Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Postby Lean on Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:10 pm

That's one thing I don't understand about Graves' commentary, it's like he's just heeling up to those who he doesn't like. Back in NXT he was straight-up how the traditional heel commentator sounds like, favoring Sasha over Bayley from the 2015 Takeover Brooklyn event.

Andrew wrote:So much for all that Sasha to AEW talk! :lol:

Yeah! :lol: Same thing with Gallows and Anderson recently. :lol:
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:20 pm

I've never understood the praise he gets, though opinion may be turning. It's been getting worse and worse in my view, though his brand of shouty, inconsistent heel colour commentator admittedly began with JBL. As far as commentary is concerned, this may be the worst decade in WWF/WWE history.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:00 am

On that note, I'd like to have Percy Watson back on NXT and replace Beth Phoenix. I thought Mauro Ranallo, Nigel McGuiness, and Percy were the perfect combo in NXT.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:06 am

Speaking of selling, holy hell that Claymore on Cedric Alexader on Raw
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:23 pm

NXT is reportedly going to USA Network and will be 2 hours long -- going head to head with AEW's Wednesday Night Dynamite. Rumors also say that Vince will have his grubby hands on NXT now it's going to mainstream TV. GOD, I HOPE NOT.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:19 pm

Vince having more of a hand in NXT is definitely cause for concern. Hoping for the best there, but recent history is not encouraging.

On the other hand, RAW has been decent lately. The brewing Becky-Sasha feud is starting out with some great promos from both of them. As long as they don't crown King Corbin, King of the Ring is an opportunity to give someone a push. I'm wistful that The IIconics didn't get the kind of booking that Bliss-Cross are getting and it seems like no one knows if the latter are faces, heels, tweeners, or what, but I still have hope for the division (and my favourite duo therein). The RAW tag title change was a bit unnecessary, but perhaps it'll make sense in the long run if it leads to a Strowman-Rollins feud over the Universal Championship. They've missed a lot of opportunities with Braun, but it's not too late for him to have a brief title run.

Meanwhile, went to a local show (Newcastle Pro Wrestling) on the weekend. It was the fifth annual Newy Pro Rumble, and it was a pretty damn good show from top to bottom. Mike Quackenbush, the founder of Chikara, was a guest and ended up wrestling in a 4v4 tag match that was absolutely wild. Great atmosphere, I'll definitely be going to more shows. A few photos from my Twitter:

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:06 am

Awesome seat to be in, Andrew!

There's a Smackdown show this coming September 20th, and I haven't got any tickets yet. Card seems to be weaker than the Raw show we had in 2016. I'm just looking forward to an Elias promo:

I guess the first few two-hour episodes after Takeover would still be from the recent taped episodes, but I'm really anxious what comes after that. Would it come later to the Network like Raw and Smackdown (which is annoying, to be honest, being behind by a month)? Would Vince really take over HHH and HBK and the Performance Center coaches?
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:21 am

Yeah it was a good spot. It's a small venue so that was actually the back row, right next to the entrance way. The ring announcer was actually sitting behind us, so that was kind of cool. Also one of those "secrets of wrestling exposed!" moments, as he was the one starting a lot of the slow claps when a face was trying to battle out of a submission hold. He was a good announcer, too. As I said, I'm keen to go back. It's also got me even more excited for the WWE show in Sydney this October, but the local scene is hot right now.

I can't imagine Vince will be that hands on with all the training and recruitment and so forth, but I can see him meddling with some of the booking and angles, which is bad enough.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:57 am

Is Seth the universal champion too? I think they stuck the belt on him so he could be Sethy 2 Belts or whatever
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby bigh0rt on Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:55 am

This is I believe the 3rd time he's held multiple titles (World & US as a heel, and Universal and Tag with the absent Ambrose).

That's great that NXT is coming to USA. I think I'm more likely to tune in there than I am on WWE Network, for their weekly show. Hopefully there's minimal meddling from Vince. Seems like a great business move to put it opposite AEW's show as competition.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:24 am

I'm torn about NXT because much like the old Monday Night Raw shows from the 90s, you just didn't see people every week so it's a treat whenever Velveteen Dream or your favorite wrestler is on. In order to fill the time, will they have the bigger stars show up every week or will they show more development talent?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby zzcoolj21 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:12 am

Headed to All Out next weekend. Really excited to see a Kenny Omega match in person after watching new japan for the past 4 years. I'm very worried that the expectation is a CM Punk appearance and when it inevitably doesn't happen people will be disappointed.

but if he does show up that would be cool...
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby [Q] on Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:03 am

Where is it at? Ohio?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:14 am

Punk showing up in AEW would be something. All Out is in Chicago, so I imagine the reaction would be insane.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby zzcoolj21 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:14 pm

He's going to be on AEW's starrcast thing with his own panel that weekend. It's not out of the realm of possibility.
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:32 am

phpBB [video]
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:46 am

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:40 pm

If you're going to do it, do it right

https://youtu.be/iAzbVO7ZVLg?t=19
phpBB [video]
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Lean on Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:41 am

Bought tickets for the Smackdown show on the 20th. Still hoping for an Elias promo.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:11 am

Nice!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:13 am

In Aussie wrestling news, the legendary Madison Eagles has returned to action, and looks as badass as ever. Hope she makes it up here for some Newy Pro shows.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:07 pm

Great Firefly Funhouse segment this week. Pretty much confirms the rumor that The Fiend will make an appearance at Hell in a Cell.

phpBB [video]

Also,BAYLEY TURNS HEEL!
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:10 pm

I've got high hopes for The 4 Horsewomen moving forward, though three of them being heels does throw the balance off. Nevertheless, I'm interested in seeing what happens next, and I can't say that's been a constant with WWE's programming for some time now.

I have mixed feelings about The Fiend. He needs to look strong, but I don't think the character in its current state should be the Universal Champion. Right now we have a great first chapter with The Fiend, but we saw that with previous incarnations of Bray Wyatt as well. Remaining interesting and relevant after the initial shock value and coolness factor wears off is the key.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:32 pm

I for one am excited if Bayley changes her entrance.

I feel that they're rushing The Fiend to the main event picture, so I'm hoping that what the Funhouse segment was referring to was just an appearance at Hell in a Cell and not be involved in the title match.

I gave Takeover: Cardiff a watch, and boy what a show. That main event, 40+ minutes of pro wrestling!
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:01 am

It's definitely too soon, and there's no good way they can go with it. He either wins the title and it wrecks the main event scene, or they have him lose and he likewise loses his mystique. As you said though, it might just be him making an appearance and interfering, but if it's a title match...yeah, I just don't know about that.

A new entrance would make sense for Bayley. Her current one, and her theme, don't seem like they would fit a heel version of her character.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic