Fallout 4

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Lean on Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:38 am

GOOSEBUMPS I SAY.

EDIT: The radio beeping sound on thesurvivor2299.com is named V137-528ce4417e27d.mp3.

So we can speculate that Fallout 4 will have a place called Vault 137.

EDIT 2: That logo under the countdown timer is the Vault-Tec logo so yeah. New Fallout game in the horizon.

EDIT 3: So upon doing a recall because I played Fallout 2 back in 2002, the main character is referred to as The Chosen one. And The Chosen One is the grandchild of The Vault Dweller (the main character in original Fallout game). So yeah probably "The Survivor" is the probably the moniker of the character in this presumed Fallout game.

Fallout 2 is set in 2241. Fallout 3 is set in 2277. This one may pertain to year 2299. YEAH NERDGASM SPILLING ALL OVER MY TABLE. I gotta go get me a Nuka-Cola.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:42 am

Perhaps the PC will be someone who survived some terrible experiment at The Institute.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:19 am

uh oh - http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments ... 9_is_fake/

First off let me say that I enjoy ARGs. I'd love for this to be real. But it isn't. You may want to believe it is real because of confirmation bias. If you're already looking for evidence that Fallout 4 is coming, that is what you are going to see. It is reaffirming to believe that you have secret, insider information through this site. It makes you feel good to believe in this. But that doesn't make it true.
  1. The domain is registered through GoDaddy, which ZeniMax has never once used.
  2. WHOIS info can be faked by anyone. It simply isn't proof.
  3. The hosting company is in Poland. All of ZeniMax's sites are hosted in the US.
  4. The initial morse code had the date in a European format. Bethesda and Zenimax have always used US dates.
  5. The site was posted to Reddit before anywhere else, not the Fallout fansites that Bethesda supports.
  6. The moment that Reddit pointed out how the date format was wrong, the page was updated with a comment that the date format was European. Then later, the morse code audio was replaced with one with the American date. Are you going to tell me that ZeniMax as a global publisher doesn't understand how dates work?
  7. This is the most amateur hour ARG I've ever seen in my life. And I love finding ARGs and participating in them, so I've seen quite a few. Finding black text on a black background isn't master sleuthing.
  8. The coding style of the pages doesn't match the coding style of any Bethesda/ZeniMax site. Bethesda uses compressed HTML with no spaces.
  9. All Bethesda/ZeniMax websites seem to be coded by the same team. They have a consistent naming scheme for their files and directory structure.
  10. Every single Bethesda/ZeniMax site has Mozilla specific CSS. This site doesn't.
  11. And they run the same javascript on every one of their sites.
Code: Select all
<script>
    var safesites = ["arkane-studios.com","bethblog.com","bethsoft.com","brinkthegame.com","dishonored.com","elderscrolls.com","elderscrollsonline.com","huntedthegame.com","idsoftware.com","mudduckgames.com","quakecon.org","rage.com","roguewarrior.com","vir2l.com","wolfenstein.com","zenimax.com","zenimaxonline.com","creationkit.com","http:\/\/bethsoft.com\/en-us","bsw_cms_asset"];
</script>
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:54 am

First Derrick Rose's injury, and now this. :(

Still, Bethesda trademarking the game in Europe seems like a positive sign.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby el badman on Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:26 am

Bursting our bubble indeed, but I'm still pretty confident Bethesda might be planning on making such a game.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Lamrock on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:08 am

I wish they'd have Obsidian make Fallout with their engine. New Vegas was maybe less polished but I liked how it had actual decision making and was true to the older games.

This is definitely a fake but I'd be surprised if we didn't see a next-gen Fallout by 2015 or so. It's just too popular.
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:07 am

With all the patches, New Vegas probably ended up just a polished as Fallout 3.

I think Fallout 3 was truer to the old games than it's often given credit for, but there's no reason that Fallout 4 can't have the good stuff that New Vegas had, just because Bethesda is developing it. After all, New Vegas had something an advantage over Fallout 3 in that it had Fallout 3 to work from. I'd be surprised - and certainly disappointed - if Fallout 4 didn't borrow popular features and concepts from New Vegas.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:50 am

The Vault are covering all the (possibly fake) teasers in their news section.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:52 am

JaoSming wrote:uh oh - http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments ... 9_is_fake/

First off let me say that I enjoy ARGs. I'd love for this to be real. But it isn't. You may want to believe it is real because of confirmation bias. If you're already looking for evidence that Fallout 4 is coming, that is what you are going to see. It is reaffirming to believe that you have secret, insider information through this site. It makes you feel good to believe in this. But that doesn't make it true.
  1. The domain is registered through GoDaddy, which ZeniMax has never once used.
  2. WHOIS info can be faked by anyone. It simply isn't proof.
  3. The hosting company is in Poland. All of ZeniMax's sites are hosted in the US.
  4. The initial morse code had the date in a European format. Bethesda and Zenimax have always used US dates.
  5. The site was posted to Reddit before anywhere else, not the Fallout fansites that Bethesda supports.
  6. The moment that Reddit pointed out how the date format was wrong, the page was updated with a comment that the date format was European. Then later, the morse code audio was replaced with one with the American date. Are you going to tell me that ZeniMax as a global publisher doesn't understand how dates work?
  7. This is the most amateur hour ARG I've ever seen in my life. And I love finding ARGs and participating in them, so I've seen quite a few. Finding black text on a black background isn't master sleuthing.
  8. The coding style of the pages doesn't match the coding style of any Bethesda/ZeniMax site. Bethesda uses compressed HTML with no spaces.
  9. All Bethesda/ZeniMax websites seem to be coded by the same team. They have a consistent naming scheme for their files and directory structure.
  10. Every single Bethesda/ZeniMax site has Mozilla specific CSS. This site doesn't.
  11. And they run the same javascript on every one of their sites.
Code: Select all
<script>
    var safesites = ["arkane-studios.com","bethblog.com","bethsoft.com","brinkthegame.com","dishonored.com","elderscrolls.com","elderscrollsonline.com","huntedthegame.com","idsoftware.com","mudduckgames.com","quakecon.org","rage.com","roguewarrior.com","vir2l.com","wolfenstein.com","zenimax.com","zenimaxonline.com","creationkit.com","http:\/\/bethsoft.com\/en-us","bsw_cms_asset"];
</script>

...and there goes my nerdgasm. :(
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:12 pm

The Fallout 4 European trademark is a hoax

That's a shame. Still, it's got to happen at some point.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:59 am

And there you have it:
http://fallout.gamepedia.com/Blog:News/ ... was_a_hoax

After nearly a month of the Fallout fan base buzzing about with rumors about a new Fallout game from a mysterious web address, The Survivor 2299 has taken a turn, likely to throw the fan base – redditors especially – into a riotous uproar.

On December 6, 2013, five days before the countdown was scheduled to end, the site initially produced a YouTube video to Rick Astely's "Never Gonna Give You Up", but was soon updated to a non-cryptic "THAT'S IT TUNNEL SNAKES" and a YouTube remix of Butch DeLoria's catchphrase, "Tunnel Snakes rule!" Soon after, the website linked to another YouTube video; this time, a single violin, dismally lamenting. The site also thanks r/Fallout, "the most amazing community on reddit."
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:32 am

DAMN IT.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:40 pm

Tunnel Snakes rule so hard.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:48 pm

Lean wrote:DAMN IT.

On the plus side, they've indicated that they intend on making more Fallout games "at some point". Like I said before, it's only a matter of time, though I'm getting a little impatient to hear them announce the next one. ;)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:10 am

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:28 pm

I think that teaser site did mention that Fallout 4 is in Massachussetts.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Sauru on Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:56 pm

set is boston? SOLD!
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:50 pm

That's the rumour going around, from the time of the article that I linked to in the first post.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu May 14, 2015 10:19 am

Fallout 4: Is it happening?

Vault dwellers, it's time to don your excursion gear, for something has happened that actually does have a shred of credibility to it. As VideoGamer reports, a CG artist tied to Guillermo Del Toro's Mirada Studios listed Fallout 4 on their profile on LinkedIn. The person in question has wrote that he has worked on a cinematic trailer for the game.

Compared to the rest of the rumors and factoids circulating over the past few years, this one actually comes from a credible source. And seems to be confirmed, as Polygon reports:

We received an email from Mirada Studios demanding we pull this story. A representative cited inaccuracies, but also confirmed the story was breaking a non-disclosure agreement. As nobody at Destructoid signed an NDA, we're assuming that confirms somebody else broke NDA. I wonder who might be in trouble.

Fallout 4: It is likely happening. We'll see.

Still no confirmation, but probably the most encouraging thing so far.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Cpt(K) on Sat May 16, 2015 1:43 am

Agreed. Let's hope while all this time has gone by - the developers have taken notes from the efforts of the PC modding community, which is to say - implement everything!
Cpt(K)

Postby Andrew on Sat May 16, 2015 10:03 am

Fallout 3 and New Vegas both had official editors, so I'm guessing there's a good chance 4 would be moddable as well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kevin on Mon May 18, 2015 7:02 am

I hope it won't get cancelled... like Silent Hills.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Andrew on Mon May 18, 2015 10:16 am

No reason to think that at this juncture.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Cpt(K) on Tue May 19, 2015 12:44 pm

Kevin wrote:I hope it won't get cancelled... like Silent Hills Command & Conquer Generals 2.

I know your pain. I'm hoping there will be no invisible walls - terrain that can be traversed in a number of ways, and hopefully with operable vehicles of some kind. "Open-world" has never been so ambiguous . . .
Cpt(K)

Postby Andrew on Tue May 19, 2015 1:57 pm

There have been times wandering the Capital and Mojave Wastelands that I've thought a vehicle would come in handy. There's the precedent of the Highwayman in Fallout 2, too. That said, I'm also fine with the idea of traversing the map on foot, given the amount of ruins and whatnot.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic