General Football/Soccer Talk

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Postby Srbija on Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:22 pm

:lol: Red Star is better for you because it's in English.
Srbija
Jayceon Taylor ™

Postby #12 on Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:35 pm

i heard rumors about robinho transferring to inter milan (N)

Postby Joe' on Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:55 pm

He will probably end like Adriano if he plays for Inter this season. Every brazilian player that plays for Inter always ends up playing like shit (Ronaldo, Adriano, Zé Maria, etc can't remember others).

Red Star is better for you because it's in English.

In part it is like that, because I don't know how to pronounce it/don't understand it (I know it means Red Star in Serbian but if someone speaks to me and says "Crvena Zvezda" I would be like "WTF?").
But lots of names are better in English than in their original language, for example the name of my city: the word "Milano" sounds like shit. "Milan" sounds way better.
The same for "Roma" and "Firenze". "Rome" and "Florence" sound better.
Other words in other languages don't come up to my mind right now, but I'm sure there are good examples in other languages.
Anyways, "Stella Rossa Belgrado" sure sounds worse than "Crvena Zvezda" :lol:
Dear Old World, you represent everything that's wrong...
Joe'
Sir Psycho Sexy

Postby Pera on Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:21 pm

Yeah well if you know how to prononce "Crvena Zvezda",then it sounds a lot cooler then "Red Star",but I understand you guys.You just don't have a clue how to say Crvena Zvezda :lol: .
Pera

Postby dada on Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:09 am

Found a few pictures of the Robinho/Gravesen fight...

Robinhos best Bruce Lee impersonation :lol:

"Mommy..."

Theres more but I think that sums it up.
dada

Postby J@3 on Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:48 am

He will probably end like Adriano if he plays for Inter this season. Every brazilian player that plays for Inter always ends up playing like shit (Ronaldo, Adriano, Zé Maria, etc can't remember others).

Huh? Adriano was dominating for a while with Inter, same goes for Ronaldo. Injuries are hardly the clubs fault.
J@3

Postby Joe' on Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:28 am

Jae wrote:Injuries are hardly the clubs fault.

Oh you think so? Lots of players of Inter suffered serious injuries that required surgery (i.e Ronaldo) and all the rest they got after the surgery was a maximum of one month and a half (after that Inter convinced them to re-start to train). I mean, one month of rest is fucking nothing after a knee surgery (I know because I had knee surgery and I had to stay at the hospital for three weeks and after that, the doctor said that if I played football or any other physical sport before two months, there could be a possibility that I couldn't walk for the rest of my life).
It's not Inter's fault if the player gets injured. But it is Inter's fault if the player doesn't get well after the injury. That's what happened to Ronaldo: He got injured, he had surgery on the knee, Inter forced him to play after only four months, and then he got injured again after only six minutes, without any contact. After that he couldn't play for 2 YEARS.
I'm basing this on the Ronaldo injury but there are other examples, like the injury of Lothar Matthäus in 1992. Though it didn't happen what happened with Ronaldo. Inter did one of the worst things ever done in football: they sold Matthäus to Bayern Munchen (thinking his career was over) even if he was injured.
Joe'
Sir Psycho Sexy

Postby J@3 on Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:36 am

Wtf :lol: players at every team suffer injury, and alot of the time the injury is recurring. I know you hate Inter and everything but it's a bit ridiculous to accuse them of being the cause of players not recovering well from injury. David Beckham's constantly injured at Real Madrid, is that their fault?
J@3

Postby dada on Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:09 am

Found a link to a vid of a Gattuso look-alike. :lol:

http://www.filecabi.net/video/midgetmus.html
dada

Postby Srbija on Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:56 am

Good find on the pics dadamafia, I kind of feel sorry for Robinho. :lol:
Srbija
Jayceon Taylor ™

Postby Jing on Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:08 am

hm.. chelsea lost to MLS All Stars.. 0-1...
probably cause they didnt play their best players and it was preseason for them, but then again the MLS all stars didnt have Dempsey, Donavon, and guys... impressive win... I had expected Chelsea to totally destory
Jing

Postby dada on Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:08 pm

Chelsea were definitely outplayed in that one. Even though the MLS guys are in midseason form it, and Chelsea arent, I expected alot more from them after all the yapping about how great and dedicated the team has been in training. I feel sick saying this but the MLS players were the more creative and dangerous side on the pitch. :shake:

Not a good way to represent the English Premier League.

On with some news...

skysports.com wrote:Fergie confirms Carrick blow

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson admits Michael Carrick will be out for at least three weeks after injuring his ankle against Ajax in a pre-season friendly.

Following Friday night's exertions against Porto that saw the dismissals and consequent pending domestic suspensions of Wayne Rooney and Paul Scholes, Ferguson would have been praying his side came though Saturday's game unscathed.

It was, though, to be a difficult night for United in Amsterdam as although Ryan Giggs claimed the game's only goal it came at a cost when Carrick went down under a 14th minute challenge from Kenneth Perez.

The England midfielder was replaced immediately but looked in obvious discomfort and left the Amsterdam ArenA on crutches, much to the dismay of his manager.

Ferguson now concedes that his new £18.6 million signing looks a major doubt for the club's Premiership opener against Fulham on August 20.

"It looks like he'll be out for a few weeks - there's a lot of swelling and bleeding,'' Ferguson told Sky Sports News.

"It's a ligament to the front of the foot.

"It is difficult to say what will happen with these things because we don't know what his general recovery time is but it will be three weeks at least.

"It is a blow for the young lad because he has only just joined us and he wanted to do well.

''It knocks him back a bit but it's something we have to handle as we have done many times in the past.

''It's terrible luck. It seems like we are cursed at times but we'll have to get on with it.''
dada

Postby Joe' on Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:05 pm

dadamafia wrote:Found a link to a vid of a Gattuso look-alike. :lol:

http://www.filecabi.net/video/midgetmus.html

lol that's so funny, good find :lol:
Joe'
Sir Psycho Sexy

Postby dada on Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:37 am

worldsoccer.com wrote:Beckham dropped by England

David Beckham's England career looks over after new manager Steve McClaren left him out of his squad to face Greece on August 16.

"I told David I was looking to change things, looking to go in a different direction, and he wasn't included within that," explained McClaren.

The new England manager refused to close the door on Beckham's career, but it seems unlikely that the 31-year-old will add to his tally of 94 caps.

"I got the reaction I wanted, and the reaction was he would continue to fight for his place, and I will never close the door on that."

The Real Madrid midfielder resigned as captain after England's World Cup elimination in July but insisted he wanted to continue playing.

Beckham made his debut in a World Cup qualifier against Moldova in September 1996 at the age of 21. He went on to lead England 58 times, behind only Billy Wright and Bobby Moore (both 90) and Bryan Robson (65).

Sol Campbell and David James have been also been left out of McClaren's first squad, but Jermain Defoe, Phil Neville, Wes Brown, Darren Bent and Chris Kirkland return to the squad. West Ham striker Dean Ashton has received his first England call-up.

"It's a new beginning, a new era. It's a terrific nucleus," said the former Middlesbrough boss.

"I have always admired Defoe. He has great potential. He came along as a back-up player during the World Cup and did well in training.

"Ashton has come through the Under-21s and then made a big money move to West Ham. He's done well there and should be given his opportunity."

England squad
Goalkeepers: Robinson (Tottenham), Kirkland (Liverpool), Foster (Man Utd).

Defenders: Bridge (Chelsea), Brown (Man Utd), Carragher (Liverpool), A Cole (Arsenal), Dawson (Tottenham), Ferdinand (Man Utd), G Neville (Man Utd), P Neville (Everton), Terry (capt, Chelsea), Young (Charlton).

Midfielders: Downing (Middlesbrough), Gerrard (Liverpool), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Jenas (Tottenham), Lampard (Chelsea), Lennon (Tottenham), Richardson (Man Utd), Wright-Phillips (Chelsea).

Strikers: Ashton (West Ham), Bent (Charlton), Crouch (Liverpool), Defoe (Tottenham).
dada

Postby Jing on Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:43 am

yeah i just read it on a chinese website... quite suprising... i do hope he'll be put back on maybe as a sub or something
Jing

Postby J@3 on Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:50 am

The only way I'll accept this as a good move is if it means Aaron Lennon gets that spot on the right side of midfield. If he was dumping players for poor form he'd have to get rid of Lampard and Gerrard first off, so there must be something more behind it.
J@3

Postby dada on Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:08 am

I actually thought Beckham didnt play that bad during the WC. He had a hand in the better portion of their World Cup goals and yes he doesnt dazzle with the ball at his feet but he does his thing (crossing balls etc) to the best of his abilities which I feel is still good enough to start for England at the moment. Jae's right, Lampard and Gerrard were pretty ineffective during the World Cup and were probably more deserving of being axed based on performance.

As I see it now, he just wants to make a bold statement to the English public that there is a new era and axing Beckham doesnt seem like a move with any substance behind it. Probably just his ego saying hey, I'm king shit so I do what I watch me make this move you cant do nothing about. Wanting to leave a mark.
dada

Postby J@3 on Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:39 am

It does seem that way, I mean even if Beckham's playing badly he can still win a game for them with a free kick or whatever (which he actually did once or twice in the WC). I'd have him in the team somewhere, and if Lampard/Gerrard continue to play like shit I'd be tempted to throw Beckham into a central midfield role like he plays at Real Madrid.
J@3

Postby #12 on Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:15 am

last 10 minutes of the barcelona game

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D-DtjM9oIhQ

Postby dada on Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:40 pm

Group headed by Browns owner buys Aston Villa

LONDON -- English Premier League team Aston Villa agreed to a $118.8 million takeover Monday by a group led by Cleveland Browns owner Randy Lerner.

Lerner's group, Reform Acquisitions Ltd., offered $10.37 per Aston Villa share, the principals involved in the deal announced to the London Stock Exchange. That represents a premium of about 47 percent over the closing price on Sept. 16, 2005, the last day before the beginning of the offer period.

"It is my belief and the basis for my bid to acquire Aston Villa Football Club that it can compete at the highest level within the Premiership and in Europe," Lerner said.

Lerner, former chairman of credit card company MBNA, would be the second U.S. National Football League owner to buy a Premier League club.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers owner Malcolm Glazer purchased Manchester United in 2005, sparking protests by fans worried Glazer would be more devoted to making money than to winning.

The board of Aston Villa recommended the transaction to shareholders, and said owners of 56.85 percent of shares had already committed to the deal.

Villa chairman Doug Ellis, who has owned the club since 1982 and has a 39 percent stake, put the club up for sale a year ago.

"It has been my sincere pleasure to have been involved with Aston Villa these many years, both as chairman and as a substantial shareholder," Ellis said. "The club has been an enormous and immensely enjoyable part of my life."
dada

Postby J@3 on Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:54 pm

Great news, Doug Ellis has been seriously pissing me off for years (I'm an Aston Villa fan btw unfortunately). Now with O'Neil in charge and a new owner, hopefully it'll signal some changes.
J@3

Postby Jing on Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:00 am

sweet. now that guy can ruin another franchise.

The Browns are absolutely trash, hopefully his shitty influence wont affect Aston Villa that much.
Jing

Postby Srbija on Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:34 pm

Jae an Aston Villa fan ? Never would've thought. :lol:
Srbija
Jayceon Taylor ™

Postby J@3 on Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:10 am

Yeah, my great grandad used to play for them so I have no choice. My dad's an Inter fan so I follow them also.

Just finished watching Arsenal vs Aston Villa, was kinda boring really and Arsenal shit me. They probably could've scored 8 if they weren't so scared of shooting. On the plus side, Theo Walcott made his debut and set up Gilberto's goal, oh, and Aston Villa managed to draw 1-1 :mrgreen:
Anyways, random thoughts...

Arsenal:
Hleb looked great in patches, his long range passing is incredible.
Eboue wasted everything and anything that came to him.
Henry looked out of step and didn't really do much at all.
Adebayor or whatever it is should've had three goals.
Djourou or whatever is no Sol Campbell.
Hoyte is fairly useless, I'm guessing Gael Clichy is injured.

Aston Villa:
Angel is fat and lazy, did sweet fuck all.
Agbonlahor is AWESOME... when he gets the ball. If this guy plays week in/week out he'll have all sorts of clubs after him.
Gareth Barry has to stay, but Davis can go. Apparentely he was injured though.
I like the idea of having 3 up front with the 2 fast guys (Agbonlahor/Moore) on either side, but it'd work better with Baros.
They barely had any possession so it's hard to gauge anything apart from the fact that they fought to the death the whole match, but I'm not sold on Sorensen.
J@3

Postby dada on Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:38 am

Walcott hasnt been too shabby recently. First a goal in his junior England debut and now setting up a girl for Arsenal. Must do alot for his confidence.

edit: Mna, British fans are a funny breed. Was just watching a highlight show and while a guy was taking a PK a fan shouted clear on the broadcast "Hey, you got a dildo up your ass!!". :lol:
dada

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic