Fallout: New Vegas

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Fallout: New Vegas

Postby el badman on Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:16 pm

Yeah I found it pretty tough too but I guess it makes sense that you can't please everyone.
El Badmanator IV: Intel i7-7700K @4.2GHz, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB; Dell 2K 27"Monitor w/G-Sync @144Hz; Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; OCZ Vertex4 256GB SSD; ASUS Prime Z270-A mobo; Corsair Vengeance @2400MHz 16GB DDR4 RAM; Thermaltake 750W PSU; Razer DeathAdder Chroma gaming mouse; Gigabyte Aivia Osmium mechanical keyboard; Smilodon Dirk-Tooth case; Creative 5.1 Surround sound; Nvidia 3D Vision 2 Kit; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:33 pm

Not with the way factions are implemented in this game, at any rate. It certainly encourages some staggered save points and repeated playthroughs, though.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby Pdub on Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:53 am

Anybody think New Vegas was much harder than Fallout 3? It seems there aren't as many epic weapons that I can use to dominate.

I'll have to try three different ways to finish.
Pdub
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:20 am

I agree, there are some deceptively deadly mutated creatures once you wander off the path and with damage threshold back in the game, guns aren't quite as effective as in Fallout 3. Grim Reaper's Sprint also only adds 20 Action Points instead of restoring all Action Points so it's harder to clear a room with VATS and with food healing over time instead of instantly, you've got to rely a lot more on Stimpaks in the middle of a firefight. All of that definitely makes it a more challenging game.
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby el badman on Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:21 am

I would agree that it seems a bit harder than F3, but at high levels, weapons like the Gauss rifle or the Anti-material rifle are still pretty damn lethal...
Downloading the huge patch thru Steam right now, hopefully it won't mess up my settings.
El Badmanator IV: Intel i7-7700K @4.2GHz, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB; Dell 2K 27"Monitor w/G-Sync @144Hz; Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; OCZ Vertex4 256GB SSD; ASUS Prime Z270-A mobo; Corsair Vengeance @2400MHz 16GB DDR4 RAM; Thermaltake 750W PSU; Razer DeathAdder Chroma gaming mouse; Gigabyte Aivia Osmium mechanical keyboard; Smilodon Dirk-Tooth case; Creative 5.1 Surround sound; Nvidia 3D Vision 2 Kit; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:29 am

Fair amount of changes in the latest update. Full list here.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby Lean on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:59 am

Just started mine and added in the Fellout visual mod. Anything I should be aware about (without spoiling plots)?
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:07 am

It's a good idea to keep some staggered save points so you can go back and take the different forks in the road without starting a brand new game. Be wary about straying off the roads as there are some pretty nasty mutated creatures in New Vegas, such as the Cazadors.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby Lean on Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:44 am

Heard of it, seen my brother's playthrough. He told me that Cass is Cassidy's (a Fallout 2 companion) daughter.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Pdub on Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:23 pm

Take the right path and do her.
Pdub
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:59 pm

Lean wrote:Heard of it, seen my brother's playthrough. He told me that Cass is Cassidy's (a Fallout 2 companion) daughter.

That she is. She's my companion of choice too as she's pretty handy in a firefight.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:23 pm

Pdub wrote:Take the right path and do her.

Pdub shares his wisdom. :bowdown2:
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:33 pm

I went ahead and finished the game for the first time after taking a break for a while, opting for the NCR ending. Has anyone managed to defeat Lanius in combat? I tried a couple of times before I ended up going the speech challenge route. All in all the ending was much more detailed than Fallout 3 thanks to all the factions and the different paths you can take with the side quests and the Wild Card quests, which I definitely liked. (Y)

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby Pdub on Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:47 pm

I hated the ending for the path I chose. I didn't realize how my actions would have affected certain factions' futures in such a negative way. I could not defeat Lanius I'm combat but I got really close.I could have done it but got frustrated and just did the speech option. I saw a video of someone completely destroying him with melee and vats. I mean he was untouched. Just power fist him to death.
Pdub
Administrator
Administrator

Postby el badman on Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:10 am

Pdub wrote:I hated the ending for the path I chose.

Same here. I was playing with good karma during the whole playthrough, but my actions eventually made me become Mr House's bitch. I had a great relation with NCR but I eventually betrayed them by allowing Mr House to organize his securitron army. Not sure how I didn't that coming, I guess I was still hoping for a different "good guy" kind of ending.
That's why I'm doing a second playthrough being a prick to pretty much everyone this time around, and I'll see if it's possible to become New Vegas' new tyrant at the end...
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Pdub on Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:58 am

and I'll see if it's possible to become New Vegas' new tyrant at the end...

