What's up with the Forum?

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

What's up with the Forum?

Postby Brave Sir Rubin on Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:32 am

Forum has been turned into shit lately...

a bunch of idiots are posting here and ruining it with idiotic comments...

hell %90 of NBA TALK is either idiotic or spam...

there are some good posters...but not many...

in general the forum is pretty much ruined...

i've been on this forum for a long time...and i hate to see this happening...
Brave Sir Rubin
Showerfun

Postby benji on Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:28 am

I apologize, but I refuse to leave out of my own free will, Pabel...since I haven't violated any guidelines :roll:
benji

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:52 am

You're talking about the NBA Talk and General Talk forums, neither of which are the topic of the main site. Also, I feel 90% is somewhat of an exaggeration. I strongly disagree with your sentiments. In fact, I feel much of the problem are people who, instead of making a positive contribution, do nothing but complain how bad it is.

Perhaps if there are no threads of interest to you, you could create some of your own? :roll:

I don't think this forum is ruined. You seem to be letting two of the boards (which are not as bad as you make out) speak for the entire forum.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Brave Sir Rubin on Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:47 pm

well...true...none of the topics interest me...

and when i'm sapeaking of the "forum" i mean non-NBalive related stuff....just to clarify...

I apologize, but I refuse to leave out of my own free will, Pabel...since I haven't violated any guidelines

hahha...lol...silly Fwark :lol:

well...anyways...let me point out some crapy threads...(of the recent ones)

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~nbalive/ph ... php?t=4327

150 posts of spam

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~nbalive/ph ... php?t=4568

judge for yourself

there are more...yet i'm not bored enough to be searching...

plus even in the good threads...most users just write crap...
Brave Sir Rubin
Showerfun

Postby TheBob on Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:44 pm

If the forum is crap and hardly any of the posters are up to your standards maybe you should post somewhere else. No one makes you read or post here, so if you don't like it I'm sure no one will care if you leave. Furthermore, what may seem like crap to you might be insightful to others. For example, the thread about AL VS. AI was obviously informative for the guy who asked the question. Also, if you find the threads stupid, then read other ones which are more appealing to you. Simply put, quit whining and stay or go bitch on some other forum.
TheBob

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 05, 2003 5:05 pm

The one word story post: Admittedly not the most intellectual discussion on an internet message board, but not meant to be. General Talk is basically a talk about anything kind of board. It's just a distraction for people, just a bit of fun. It's one thread out of 4000+ in this forum. It's not a great example of the kind of posts that dominate the forum.

The Iverson question post: As Bob said, it was most likely informative to the poster who asked the question. It wasn't the most thought-provoking NBA discussion ever posted, but it wasn't meant to be.

plus even in the good threads...most users just write crap...

But you don't back that up with examples. Come on, are you saying that in 285 topics (5913 posts) only 28 topics (591 posts) have been good, intelligent discussion (which would leave 90% categorised as spam)?

I put it to you that you can't just sit there waiting for someone to bring up the topic you want to talk about it. If there's nothing of interest to you, try creating a topic - you may be surprised, there may be people who would like to discuss that topic too.

and when i'm sapeaking of the "forum" i mean non-NBalive related stuff....just to clarify...

Which are a couple of forums provided as extras for the community, because NBA Live fans tend to be NBA fans, and General Talk (originally called Soap Box) was basically created to accomodate off-topic, general conversation.

Hence I say the NLSC Forum is not ruined, as there's more to it than two categories. I'm not saying you're not entitled to your own views or feelings, I'm simply saying I disagree with your assertion - and that there's a way around it. :)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Nick on Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:30 pm

TheBob wrote:If the forum is crap and hardly any of the posters are up to your standards maybe you should post somewhere else. No one makes you read or post here, so if you don't like it I'm sure no one will care if you leave. Furthermore, what may seem like crap to you might be insightful to others. For example, the thread about AL VS. AI was obviously informative for the guy who asked the question. Also, if you find the threads stupid, then read other ones which are more appealing to you. Simply put, quit whining and stay or go bitch on some other forum.

Uh...Bob, i think you missed his point...it's not that he's too good for the forum, he just misses the old days...

I disagree with you Pavel... the forum is not ruined...it's fine... there are a few idiots and spammers...but there always has been...you never said anything then, did you.

I think that the 'one word story' thread is fun...i laugh my head off with some of the cookee things some people come up with...it's creative...it's fun...it's a bunch of idiots spamming? no...there's absolutely nothing wrong with that thread...

But, i do think the forum lost its tight community feel after the phpbb change ...but that's in the past...It's up to people like you and me who used to know of the good times to bring this forum together like it used to be... If you piss and moan about 'awww...the forum is idiot' 'ugh, everybody sucks' then you're not going to get anywhere...

Most of the posters that used to be fun at the old forum aren't here anymore :( But some are! :D and there are new guys too....who we get to know and bring the NLSC community together again (Y).

If i could make one wish for the NLSC it would be to bring back some good old vets...
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby alexboom on Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:47 pm

You know Pavel, every forum with phpbb2 has this kind of problem ... It's not the first site I see that change his forum in phpbb2 then see many new people posting not very interesting things at all...
It must be for sure because the phpbb2 forum is nice looking and easy to surf so it attracts many people and the number of posts under the avatar encourages postboosting (but i'd prefer to keep it, it enables to see if the person has made many contributions or not)

but it's not as bad as you say, yes the general talk is getting worse and worse but there are still some good topics, and indeed, the main reason of this forum is NBA Live, not really NBA ...
alexboom

Postby JHova on Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:20 am

It's not ruined... but it sure aint what it used to be.
JHova

Postby Rens on Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:37 am

This is not about the new forum there were threads just like this on the old forum...
Rens

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby em on Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:17 am

Brave Sir Rubin wrote:well...anyways...let me point out some crapy threads...(of the recent ones)

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~nbalive/ph ... php?t=4327

150 posts of spam

i said it myself..its plain stupid and all it does is cheat the post counts..i dont knw why ppl can be so stupid and lame and how low u can go to get wut? post counts?? oh pls... :roll:
em

Postby Brave Sir Rubin on Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:39 am

well...maybe it ain't ruined...but like Jae said...it's truly not like it's used to be...

and i do post in another foru...nbalive.org

and it's also php based...yet...the topics there are so much better and more interesting...plus there are bearly/no idiots there.....

you're right...some spam threads may be fun...but still...you see people spamming for post count...lol

and back to spam...wasn't it "illigel" in the old NLSC?

maybe i should start posting stockalone jokes again eyy? :roll:

i'll try to post more here...develop threads...
Brave Sir Rubin
Showerfun

Postby em on Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:25 am

Brave Sir Rubin wrote:maybe i should start posting stockalone jokes again eyy? :roll:

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
em

Postby Drex on Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:09 am

i said it myself..its plain stupid and all it does is cheat the post counts..i dont knw why ppl can be so stupid and lame and how low u can go to get wut? post counts?? oh pls..

it's just a story to laugh, just that, nobody care if you have 1 or 1000 posts.
Drex
You bastards!!!

Postby em on Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:22 am

Dr3x_14 wrote:it's just a story to laugh, just that, nobody care if you have 1 or 1000 posts.

not exactly..the old forum was mostly about post counts.. :roll: ppl asking for how many they have..dont u remember dat? if u were there..u should knw its true..
em

Postby LegoSHAQ on Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:22 pm

JHova wrote:It's not ruined... but it sure aint what it used to be.

Imagethe forum ain't what it used to be
ain't what it ought to be
it used to be so free
no, the forum ain't what it ought to be
ain't what it used to be
you know, i can't even think

look before you leap
watch the company you keep
never fall asleep
'cause the ocean's too deep
look before you leap
never fall asleep....

:wink:
LegoSHAQ

Postby TheBob on Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:23 pm

big_stud12585 wrote:
Dr3x_14 wrote:it's just a story to laugh, just that, nobody care if you have 1 or 1000 posts.

not exactly..the old forum was mostly about post counts.. :roll: ppl asking for how many they have..dont u remember dat?

Actually it was just a phase people went through when one person brought it up. Throughout the NLSC's history there has been relatively little interest in post counts.
TheBob

Postby MC Hao on Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:32 pm

Throughout the NLSC's history there has been relatively little interest in post counts.

You think?

Obviously, Bob, Pavel has been here much MUCH longer than both of us, I wouldn't argue with him about this forum's history. (note: once again, you sounded like Bill Walton...*cough*...overstatement...*cough*) :D

the forum ain't what it used to be
ain't what it ought to be
it used to be so free
no, the forum ain't what it ought to be
ain't what it used to be
you know, i can't even think

look before you leap
never fall asleep
'cause the ocean's too deep
look before you leap
never fall asleep....

At least you got that right. :wink:
MC Hao

Postby TheBob on Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:01 pm

MC HAO wrote:Obviously, Bob, Pavel has been here much MUCH longer than both of us, I wouldn't argue with him about this forum's history.

Ummm I don't know about that one, I've been browsing the forum for several years. I'm sure Ben can testify to that.
TheBob

Postby MC Hao on Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:05 pm

OK, I could be wrong. :oops:
But it's safe to say Pavel was here way before I was, and I've never seen you in the old forum. :?
MC Hao

Postby TheBob on Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:15 pm

No problem MC. I didn't post anywhere near as much as I do now so maybe that's why you didn't notice me.
TheBob

Postby Stevan on Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:01 pm

Imagine if by some weird miracle the old forum came back... I think it would feel like going home, hehe, back to that black screen! It would definately put a smile on my face, even though that may sound weird.

Andrew is the old forum saved anywhere? I mean the threads? Maybe we could do a tribute, and put together some of the most memorable/influential quotes, or threads or something. It might remind people why it was so fun here, and what they used to be like before they joined the nbalive.orgasm clan.

reminiscin' yo! :P
Stevan

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:13 pm

Yeah, the old forum is still online, though posting is disabled. There's not going to be a return to Discus though, especially since this forum has been established (and from an admin's standpoint, much more user-friendly).
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Colin on Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:35 pm

Stevan wrote:nbalive.orgasm clan
Maybe I should of stayed exclusivley at .org, dissing other forums that are better isn't cool

You = Un:cool:
C#
Pretty Flaco
Colin

Postby Rens on Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:20 pm

Stevan in this thread wrote:nbalive.orgasm clan

Andrew in this thread wrote:Yeah, the old forum is still online, though posting is disabled. There's not going to be a return to Discus though, especially since this forum has been established (and from an admin's standpoint, much more user-friendly).

Yet...
Clinton in another thread wrote::?

Fwark in another thread wrote:useful reply Clinton...

Andrew in another thread wrote:Please, everyone try to avoid remarks meant to instigate flames, and let's also try to avoid getting drawn into one.

Andrew in another thread wrote:
Fwark wrote:So, when I post a short sarcastic unharmful sentence regarding something that was pointless, wasteful and shouldn't have been done it was unneeded...but when Clinton or a NBA Fan for example make a quip along the same lines or worse...it's fine...I understand completely...

Don't give me that. They don't make a point of judging the value or quality of other people's posts.

I've had enough, I'm not going to discuss this any further. I've asked everyone to end this part of the discussion without any threat of deletion or action because it doesn't not warrant anything that harsh. Please, no more.
Last edited by Rens on Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rens

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Next

Return to Off-Topic