Games you're playing right now, and my freetime's demise

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Games you're playing right now, and my freetime's demise

Postby Axel The Great on Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:09 am

Currently playing My Player mode (I know it's not called that) in Madden 17 as a QB for the Texans. My god the strategies & tactics learning curve for football is so steep compared to basketball. Thank god for the Skills Trainer.
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby [Q] on Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:49 am

I've always liked running the ball in Madden. For some reason passing is difficult for me as I can't focus on one receiver and get sacked or I focus on one and miss other opportunities
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Axel The Great on Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:27 am

Yeah my philosophy is short and medium passes since that's all the Texans' trash O-line really gives me time for. I prefer running the ball too; I've actually played two seasons with Green Bay with a RB I created and won offense MVP both seasons. What difficulty do you play on?
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:06 pm

Thanks for the impressions, Jon. (Y) Definitely mulling it over, thinking of picking it up.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:40 pm

Axel. wrote:Yeah my philosophy is short and medium passes since that's all the Texans' trash O-line really gives me time for. I prefer running the ball too; I've actually played two seasons with Green Bay with a RB I created and won offense MVP both seasons. What difficulty do you play on?

Usually play on like pro or all-pro
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Axel The Great on Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:34 am

I toggle back and forth between those as well... I can consistently log more than 100 rushing yards every game but I'm prone to throwing at least three interceptions every game on All-Pro. :lol:
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby benji on Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:27 am

Titanfall 2 enough to "prestige" three times or something.

and now playerunknown's battlegrounds is probably becoming another title in the mix, maybe shuffling out or joining overwatch's sometimes role
benji

Postby [Q] on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:04 am

How is battlegrounds? I've been curious
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:40 am

I have a friend who plays it, he reckons it's pretty fun, even when you're not particularly good and still getting the hang of it. It isn't really my thing, but it sounds like a cool concept.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby benji on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:28 am

[Q] wrote:How is battlegrounds? I've been curious

https://clips.twitch.tv/ScaryDepressedSnakeSoonerLater
https://clips.twitch.tv/SourEnticingScorpionOSkomodo
https://clips.twitch.tv/HeadstrongAwkwa ... pPermaSmug
https://clips.twitch.tv/DepressedCrepuscularSoybeanMau5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTdSV7RZErk

benji wrote:i stayed in the plane until it forced me out just to see what happens if you stay in it...then immediately deployed my parachute and held down so i was taking ages to hover down at lowest possible speed

by the time i landed the number was already down to 65, eventually the blue wall of energy passed me by because the zone was way on the entire other side of the map

but! then i found a motorcycle and was bookin it, and this point i was just flyin to the center of the zone like screw all of ya'll as people took pot shots at me and dudes were fightin each other in places they'd never make it to the zone in time on foot, as i just flew past through the middle of em

then i got to just past the center of the zone and there was a big ol house with all the doors closed! and i was like jackpot! they'll come to me!

as i got off the motorcycle i hadn't come to a complete stop and died from "falling"

benji wrote:my only kill so far was this guy hidin prone in this guard shack thing, but his rifle barrel was sticking out clipping through the door and i could see down on him from the windows of it...so i went around went prone myself like five feet from the door, lined up my shot so it was on his barrel, set the rifle to full-auto and just unloaded through the door

giant bomb mega stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K_NyvcWDPY
benji

Postby benji on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:35 am

regarding the blue wall of energy and some other stuff basically how the game works is this:

everyone is dropped on the island with nothing but basic clothing (t-shirt, underwear, maybe a hat you've unlocked, etc.), you scavenge for clothing, armor, weapons, first aid, etc.

at intervals as people are killed or die a timer starts, this creates a "play area" which is a circle in a location somewhere on the map, then a countdown starts, you should get close to this area before time runs out

after the first time, a blue circle starts outside the inner circle, this closes in on the "play area" if it passes you, you start taking small damage per second, BUT as you'll generally die from just a few shots this can be important later

as more players die, the game contracts the play area circle to be smaller and smaller and repeats the cycle of countdowns and blue walls of energy for those outside the zone

in the one game giant bomb played, the circle had contracted to its near smallest size with 45 of the hundred people who start a match still alive which led to chaos that could be heard outside as jeff hid in a bedroom lol

when you die you can immediately start a new match, you don't have to sit and watch everyone else, infact right now you can't unless they're on your squad or duo (and your view and stuff is limited to theirs so that teammates who are dead can't help theirs too much, Giant Bomb video shows this pretty well especially since Vinny almost always dies first)
benji

Postby benji on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:45 am

Although the game is entirely new built off of Unreal Engine 4, the reason "playerunknown" is in the title is that he was the creator of an ARMA 3 mod that led to this. As such, the game has a lot of that realistic ARMA-ness to how you can maneuver around the world (i.e. no double jumping and mantling over crap), how everything you have is shown on you, how distances play a part in combat encounters, how its weapons work (bullet drop, accuracy, etc.; in that first twitch video is a Korean guy counting off the actual distance to fire a sniper rifle at someone miles away) compared to something like Battlefield where weapons stay the same and lean on t he side of fun over realism.

That said, they are adding more and more stuff all the time, and they are having some fun with it. For example, they added a frying pan due to requests as a melee weapon. But it hangs over your butt when not equipped and reflects bullets. Since it's cast iron this is actually fairly realistic with some funny butt protection added in as it's the only thing in the game that gives you butt protection right now iirc. (And yes, you can, in theory use it like a lightsaber and reflect shots, but every clip I've seen this does not end well for the guy trying it.)
benji

Postby Kenny on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:24 pm

Received the 2013 reboot of Tomb Raider and the Borderlands Handsome collection for my birthday. Both games are pretty cool so far, even if I can't get past Deadlift in the Borderlands Pre-Sequel.

I also picked up a second hand copy of Catherine with a bit of birthday money. It always made WhatCulture and WatchMojo lists for strange games, so I was pretty curious. It definitely lives up to the hype, as it's probably the strangest game I've played so far. In saying that, it's a pretty fun game - albeit frustrating at times when you get stuck on certain puzzles.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby benji on Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:34 pm

TITANFALL 2 NOW HAS FRONTIER DEFENSE

PERFECT GAME IS MADE

THAT IS ALL
benji

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:19 pm

JaoSming wrote:It's definitely worth a look right now, as it's $20 in early access on PC, but in a few months they're planning to release the "full version" for $40 on PC and PS4. At least you can refund with Steam if it's not your thing.

The gameplay is quirky, but once I got used to it I've been having a lot of fun. It's timing based. So it's really easy to whiff on striking moves if the sprites aren't lined up right. Grapples are done automatically by walking into each other, and once you lock up you input a command ASAP, because neither guy "controls" the grapple. Later in the match there is a "breathe" button you need to use to keep your guy from getting winded.

Ended up picking it up. Striking is definitely kind of clunky, with a lot of strikes seeming to clip right through the opponent, but there's definitely potential there. I know the series is highly regarded, and this Early Access version seems pretty solid as it is, so it should turn out pretty good in the end.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:00 am

I love one of the guides, saying if you are just starting out to simply not strike at all. I've gotten used to it though, so I just strike when I know I can land it rather than use it as a transitional move like in other games.

I spent the weekend getting nearly 600 CAWs. This is how I setup my promotions/stables (all neutral)

WWE - I think my roster is 100% accounted for except for a few NXT guys and UK people I forgot/don't care about.
RAW, Smackdown, NXT, 205 Live, Cruiserweights, UK

Indies - I never appreciated how much talent WWE has until I did this, jeeeez. These had more holes in the rosters.
GFW, ROH, Lucha Underground, PWG, NJPW

Legends
WWE, WWF, ECW, WCW, Golden Era

Other
Wrestlers as TV characters (Bonesaw in Spider-Man, GLOW cast), Real-life fighters (Mayweather, Ali, UFC), Sports (Shaq, Curry, LeBron), TV/Movies (Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Nic Cage, etc), Video Game characters, Superheroes.

I watched a random 32-person MMA tournament with Andre the Giant winning, and then setup titles for the WWE promotions and then one per Indies and Legends. So, without a career mode, I just load up, pick a random title, champion is CPU, and choose a random person in that promotion to play as (press Start to choose a random wrestler in the stable screen).

But yeah, after getting used to it, I understand why the series has been so highly regarded. Getting 100% on a match evaluation felt like a major accomplishment for me.

Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby ThePointForward on Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:28 pm

No Man's Sky just got patch 1.3 adding shitload of content (again). There goes my weekend.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Lean on Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:38 pm

Re-playing The Witcher 1 so I could do a full playthrough of the trilogy with one save game continuity. I forgot how clunky the combat in the first game was.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby ThePointForward on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:51 pm

To be fair I think there are only 6 decisions that are imported to Witcher 3.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby jenz on Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:49 am

Coincidentally, I just bought the Witcher trilogy. I do not have any idea on what it is about. I am excited to try it tonight.
jenz
Too cool for a custom title.

Postby Lean on Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:17 pm

Don't expect too much out of the first game graphics-wise. It's very dated. I just got past the tutorial stage and the first village yesterday. During my first playthrough, I still haven't figured out how to use the potions, and still haven't got my initial armor replaced. :lol: I just tanked my way through.

Dommy73 wrote:To be fair I think there are only 6 decisions that are imported to Witcher 3.

Oh. :(
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby jenz on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:21 pm

Yup, I was not expecting much from the first one. I just felt like I need to start with it. I actually opened it last night and the cutscenes were painstakingly long. :lol:
jenz

Postby Lean on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:42 pm

You can left-click to skip dialogues, ESC for cutscenes with cinematic cameras.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby jenz on Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:41 pm

Thanks, but I wouldn't really want to skip anything. :)
jenz

Postby Lean on Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:56 pm

Most of the time I rely on subtitles then just skip the dialogue once I read the lines. But I still can't figure out how to make Swallow potions! :lol:
Lean
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic