Fallout 4

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Cpt(K) on Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:35 am

First person needs to be absolutely more immerse. I want to see every limb of my body as I would in real life - I'll still buy the game but . . . I will be completely satisfied if third person and first person animations are significantly better than their previous titles. (Y)
Cpt(K)

Postby ThePointForward on Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:51 am

It doesn't happen too often, mainly because you need full 3rd person animations (and they have to be great) and put the camera in the eyes of the player's character.

And then this happens

phpBB [video]
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:27 am

‘Fallout 4′ Doesn’t End With The Main Story & Has No Level Cap

To our fans who’ve asked: Fallout 4 doesn’t end when the main story is over and there is no level cap. You can keep playing and leveling.

Great news. While Fallout: New Vegas had superior story branching to Fallout 3, some nice additions, and really good DLC expansions, the ability to keep playing Fallout 3 after the end of the Broken Steel DLC (the "true" ending of the game), exploring the wasteland, finding hidden stuff, going for 100% completion and all that, was certainly most welcome. New Vegas ends with the Second Battle of Hoover Dam, which isn't terrible, but it would've been nice if the adventure could have continued beyond that. Of course, I'm just talking about the game as-is; I know there are mods that allow it, which make use of cut dialogue that was obviously meant for post-ending gameplay.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kenny on Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:13 am

I kind of liked the finality of both endings - particularly in New Vegas, since your choices affect the epilogue a whole lot more.

Then again, more game play is definitely a plus and it'll motivate more people to finish the main story - something I still haven't done in Skyrim, despite two separate attempts of over 100 hours.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:11 am

Oh, it's not necessarily a bad thing. It would've been tough to properly account for all the possible outcomes in New Vegas with post-ending gameplay, not to mention take development time that they didn't have, as per the deadline they were given. But because of the open world/sandbox elements of the game, it would've been nice to keep exploring, going for 100% completion, finding all the secrets and whatnot after the main story concludes. As it stands, you've got to put off finishing the game until you've done everything that you want to do, and then you can't mess around with everything you've collected once you're done with the story.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Cpt(K) on Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:00 am

Dommy73 wrote:It doesn't happen too often, mainly because you need full 3rd person animations (and they have to be great) and put the camera in the eyes of the player's character.

And then this happens

Right. Well I'll be just as satisfied if they implement what the modding community has already. I mean - it can be accomplished right? I've seen similar footage for a Far Cry game (2 or 3 I don't remember), but because it's possible in New Vegas (PC) perhaps they may succeed in Fallout 4.
Cpt(K)

Postby ThePointForward on Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:40 am

I've seen some mods for skyrim with "true" first person view. They were broken at the time. Arma does it pretty well, but they also have quiet different looking mechanism (one that I would love to see in more games) and also the game itself has different goals - it's a simulator first.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:22 pm

As I mentioned in the Rocket League thread, Playfire are holding a Rocket League tournament with a Fallout 4 key going to the winner: https://forums.playfire.com/general-dis ... ead/124469
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:51 pm

Bethesda Reveals Fallout 4 DLC Plans, Mods Confirmed For PS4

Fallout 4 is just two months away, which will likely speed by faster than we realize. With release approaching, Bethesda has revealed some of its plans for post-launch support.

As you might expect, there will be DLC coming down the road. Add-ons will start to appear in early 2016, but details are sparse right now. A season pass will be available for $30, with a guarantee that it will save at least $10 for those who purchase it.

We’ve known that mod support is coming for PC, with curated selections coming to Xbox One after. We now know that PlayStation 4 users will be getting those same mods, but some time after they hit Xbox One. The creation kit won’t be available on PC until early in 2016, so don’t expect these to start flowing to console for a number of months.

I know DLC is a contentious issue, but with 3 and New Vegas, I felt that the base game offered plenty of value, and the DLC were all worthwhile expansions. I imagine it'll be the same for 4.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:45 am

Launch trailer, ahead of the 10th.

phpBB [video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5aJfebzkrM

Ended up getting the Season Pass for PC, since GMG had a special on it. They also emailed me my Steam code, pre-load available soon.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:46 am

I watched a few leaked gameplay videos, then ordered it from gmg along with the season pass.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:58 am

Pre-load is available now. I'll be all set for next week. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Cpt(K) on Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:35 pm

I yelled. Yes, after seeing what appeared to be a player "home" being defended from hostile npcs with friendly npcs. The deathclaw that was juked around looked terrifyingly awesome. (Y)
Cpt(K)

Postby PeacemanNOT on Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:47 am

There's a lot of Fallout 4 streams on Twitch (they get taken down fast though). A lot of spoilers, but if you don't care about spoilers I recommend checking it out.
Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:03 am

I do care about spoilers, so I might give them a miss.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby el badman on Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:12 am

Eagerly waiting for 10pm MT to start this thing. Not sure if it will beat The Witcher 3 this year for me, but I'm sure it will be endless tons of fun.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:10 pm

Picked up my PS4 copy with the Pip-Boy at a midnight launch, and finished pre-loading this morning. All set to dive in...I believe I'll go with the PC version first.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:34 am

Game is amazing. I like that they kept what worked in Fallout 3 and New Vegas in terms of the interface and whatnot, and everything they've changed feels like an improvement. It does feel a bit harder than the previous two games, but that's probably because I'm still finding my way around. Once you've played through 3 and NV a couple of times, you get pretty good at getting things done, even before levelling up a lot. It's certainly not a bad thing, as I'm enjoying the challenge and discovering the world. It's the game I've been waiting for.

Also, Conan.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby el badman on Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:11 am

For those playing it on PC, here's something that may be of interest:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout4_1.html

This basically shows how much the Temporal Anti-Aliasing (TAA) method used in the game launcher tends to blur most textures like crazy (which I hadn't realized until seeing these comparison screenshots), while admittedly doing a good job at getting rid of the jagged lines and shimmering. This article features a quick fix to that, allowing to keep TAA while making the textures look as sharp as they'd be without any AA.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:21 am

Good looking out. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby el badman on Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:45 pm

So I've played for about 3 hours now, and inasmuch as the addictive factor is quick to resurface, it's really, really hard to ignore the fact that the game basically looks like a nicely modded version of Fallout 3...There's obviously been a lot of criticism about this already ever since the first trailer came out, and I was hoping that the obsolete engine could once again be overlooked, but it's damn hard for me personally to start playing this after marvels of technology like The Witcher 3, Far Cry 4 or GTA V. We're in 2015, and a AAA game of this caliber still uses ridiculously low-res textures, antique shadow casting (especially indoors), mediocre physics, and definitely nothing remotely close to modern tessellation or other effects that lower-budget games have had for years now. Just...disappointing that Bethesda keeps doing this.
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:31 pm

Have to say, that's not a factor for me at all.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby zzcoolj21 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:37 am

Andrew wrote:Have to say, that's not a factor for me at all.

Yea Bethesda games have never really been about outstanding graphics. The main focus is the adventure.
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:49 am

And in my view, the graphics are passable, to say the absolute very least. I do get the criticisms, of course, but for me the lore and the setting, the story, the combat, the size of the world and all the things you can do in it, more than makes up for it not being the most technologically advanced game out there.

I'm really liking the mix of sci-fi and film noir with the usual post-apocalyptic setting.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:21 am

Clocked a few hours today and yesterday. If not for work and school, it's all I would be doing this week.

It's fun. Sure, the graphics are a bit dated and there are some bugs, but you know what you're getting with a Bethesda game. Once I got to Diamond City, I was absolutely hooked. A bigger, better version of Fallout 3 was all I wanted and that's exactly what I got!
Lamrock

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic