaps if not more than the other civilizations across the globe. We're by no means perfect, but I'm confident were not absolutely horrible.

Percentages of our unique citizenship have contributed to the familiar "melting pot" metaphor cast upon our nation's history. Throughout our history as well as others I'm sure, we've had our own blunders that have stained an otherwise great nation's legacy. Nonetheless there is no reason to demonize our society. My much older stepbrother lives in Australia and has had many things to say in comparison between his new home and old. Overall he couldn't notice a significant difference, though, his opinion is subject to change like any other.

Politics play a rather impressionable role in the news networks in the United States. Political correctness also negatively impacts the way reports are delivered. I won't get into anything too in depth because I am just not interested. My incomplete synopsis of recent events are these:

Michael Brown: Has a criminal record (look it up), and assaulted a man in a store - then proceeded to walk in the street, and defied the Officer's authority - Brown allegedly initiated a scuffle of sorts, and was promptly shot. Main stream media conjures up rhetoric pertaining to a narrative about racist white cops mercilessly killing unarmed blacks. Some sources tried to declare it an epidemic of sorts, or "open season" on blacks. Evidence suggests that early witness accounts of "hands up don't shoot" were false, as the wounds were created from the front not the back and further examination revealed a struggle within the policeman's vehicle, and Brown's own blood on the firearm. Nonetheless, his death isn't something to gleefully celebrate or riot about - I'm certain he had special people in his life. Compassion folks. Unfortunately this didn't stop some people from taking advantage of the situation for their own ends. I'm certain this shouldn't have been a national story.

Eric Garner: Has a criminal record (look it up), allegedly the NYPD has a history with Garner and made multiple arrests, however, he was allegedly harassed by the police after being confronted about a crime. Video footage explicitly shows Garner being surrounded, but exercising a refusal to comply - so force was applied to subdue him - unfortunately a policeman used a certain technique, which was frowned upon (policy) that contributed to Garner's death - Garner had an upper respiratory health condition, which only worsened with policemen upon him. Originally it was widely recognized as a definite misuse of force, but further evidence suggests that Garner did indeed resist being restrained prior to being forcefully subdued. Again, he must've left some close individuals behind when he passed, which is all the more unfortunate, however, I do not blame the police for his death. I'm also certain that this shouldn't have national attention.

12-year-old boy: Well, allegedly playing with a modified toy gun that frightened some residents - which resulted in a policeman arriving to the scene, and unfortunately killing the child after seeing the weapon pointed his direction. Another tragedy that didn't have to happen, but I still will not blame the police for the child's death. I believe the blame rests upon the parents or guardians of that child, who were not paying enough attention to confront their child about a toy that looked real.

All of these cases are similar, given that the media's chosen victim was a deceased black citizen. The villain was obviously portrayed to be the white man, or white Hispanic (if you recall the Trayvon Martin debacle). The media also deliberately injects race, even without input from the affected party. Media coverage encourages individuals and organizations to appear and "demonstrate." Not to say their aren't good demonstrations, but lately all the bad ones have received the most coverage - contributing to the pot being stirred even further.

I don't even think it's necessary for me to say this, but I'm "black." My ethnicity doesn't earn anymore merits than it loses with regards to my statements. Perhaps it will provide some reassurance that careful thought and consideration is still present within the United States citizenry. I regularly watch news stations such as Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC - I also visit internet news sites like, PJ Media, Media Matters, and other sites which intentionally identify themselves as conservative, liberal, or libertarian and so on. Knowing what each side has to say is important when joining a discussion.

I've learned that a more accurate way of finding facts may be to look at many different sources, though, I do identify myself as a conservative - I don't necessarily hold all conservative values or principles. A grave mistake I've seen many people make is associating everything with anything. In other words", you're liberal so you must support abortion or big government." The reverse statement applies as well. Many ideals which a person may hold in contempt are then plastered upon individuals who think differently, which is wrong. Regardless of what someone believes to be true or applicable the discussion or conversation must be conducted in an orderly civilized manner, which is difficult of course but not impossible. My immediately previous statement strongly exhibits why I do not care much for modern "journalism" anymore, because many journalists who receive a significant amount of attention can't help but skewer one another.
Cpt(K)

Postby benji on Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:21 pm

Few "journalists" know anything about what they're covering and hired talking heads are required to fashion everything into a simple two-team formula for easy consumption.

Racism isn't the problem except that the unchecked unaccountable violence of the state is so rampant and pervasive that an apparatus has been erected that allows rabid racists to maximize their influence. (And then pat themselves on the back for helping the lesser races. It's for their own good.)

You can frame police/prosecutor abuse of power and violence with racial terms if applicable:
phpBB [video]

ImageImage

Or you can frame it in the pure absurdity and violation of human rights for everyone that it is:
phpBB [video]

ImageImage

Unless your job is to parrot talking points in 90 second chunks or less than 500 words.
benji

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:52 am

Cpt(K) wrote:Prepare yourselves, because I may be going against the grain with these statements. I didn't think I'd encounter a thread such as this with the NLSC community, but its always intriguing to learn each others thoughts on matters like these.

Well I don't really feel anything significant should be derived from any of the recent media fueled firestorms. People die all the time, and the only time news networks care to report is if it fits a certain narrative - stirring the pot. Emotionally driven distress appears to be very profitable for certain organizations and individuals, whether ratings or extortion - the incentive to incite strife is ever growing. Fellow citizens of the United States may be familiar with the names of Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and maybe even Louis Farrakhan - who have their own well established notoriety.

I can't take anything reported as a "controversy" seriously anymore, because of the blatant disregard for proper reporting. I don't call any single news source completely factual as all of them are susceptible to spinning something in circles. You can't name a single news source that maintains a constant level of consistently accurate reporting without their own edge inserted.

The United States news media likes to frenzy over just about anything, but what really gets dicey is the politics. I personally didn't much care for the "news" until about four or five years ago, especially now because of experiences I've seen my relatives and friends alike endure.

Racism among other highly sensitive topics has a tendency to be unnecessarily thrown into places where it doesn't belong - or otherwise didn't exist in to begin with. An example would be an ordinary individual asking the First Lady of the United States to retrieve something off of a shelf: one can obviously surmise that the woman who asked for assistance must've been short, and therefor opted to ask a stranger who is considerably more capable of performing the task.

There isn't a single person on the planet that will tell you racism is extinct, but there are people who will say that its definitely less prevalent in the United States and other similarly more developed countries than others. There are also individuals who will say that the United States is no better off, or in fact is a cesspool of bigoted racists, which I find to be quite false. On the contrary as NovU stated earlier: western civilization has made as many leaps if not more than the other civilizations across the globe. We're by no means perfect, but I'm confident were not absolutely horrible.

Percentages of our unique citizenship have contributed to the familiar "melting pot" metaphor cast upon our nation's history. Throughout our history as well as others I'm sure, we've had our own blunders that have stained an otherwise great nation's legacy. Nonetheless there is no reason to demonize our society. My much older stepbrother lives in Australia and has had many things to say in comparison between his new home and old. Overall he couldn't notice a significant difference, though, his opinion is subject to change like any other.

Politics play a rather impressionable role in the news networks in the United States. Political correctness also negatively impacts the way reports are delivered. I won't get into anything too in depth because I am just not interested. My incomplete synopsis of recent events are these:

Michael Brown: Has a criminal record (look it up), and assaulted a man in a store - then proceeded to walk in the street, and defied the Officer's authority - Brown allegedly initiated a scuffle of sorts, and was promptly shot. Main stream media conjures up rhetoric pertaining to a narrative about racist white cops mercilessly killing unarmed blacks. Some sources tried to declare it an epidemic of sorts, or "open season" on blacks. Evidence suggests that early witness accounts of "hands up don't shoot" were false, as the wounds were created from the front not the back and further examination revealed a struggle within the policeman's vehicle, and Brown's own blood on the firearm. Nonetheless, his death isn't something to gleefully celebrate or riot about - I'm certain he had special people in his life. Compassion folks. Unfortunately this didn't stop some people from taking advantage of the situation for their own ends. I'm certain this shouldn't have been a national story.

Eric Garner: Has a criminal record (look it up), allegedly the NYPD has a history with Garner and made multiple arrests, however, he was allegedly harassed by the police after being confronted about a crime. Video footage explicitly shows Garner being surrounded, but exercising a refusal to comply - so force was applied to subdue him - unfortunately a policeman used a certain technique, which was frowned upon (policy) that contributed to Garner's death - Garner had an upper respiratory health condition, which only worsened with policemen upon him. Originally it was widely recognized as a definite misuse of force, but further evidence suggests that Garner did indeed resist being restrained prior to being forcefully subdued. Again, he must've left some close individuals behind when he passed, which is all the more unfortunate, however, I do not blame the police for his death. I'm also certain that this shouldn't have national attention.

12-year-old boy: Well, allegedly playing with a modified toy gun that frightened some residents - which resulted in a policeman arriving to the scene, and unfortunately killing the child after seeing the weapon pointed his direction. Another tragedy that didn't have to happen, but I still will not blame the police for the child's death. I believe the blame rests upon the parents or guardians of that child, who were not paying enough attention to confront their child about a toy that looked real.

All of these cases are similar, given that the media's chosen victim was a deceased black citizen. The villain was obviously portrayed to be the white man, or white Hispanic (if you recall the Trayvon Martin debacle). The media also deliberately injects race, even without input from the affected party. Media coverage encourages individuals and organizations to appear and "demonstrate." Not to say their aren't good demonstrations, but lately all the bad ones have received the most coverage - contributing to the pot being stirred even further.

I don't even think it's necessary for me to say this, but I'm "black." My ethnicity doesn't earn anymore merits than it loses with regards to my statements. Perhaps it will provide some reassurance that careful thought and consideration is still present within the United States citizenry. I regularly watch news stations such as Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC - I also visit internet news sites like, PJ Media, Media Matters, and other sites which intentionally identify themselves as conservative, liberal, or libertarian and so on. Knowing what each side has to say is important when joining a discussion.

I've learned that a more accurate way of finding facts may be to look at many different sources, though, I do identify myself as a conservative - I don't necessarily hold all conservative values or principles. A grave mistake I've seen many people make is associating everything with anything. In other words", you're liberal so you must support abortion or big government." The reverse statement applies as well. Many ideals which a person may hold in contempt are then plastered upon individuals who think differently, which is wrong. Regardless of what someone believes to be true or applicable the discussion or conversation must be conducted in an orderly civilized manner, which is difficult of course but not impossible. My immediately previous statement strongly exhibits why I do not care much for modern "journalism" anymore, because many journalists who receive a significant amount of attention can't help but skewer one another.

Brawn Shadley wrote:Martin Luther King didn't die for this.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Cpt(K) on Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:04 am

Brawn Shadley Shadowngrin, I'm not taking that bait you've just thrown out there. :cool: I'm curious as to what you "think" he died for though. :wink: Of course you don't have to answer, because I recognize the Fifth Amendment. :lol:
Cpt(K)

Postby benji on Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:54 am

Who cares about MLK, the philander communist stooge? Why don't we have Malcom X Day? "The Ballot or the Bullet" is like ten times better than anything MLK wrote.

Plus he took care of his own protection:

Though it admittingly didn't go very well.
benji

Postby [Q] on Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:45 am

benji wrote:Who cares about MLK, the philander communist stooge? Why don't we have Malcom X Day? "The Ballot or the Bullet" is like ten times better than anything MLK wrote.

[ Image ]

And Malcolm was loyal to his wife. MLK was a serial cheater.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:00 am

Indeed, Malcolm > MLK

Sometimes you wonder end game to all this madness.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Cpt(K) on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:32 am

Oh is this where the thread is going? I must be very slow . . . You guys have it all wrong, even though Malcom X contributed some positives to civil rights . . . Louis Farrakhan > Malcom X :lol:

Louis Farrakhan masterfully determined that there was a huge gaping hole below a levee that failed in New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina. He insinuated that it was a deliberate attempt to decrease the number of black folks. Farrakhan was able to use his clairvoyance to see the devilish intent of the white people, who were rubbing their hands together in mischievous glee just anticipating the loss of lives black lives. Betcha didn't know Farrakhan dabbled in some ESP, and he's actually pretty good at it.

Latent-psychic-civil-rights-activist > ventriloquist-dummy-civil-rights-activist
Cpt(K)

Postby benji on Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:19 pm

Ah, but Malcom X repudiated his earlier beliefs (and the Nation) after studying politics and such. Louis Farrakhan just got old. (And had Malcom X killed amirite.)

benji wrote:Who cares about MLK, the philander communist stooge? Why don't we have Malcom X Day? "The Ballot or the Bullet" is like ten times better than anything MLK wrote.

[ Image ]

You idiot, it's spelled philanderer.

NovU wrote:Sometimes you wonder end game to all this madness.
[ Image ]

lol Dick Morris
benji

Postby NovU on Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:03 pm

Malcom X >>> Farrakhan

There are many great scholars in the states if anyone's interested. Noam Chomsky is one of them imho.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby benji on Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:10 pm

Well, technically he is a scholar being a professor of linguistics but I've heard his work on that has come under fire in recent years after being considered pretty good.
benji

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:55 pm

Cpt(K) wrote:I'm curious as to what you "think" he died for though.

He died for Jimmy Carter.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Mandich on Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:43 am

Brawn Shadley wrote:
Cpt(K) wrote:I'm curious as to what you "think" he died for though.

He died for Jimmy Carter.

For Carter Center*

rumour has it he came back as a ghost and won the Nobel peace price for Jimmy.
Mandich
Muffin Button

Next

Return to Off-Topic