Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Postby [Q] on Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:13 am

It was also interesting to see the wives/couples and how Charlotte and Andrade basically announced that they were together.

3 title outcomes meaning Becky, Finn, and Nakamura winning their respective matches?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby bigh0rt on Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:17 am

[Q] wrote:It was also interesting to see the wives/couples and how Charlotte and Andrade basically announced that they were together.

3 title outcomes meaning Becky, Finn, and Nakamura winning their respective matches?

I saw that on the red carpet and was surprised. Wondered about Becky and Seth, too, as they were seated next to one another and seemed canoodly.

Three outcomes meaning Becky, Seth, and Kofi. Finn, too, would be #4.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:25 am

I forgot but it was cool to see Stacy Keibler again. She legitimately still looks just as good as she did then
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby bigh0rt on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:05 am

Am I suddenly madly in love with Peyton Royce? Yes.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:13 am

bigh0rt wrote:Am I suddenly madly in love with Peyton Royce? Yes.

YES ME TOO!
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:49 am

HOLY SHIT THEY PULLED THE TRIGGER!KOFI IS THE NEW WWE CHAMPION!
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:54 am

There's no way Becky's winning now, though.There have been too many title changes already.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:31 pm

WWE did pull the trigger!Seth, Kofi, and Becky all won!

Although the main event could have benefited from a few more minutes. The ending kinda came out of nowhere (which I guess would be the reason for this story to continue), but given that this is Wrestlemania, where all of the stories lead to their payoff, a more decisive finish would've been miles better.

A good show, I think. Wrestling-wise, the Smackdown Tag Team title match, and the WWE title match were standouts for me.

Now I'm going to sleep.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:31 pm

Kofi match was spoilered with the belt already sitting ringside before they even came out. And Big E's box of shirts. Also they kept cutting to the wrestlers in the back so there was almost zero chance of him losing. Cool moment to see anyways and to think it all started a few months ago with a Mustafa Ali injury.

Joan Jett live was a cool idea. Great way to have a musical guest and have it actually fit the show.

Of course, Charlotte comes in on a freaking helicopter. They can't help but keep putting her on this pedistal. The ending to the main event was to set up a one on one for the next ppv but it did take away from the moment as many didn't know she had really won it. And stupid Corey Graves opening his mouth as usual.

Great choice to have colored contacts for Bobby Lashley. Really added a lot to the match.

Shocking squash match for Rey.

A little surprised Kurt lost but it fits considering he's retiring. He loses nothing if he takes the fall.

Of course HHH goes over. He still thinks he's the main event. He's just a lame 50 year old dude who pulls out sledge hammers and spits water into the air.

Cool to see Curt Hawkins break his streak. Knowing WWE, they'll have em drop the titles back tomorrow night.

I could see the Iconics turning face, while still doing the same gimmick.

Lacey Evans must have the stupidest gimmick right now. Vince thinks she's another hot blonde to parade around. Her botches in the Royal Rumble show she's not up to par so they just have her show her face.

Brock dropping the title almost guarantees a return to the UFC to fight Daniel Cormier who had put off his retirement in hopes of fighting Brock.

And finally, it was hilarious that they finally found a way to get people to not boo John Cena. Really cool throwback to his old character
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:33 pm

What a show! It was kind of weird not seeing Undertaker; not that I think he shouldn't call it a career, nor that he should absolutely be on the show, but he is such a mainstay/staple that it still felt strange. It should be about the current talent though, and they were able to put on one of the best events in years. Good booking helped.

Watching the show, I actually yelled out "YES!" when The IIconics won. I've seen some objections to it - they "can't work", they "belong in the Divas era", and other such misguided smarky nonsense - but that's rubbish. Their movesets have been watered down by their characters and the WWE playbook, but they can still go, and they're entertaining. Also, they're Aussies. No argument on the Peyton Royce front, but like Barrett, I have bad news: she's engaged to The Perfect Ten, Tye Dillinger. Not sure about Billie Kay (aside from her heart belonging platonically to Peyton, that is), but I reckon she's pretty fine, too. Anyway, I'm really glad they won, and I hope it leads to them being booked a little stronger, even if they remain heels. One more time:

I like Seth winning, of course, but I don't like the low blow. The only person with clean victories over Lesnar since 2014 is Goldberg, a part timer who came back for that short run. Roman Reigns to a certain extent, I suppose, but even then there was outside chicanery with Braun Strowman coming down to ringside. As I've said before, they've made the entire roster look weak at Lesnar's expense for five years now, and it's set them back so much. Yeah, it was a decisive victory, but still, the low blow sends the message that the only way a face can beat this monster heel is to cheat. I also think Roman's return took all the steam out of the angle because it was such a big story. At least the belt's back on a full timer, but the damage has been done.

We never thought we'd see that John Cena again, but there he was, giving an FU to the PG era! That was a fun segment, and while I'm sure some people will be upset at Elias' burial, not everyone can be a badass and/or a main event player. WWE needs heels that'll end up eating shit to pop the crowd while still remaining over, and Elias fills that role superbly. If nothing else, he didn't lose a match, and the crowd was into it. For my part, it was really entertaining to see the Doctor of Thuganomics once more.