That's the ending I am talking about.
Pdub
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:04 am

I'm guessing that's the Yes Man/Independent path. That'll be the one I try next.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:51 am

Tried the Yes Man/Independent ending. I'd say it's a better ending for Vegas and a fair few of the factions, though true to the Fallout spirit it isn't perfect. The fact that it mentions the end of Mr House's tyranny makes it a little strange that you get negative karma for killing him, I guess you're supposed to leave him to die within a year instead of putting him out of his misery once you open his life support chamber.

In that ending, I also managed to defeat Lanius in combat with the help of Cass, Cannibal Johnson, a stealth boy and the anti-materiel rifle.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:09 pm

so i just got it would you guys suggest multiple saves in case i mess up? i played only a little bit of fallout 3 so i'm kinda new to this game.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:33 pm

Always a good idea, though it's not feasible if you play on Hardcore Mode...of course, if you're new I wouldn't advise doing that anyway. With the way the storyline branches off, I'd definitely recommend some staggered saves so you can go back and play the different routes, but keeping a couple of different saves is always a good idea anyway in case you mess up and get yourself into a really bad situation or a bug corrupts a saved game.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:16 pm

so i got myself started up, killed the guy that tricks you into killing the geckos for him, killed a few powder gang guys by the skydiving area, and went to primm. saved it and attempted to go in, but i kept getting killed so i'm not sure where to go next. up north towards sloan & vegas?

oh and also a general strategy question. i find myself losing (what i think is) a lot of health fighting creatures and whatnot... when is a good time to use stimpaks and when should i use the doctor bags? i feel like i'm wasting them since i've already gone through a few and i don't feel like i'm very far into the game. how do i get my HP back up without costing me much money?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Pdub on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:13 am

As for multiple saves, everytime I save the game it is a new one, unless it is a quicksave or autosave.

Q, try to use stealth in primm. Beware of the outfit you are wearing, as certain factions outfits can cause people to be immediately hostile to you.
Pdub
Administrator
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:33 am

so should i go at night? i figured i could sneak around if it's dark, but i'm not sure where to go if i do get in. i wore the gang outfit inside and they still shot me so i'm not sure if its possible to disguise myself there.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Pdub on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:13 am

Just go naked, or get a mercenary outfit if you can.
Pdub
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:11 am

Doctor's bags are only good for healing crippled body parts. It's best to use stimpaks in the middle of a firefight when you're losing health rapidly and need to recover it. While you're travelling, that's when you should use food to restore your health. If you find a place to sleep or a water source to drink from, that's also a good alternative.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby el badman on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:12 am

up north towards sloan & vegas?

I wouldn't recommend Sloan at that stage of the game, the strongest enemies in the game have quite a happy family camping north of there (deathclaws). You're gonna need to get better armor/weapons first.
Just go naked

Always a safe bet :hump:
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:57 pm

el badman wrote:I wouldn't recommend Sloan at that stage of the game, the strongest enemies in the game have quite a happy family camping north of there (deathclaws). You're gonna need to get better armor/weapons first.

And even then, they're a bitch to take out. Where's the Dart Gun when you need it?

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:05 pm

ok yeah i avoided the north so far. i figured the game makers wanted to save it for the end. anyways, i made it down south went to nippon, the outpost, and the prison and did most of what i could there. i think i might push on out to novac to move the storyline (if that's possible at this stage of the game)

i've quite the gun collection now. i got a single shotty, the cowboy repeater, the 10 & 9 mm, & the varmint rifle. which gun is the best in your opinions? i have a feeling i will need to start using the varmint with the AP ammo soon. the handguns aren't doing as well as it did before.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:12 pm

I found myself favouring energy weapons a bit more towards the end, though the Hunting Shotgun is also pretty devastating.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Man this is some serious hunting:

phpBB [video]

I guess my Stealth character build from Fallout 3 won't stand long enough in the Mojave Wasteland.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Pdub on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:14 am

In that cave there is a small place that the deathclaws can't get you. I hid there and used vats and the anti material rifle to get critical sneak hits in the head. My character was not good enough at the time to take them head on, even with the hunting shotgun.
Pdub
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:50 am

I haven't tried tangling with any of the Legendary creatures as yet. That's one of the things that's next on the list when I pick it up again.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby el badman on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:03 am

That legendary deathclaw was certainly a bitch to slaughter, even with badass weapons like the gauss rifle or that crazy tesla prototype rifle.
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby [Q] on Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:16 am

so i just finished the game with the independent ending. not exactly sure that was the ending i wanted to see, but i was led down that path once i got tired of doing things for mr house. it was either independent or ncr ending. fuck caesar.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:33 pm

That was my train of thought on my first play through, though I went with the NCR ending to begin with.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby Pdub on Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:41 pm

I don't think there is a right or good ending. Every faction want power, and there are some negative consequences for each path.
Pdub
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:49 pm

Agreed and that holds pretty true to the Fallout universe, though having said that the Independent ending strikes me as the most positive option.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:13 am

yeah i partly didnt want the NCR ending because i installed the NCR as sheriff of Primm and when i went back they all seemed unhappy about it
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Pdub on Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:29 am

The independent ending seemed negative since all the trade routes were messed up, screwing the way for supplies, but I guess that was because I chose to kill off crimson caravans. I might play it again down the road and do everything opposite.
Pdub
Administrator
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:19 am

Pdub wrote:The independent ending seemed negative since all the trade routes were messed up, screwing the way for supplies, but I guess that was because I chose to kill off crimson caravans. I might play it again down the road and do everything opposite.

i don't think it was because of that. i killed the chick from cassidy caravans. apparently, she gives you a really cool perk. i didn't know you could kill crimson caravans though. i still got the "messed up caravan routes" in the ending. i'm guessing there's 3 main endings. caesar, ncr, and independent. then the mini endings are based off of whether you complete all of the missions for each group. (boomers, omertas, house, brotherhood, khans, etc.)

on another note, i remember discussion about the rate at which you get new perks... i say a new one every 2 was a good pace, although it did leave me wanting more with all of those choices. i would want more than one, but forced to pick only one. i think getting to pick 2 every 3 levels would be better even though it might make the game too easy at the end.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Pdub on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:13 am

It's a revenge mission for Cassidy, iirc. I put C4 at her desk while she was asleep, waited until the daytime when she was sitting at her desk and then went into the bathroom and blew her ass up so I didn't get shunned.
Pdub
Administrator
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:11 am

damn. that sounds like fun. i wish i got to play around with c4 in the game.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:30 pm

I chose the peaceful resolution for Crimson Caravans and as such, that part of the ending wasn't so bad. The Followers of the Apocalypse seem to get screwed over whichever way you go.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:19 am

Dead Money is coming to PC and PS3 on February 22nd. Reckon I'll be picking it up. (Y)

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:20 pm

As I mentioned before, Dead Money is out this coming week for PC and PS3. I've also been reading up on the other DLC over on The Vault; as you can see here, each of the future add-ons are expected to be released at the same time for all three platforms with four more packs being confirmed and two more possibly coming for a total of seven including Dead Money. Unfortunately, there won't be DLC that extends the game past the ending but with that many expansion packs and all the variables in the New Vegas storyline, plus a higher cap added by Dead Money, it's not the end of the world.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby el badman on Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:15 am

I finally decided to continue my 2nd playthrough as a bad karma guy after weeks of not playing it, so I just killed Mr House in his pod, and I'm pretending to help Caesar's Legion before trying to control all the securitrons through Yes Man (or at least I'm assuming it's gonna happen that way). I'll probably pick up that DLC before it gets to that point though.
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:10 am

I've actually started a third playthrough as my second character which was supposed to be evil has actually turned out to be neutral, mostly because I wanted to keep Cass around. I've maxed out that character so I've put that playthrough aside until Dead Money comes out; I'm taking the Legion route with the third character and also giving Hardcore mode a shot. It's certainly more difficult but having played through the game a couple of times already it's probably not quite as tough as it would've been had I tried it straight away.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:50 am

Finished a playthrough siding with the Legion and on Hardcore Mode from start to finish, to get the achievement. As I said before, I definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone starting out but once you've got an idea where everything is and have played through most of the quests a couple of times, it's certainly a fun challenge. I'll be going back to my other character and giving Dead Money a look in the near future.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:20 am

Reloading from a late game save point, I finally completed Mr House's ending and am currently giving Dead Money a go. I have to say it's pretty hard, almost unfairly so, even though I was at Level 30 when I started it and am now at Level 31. It's interesting though, I'm definitely looking forward to all the future add-ons.

Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator

Postby Pdub on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:50 pm

phpBB [video]
Pdub
Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic