Smackdown vs RAW 2009

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Postby deihatein on Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:44 pm

Got the game. All I can tell for the PS2 version, its basically the same game last year when it comes to graphics as well as some of the movesets of the wrestlers haven't changed.

I have played the Road of Wrestlemania with Cena even though it's impressive I have to say I am dissapointed, I like the 24/7 mode last year although it's just my opinion.

Create-A-Finisher is cool, like it, nothing else to say.

Overall the game is nice but kinda feel repetitive for the most part. The game is easy because you could win by only doing a finisher and the momentum bar can be easy to fill.

A question to Andrew, I know that you have the game so I have a question. How do you store those signature moves that keep on showing if your momentum bar is full? I keep on pressing L2 and R2 on the same time but still I cant store one. Any suggestions for me?
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:17 pm

Are you sure it isn't L1 and L2 at the same time? On the Xbox 360 it's Left Bumper + Left Trigger, I'm guessing the PS2 controls would be similar.

I really disliked 24/7 Mode last year, the offday events either cost you too much money, too much stamina (or resulted in you getting injured) and the resting activities had too big an impact on your popularity. I've liked previous career/story modes though and definitely prefer RTW over 24/7. I did like GM Mode though, I was sorry to see that go.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby deihatein on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:18 pm

Andrew wrote:Are you sure it isn't L1 and L2 at the same time? On the Xbox 360 it's Left Bumper + Left Trigger, I'm guessing the PS2 controls would be similar.

I really disliked 24/7 Mode last year, the offday events either cost you too much money, too much stamina (or resulted in you getting injured) and the resting activities had too big an impact on your popularity. I've liked previous career/story modes though and definitely prefer RTW over 24/7. I did like GM Mode though, I was sorry to see that go.

The only thing I liked about 24/7 is the way they work some of the storylines by either commenting when the wrestlers entrance is going and some of the cutscenes. The thing I disliked about 24/7 is the repetitiveness it has though. Three brands, different characters but still same storyline, same cutscenes and also they should have at least returned the calendar thing they have last year, in which you can see the schedule of the shows and the PPV, I dont like what they have now which every match you have is always a main event and when someone interferes in your match, you must fight those guys before a cutscene will appear and stop the match.

I'm pretty sure it's L2 and R2 together or I' am missing something?
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Lean on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:39 pm

If they're implying the controls from last year, it should be L2+L1.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby buzzy on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:29 am

I [s]downlaoded[/s] the game for the PSP and took a qiuck glimpse at RTWM, all I have to say is RTWM >>> 2008's 24/7 mode.
I'm still waiting to get the 360 version.

And good news for the CAS mode:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/928/928245p1.html
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:46 am

dei. wrote:The only thing I liked about 24/7 is the way they work some of the storylines by either commenting when the wrestlers entrance is going and some of the cutscenes. The thing I disliked about 24/7 is the repetitiveness it has though. Three brands, different characters but still same storyline, same cutscenes and also they should have at least returned the calendar thing they have last year, in which you can see the schedule of the shows and the PPV, I dont like what they have now which every match you have is always a main event and when someone interferes in your match, you must fight those guys before a cutscene will appear and stop the match.

I'm pretty sure it's L2 and R2 together or I' am missing something?

If it's like previous years it should be L2 and L1. L2 and R2 used to be the controls to steal a finisher.

I see what you're saying about Road to Wrestlemania but I prefer the match specific commentary of Road to Wrestlemania to the voiceovers on the entrances in 24/7. It adds to the atmosphere just as much, perhaps even moreso. I agree that having every user controlled match or segment as a main event isn't totally accurate but I still like the presentation. I'd have to disagree on fighting people who interfere, I think that's very true to the product and I like that it's more interactive than previous years leading up to the cutscene. That way, the cutscene doesn't feel totally unrelated to what happened at the end of the match.

Good news about the CAS patch, the faraway release date is a bit offputting but I guess it gives you time to play through Career Mode a bit so when you finally do finish, the game will be patched and then you can take advantage of maxing out attributes for any new created wrestlers if you so choose.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby B@5K3TB@11 3L1T3 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:35 pm

dei. wrote:SvR2009 will be available on the PS2? Andrew? Then i can buy the game even though i am not a big fan of the game now. The last time i played a wrestling game was the title Smackdown:Here comes the pain i think?
lol i still have that game. it is really funn. dont play it as much though cuz ps2 controller broke.
B@5K3TB@11 3L1T3

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:49 pm

HCTP remains a great game but these days I'll only pull the PS2 out for a bit of nostalgia or if I feel like having a shot at one of the GTA games I've yet to finish.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby megidoflare on Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:56 am

Yup it's L1 + L2 to store a finisher (or in this case, a signature move).

In the PSP version (which i have), it's L+R.

Anyways, I agree that the Road To Wrestlemania is a pretty interesting game mode. I just finished Jericho's storyline, and it was pretty interesting to say the least.

I'm now doing Taker's RTWM plus a career mode ft. Ted DiBiase Jr (CAW).

Since this is basically the same game like last year, I'm contemplating on getting this game. If i decide to stick with the PSP version then I guess I'll just buy GH: World Tour instead.

ANYWAYS, one thing I was disappointed about is that Lilian pretty much had the same intro speech she had last year, which sucked IMO.

"Making his way to the ring, from Chicago, Illinois, weighing in at 237 pounds, CM Punk?"

I'd say 06 or 07's ring announcing skills were WAY better

Oh, and why did they make Jericho use the "Volume 8" theme music? That just sucks...

Speaking of CAWs, is there any way to assign attributes to your CAW other than doing career mode???
megidoflare

Postby buzzy on Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:13 am

"Making his way to the ring, from Chicago, Illinois, weighing in at 237 pounds, CM Punk?"

Haha, you should try Shelton Benjamin with Justin Robert's announcement.

Oh, and why did they make Jericho use the "Volume 8" theme music? That just sucks...

They probably thought he would use it in the future and put it in.

Speaking of CAWs, is there any way to assign attributes to your CAW other than doing career mode???

Nope. Not as long as you stick with the PSP version.
Only the next-gens will get a patch to assign them manually.
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Re: Smackdown vs RAW 2009

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:30 am

Still no DLC yet. I was hoping it would be available pretty much straight away but I guess they're banking on everyone getting a little tired of the game and then renewing their interest with the updated roster and whatnot.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby buzzy on Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:56 am

Some THQ dude said in one podcast the first big pack will be released either at the end of this month or in the first weeks of December.
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:13 pm

That's not so bad then. Gives you enough time to get a bit tired of what's in the game to begin with.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Chino on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:13 pm

I just did the Undertaker's RTWM and I'm quite disappointed on finding out who's "THE MAN". I'm currently doing Triple H's RTWM and it's getting interesting.

I also find out that raising the attributes for your CAWS is really a pain in the ass. You need to play all the matches to raise your stats and unlock abilities. I heard that there is a patch coming that enables players to add attributes without doing career mode. The bad thing is that I got the ps2 version which doesn't have downloadable content feature. :(
Chino

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:25 am

I believe you've still got to play through Career Mode once to unlock it though. I can see why THQ has done that but I still think it's incredibly short-sighted given that created wrestlers are such a fundamental part of the game and career mode is lengthy and doesn't appeal to everyone. I'm hoping you can just sim through it, hence gaining "completion" of it and then being able to assign all those attributes through the use of the official update. I can understand THQ wanting to lengthen the game's lifespan but I don't think that approach is a good one, since by the time you achieve it you're probably fed up with the game anyway.

A little thing I do like this year is how the game responded to some of my frontend decisions. It recognised that I was skipping player entrances and prompted me to turn them off, which I did (I know you can turn them off in previous games but I've never bothered). I think it's a good idea to have the game respond to you like that and push those options (which you can still decline), especially for people who are new to the game and aren't aware of all the options.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby buzzy on Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:07 am

The first images of DLC have been posted over on wwe.com.
http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/sdvsraw09/dlcgallery/

I really hope there's coming more, only three wrestlers and one attire would be a huge letdown after all this waiting.
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:51 am

No word on the release date though.

EDIT: Looks like it's already available in the States, can anyone confirm that? Doesn't appear to be available to the Australian market yet.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Chino on Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:59 am

I think there would be more attires because I saw a video on youtube on what's included in DLC. I saw Masked Kane(2001 attire), 2008 attires for Edge,Rey and MVP and Christmas attire for some divas.
Chino

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:18 am

I'm guessing they'll be released in subsequent packs as a way of extending the game's longevity. I checked this morning and Pack 1 still wasn't available on the Marketplace, despite the announcement on WWE.com.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:04 pm

Still no DLC when I checked this morning...anyone in the States who has the game, have you been able to get the first DLC pack yet?
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby buzzy on Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:13 am

Nah it's not out yet, not even in the States. I've heard that it might be released later today, but I wouldn't count on it.
I guess there's going to be an official announcement from like THQ or so, before the release.
It'll cost 400 MS points by the way.

I'm not really dead keen on that pack anyways, Bourne and Jericho's attire should be cool though.
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:02 am

Ah, fair enough. WWE.com and a post on Wrestling News World seemed to indicate that it was available already. Thanks for the heads up. :)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby buzzy on Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:56 am

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/12/ ... n-january/

* Evan Bourne - playable Superstar
* Ted DiBiase - playable Superstar
* Charlie Haas - playable Superstar
* Chris Jericho - alternate attire
* Kelly Kelly - holiday costume (EXCLUSIVELY ON PS3)
* Maria Santa - holiday costume (EXCLUSIVELY ON PS3)
* Masked Kane - alternate attire (EXCLUSIVELY ON PS3)
* MVP - alternate attire (EXCLUSIVELY ON PS3)
* Edge - alternate attire (EXCLUSIVELY ON PS3)

OK first of all, January? It's getting ridiculous.
Secondly, I am kinda pissed. I mean I could pass on the Santa and MVP's gay outfit, but not having Masked Kane and Edge's old attire in the pack sucks.
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:47 am

Crap, this is all they have to offer with the DLC? How about downloadable PPV arenas?
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby buzzy on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:08 am

I am still confident that there will be more packs, but I wouldn't count on additional arenas though.
Lean, I didn't know you got the game, let alone an NG console?! Or are you just sharing the suffering with us? :)
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic