Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:13 pm

I think WWE needs to be a lot better for an extended period of time, but with the talent on the roster and the alternatives elsewhere, there's certainly the potential for a new golden era.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:49 am

They can't even tell their Asian wrestlers apart.

[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:48 pm

Q: Why aren't the Kabuki Warriors getting a push?
A: See above screen capture.

No one's perfect and mistakes do happen, but that's embarrassing.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:47 am

[Q] wrote:They can't even tell their Asian wrestlers apart.

[ Image ]

I mean I get it if Asuka's handle was mistakenly replaced by another main roster talent's handle. But yeah that's definitely embarrassing.

I'd do my predictions for Summerslam weekend later, but I have a hunch for the Takeover main event's eventual third fall: I think it's either a Hell in a Cell match, an I quit match ora triple threat match with the third competitor being Ciampa.It won't make sense if Ciampa wins the third fall because that will make it one apiece for all three of them, but it would be interesting if they go this route.

It's also a longshot because I think Ciampa's still not cleared.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:20 am

Love that third idea a LOT.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Lean on Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:45 pm

Couldn't wait for Takeover because of that. I'm catching up on NXT so here are my predictions for Takeover:

Io Shirai vs Candice LeRae - Would make sense if Io wins, and I see this would lead to an eventual reign as Women's Champion in the future, where Candice would be feuding with her again.

All of the championship matches aside from the Women's Championship are pretty tricky to predict, because I don't think they'd put all of the belts on the Undisputed Era, but part of me thinks they would -- just not now.

Velveteen Dream (c) vs Roderick Strong vs Pete Dunne - Just because Dunne's the wildcard. But I won't be surprised if they put the belt on Roddy.
Street Profits (c) vs Kyle O'Reilly & Bobby Fish - I have a feeling that the Street Profits will be called up since they've been appearing on Raw backstage segments.
Shayna Baszler (c) vs Mia Yim - So that Mia would drop it to Io later on.
Adam Cole (c) vs Johnny Gargano - Gargano would win the first fall (normal singles match, the stipulation Cole picked) and Cole would win the second fall (street fight, the stipulation Gargano picked), with the third fall being a Hell in a Cell match (I'm also leaning for the third fall to be an I Quit match but that would mean that Gargano would win that fall instead). Although I would love to see that swerve idea I posted earlier.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:22 pm

Ballin' Billie.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:57 am

Watching the Takeover pre-show, the third fall seems to be an Ambrose Asylum match.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:27 am

Oh wow, I'm already wrong with one of my predictions. :lol:
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:06 pm

Holy crap, what a Takeover. If there's any nitpick, I wish that Percy Watson goes back and replace Beth Phoenix.

I think that main event went over an hour. I've got 2/5 of my predictions right.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:06 pm

How's the Network performing for you? I'm still having issues on PS4.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:17 pm

I didn't watch on Chromecast this time. I watched on the browser version of the Network. I only had one lag, just before the main event. But other than that, it was smooth sailing.

Yesterday night, I tried casting a live Network feed on Chromecast. The app loads on the dongle but crashes shortly without even loading the stream. It was frustrating because the Network was my reason to get the Chromecast dongle in the first place. :facepalm:
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:14 pm

I might have to go back to using the browser version. The new PS4 app is disappointingly unreliable, despite my connection being more than suitable.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:32 am

Yeah, it's kinda annoying. The reviews on the Play Store are very negative and we all basically have the same problems. They also removed Collections which was my go-to if I want to watch wrestler-specific matches.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:38 am

Two steps forwards, three steps back it seems.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:56 pm

I think Summerslam was a good show. Match of the night is Charlotte/Trish to me. Sure Charlotte won again, but reports say this is a one-off thing for Trish, so Charlotte going over is I think the right way to go.

Like with Brock, I'm also tired of Goldberg. But at least Rollins is champion again.

And HOLY FUCK YOWIE WOWIE, BRAY WYATT! That entrance is sick!

phpBB [video]
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:33 pm

It was an awesome entrance. This character reboot has been handled extremely well so far, hopefully it continues. Him "snapping" Finn's neck was sickening in the best possible way, and a great way to establish this as the cruellest, most demented version of Bray Wyatt. Outside of the Firefly Funhouse, he's not here to play. I was sceptical, but I'm cautiously optimistic right now.

Charlotte going over is definitely the right call, it's a passing of the torch moment in an Era vs Era match. Trish has indicated that she's done-done this time, so it's a good send-off for her. I don't think it's completely inappropriate for an older talent to go over a younger star depending on the circumstances, but it wouldn't have been the right call here. Charlotte is still one of the top talents in the division, so she should get some big wins outside of the title picture as well. Having meaningful matches and angles outside the title picture is something that's been lacking in recent...well, years, so stuff like this is a good stopgap.

Rollins going over clean is huge. It's something that should've happened with Lesnar a long time ago, and they finally got it right. It's not that Lesnar should be easy to beat, but as we've discussed before, having him be virtually impossible to beat to the point of making every other main event name look weak and second-rate has done serious damage to a generation of stars. It's a bit of a waste of the MITB and there's still a lot of work to be done, but it's a good start.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:19 am

Kinda curious why they had Lesnar get beat in his first defense since the cash-in, but a Lesnar-less Raw is always welcome to me.

Forgot to point out that The Fiend's lamp is Bray's head. That was so sick. I hope they save The Fiend for important matches like they do with Balor's Demon. At some point, we'd probably have Finn vs Bray (Demon vs Fiend) again, hopefully at Mania.

I would've said have The Fiend retire the Undertaker for good, but I read somewhere that 'Taker's got a new contract.

One thing I didn't like was the finish to Kofi vs Orton, but that's probably because they'll continue the feud with Kofi dropping the belt at Hell in a Cell.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:47 am

Yeah, supposedly Undertaker has a lifetime contract now. I think it's more about compensating him for life so that he doesn't become a free agent and look to take outside bookings (like he was going to do with Starrcast), having him on call to make appearances, use him in video games, and so forth. Presumably he's not going to be 70 years old and still wrestling. In the immediate future though, The Fiend getting some wins back over people like Taker and Cena would be good.

With Rollins' reign being somewhat lacklustre, I have a feeling they had Lesnar win the belt just so that he could get a legit win over him and reboot his run. Not a bad idea, in my view. As for Kofi, I hope he doesn't drop the title to Orton. Orton doesn't need it, and while I do think he's a tremendous talent, I don't think any of his most recent reigns have been exciting or entertaining.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:04 am

That's true, and it's pretty evident in his match with Kofi on SummerSlam.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby bigh0rt on Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:25 am

The Rollins/Lesnar match was excellent, and Brock put him over big time there. I need some more from Rollins' character, otherwise I don't think he's "the guy" (though it appears Vince certainly must view him as such having him go over Brock like that last night).

I'm loving this Bray stuff so far, and hope they're able to keep it fresh and solid. So far, so good for certain.

Charlotte, to me, is so so good. I know she takes a lot of flack for going over time and time again, but I think it's warranted. She's just fantastic, both as an in ring performer, and a character. Her match with Trish was excellent, and Trish looked as good as ever, performing. I thought it was booked perfectly, and Charlotte going over was the right call, as others noted.

Styles vs. Ricochet was entertaining. I like the way they're using Gallows and Anderson (compared to the joke they'd been for sometime prior to this OC reunion, especially). I wouldn't hate Finn joining them and having them bully their way through things for awhile, given Finn's general lack of direction with respect to his booking. I think it would at least be a more interesting direction for him. Maybe culminating in a Styles vs Balor WrestleMania match or something.

Bayley I'm bored of in her current state. She seems too vanilla and plain. Very much how I felt about the old Becky Lynch character. Not that Bayley needs to go in that direction, but she needs something to make me care about her, especially if she's going to have one of the Women's titles.

Agree wholeheartedly re: Kofi not dropping the title to Orton. There's just no need to give Orton another title reign at this point. Find something interesting for him to do outside of the title picture or have him put over some younger talent, but otherwise he's just not a guy I'm interested in seeing at this point.

I applaud the way Ziggler went about that whole Goldberg squash nonsense. Get Goldberg off my TV forever please. I'd love to see if having his name on the billing for the event impacted sales, if at all. It really weakens the show overall, IMO.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:53 am

I doubt anyone really wanted to see Goldberg in action after the disaster of his last match before this one. People just like chanting his name. They had to stick him with someone who could carry the match and make him look good
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:35 am

That spear did look awesome, though. Ziggler is still one of the best on the roster when it comes to selling.

Rollins does need more to his character, especially as a face. Of course, he also needs to face more interesting opponents than Baron Corbin. They also need to avoid putting him and Becky together. Yes, it's out in the open that they're dating in real life, but it didn't do either of them any favours to make it into an angle.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:41 pm

SASHA'S BACK!...with blue hair and heel turn!
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:36 pm

So much for all that Sasha to AEW talk! :lol:

I think a heel turn is what she needed. Of course, Corey Graves obnoxiously shouting over the segment didn't help. Also, the fact that he is the heel commentator who's meant to prop up the heels and make the faces sympathetic, yet still doesn't like or support her, doesn't make sense. I've never been a fan of his work, but he's the absolute worst part of WWE commentary right now.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic