Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:00 pm

Let's not forget that Big E was originally Big E Langston, either. In that respect, though, I think it was actually the right call.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:45 pm

Ah yes I forgot about Big E. Also Crews was removed and then reinstated in a weird turn of events.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:29 am

Would've been understandable if they condensed "Andrade's" name to be just "Cien Almas". Now part of me thinks that Lars Sullivan would end up just being "Sullivan."

Also, there are rumors that The Revival is requesting their release from WWE. Can't say I blame them if the rumors are true.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:09 am

With AEW launching, I definitely expect some badly used and underutilised talent to start asking out.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:57 am

Meanwhile, there are rumors spreading that Ronda would leave WWE after 'Mania.

In b4 she's going to AEW.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:45 am

It sounds like she wants to start a family, based on that YouTube video she did. Even if she's done as a full time talent after Wrestlemania, I expect she'll continue to work with WWE in some capacity thereafter.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:31 pm

If that's true and they go with the rumor of Becky and Ronda main eventing, looks like they'll put Becky over!

Prediction time!

NXT TAKEOVER: PHOENIX

Matt Riddle vs Kassius Ohno, probably via dirty finish or a botched interference from Keith Lee
Undisputed Era (c) vs War Raiders, probably via an Adam Cole distraction
Shayna Baszler (c) vs Bianca Belair; Bianca is good in-ring and this might be her career match but I don't see her taking the title off Shayna.
Ricochet (c) vs Johnny Gargano
Tomasso Ciampa (c) vs Aleister Black, with interference from Johnny Gargano

I haven't seen the past two episodes of NXT and I might binge it before Takeover, but I'm really unsure what to think of the Ricochet vs Gargano match. Sure it will be great, and Gargano in his promo said he's always wanted gold, but took a shot at Ciampa again. So that means his storyline is still intertwined with Ciampa. I can also see Johnny winning the NA title and then come out after Tomasso retains over black and celebrate, then say the schtick Ciampa told him in the Takeover where Ciampa turned on him ("this is our moment, now this is my moment), making Johnny a full-fledged face again. Then make the main event of the pre-Mania Takeover Gargano vs Ciampa title-for-title.

ROYAL RUMBLE 2019

Buddy Murphy (c) vs Kalisto vs Akira Tozawa vs Hideo Itami, shame that this is a kickoff show match.
Rusev (c) vs Shinsuke Nakamura; what happens to Shin after this is beyond me.
The Bar (c) vs Shane & Miz
Asuka (c) vs Becky Lynch; Asuka just won the title and having Becky lose this match would make her a "surprise entrant" in the Women's Rumble.
Ronda Rousey (c) vs Sasha Banks; I also predict that whoever wins the Women's Rumble would face Ronda instead of Asuka.
Daniel Bryan (c) vs AJ Styles; but then I don't think of anyone else facing Bryan for the title at WrestleMania.
Brock Lesnar (c) vs Finn Balor; come on, WWE. Give us what we want.
Women's Royal Rumble: Past Smackdown episodes seem to be glaring at a potential triple threat with Charlotte, Becky, and a women's champion but hopefully that's just a diversion because I really want WWE to capitalize on Becky Lynch's hot status now.
Men's Royal Rumble: Unless Braun is cleared, it's a toss-up between Drew McIntyre and Seth Rollins for me.

So it's going to be at least 7 hours of wrestling this weekend.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:13 pm

I'm inclined to agree across the board, though I think sadly, Brock's going over. To do so would add actual intrigue to the match and genuinely do something different, and despite WWE saying all the right things, I don't think they're fully committed to taking that chance.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:19 pm

Yeah, if they're really doing this to build Strowman up, they'd probably have a Brock-Braun main event for Wrestlemania.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:24 pm

They'd probably put Brock over there, too. I know it's all too easy to bash WWE and their booking with hyperbolic declarations, but I do feel like their handling of Lesnar has played a role in the declining ratings and quality of the product, and damaged it for years to come as well. As noted many times before, the predictability and repetitiveness of his booking has made the product stale, and so many people who should be solidified in the main event scene come off second rate as a result of being dominated by him. Whatever short term benefits he's had in terms of money or the occasional ratings spike, I do believe he's been the worst thing about the company in recent years, and it's left them in rough shape as far as getting anyone else over.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:13 am

Not too excited for NXT as the show itself hasn't been the best as of late. Not sure why. No velveteen?

I'm hoping Hideo pulls it out but Buddy is retaining.

I too have no idea what they're doing with Nakamura. Perhaps a brand switch is coming after mania?

Having Becky lose early then win the rumble was something I didn't think about but I'd say that's a good idea. They can't not let their hottest star sit out the rumble.

As much as I'd like Finn to win (he never lost his belt) that's not happening.

Seth Rollins wins to face Brock at Mania.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:24 am

The crazy rumour about Becky that's making the rounds is that she might win the Smackdown title AND the Women's Rumble, and use that as a way of setting up Champion vs. Champion with Ronda at Wrestlemania. That would certainly be different, but it would probably be a bit much.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:57 am

Actually, that would be pretty epic, but it does take a title match away from Asuka and Carmella or whoever they throw in there. I'd say Carmella is a dark horse to be in the title picture as she is a former champion and she's done really well as of late with Truth

I'd say there's still a good chance Becky loses the title match, wins the rumble, and Charlotte inserts herself into a triple threat. The only thing is that is does move Becky to raw so unless they really want to do that they might do the double champ or "champ champ" as it's been popularized now in the UFC to keep her on SD. Or hell, if they have the tag champs do both shows they might have Becky appear on both too
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:08 am

That is the issue with Becky challenging for and winning the RAW title; I'd rather she stay on Smackdown, as I think she'll get lost in the shuffle on RAW. It may be considered the A Show, but in terms of quality, it's been the B Show for a long time.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:12 pm

Yeah with all the "hot blondes" on raw, she'd get lost for sure. Too many people they want to push. SD was definitely the land of opportunity as Naomi and Carmella (and Alexa) won the title when no one really thought they would
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:42 pm

The fact that RAW has an extra hour and people still get lost in the shuffle speaks volumes about how messy the writing and booking is.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:30 am

Damn, that Ricochet-Gargano match.

I'm 0/3 in Takeover predictions. :lol:
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:45 pm

Got the predictions for the NXT and NXT Women's title matches correct.

And we also got another "post-credits scene" when Johnny Gargano went back out on the ramp with his newly-won title to raise it side-by-side with Tomasso Ciampa's raising of his title. Looks like heel DIY is now a go!

Good show, but I think last year's pre-Royal Rumble Takeover show was better. Best match of the show was definitely Ricochet vs Gargano.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:14 pm

Yup Ricochet and Johnny had a great match. I skipped all the ones before it.

Shayna got a legitimate lashing from Bianca's hair lol

R Truth & Jack swagger in action tonight as well!
https://twitter.com/BellatorMMA/status/1089365069463539714
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:53 am

Cool for Swagger to still use the "We The People" gimmick!

So what could the Gargano-Ciampa storyline go from here? I always thought that Johnny would finally beat Ciampa for the main title at the Takeover before Mania.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:09 pm

Called correctly on everything apart from the Universal Title results.

I completely missed the Asuka-Becky and SD Tag Title matches and started about 2/3 the Ronda-Sasha match. I thought the bait at the women's rumble match with Lana coming out injured was well-played.

So now Becky and Rollins won their rumble matches, I think that Becky goes to Raw to challenge Ronda and Rollins go to Smackdown to challenge Bryan. That way Strowman still gets to face Brock and Bryan gets a new credible challenger apart from Rollins because I think there's nobody else on Smackdown aside from AJ that's in the main event title picture.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:36 pm

Hmm interesting idea of Rollins going to SD. They had seemed so hell bent on pushing him as a main guy (especially with Reigns gone), a move to SD seems to go against that. Plus they don't seem to be sold on Braun.

I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of action in the women's rumble. Unlike the first one where it was a bunch of guest appearances and no wrestling whatsoever, this one featured quite a bit of in ring action. LMAO at them trying to feature Lacey Evans only to have her botch the hell out of the beginning. It's a shame they chose to showcase the new "hot blonde" on the block over experienced talent like Nikki Cross

I was disappointed at first with the men's rumble because I thought they'd have a bunch of throwaway one off appearances but I was pleasantly surprised they dug deep into their depth of talent and utilized guys like Gargano and Dunne and Ali who all did really well. There's just so much talent in the company I think they'll need to make NXT a 3rd touring brand because they won't have anywhere to really develop young inexperienced talent
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:42 pm

Lean wrote:So now Becky and Rollins won their rumble matches, I think that Becky goes to Raw to challenge Ronda and Rollins go to Smackdown to challenge Bryan. That way Strowman still gets to face Brock and Bryan gets a new credible challenger apart from Rollins because I think there's nobody else on Smackdown aside from AJ that's in the main event title picture.

Definitely an interesting idea, but I reckon they'll keep Rollins on RAW and have him challenge Brock. And hopefully, go over.

The Man winning was the right way to go.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:55 pm

btw, the match of the night was the cruiserweights on the preshow lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:48 pm

Yeah, I missed the Cruiserweight match too. My eyes gave out (it's like 6 am here when the pre-show started) and went to sleep instead.

And yeah should Rollins stay on Raw, it's really better to have him beat Brock for the title and actually have a world champion on Raw that's a full-time guy. After seeing Brock's match earlier, it just reminded me of how tired I am of seeing him put on the marquee despite not appearing on TV regularly.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic