Mod Suggestions re: Multiple postings

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Mod Suggestions re: Multiple postings

Postby sq322 on Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:35 am

Regarding multiple postings
here is an idea.

Thx to Yohance for pointing out the right place to post these
If the announcements are succesive about multiple patches.
Merge em into one topic
But if they are not interrelated .. leave em seperate
The alternative is to make a forum under announcements for each patcher and list their work there.
Probably a LARGE pain in the neck but maybe worth considering
sq322

Postby Tony on Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:31 am

I already on this other thread wrote:I don't really get what you're trying to achieve with this modding and deleting topics for newly released stuff. I read your "quit the spam" thing, and I don't get why you're trying to stop people from making new topics, with instead of keeping them in one place (I understand it for shoes, its nice to have one place for them all, but more people will be aware of newly released things if there were seperate topics for seperate patches...

I think merging threads should just be done for something like
- a guy releases a dozen of patches in one day, and creates a topic for every single one of them (thus making it spam)
- if the patches are very similar in nature

In this case, none of it happened. This new thing is a uniform patch, not a player patch, and more people would check it out if they saw a new different topic, than the same old one, in which a bunch of stupidities and flames had been posted concerning a face/headshape of a player. And having the thread name with "Jalen Rose & referee" in it also won't make anybody think there is a jersey patch announced there....

New topics for hot new stuff... its the way things have always have been on NLSC... even on the old forum, I don't get it... I see nothing wrong with new threads... I like new threads... they load up faster.

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~nbalive/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4710

The point of it to me is unclear. Yes, it will reduce the number of new threads, but also, it will make the loading time of those huge threads slower, and will be quite confusing for any board user.

I for one, when check the message boards for new patches, look for new threads, and the threads in which I know there is something new. This way, with these all-in-1-threads, if there's anything new in them is unclear... and precious time can be lost on reading useless comments... happened to me a lot of time while browsing Nahk's shoe thread (which is supposed to be the example of this new modding rule, and takes a lifetime to fully load), new posts in it, but no new content...
Tony

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:29 am

I didn't have anything to do with that rule being implemented, I have no problems with new posts for new patches (except in the case of multiple posts where there need only be one announcement topic for a patcher's latest releases). So I'm overruling it.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby benji on Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:30 pm

That's right...praise for the Begley Administration...

Thug makes a big moderation decision...no...GIGANTIC...and while it was almost good in theory...clearly it's a failure in practice...

To force all patchers work into a handful of threads, killing non-broadbanders, insuring confusion and much wasting of time...and threating deletion if violated...

The revoking of this newly created rule (that had no advocates?) is a victory for rightousness!
benji

Postby Nick on Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:11 pm

I appriciate Yohance for trying to make a change Image...but i don't like the idea... mainly because i'm 56k...:D
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 14, 2003 10:36 am

In case anyone has not seen the clarification, check the "Quit the Spam" thread in the Live 2003 Announcements. I feel that the adjusted rule is more in touch with what Yohance was originally trying to get at. :)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby BIG GREEN on Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:09 pm

Ben wrote:Image

Thug makes a big moderation decision...no...GIGANTIC...and while it was almost good in theory...clearly it's a failure in practice...

To force all patchers work into a handful of threads, killing non-broadbanders, insuring confusion and much wasting of time...and threating deletion if violated...

The revoking of this newly created rule (that had no advocates?) is a victory for rightousness!

I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands- one nation indivisible-with liberty and justice for all..

and on the same level of relevance and importance as ben's post....i'm over 400 now..cool :cool:
A big fan of the emerald hue and much higher state of being/
Yohance "thug" Bailey on the scene...now known as Big Green/
BIG GREEN

Postby benji on Sat Mar 15, 2003 8:43 am

My post = related to topic of thread
Your post = un-needed mocking of a poster by a moderator that's also off-topic...
benji

Postby BIG GREEN on Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:29 pm

whatever you say man. :roll:
BIG GREEN

Postby Matthew on Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:54 pm

Ben wrote:Image

Like that wasn't mocking anybody...
Matthew

Postby benji on Sun Mar 16, 2003 3:09 am

True, I was mocking Dr. Seth Hazlitt...but...regardless, I was giving praise for Beggs and giving my opinion on how poor the rule was...not violating rules as a moderator and also being off-topic :roll:
benji

Postby BIG GREEN on Sun Mar 16, 2003 5:21 am

Ben wrote:True, I was mocking Dr. Seth Hazlitt...but...regardless, I was giving praise for Beggs and giving my opinion on how poor the rule was...not violating rules as a moderator and also being off-topic :roll:

You were mocking me, point blank and simple. Dr. seth hazlitt has nothing to do with this. Why don't you go be a bother on your own forum?

locked before this escalates.
BIG GREEN

Return to Off-Topic