Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Postby Null17 on Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:36 pm

And to think the WWE has all these Hollywood writers on the creative team and they rarely come up with a good storyline let alone one that's not predictable

On the subject of Eddie:

On last night’s edition of RAW, Triple H used Eddie’s name to create more heat in his current storyline. In the future WWE’s Creative team will be using Eddie to stimulate more heat in storylines.

The angle when Orton used Eddie lowrider to drive Taker through the Smackdown! set got a similar reaction...sucks for Orton

On last night’s edition of RAW, Triple H used Eddie’s name to create more heat in his current storyline. In the future WWE’s Creative team will be using Eddie to stimulate more heat in storylines.
Null17

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:42 am

I don't usually get overly sensitive about things like that but in this case I think that's just disrespectful. In a sense it cheapens the wonderful tribute shows they did for Eddie right after his death because right now the company doesn't come off as looking like they care too much about his death, rather it's just another way to make money and further the storylines.

The problem with the creative team? With McMahon around, they all have to be Yes Men. Anybody who dares speak out against an idea seems to be let go, mocked or bullied into resignation or simply ignored.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby J@3 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:49 am

It's so strange watching the ECW PPV and hearing them talk about all of the great fueds the wrestlers had, all of the long title runs and whatever... then thinking about the fact that they rarely had major storylines like the WWE, they didn't rely on corny gimmicks or disrespecting someone's memory to gain viewer appreciation. The WWE's got virtually the World's best wrestling talent at their disposal, yet they waste it all by turning the company into a 5th grade stage production.
J@3

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:15 am

The focus has shifted away from wrestling. Obviously storylines are important because without them, it's just a bunch of people pretending to hurt one another. But Vinnie Mac seems more preoccupied with the entertainment aspect of sports entertainment, or so I read.

I read a good example of that lately at Rajah's, a report that Joey Styles has been catching some heat because his commentary focuses too much on the wrestling (even daring to call moves by their real names!) and not putting over the storylines. That's important too of course and part of his job but he shouldn't be criticised for actually trying to make the matches seem important instead of the storylines and comedy filler, a lot of which is rather poorly done these days.

Apparently some backstage used to laugh at Jim Ross for doing the same thing, though JR was better at selling the storylines.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:31 pm

:roll: one day they'll learn.

I've actually found myself not bothering to watch WWE anymore. I've walked out of the room early on the last two or three RAWs, and one of the SmackDown! episodes as well. The Guerrero-Mysterio angle was extremely well done, both because it had a good storyline, and two wrestlers who could really put on a good match together in the ring. I ordered the Great American Bash last year purely for the Eddie-Rey matchup. Now, I'm not even watching the free stuff. What happened to HBK-Angle? That could have been a good feud, given some more time. And Mark Henry....well, don't even get me started.
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:48 am

WWE is probably trying to get their money's worth out of Henry, seeing as though they signed him to that ridiculous 10 year, $10 million contract back in 1996. Hopefully this is just a last ditch effort to use him successfully and he won't be retained once his contract is up. Or if he is, at a much lower cost and without a main event push.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jugs on Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:53 pm

Holy crap, 10mil for 10 years for that... thing. Sheesh. He isn't a really good wrestler (from what i've seen), just a strong mofo
Jugs

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:53 pm

Exactly right. No one can question his strength but his wrestling and promo skills are severely limited.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Isaiah on Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:15 pm

Andrew wrote:Exactly right. No one can question his strength but his wrestling and promo skills are severely limited.
agreed

http://isaiahpcruz.multiply.com
Click the sig for my blog! Includes NBA analysis, etc.
Isaiah

Location: Metro Manila, Philippines (born in Los Angeles, CA)

Postby Null17 on Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:20 pm

Andrew wrote:Exactly right. No one can question his strength but his wrestling and promo skills are severely limited.

but...but...but...he was able to kick out of the ankle lock!!! he's better than Angle! You don't know shit about wrestling for saying that!!! :lol: :lol:
Null17

Postby Jugs on Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:44 pm

I liked it when around 4-5 years ago where they used Mark Henry as a bet-type thing, some dudes were making bets to see if he could lift a car, bend a steal pole and other crap, that was the only time I enjoyed Mark Henry's presence in WWE.
Jugs

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:55 pm

He's fine so long as he isn't used any higher than the midcard. Even with that horrible Mae Young storyline circa 2000 he was decent, though his run in the Nation of Domination and pairing with D'Lo Brown was better.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:47 am

he made a decent run in his last "comeback" with Teddy long.

but I've stopped watching the WWE for at least a year or two and I was curious and watched a little the other night... what happened to all the big stars? (i.e. Benoit, Jericho)
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:34 am

Jericho has taken some time off from wrestling to focus on Fozzy and a career in movies. Chris Benoit is being misused.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Null17 on Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:10 pm

Benoit's still trying to get the US title from Booker T....as if both stars really want it...they should be main eventing Benoit more than Booker T though.
Null17

Postby [Q] on Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:42 pm

man I miss the good ol' days with Mr. Perfect, Million Dollar Man, Bret Hart, Owen Hart, British Bulldog, Diesel, Yokozuna and the rest of them...sadly enough half the people I mentioned have passed away already...
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Null17 on Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:01 pm

I think there's only 3 left that's alive
Null17

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:12 am

Bret Hart's still rumoured to make an appearance at Wrestlemania 22. They wanted to do a match, Hart vs McMahon were Vince basically ran into his fist then got locked in the sharpshooter and tapped out but Hart declined. He hasn't completely ruled out making an appearance and being inducted into the Hall of Fame though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Isaiah on Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:38 pm

its also rumored that The Rock might be appearing at Wrestlemania 22 if the shooting of his new movie is delayed

http://isaiahpcruz.multiply.com
Click the sig for my blog! Includes NBA analysis, etc.
Isaiah

Location: Metro Manila, Philippines (born in Los Angeles, CA)

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:57 am

I heard about that. Apparently he's declined a match with HBK so it looks like Michaels will go ahead and face McMahon. :shake:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:31 pm

two of the lamest endings to a match ever. chris masters sits on kanes face, and triple h hits a pedigree after a low blow. what the hell?
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:45 am

Andrew wrote:Even with that horrible Mae Young storyline circa 2000

Mark Henry as Sexual Chocolate. :lol:
Qballer wrote:Mr. Perfect, Million Dollar Man

Those guys are CLASSIC! 8-)
I still remember Mr. Perfect's entrance music and his mini-commercials that show his "perfection" and Million Dollar Man's signature one-liner which goes something like "Everyone has a price, for the Million Dollar Man!"
Speaking of Million Dollar Man, whatever happened to his bodyguard, Virgil?

WWE has really gone down the drain.
The Boogeyman isn't funny anymore, he's trying to be gross, which really isn't, and just ends up being pathetic and boring.

Benoit is definitely main event material but as was said before, he's being wasted with that sack of no talent crap, Booker T.

I hope WWE uses Bobby Lashley properly unlike they did with Benoit. Lashley is the only WWE wrestler right now that I'm interested in watching, along with Ric Flair.
I'm also hoping that The Rock makes a Wrestlemania appearance to make watching it tolerable.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:40 pm

The disrespectful use of Eddie Guerrero's death to get Randy Orton cheap heat continues. Apparently McMahon is really pushing for the "controversial" storylines at the moment, but in my book there's controversial and there's just places you shouldn't go. This whole Guerrero thing is the latter.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby airtsinelas on Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:42 pm

And exploiting Guerrero's death to let Rey Mysterio win the Rumble and have Orton use this in the storylines is ridiculous, it seems that Eddie was pushed more today than when he was alive.

And I expect this possible HBK-Vince or Shane match at Wrestlemania to be a disappointment.
formerly known as jonas, used to make those stupid stuff patches for NBA Live 98 :lol: :lol:
airtsinelas

Postby Jugs on Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:52 pm

I hope WWE uses Bobby Lashley properly unlike they did with Benoit. Lashley is the only WWE wrestler right now that I'm interested in watching

him, shelton (the momma storyline is crap (N) ) and carlito are the ones im interested in watchin
Jugs

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic