Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Postby [Q] on Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:13 am

So there are rumors they are shutting down after Mania due to the restrictions on filming so who knows if they will run the after Mania stuff they filmed

They will probably show reruns of old stuff (they basically were doing that for the past couple weeks anyways) but I guess this is the best time if any to take a break
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:20 am

It'll be weird to finally have an offseason in WWE, but good for the wrestlers indeed.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:17 pm

So, Day 1 of Wrestlemania was pretty good. I thought the correct winners won, and there was some good action all around.

The Boneyard Match was a worthy main event, and one of the most entertaining things with The Undertaker...well, ever. I'll still take his best matches that are actually matches over it, but it was well-produced nevertheless. I'm not someone who prefers Biker Taker to the Deadman gimmick, but I still liked the ABA/Big Evil runs, and this was a good mix of "The Unholy Trinity" that he mentioned in his promo. Yes, it wasn't without a bit of cheese, but in a fun B-movie type of way; like most wrestling mini-movies of this nature. I think a regular match would've turned out alright and possibly even been a fitting send-off, but this was great, a lot of fun.

I'm also looking forward to that "Last Ride" documentary series. It's cool to see Taker break character on WWE programming, and do these behind-the-scenes interviews and documentaries.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:30 am

I was reading that it was entertaining so I will give it a watch. Was going to watch the ladder match too when I had time to sit and watch them in their entirety

Also I got 3/4 predictions right, though I am regretting my Shayna pick which in hindsight was a bit ambitious having her unseat the #1 woman Babyface in the company. My quick Goldberg loss was spot on. Hopefully the other picks work out and I win some cash
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:29 am

I wanted Becky to win, but I could see it going either way. I'd say it was the right call.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Lean on Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:04 pm

Damn, I thought I wouldn't be entertained by Wrestlemania, but it was excellent for what it was. The Funhouse and Boneyard matches were both fantastic.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby kidhybrid89 on Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:15 pm

Just noticed this forum has a pro wrestling section. lol. Hi fellow wrestling nerds :)
kidhybrid89

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:02 pm

Welcome! Our off-topic section isn't as busy as it once was, but it's here whenever we feel like taking a break from basketball video games and real basketball talk, as we do here with wrestling. :)

Speaking of which, WWE just made a bunch of cuts including some prominent names, producers, and referee Mike Chioda, who's been with the company for 30 years. Kurt Angle, Luke Gallows, Karl Anderson, Rusev, Heath Slater, Curt Hawkins, Zack Ryder, and Sarah Logan are among the releases. The writer for the Mandy/Otis/Sonya/Dolph storyline has also been fired, so that's probably going to revert to typical miserable WWE writing and booking now.

Needless to say, WWE is taking some heat from it, especially after a donation to a Super PAC helped grease the wheels to keep them up and running as "essential".
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:51 am

More bad news: WWE Hall of Famer Howard Finkel passes away

He was only 69, but I'd previously read that he'd been in poor health for some time. Sad news in a week that's already been tough. Truly a legendary voice. RIP, Fink.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:20 am

Chioda was a surprise because I haven't noticed him on TV for a while. Maybe he's been doing backstage stuff or he was like these other wrestlers they let go: basically not using them but holding onto them so they don't go anywhere else

Gallows and Anderson were a little surprising but they're not really needed as AJ is the star there.

Drake Maverick was a bit of a surprise because they just announced him as a wrestler for NXT so it seemed like they had plans for him. He released an emotional video

And that is basically how American politics works. Money is the only thing that matters in politics so whoever's got it gets their way.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:48 am

Drake Maverick's video was heartbreaking. He's either agreed to work some extra dates, or he's offering a reason for why he'll appear in something that's pre-taped. Either way, total pro and a class act.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:19 pm

I wasn't really a fan of his but I am really interested to see how he does to impress potential employers
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:56 pm

I thought he did some great stuff with the 24/7 title. They ran it into the ground, but it was entertaining at first.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:14 am

I actually started to like him after his recent work doing promos for Woods and Breeze's GM mode on up up down down lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:49 am

That has been an entertaining series. UUDD is always a good time anyway, but I like what they've done with Season 2, adding current wrestlers to the old game and getting them to cut promos.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:45 am

They already had to edit the show to remove Harper, I wonder if the Corporation will allow use of No Way Jose, Revival, Drake, etc. EC3 seems like there would be an issue because I don't think that's WWE property. The others I could imagine them allowing since those names are WWE's
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:32 pm

Yeah, that's going to be a bit awkward.

Meanwhile, the Mandy and Sonya segment from Smackdown was great. That storyline continues to be well done, here's hoping it maintains that quality. Sonya's double entendre probably caught a few people off-guard.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Lean on Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:52 am

[Q] wrote:They already had to edit the show to remove Harper...

Was this in the current run of Battle of the Brands? I didn't notice.

It's a shame that people were released while there's a crisis going on. Anderson and Gallows may be hinting on a New Japan return, which I think would only make sense. Rowan I imagine would go to AEW to join Brodie Lee in the Dark Order, which I am all for, but then again if there's anything to critique about AEW, is the jabs they throw towards WWE.

Drake's video on Twitter was heartbreaking, and I agree that his circumcision feud with Gulak on UUDD is hilarious. I wonder what's gonna happen to that series going forward, but I feel sorry for the editors that would re-edit them again to cut those guys out.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:54 am

There's probably a chance at least a few of them will be brought back to WWE, if they're still available and willing when the time comes.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:48 am

Yeah I could see them bringing some people back once things are back to normal

Harper was edited out of the draft episode they did for season 2. They replaced with No Way Jose.
At the time Harper was still under contract but it was obvious he was trying to leave
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby kidhybrid89 on Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:23 pm

I don't mind the backstage or more creative stuff but it's hard watching wrestlers walk out and do poses in front of nobody. Makes it all look extra silly.
kidhybrid89

Postby [Q] on Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:26 am

It is weird, especially when they're doing promos but pause for audience reaction out of habit lol

TBH I haven't really watched much except some NXT stuff since the quarantine

To me it feels like we are seeing the same people every week but they seem to be missing some of the bigger names and are simply using those that are local or willing to fly in only
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:15 pm

The IIconics are local and eager to return judging by their social media posts, yet are being kept off TV. Maybe they turned down some sleazy angle and are being punished for it.

I think WWE and AEW are doing their best, but pro wrestling is obviously live theatre as much as anything else, so it does lose a certain something without crowds.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue May 12, 2020 11:11 am

Big announcement on Raw tonight.

Becky announces she is pregnant and is relinquishing the title and the MITB match last night was actually for the belt. Asuka is the new champion. I think she legitimately found out on camera about the pregnancy so that could've been a real reaction from her as she broke character. I think it's a good time to do it as she had gone a bit stale (and hasn't really defended or shown up much) and has done as much as she could have in the company. Happy for her and hopes that she makes a ton of money with the bit of celebrity she's built for herself. I hope she doesn't come back (unless she really wants to) so she can enjoy motherhood.

On another note, the MITB matches at some point had generic rock background music to break the silence and it reminded me of the old Smackdown games lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue May 12, 2020 8:31 pm

Congratulations to Becky and Seth! Big news, and the way they announced it was cool. I agree that it seemed like Asuka didn't know beforehand and kind of broke character on that one. Pretty much everyone in the company has broken character on social media in the wake of the news, which is pretty cool to see.

I've enjoyed Becky's reign. I think it's suffered from a lack of viable challengers, and that speaks to WWE's booking as much as anything else. Still way more interesting than Brock's reigns though, both in terms of character work and matches. Hell of a run for her.

Some entertaining stuff in the MITB matches. They're making the most of the situation. AJ Styles and Daniel Bryan fighting their way into Vince's office, profusely apologising and fixing up the chairs, was definitely a highlight. Otis winning is a surprise, but adds to what's been one of the best angles over the past few months.

Oh, and look who's back!

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic