Random GTA Talk Thread

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Postby Jeffx on Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:56 am

Jing wrote:Been on a GTA3 rampage lately, figured before GTA IV i'd revisit Liberty.

Sucks not being able to ride bikes or get out of cars while they are moving, but its still mad fun.

You can always play LCS. It's more linear than GTA3, but it's still fun.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:29 pm

Jing wrote:Been on a GTA3 rampage lately, figured before GTA IV i'd revisit Liberty.

Sucks not being able to ride bikes or get out of cars while they are moving, but its still mad fun.

I've found myself doing the same thing in between attempting to advance in the other GTAs, to the point of starting a new GTA3 game yesterday.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
45? That's a bad luck number!
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:09 pm

Even though SA is my favorite game, GTA3's Liberty City is my favorite map. I guess it reminds me of home.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:19 pm

From what we've seen so far, how close would you say GTA IV's Liberty City comes to representing the city that inspired it? I only spent a few days in New York last year but I recognised a couple of buildings and landmarks in some of the screenshots that looked like pretty faithful representations of the real thing.
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Klayface on Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:25 am

The game looks amazing, I really can't wait for it to come out. I just hope the graphics during game play are as brilliant as the screenshots.

What do you call a power forward that averages 7 rebounds?
A small forward.
Klayface

Postby Andrew on Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:34 am

I wouldn't think they'd be any worse. Of course, I find it hard to appreciate the finer details of the scenery when I'm trying to weave through traffic to avoid cops/get to an objective on time.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:34 am

Andrew wrote:I wouldn't think they'd be any worse. Of course, I find it hard to appreciate the finer details of the scenery when I'm trying to weave through traffic to avoid cops/get to an objective on time.

i usually wonder around the map for ever it seems just learning everything. the streets, main locations, shortcuts, best places to get away, and so forth. i do this prior to doing a single mission(unless its required to actually start the game). best way for me has been the taxi missions. great way to learn the main streets before going off on my own to find the other little things. while i am doing all that i tend to take in the games visuals which was not so great graphic wise in the other games but they sure do put alot of humor into thier maps
Sauru

Postby Jeffx on Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:50 am

Andrew wrote:From what we've seen so far, how close would you say GTA IV's Liberty City comes to representing the city that inspired it? I only spent a few days in New York last year but I recognised a couple of buildings and landmarks in some of the screenshots that looked like pretty faithful representations of the real thing.

It's f-cking sick, man. From everything I've seen, GTAIV Liberty City is MUCH closer to the real NYC than the GTA3 version(only certain areas resembled NYC).
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:12 pm

Sauru wrote:i usually wonder around the map for ever it seems just learning everything. the streets, main locations, shortcuts, best places to get away, and so forth. i do this prior to doing a single mission(unless its required to actually start the game). best way for me has been the taxi missions. great way to learn the main streets before going off on my own to find the other little things. while i am doing all that i tend to take in the games visuals which was not so great graphic wise in the other games but they sure do put alot of humor into thier maps

Taxi missions are definitely great for learning the map and points of interest (and traditionally the best shortcuts), not to mention building up some cash early in the game...especially in the games where the early missions don't give you a lot of money. GTA3 was pretty generous in that regard.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:08 am

anyone here read the articles on IGn about gta4? the history of grand theft auto was a good read for me as it pointed out alot of things i didnt know. like the fact nintendo could have basically owned all the gta games if they just accepted it as a game and didnt tell them it was too violent. i wonder if in hindsight they regret that?

the article actually about GTA4 is a pretty good read also
Sauru

Postby [Q] on Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:38 am

probably not, I'm sure Nintendo has other ways of making money. they're happy retaining their clean-cut image. It would be like if Disney picked up a bunch of movies that are rated R or something.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Sauru on Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:10 am

good point, i am sure they are happy with what they got, but consider this. if they owned the gta series would sony even be around today in the console market? maybe yes and maybe no, the chances for being no go way up though. its probably good for us all that it didnt happen that way cause if nintendo beat out sony then the xbox probably nevwer would have came out and nintendo would still own the market and i might be forced to play that stupid ass wii :D
Sauru

Postby Jeffx on Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:12 pm

Andrew wrote:
Sauru wrote:i usually wonder around the map for ever it seems just learning everything. the streets, main locations, shortcuts, best places to get away, and so forth. i do this prior to doing a single mission(unless its required to actually start the game). best way for me has been the taxi missions. great way to learn the main streets before going off on my own to find the other little things. while i am doing all that i tend to take in the games visuals which was not so great graphic wise in the other games but they sure do put alot of humor into thier maps

Taxi missions are definitely great for learning the map and points of interest (and traditionally the best shortcuts), not to mention building up some cash early in the game...especially in the games where the early missions don't give you a lot of money. GTA3 was pretty generous in that regard.

Yep, taxi missions are great when you're just starting a game. It's critical to know where the Pay 'n' Sprays are, along with a few bribe stars. I buy the game books to learn the locations of my favorite weapons.
Jeffx

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:34 am

Sauru wrote:nintendo would still own the market and i might be forced to play that stupid ass wii

I don't know, beating up people in-game sounds like fun using the Wii-mote.
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby benji on Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:42 am

Scarface? The Godfather? Bully?

No More Heroes...

Who would want GTA, when Prime 3, Galaxy and such are available to play?

Although GTA4 will be a game to play because of one thing: flying through the windshield into the water to escape police.
benji

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:42 pm

Jeffx wrote:Yep, taxi missions are great when you're just starting a game. It's critical to know where the Pay 'n' Sprays are, along with a few bribe stars. I buy the game books to learn the locations of my favorite weapons.

I bought the guide for San Andreas but usually I just grab a few of the guides off GameFAQs.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:35 am

Andrew wrote:
Jeffx wrote:Yep, taxi missions are great when you're just starting a game. It's critical to know where the Pay 'n' Sprays are, along with a few bribe stars. I buy the game books to learn the locations of my favorite weapons.

I bought the guide for San Andreas but usually I just grab a few of the guides off GameFAQs.

i bought the GTASA guide also but only cause the store had some special where it only costed 5 bucks if you preordered. i usually also get the guides from gamefaqs though i try to find out most of the stuff for myself. i actually got 100% in gta 3 without any guides but needed them for gtasa(damn oysters)
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:43 am

Same reason I bought it. I've noticed EB Games tends to make deals like that.

Meanwhile, I picked up the PC versions of GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas off eBay fairly cheaply, mostly for a bit of fun but also to try out some mods.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Fitzy on Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:56 am

what do you guys rekon the best GTA-like GTA alternative is?

Games like scarface and just cause spring to mind for me, i loved just cause when i first got it, but it got boring very quick
Fitzy

Postby JaoSming on Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:23 am

Saints Row for be just because of the ragdoll physics
Opinions are my own.
Right Click Loop
phpBB [video]

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8ozxhwwmz4LJzpGAj22T5qa0ZVFBJ3yw

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Sauru on Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:53 am

i will second saints row
Sauru

Postby hammertime23 on Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:40 pm

yeah i played some saints row tonight and it was great. i already beat the game so now i just get 3 homies and fuck up the po-po.
hammertime23

Postby BIG GREEN on Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:22 pm

You guys obviously haven't played "mafia"....came out in 2002. That was simply the best gta-style game other than vice city and san andreas...period. It was everything that "The godfather" video game wishes it was in every way including graphically...even though it was 4 years older. The story was totally fucking emersive and unpredictable. That game goes down as my 3 fav game of all time behind san andreas and kotor. Mafia 2 is due out either late this year or early next year...look for that.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/mafia ... lt;title;0
A big fan of the emerald hue and much higher state of being/
Yohance "thug" Bailey on the scene...now known as Big Green/
BIG GREEN

Postby benji on Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:42 pm

I wouldn't say the story was unpredictable. It is superior to the Grand Theft Auto series because of the story however.

Provided you aren't trying to do the racing part prior to the patch however...

And nobody mentions Crackdown?
benji

Postby Heiks on Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:37 pm

BIG GREEN wrote:You guys obviously haven't played "mafia"....came out in 2002. That was simply the best gta-style game other than vice city and san andreas...period. It was everything that "The godfather" video game wishes it was in every way including graphically...even though it was 4 years older. The story was totally fucking emersive and unpredictable. That game goes down as my 3 fav game of all time behind san andreas and kotor. Mafia 2 is due out either late this year or early next year...look for that.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/mafia ... lt;title;0

Amen. Mafia was an amazing game.
Give respect, get respect.
Heiks

Postby Pdub on Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:34 pm

That game was awesome. Run a red light in front of a cop? Get pulled over and receive a ticket or try to outrun their ass.
Pdub
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:01 pm

That wouldn't really be suitable for GTA though. As the missions become more difficult (especially those with a time limit), it's pretty much impossible not to drive like a maniac to accomplish the objectives.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Matthew on Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:38 pm

Crackdown is amongst my favourite games on the 360, with gears and halol 3.
Matthew

Postby Jeffx on Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:14 am

Andrew wrote:That wouldn't really be suitable for GTA though. As the missions become more difficult (especially those with a time limit), it's pretty much impossible not to drive like a maniac to accomplish the objectives.

See, that's why I prefer GTA. The lack of realism and offbeat humor Andrew mentioned earlier set GTA apart from those other games. If I want 100% realsim, I'll play something else.
Jeffx

Postby Sauru on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:15 am

i think i would get pissed off if every time i ran a red light, or went over the speed limit a cop tried to bust me. however i admit i never played mafia so maybe it works well and it would not bother me at all. still i will opt for the less realistic approach
Sauru

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:35 am

Jeffx wrote:The lack of realism and offbeat humor Andrew mentioned earlier set GTA apart from those other games. If I want 100% realsim, I'll play something else.

One could always go out and do it GTA style in real life.
shadowgrin

Postby Sauru on Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:48 am

shadowgrin wrote:
Jeffx wrote:The lack of realism and offbeat humor Andrew mentioned earlier set GTA apart from those other games. If I want 100% realsim, I'll play something else.

One could always go out and do it GTA style in real life.

i have those kind of thoughts every day on my way home from work. i just start thinking how fun it would be to floor it and drive into everyone until my car was busted up then jump out and snacth a new ride from the first sucker i see and do it all over again
Sauru

Postby benji on Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:59 am

It's statements like that that lead to:
Rockstar has produced an edited version of Grand Theft Auto IV for Australia in order to obtain an MA15+ rating.

The Office of Film and Literature Classification awarded the game an MA15+ rating on December 11 last year, advising consumers that the game contains "strong violence, strong coarse language, drug and sexual references".

A Rockstar spokesperson confirmed to Screen Play yesterday that the company had produced a special version of GTA IV to comply with the Australian classification system, which does not currently contain an R18+ rating, but declined to reveal what material had been cut.
benji

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:05 pm

Sucks for Australians. :lol:
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin

Postby Dan's Brain on Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:43 pm

We'll be shooting people with walkie-talkies probably :(
Dan's Brain
My Manwich!

Postby Sauru on Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:36 am

hey i consider gta my vent, so long as i can go home and murder innocent, and some not so innocent, people on a daily basis i wont go out and do it for real. see, gta is doing a great thing.
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:10 am

A Rockstar spokesperson confirmed to Screen Play yesterday that the company had produced a special version of GTA IV to comply with the Australian classification system, which does not currently contain an R18+ rating

Weird, the copy of San Andreas for the PC that I picked up on eBay (from an Australian seller) was rated 18+. Perhaps it's an imported copy.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby ixcuincle on Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:12 am

Foolish me completely forgot about this thread even though I've visited and even posted in it a few times...oh well. I saw on another forum today a preview of GTA IV multiplayer and it seems to be a lot of fun. Other than deathmatches , they include neat things such as races and "Cops and Robbers" mode. Unfortunately , I do not possess a next-gen console so I'll have to go get one , or wait for a PC port. :|
ixcuincle

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:31 am

As I said in that thread I'm still mostly an offline/single player but the variety in addition to the standard deathmatch does make multiplayer more appealing. Not that deathmatch play isn't fun but there's not much to it so it gets old fairly quickly in my opinion.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby ixcuincle on Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:48 pm

I'm hoping they bring back the classical stations. Several of the previous games such as GTA 3 had a classical radio station with opera and overtures , and they took them out from SA. Unfortunately , I never listened to the radio soundtrack when I was playing SA , but if they brought those stations back I'd listen all the time :|
ixcuincle

Postby -Young Buck- on Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:42 am

shadowgrin wrote:Sucks for Australians. :lol:

Thats pretty rude mr Pilipenis.
-Young Buck-

Postby Dan's Brain on Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:43 pm

Fathers are bonking their own daughters in this country. Do they really think we wouldnt be able to handle a bit of extra blood?
Dan's Brain
My Manwich!

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:15 pm

I've been playing GTA3 on the PC lately, I finally completed Level 12 of the ambulance missions. I've never had the patience to do it before but I've been focusing more on the side missions on this playthrough before going ahead with the story missions. I got up to about 17% completion before I attempted the second mission.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:45 pm

i do that with all gta games, i try to work on every single side mission that i can before i even start the story. like i have said before i tend to start with the taxi missions first followed by ambulance and vigalante. the ambulance was a bitch in vice city but easy as hell in GTASA.
Sauru

Postby Fitzy on Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:25 am

i remember getting to level 101 with the tank in the vigilante missions when i broke my arm back in the day
Fitzy

Postby Dan's Brain on Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:05 pm

You broke your arm because you got to level 101?

or you got to level 101 because you had too damn much time on your "hand"?
Dan's Brain
My Manwich!

Postby Fitzy on Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:37 pm

haha, i had too much time on my 'hands' when i broke my arm
Fitzy

Postby Sauru on Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:00 am

101 lol. that must have taken forever. i remember useing the heli to do the vigilante missions and they were really easy. infact i think i have always used a tank or heli to do them cause they were so hard with just a police car
Sauru

Postby Jeffx on Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:04 am

Andrew wrote:I've been playing GTA3 on the PC lately, I finally completed Level 12 of the ambulance missions. I've never had the patience to do it before but I've been focusing more on the side missions on this playthrough before going ahead with the story missions. I got up to about 17% completion before I attempted the second mission.

I do all the Vigilante missions so I'll have four bribe stars in my hideout when Shoreside Vale opens. Comes in handy during 'S.A.M'.

I love D-Ice's missions in Wichita Gardens. That place is totally thugged-out. :)
Jeffx

Postby [Q] on Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:45 am

Andrew wrote:
A Rockstar spokesperson confirmed to Screen Play yesterday that the company had produced a special version of GTA IV to comply with the Australian classification system, which does not currently contain an R18+ rating

Weird, the copy of San Andreas for the PC that I picked up on eBay (from an Australian seller) was rated 18+. Perhaps it's an imported copy.

must've been after all that publicity about the "hot coffee" thing came out.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic