ram

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

ram

Postby Taner on Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:28 am

when u buy more ram for ur computer does it add to wut u already have or does it replace it...is it like a memory card for a game system such as ps2???cud i have many with different things on them and then put that one in when i want whats on it??? i dont have enuf ram to play the game smoothly so i need some and i need to know how to use it? thanks and how much do u recomend i have a basic 256 mb right now? and where can i get it cheap?
Taner

Postby Fitzy on Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:47 am

for starters, this is the wrong section by a mile, but before it gets moved/locked ill answer the question
when you install more ram, it just adds up, but if you have more then one stick, you have to make sure the 2 sticks are identical to make sure they are compatible together in dual channel mode. i would recommend anything above 512 mg, so you should look at buying either a stick of 256 that is exactly the same as your current one, or ditching that and getting a 512 on. there are heaps of places you can get them cheap, look around on the net instead of in the shops for better deals
Fitzy

Postby Taner on Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:31 pm

ok so how do i put it in when i get it and eventually cud u like have too much or too many....like if u wanted like 50 gigs cud u add em up little by little and have a lot?
Taner

Postby Donatello on Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:46 pm

I went ahead and moved this to "General Talk" for you, because, as Fitzy said, it has nothing to do with NBA Live 07 specifically. :)

Your computer has a certain number of slots for RAM, it comes in a little stick. No regular computer that I know of would have enough slots to get up to 50g, but in theory you could do it, I suppose.

Your hard drive is where the computer stores the data/programs/etc. The RAM (which stands for Random Access Memory) is the memory the computer uses to actually run the programs.

That's not exactly right technically, but it's good enough to understand basically what RAM is.
||[b]b]||
Donatello
Dongatello

Postby Taner on Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:50 pm

thanks guys
Taner

Postby DatYellowGuy on Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:34 pm

There are also like tons of types of ram...like DDR and such. Each has it's different speed and you gotta make sure that they work with your motherboard before you buy anything.
DatYellowGuy

Postby benji on Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:51 pm

Fitzy wrote:but if you have more then one stick, you have to make sure the 2 sticks are identical to make sure they are compatible together in dual channel mode.

That's only true if you have a dual channel memory system to start with.

Taner, run this: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
From the Memory tab list: Type, Channels
From the SPD tab list: Max Bandwidth

That will tell you what kind of memory you need, how much it will cost, etc.

RAM won't have a HUGE effect on running Live much faster or smoother, a graphics card would do a lot more there. Although 512MB or 1GB of memory would be nice, it won't have as big of effect as upgrading your graphic card would. In CPU-Z you can check the mainboard tab to see what kind of graphic interface you've got. If you do Start->Run->dxdiag, on the Display tab you can see what kind of graphic card you have in there.
benji

Postby Fitzy on Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:42 pm

Donatello wrote:Your hard drive is where the computer stores the data/programs/etc. The RAM (which stands for Random Access Memory) is the memory the computer uses to actually run the programs.

That's not exactly right technically, but it's good enough to understand basically what RAM is.

To elaborte, ram is a temporary place for storing files like boot info and stuff which can be temporarily placed there and randomly accessed at any time by the computer
Fitzy

Postby thegreatdivide on Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:07 am

I'll just happily add to this topic:
Got my new pc on Friday...
AMD 64 x2 5000+ (2.6ghz dual core)
4 320gb hard disks (1280 gb total)
3 gb RAM

This was a custom built system for my recording studio. :)

Im a VERY happy man of late.
thegreatdivide

ram installation

Postby Taner on Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:01 am

ok so i have a 256 samsung stick of ram and my computer is a dell dimensions 2400 i dont know if my ram is compatible with this stick but id like to know how to try to add it and see. how do i take my computer apart without harmin anything andthen how do i know where and how to put it in?
Taner

Postby bigh0rt on Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:11 am

While a lot of people here are knowledgable with computers, you may want to take this question to more of a tech related site or forums. By no means do you have to; I'm just looking out for the well-being of your machine.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Taner on Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:17 am

k i figured it was kind of an unrelated topic but i figured maybe sum1 has done the samething im asking. do u know of anygood forums for this type of thing i tried googling it and it didnt really help
Taner

Postby Silas on Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:04 pm

The more ram you have, the faster programs will run, up to a point. There isn't a huge difference in running most programs when you go from 1.5 to 2 gigs, or 2 to 3 because 1.5 is about as fast as you need for running basic programs, but in running games, especially demanding ones like battlefield 2142 or Oblivion, the more ram can make a difference. Also, your Processor and Video Card play a huge roll. Your extra Ram can only boost your PC's speed so much without upgrading your Video Card or Processor.
Silas

Postby benji on Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:16 pm

I assume this is your computer.

You have PC2700 RAM up to 512MB per slot. And no AGP/PCI-E slot.
This is inside. At the very bottom is the ram, those long black things with white things on the end, running horizontally.

You can upgrade your ram by plugging new ones into those slots. (Disconnect everything from your computer, remove the sides, pop the tabs and push gently the stick into an empty slot using the one already in as a guide. Touch as little as possible.) However, games aren't going to run any better. You have to add a PCI graphic card and that will improve things quite a bit over the integrated one, but you're still not going to have a very good gaming rig for today's games. Or even last week's games.
benji

Return to Off-Topic