Dear LiveJournal,

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Dear LiveJournal,

Postby Oznogrd on Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:44 am

Qballer wrote:
Oznogrd wrote:Lol on you guys having to pay for your own AP exams. Our school paid for ours. I ended up with 16 credits just from 5's in psych and Bio. Got a 3 on both english's and statistics which got me jack shit. My sister ended up with 37 credits though with all of hers, basically a full years worth of credit

that's because we had like 60+ kids in the AP program and it's like 60 bucks a test and there are 9 or 10 different AP classes so yeah that's a lot of money

yeah what you get from your college depends on the school, i actually got more credits than you and you got 5s :shock:

We had just as many and it was like 90 a pop. Just depends on the district.

And yeah, Illinois didnt take any 3s except for calculus which i dropped.
Oznogrd
Gummy bears are stupid and delicious!

Postby Axel The Great on Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:20 am

Lean wrote: :shifty: I really don't get why would the JCreator be generating some other folder after compiling.

Got it fixed! I was making a game called Tank Wars, and all I needed to do was add "package TankWars" at the top of the class. That's why it couldn't access Sprite. Anyways, thanks for your help and interest. :)
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby [Q] on Thu May 05, 2011 7:31 am

went to the shooting range yesterday. i've never fired a bb gun, painball gun, or real gun in my life so it was pretty fun for me, except i didnt get to shoot as much as i wanted to plus it was expensive as hell. it cost $37 each for 3 people to shoot 2 different guns and 3 bags of ammo (25 bullets in a bag)

got to shoot a SIG P226, Kimber 1911, Springfield XD-40, HK USP, and a Glock 17. definitely not a fan of the double action guns
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby rise on Thu May 05, 2011 7:56 am

One AP exam done, one more to go. :D
rise
But here, at the top of the world, where I raise my hands and I clench my fists...
Contributor

Postby Axel The Great on Thu May 05, 2011 9:44 am

^Was it as difficult as you feared it would be?

Dear LiveJournal,

I take my first SAT this Saturday. I don't know how I'll endure 3+ hours of such a tedious and difficult test. Lord help me. :miserable:
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby Oznogrd on Thu May 05, 2011 11:00 am

Axel. wrote:I take my first SAT this Saturday. I don't know how I'll endure 3+ hours of such a tedious and difficult test. Lord help me. :miserable:

Quit your bitchin. You don't have analogies and sections that have nothing to do with any thing...oh wait thats the whole test...and all standardized tests...never mind
Oznogrd

Postby Axel The Great on Thu May 05, 2011 11:22 am

It's not the content that's inside the SAT I'm worried about; I've got an SAT study guide that I've looked over. I've just never had the pressure of being timed in a standardized test that takes almost four hours to complete, sounds really tedious. Good thing is that I know what I'll be up against, I guess.
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby shadowgrin on Thu May 05, 2011 11:27 am

Oznogrd wrote:analogies and sections that have nothing to do with any thing...oh wait thats the whole test...and all standardized tests...

That's why I'm good at standardized tests, I'm good at nothing. :rimshot:
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby deihatein on Thu May 05, 2011 11:47 am

Dear LiveJournal

Insomnia is getting to me. Damn it.
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby benji on Thu May 05, 2011 11:50 am

Axel. wrote:I've just never had the pressure of being timed in a standardized test that takes almost four hours to complete, sounds really tedious.

Of course it is, that's the point.

Does the SAT still have writing on it? The only problems I have is handwriting on tests, my hand cramps after like 20 minutes and everything falls apart.

Thank Harding grad school is all just typing papers instead. :cool:
benji

Postby [Q] on Thu May 05, 2011 12:00 pm

i never put too much pressure on myself for those tests, i figured that i'd get the score i deserved. i got a 1230 on the old SAT scoring (out of 1600) which i guess wasn't too bad. didn't study much. my advice is to not worry about it, plus you will have plenty of time. they won't ever call time before you are done answering all the questions. sometimes i did go back after i was finished and look over the ones i weren't too sure about.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Thu May 05, 2011 12:21 pm

Axel. wrote:It's not the content that's inside the SAT I'm worried about...I've just never had the pressure of being timed in a standardized test that takes almost four hours to complete, sounds really tedious.

Answer it faster?
I took an exam (somewhat like the SAT in this country, dunno what's it's called now since they keep changing the acronyms or if it even exists now) 2 hours late, which is supposed to be 4 hours (8am - 12pm).
Got 89% even if I guessed most of the math part because I ran out of time.
So don't sweat it. Try to estimate how many minutes/seconds you're going to allot on a question based on the total number of items. Move on to the next question if you used up your alloted time (or double it) for that item.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Oznogrd on Thu May 05, 2011 12:42 pm

Yeah that whole guessing thing fucks you on the SAT (or it did when i was in school). You lose points for wrong answers. I was always brought up to always guess and had to train it out of me to get a 1350 on the old SAT (out of 1600 like Q)
Oznogrd

Postby shadowgrin on Thu May 05, 2011 1:01 pm

The 'right minus wrong' exam type. I like taking those kinds of exams, it either shows you prepared well or have balls for guessing.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Lean on Thu May 05, 2011 3:39 pm

Reading your recent posts and on the steam thread makes me want to forget that I was once a teacher. :shifty:
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Thu May 05, 2011 4:06 pm

The grammar part? I have nothing against bad grammar but that fool was so insistent and hard-headed that she wanted all the reports to have the same wording in presenting the conclusion. Same words. All reports. Same retarded grammar and words.

I have nothing against strict teachers either if they can back it up with the quality of their teaching or at least decent with it, or 'not so learned' teachers if they acknowledge their limitations and not force their students in something that the teacher himself doesn't know.

If a teacher constantly shoves her credentials in the face of her students and forces the students to do what she requires no matter how absurd it is with justification of it based only on said credentials, then I think it's fair to call it retarded.

I also had a professor who collects pictures of all his students and places them in an album. He admitted it as he was collecting the pics. Weird, imo.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Lean on Thu May 05, 2011 4:25 pm

shadowgrin wrote:I also had a professor who collects pictures of all his students and places them in an album. He admitted it as he was collecting the pics. Weird, imo.

I plead 'not guilty'
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Axel The Great on Fri May 06, 2011 7:05 am

benji wrote:Does the SAT still have writing on it? The only problems I have is handwriting on tests, my hand cramps after like 20 minutes and everything falls apart.

Yeah, it still does. The study guide I have has some examples that were written in past SAT's over a certain topic. That certain topic I think has something to do with doing things in a variety of ways? Can't remember too clearly. Writing part does concern me though, but it's not the cramp part I'm worried about.
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby rise on Fri May 06, 2011 7:38 am

Axel. wrote:^Was it as difficult as you feared it would be?
By the way, the AP Calculus was a lot easier than I expected. 'Course I was bracing myself for the worst exam I'd ever meet, but thinking back, my teacher's and tutor's practice problems were quite a bit harder than the exam. Overall, I'm happy with the way things went and hope that Physics will be just as good. :)
Axel. wrote:
Dear LiveJournal,

I take my first SAT this Saturday. I don't know how I'll endure 3+ hours of such a tedious and difficult test. Lord help me. :miserable:

If you know your algebra and you know how to read and write, it's not hard. Just keep your cool, and even if you don't finish every section on time, it's alright. I basically guessed (seriously, like randomly filling in bubbles) on the equivalent of a full reading section due to me being a really slow reader and having ADD moments during those sections, and I still made a 600 on the reading section. You shouldn't stress out- the SAT is overrated, it's actually easy if you're reasonably smart.

The essay is only 25 minutes and no one's expecting more than a couple of paragraphs. Just go over your main points and back them up with a few details and you're good. Also the grammar sections are a good chance to bring up your total writing score. You could make a 6 out of 12 on the essay and still get a 600 without a problem. I've made a 7 essay and got a 710 (on my 4th try :geek: )

If you're concerned about the length, don't worry. I'm sure you've had tests in back-to-back classes on regular school days. It's nothing worse than that. (btw I've had 4 back-to-back tests with a 20-min lunch break once- turrible day). Also, bring a snack (which you can eat during breaks) that will keep you awake and alert during the test. Works wonders. Good luck! :D
rise
But here, at the top of the world, where I raise my hands and I clench my fists...
Contributor

Postby Axel The Great on Fri May 06, 2011 7:42 am

Well then, I guess there's not much to worry about. What kind of snack would you recommend bringing?
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby shadowgrin on Fri May 06, 2011 7:47 am

Geez Axel, are you that tense and anxious about the exam that you even want advice on snack choices?

z02 wrote:Good luck! :D

Luck is for the weak.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby [Q] on Fri May 06, 2011 10:25 am

bring something that'll stink up the room

and z02, your FOURTH try?? you must love giving your money away. i took it a second time "just to be sure" i did the best i could, and only got 10 points more than the 1st time
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Axel The Great on Fri May 06, 2011 11:14 am

shadowgrin wrote:Geez Axel, are you that tense and anxious about the exam that you even want advice on snack choices?

It's not tension or anxiety anymore. Seeing as how picky standardized testing systems can be, having a certain type of snack to bring sounds like something they'd have regulations for as well. If there's one thing I hate, it's to be told I can't eat something I'm looking forward to eating.
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby Oznogrd on Fri May 06, 2011 1:46 pm

Axel. wrote:
shadowgrin wrote:Geez Axel, are you that tense and anxious about the exam that you even want advice on snack choices?

It's not tension or anxiety anymore. Seeing as how picky standardized testing systems can be, having a certain type of snack to bring sounds like something they'd have regulations for as well. If there's one thing I hate, it's to be told I can't eat something I'm looking forward to eating.

You could always just you know not be like "MR TESTER MAN IM EATING A BANNED FOOD"

Grow some balls. Take in a full indian dinner. or something with really distinct smells as suggested.
Oznogrd

Postby Dan's Brain on Fri May 06, 2011 4:38 pm

shadowgrin wrote:
I also had a professor who collects pictures of all his students and places them in an album. He admitted it as he was collecting the pics. Weird, imo.

Possibly a way to remember names? Or at least, that could be his cover story.

In any case, it's not that uncommon. I'm doing a secondary teacher's degree at the moment and they actually suggested to us that we do that.
Dan's Brain
My Manwich!

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic