Generic TV Thread

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Generic TV Thread

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:43 pm

Community this season feels empty & low-budget. Pierce was my favorite character, and I liked Troy as well. Sure Jeff Winger is cool and all, but I don't think that will be enough. Most likely why this season will be the last for Community. Given the ratings and stuff.

I watch The Blacklist. Though, I can't stand or take Reddington seriously, I think that's how the writers wanted it. And like every other show in the US, FBI here stands for Fucking Bunch of Idiots as well. If it was somebody else who portrayed Reddington, this should would have been awesome. Dembe is a motherfucking cracker :D

I'm also watching Intelligence. Mainly because it has Josh Holloway. But the show so far has been disappointing. Predictable and a whole lot of 90s vibe to it. Most likely will get cancelled.

It's funniest time of the year for TV though. Archer, Psych, B99, House of Lies, Episodes(I still don't know how to feel about this season yet), Modern Family-- some of the greatest comedies all in the same time.

But so far, best new show of the year would be Chicago P.D. for me. And I've watched all three episodes of Sherlock, which were hugely disappointing. Only reason I will watch the Sherlock series 4 will be because of the last scene in the last episode

And anybody watched the new HBO show True Detective? People went nuts about it even before it aired. But that was mainly because of Alexandra Daddari0.
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby benji on Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:48 pm

I've been all over the place and not as kept up as normal so I can't give you guys the massive dump you usually anticipate with glee. I keep forgetting Bar Rescue has dumped out 30 episodes or something insane.

Finished and I finished:
Wilfred (FX - 3rd) - A ... Incredible season, especially the latter half. Continues with the best finales in the business. Next season has been announced as the last.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FXX - 9th) - A ... Two in a row, it's back.
The League* (FXX - 5th) - B ... I have two episodes left, but this was a little perk up after last season.
Burn Notice (USA - 7th) - C ... God awful pacing, a let down of a final villain, worse CGI explosions, and basically no suspense. Why did you not have a plan Nix?
Suits (USA - 3rd) - B ... Drag things out more please, no seriously. Wait, don't, I'm being sarcastic!
White Collar (USA - 5th) - A ... Finally, a great villain for this series, more serialization, just why you gotta shove Peter and Elizabeth drama in my face? A for Affort. I imagine this would have been much better if watched over the course of like a month instead of however many it was.
Covert Affairs (USA - 4th) - A ... God tier season. Starting the entire season in medias res was brilliant. Ending didn't seem satisfactory until you think about it a little.
*Rafi and Dirty Randy's Adventure (FXX - 1st) - AAA+++ ... A once in a lifetime experience.

Still airing:
Castle (ABC - 6th) - B ... The workhorse.
Parks and Recreation (NBC - 6th) - A ... Can't stop, won't stop.
Community (NBC - 5th) - A ... Buzz Hickey has saved the series. Plus DUNCAN IS BACK! This might be the best season of the show if it maintains itself. The third episode (a-s-s-c-r-a-c-k bandit) was a masterpiece. Greatest ending in galactic history.
Episodes (Showtime - 3rd) - A ... This would have been a B before Castor's masturbation plot.
Psych (USA - 8th) - B ... Final season, but up and down, the premiere was great.
Cougar Town (TBS - 5th) - B ... I liked the episode where they drank wine.
The Blacklist (NBC - 1st) - B ... An A for James Spader dominating every scene in world history, a B for the overarching plot, a C for the weekly plots, a D for Megan Boone's acting, a F for Megan Boone's wig. An A for every single one of Reddington's sidekicks and associates.
Rake (NBC - 1st) - B ... Will watch the Aussie series when this gets cancelled in a few weeks. But I like it, Greg Kinnear is well done.
benji

Postby [Q] on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:41 am

great season of White Collar. Best one since the first season for sure.

shameless has been solid so far despite the fact that all of the characters have their own stories going on and they don't seem to overlap
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:42 pm

benji gave Suits(the most consistent and smart show in TV history) a "B". He just lost his awesomeness factor. Now the only good thing about him is the "how you paint fruit" liner.

Suits season 3 will return on March 6th.
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby Mandich on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:09 pm

SoF'nAwesome wrote:benji gave Suits(the most consistent and smart show in TV history) a "B". He just lost his awesomeness factor. Now the only good thing about him is the "how you paint fruit" liner.

I'm surprised you think it deserves an A.
Mandich
Muffin Button

Postby bigh0rt on Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:27 am

SoF'nAwesome wrote:Decent sitcoms are hard to find these days. Even Modern Family has went downhill.

It's tough, when a show situates so much around children, and the children start to grow up. Manny's entire character was cute when he was a rolly little kid, but it would just be creepy at this point. Same with Luke. I didn't catch much of the most recent season of MF; I have it on my DVR. But the first few episodes that I did watch were, as you said, definitely trending downward.

I'm thinking of giving Black Sails on Starz a look. They're 1 or 2 episodes in, I believe. It looked like it had some potential, in trailers.

Otherwise, I basically watch The Big Bang Theory because my fiance likes it (and it consequently became one of "our" shows, which those of you who don't know yet, is a thing when you get married. I'm just glad it's not the Kardashians...). I'm probably 3 episodes from finishing the end of Season 1 of The Following (though my thought is, if I really wanted to watch the show, I would have finished those 3 episodes by now, right?). I watch American Horror Story, but am a few episodes behind. I really liked Season 1, didn't see a single episode of Season 2, but have found Season 3 entertaining thus far. I watch The League, which had a good, funny season this past one. The More Rafi and Dirty Randy, the better. The only other show I watch regularly and am fully up to date on is The Walking Dead, which I know a lot of people are critical of, but I find very enjoyable to watch. It also helps that my fiance is really into it, and that we can watch it together.

Is this what your 30s is all about? Trying to watch shows that both you and your spouse can tolerate enough to watch together?
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby el badman on Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:28 am

bigh0rt wrote:I watch American Horror Story, but am a few episodes behind. I really liked Season 1, didn't see a single episode of Season 2, but have found Season 3 entertaining thus far.

First season was awesome (except for the last couple of episodes), and the second season was actually quite good, although kind of all over the place, but season 3 was a step back for me. It certainly had some crazy ass unexpectedly shocking moments (and some great performances), but overall the story wasn't anything to write home about, and I thought it relied way too much on the same gimmicks and camera effects/angles over and over again.
bigh0rt wrote:The only other show I watch regularly and am fully up to date on is The Walking Dead, which I know a lot of people are critical of, but I find very enjoyable to watch. It also helps that my fiance is really into it, and that we can watch it together.

Up to speed with it too and I'm a huge fan of TWD. I can see why some people wouldn't dig it that much, and it's certainly had its ups and downs, but it's the still the most entertaining and well made show out there as far as I'm concerned.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby [Q] on Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:55 am

TWD is back this weekend, but honestly it hasn't lived up to the big expectations after an epic season 1
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:40 pm

bigh0rt wrote:It's tough, when a show situates so much around children, and the children start to grow up. Manny's entire character was cute when he was a rolly little kid, but it would just be creepy at this point. Same with Luke. I didn't catch much of the most recent season of MF; I have it on my DVR. But the first few episodes that I did watch were, as you said, definitely trending downward.

I'm thinking of giving Black Sails on Starz a look. They're 1 or 2 episodes in, I believe. It looked like it had some potential, in trailers.

Otherwise, I basically watch The Big Bang Theory because my fiance likes it (and it consequently became one of "our" shows, which those of you who don't know yet, is a thing when you get married. I'm just glad it's not the Kardashians...). I'm probably 3 episodes from finishing the end of Season 1 of The Following (though my thought is, if I really wanted to watch the show, I would have finished those 3 episodes by now, right?). I watch American Horror Story, but am a few episodes behind. I really liked Season 1, didn't see a single episode of Season 2, but have found Season 3 entertaining thus far. I watch The League, which had a good, funny season this past one. The More Rafi and Dirty Randy, the better. The only other show I watch regularly and am fully up to date on is The Walking Dead, which I know a lot of people are critical of, but I find very enjoyable to watch. It also helps that my fiance is really into it, and that we can watch it together.

Modern Family had a good run. 4 great seasons. Most shows(like Community) don't even have that. When we look back, I guess Seinfeld was the most consistent sitcom in history.

Black Sails is awesome. The story is not that dark as you'd expect with the tag of "pirates", but it's a great show nonetheless. You might get a bit lost midway, but after the whole episode it will make sense.

The Following is a like a compilation of predictable twists & flawed characters. I quit after 5-6 episodes. And I just couldn't stand the antagonist. He over-reacted the shit out of the show.

I didn't watch American Horror Story after its pilot. I just felt that there were a lot of unnecessary scenes(a case for most HBO shows) and the story was not that intriguing.

I don't watch The League. Might check it out. But I have a lot of ongoing and unfinished shows as it is.

TWD, has over the years become the most mundane show on TV. Sooo much drama. The show was supposed to be about zombies, not Rick's son messing with his hairstyle and secretly/not so secretly using a gun and getting lectured over and over.

For you and your future Mrs, I would recommend HBO's True Detective. Certainly a mind-boggler and entertaining throughout the whole episode type of show. Though, you might find yourselves in an awkward position someway through the second episode.

Is this what your 30s is all about? Trying to watch shows that both you and your spouse can tolerate enough to watch together?

Dear God I hope not. Come on man, you are scaring me to age :lol:

Qballer wrote:TWD is back this weekend, but honestly it hasn't lived up to the big expectations after an epic season 1

To me the TWD was great only in its first 3 episodes. After that, I was like where are the freaking zombies? Please don't make it a full drama, keep some action there as well.
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby benji on Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:27 pm

SoF'nAwesome wrote:benji gave Suits(the most consistent and smart show in TV history) a "B". He just lost his awesomeness factor. Now the only good thing about him is the "how you paint fruit" liner.

Maybe if we're talking about season two. But season three has had an awful client and lousy Harvey and Mike plots. Louis can only carry the show so much.

Covert Affairs has firmly established itself as the definitive USA show now airing and will hold that title until season five starts.

And lest there be any haterade accusations, Jae and others and this thread can attest to my Suits pimpin.

Season scores from this very thread:
Covert Affairs: C (1st), D (2nd), A (3rd), A (4th) (should be A+ because of the second leap over season three but alas the system doesn't allow it)
Suits: A (1st), A (2nd), B (3rd)

I forgot it was just the two-thirds season break. So it has time to get an A back.
benji

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:33 pm

Yes, there was a bit too much drama this season. But this season also had the best character of Suits: Tanner! And the "time to call your mother" liner was just the icing.

And I feel the casting could have been better in some cases as well.
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby cyanide on Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:33 am

SoF'nAwesome wrote:But so far, best new show of the year would be Chicago P.D. for me. And I've watched all three episodes of Sherlock, which were hugely disappointing.

Why did you find it disappointing? I thought the latest season was fantastic.
if you were killed tomorrow, i WOULDNT GO 2 UR FUNERAL CUZ ID B N JAIL 4 KILLIN THE MOTHA FUCKER THAT KILLED U!
......|..___________________, ,
....../ `---______----|]
...../==o;;;;;;;;______.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
.//___//
WE TRUE HOMIES
WE RIDE TOGETHER
WE DIE TOGETHER
cyanide
Dat steatopygous

Postby [Q] on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:19 am

not surprised, a painfully slow TWD. after watching that, got into a really intense episode of Shameless (Y) i dunno why i even bother with TWD :?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby bigh0rt on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:35 am

Qballer wrote:not surprised, a painfully slow TWD. after watching that, got into a really intense episode of Shameless (Y) i dunno why i even bother with TWD :?

I need so much less Carl. More Michonne and Daryl.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:17 pm

GLENN & MAGGIE

no more carrrrrrrrrrrlll plz
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:17 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Qballer wrote:not surprised, a painfully slow TWD. i dunno why i even bother with TWD :?

I need so much less Carl. More Michonne and Daryl.

Our needs stay the secondary objective. They just have to make it mundane, that's the primary objective. And I don't know what they expect from the audience with the Carl character. Isn't that shit a bit too cheesy for grown people?

This game is getting old, they only make good episodes before the season goes into break or if it's the season finale.

cyanide wrote:Why did you find it disappointing? I thought the latest season was fantastic.

It was less Sherlock and more Watson drama. At times(especially 2nd episode), it just became unbearable. Plain silliness. And the main antagonist this season was just a creppy dude who is basically shit when you compare him to the God Moriarty. I just wish there was more crime solving and adventures this series. But no, they just had to focus and Sherlock and Watson bro-bonding. This whole season had a 50s Hollywood vibe, didn't feel the modern Sherlock like the previous two series'. Best episode would be the last one of Series 2, worst would be all three in this Series and the 2nd one from Series 2. All the other were marvelous. I hear that it's not yet confirmed if Moriarty will return to Series 4 or not, that made me a bit sad.

Which Series/episode was your favorite?
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby [Q] on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:32 pm

SoF'nAwesome wrote:This game is getting old, they only make good episodes before the season goes into break or if it's the season finale.

yup, and everything else is filler. (N)

In other news, 47 year old Clifford Robinson aka "Uncle Cliff" will be on the upcoming season of Survivor :lol:
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Oznogrd on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:10 am

Girlfriend has me addicted to Supernatural. Still in season 3..but its a decent watch if you like that kind of stuff. Lots of small subtle references like the simpsons and other nerdery.
Oznogrd
Gummy bears are stupid and delicious!

Postby [Q] on Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:48 am

just got into true detective. after episode 1, there's enough mystery to make me wanna keep watching

also, finally some purpose on TWD. significantly better episode this week.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:23 pm

Yep. The episode last week was good as well. A little early, but building up to the finale I guess.
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby HeatThreePeat on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:44 pm

as crazy as it is, I have been watching a shit ton of the big bang theory lately, not sure what it is, but that show just has a way of entertaining me...maybe it's because i'm a nerd haha...

I tried to get into walking dead and breaking bad, but I couldn't get past the first episode...maybe i'll give it another shot with other episodes...

I've also heard a good amount about Sherlock, but again, I haven't seen any of it...anyone else watch this show? how is it?
“This fall, I'm going to take my talents to South Beach and join the Miami Heat. I feel like this is going to be the best opportunity to win, and not just this season, but in multiple years." -- LeBron James
HeatThreePeat

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:36 pm

The first two series' of Sherlock is as fine as TV gets. The third one is "meh", it's not as universally awesome as the first two. It's more "to each their own".

But anybody who watches TV, should give this series a go.
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:13 pm

HeatThreePeat wrote:as crazy as it is, I have been watching a shit ton of the big bang theory lately, not sure what it is, but that show just has a way of entertaining me...maybe it's because i'm a nerd haha...

It doesn't strike me as being crazy, but then I am a fan of the show.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:03 pm

i dont find that show funny at all, it's like seinfeld where at times i just dont get what's so funny
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:49 pm

With the amount it gets played here, the Big Bang Theory has basically become background noise for me. It's become one of those shows I watch when everything else on TV seems questionable (MKR, Everybody Loves Raymond, Home and Away just to name a few). Although I find myself watching Cops a lot more at that particular time slot. San Bernardino turns up a lot in that show and it's kind of fun spotting all the places I have been :lol:

HeatThreePeat wrote:I tried to get into breaking bad, but I couldn't get past the first episode...maybe i'll give it another shot with other episodes...

Keep watching. It's definitely worth it.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic