What to do?

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

What to do?

Postby Cpt(K) on Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:42 am

So I got my hands on a MSI GP60 2PE Leopard earlier this week (for a much lower price than that alienware desktop surprisingly), and it has windows 8.1 preinstalled on it. Obviously, because I'm not particularly pleased with the GUI I want to downgrade. I've looked high and low [but there's no place to gooo *tower of power*], and even registered at their official site.

Afterwards I posted in a somewhat recent thread about the issue. I'm posting here now because I wanna know if there is anything I could have potentially missed? For reference here is the link to the thread: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=171361.0

Incidentally, what does the NLSC community think of Windows 8? I realize the controversy has lessened much over the amount of time, but I'm curious. Finally, any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not very comfortable modifying anything in this regard at this point. Especially if I'm relying on my own understanding, but I obviously will not hold anyone else accountable.
Cpt(K)

Re: What to do?

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:00 pm

It's gotten better, but I'm still not a fan myself. Still running Windows 7 on both my desktop and laptop.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:26 pm

I just use http://www.classicshell.net/

It lets you customise a lot of things and makes Windows 8 easier to use.
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Cpt(K) on Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:22 pm

Ah yes, I already use classic shell. It is a wonderful program, but I just don't like windows 8 very much. Faster boot, somewhat more security, but the interface turns me away.

Well, I've finished downloading all of the windows 7 drivers and now am in the process of creating back up discs via BurnRecovery. 5 Discs total are apparently required, so I'm burning those right now. I really hope whatever functionality my current OS provides will be similar to the new (or technically old) OS I plan to install. If my frames per second aren't negatively impacted, I'll be a very happy man.
Cpt(K)

Postby Cpt(K) on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:09 am

Apparently there are certain downgrade rights which apply to specific versions of windows 8.1 that I didn't know about. Well, it seems that because I don't have windows 8.1 pro (it's not listed in my system information), but just regular windows 8.1 - so that could mean my edition of windows 8.1 is within the criteria for downgrading.

I already have a physical copy of windows 7 home premium, and though I stated earlier that I may not be within rights to downgrade to home premium - that rule may not apply to a regular windows 8.1 operating system (I don't even have the pro pack). Thoughts? Am I correct in assuming downgrading to windows 7 home premium wouldn't cause trouble?

I'd like to keep most everything in tact, and though I have much more emphasis on preserving the machine's performance - I'd like to not violate or void any rights as well. I'm not well aware of how Microsoft operates in this regard.
Cpt(K)

Postby Andrew on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:28 am

My understanding is if you have a legal copy of Windows 7 and a formatted hard drive in need of an operating system, you're certainly not doing anything illegal. As for any warranties, you'd need to look into that.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to Off-Topic