Angle vs Corbin...well, they went there. Angle putting over the younger talent is the old school thing to do, but here's the thing: Corbin's getting X-Pac heat. Again, I'm seeing some smarks talk about how over he is as a heel, but his reactions are lukewarm at best. It's a prime example of "we really don't like this character and don't want to see them" heat, which is very different to white hot "this character is a villain to us and we want to see him get his ass kicked" heat. Why is he still wearing his Constable Corbin clothes? What's his character, now that he has no actual power? Sadly, I don't think the rub from retiring Angle with a loss is going to do anything for him. Along with Drew McIntyre, he's probably just going to slide back down the card.

Oh yeah, McIntyre. No surprise that he lost, but man, leave it to WWE to book Reigns in such a way that the crowd will boo a damn cancer survivor. They noticeably muted the crowd mics for that one, and it's clear the honeymoon period is over. Look, I'm sure everyone is still happy for and supportive of Joe Anoaʻi, but everyone is being reminded of why they dislike Roman Reigns. Same old match, same old booking, same old character. We could say the fans are the heels for booing a cancer survivor, but at the end of the day, the blame is on WWE. It would actually be an opportune time to turn him heel, with him ripping into the fans for being fickle in their support of him, and mistreating him. It would all be technically true and he'd have a point, but he'd still be a villain. Hey, it worked for Daniel Bryan!

Speaking of which, I really thought they'd pull some more chicanery and have Kofi lose. So glad they didn't! I suppose it was obvious with the way the locker room was watching him and Graves kept implying he wouldn't win that he would in fact triumph, but it wouldn't have surprised me if they'd pulled the rug out from under him (again). Instead, he got the big victory he's deserved for so long, and the proper belt is back. A great match, and the perfect culmination to a feud we never saw coming, and thus didn't know we wanted so much.

Rey got squashed, but it makes Joe look strong. I'd say it's also done because of Rey's injury. Joe was going over regardless, but it probably wouldn't have been quite as quick if Rey was healthy. Once again though, it helps build Joe up as a ruthless monster heel after he's endured several losses during his main event run, so I don't mind it.

Demon Balor/Lashley was short, but effective. Had some great spots, and a good finish. No surprises that they protected Finn's Demon incarnation, as they should. Not sure what's next for them though, as I don't think playing hot potato with the IC belt is the way to go.

Shane McMahon vs The Miz is a match I have mixed feelings about. The fortuitous victory for Shane protects Miz as he got to beat the hell out of Shane (that golf cart spot almost went very wrong), but lost due to sheer dumb luck. On the other hand, Miz also comes off like a bit of a choker and a putz for slipping on a banana peel instead of getting a decisive victory. I feel like this should've been the conclusion of the feud, but I guess it's going to continue. It was an entertaining brawl with Shane getting his ass kicked, and the ending makes sense, but I think they have to be careful how they proceed from here.

Styles/Orton is kind of a throwaway that doesn't help or hurt either man, but that's not necessarily a problem. Shame The Revival lost the tag titles after Dash Wilder's epic punch on that idiot who ran in at the Hall of Fame, but cool to see Ryder and Hawkins get a moment, even if it's on the pre-show. Both Battle Royals will probably lead to nothing unless they restart on a push for Braun Strowman. Carmella winning is fine, but I think it underscores how they haven't really booked the women's division well outside of the tag titles and Becky/Charlotte/Ronda. Shame Buddy had to lose, but at least The IIconics got a Wrestlemania win for the Aussies!

HHH vs Batista...funnily enough, Batista has just announced his retirement from wrestling on Instagram, so maybe it should have been Career vs Career? Anyway, this match had some brutal moments which were kind of cool, but apart from that, it wasn't very good. It was HHH finally getting his win and avoiding retirement, and getting to beat up Batista for long stretches of the match. No psychology, no clear face and heel dynamic, and a predictable result that allowed HHH to stroke his ego. The same goes for that entrance, which was like a corny parody of professional wrestling (though I feel that way about a lot of HHH's Wrestlemania entrances to be honest). Maybe when they said "No Holds Barred", they meant a match on the level of the Hulk Hogan film of the same name? A scene from said flick sums up my feelings on the match and the feud:

phpBB [video]

And so we come to the main event. It was pretty damn good and the right person won, but the finish was underwhelming. Charlotte arriving in a helicopter was a throwback to her father doing it in 1985, but yeah, between her doing that and Ronda coming out to a live Joan Jett performance of "Bad Reputation", Becky coming out to some smoke effects felt underwhelming. It's kind of like how some of HHH's entrances have overshadowed his opponent when they're the ones who are going over. Anyway, some really good action, great near falls and fakeouts, and that dropkick that sent Ronda from the ring onto her head looked nasty. I feel the finish was kind of botched, and needed to be more decisive. Corey Graves undermining it on commentary didn't help, either. This needed to be a big, decisive win for Becky, and it felt like a fluke. It was still great to see her holding both belts, but that ending was a lacklustre, or perhaps poorly executed. Good result, but like much of the build in the feud, it came about in a less than ideal manner. Still, Becky won, so I'm happy about that at least.

Gripes about some of the booking aside, I did feel it was a great show. Top to bottom, one of the best Wrestlemanias in a while, and with minimal participation from part timers, hopefully a sign of good things to come for the product as a whole. Indeed, it's probably the current generation's best showing to date. I don't mind Legend appearances, but it is time to give the nostalgia a rest - and the Lesnar Is A Beast Who Destroys Everyone Easily booking a rest - and let today's talent come into their own and shine.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bigh0rt on Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:58 am

I enjoyed the show, but it really needs to not be 7 1/2 hours long (or even 5 1/2 hours if you discount the Pre-Show). They've got to make it the best and most deserving 6 or 7 matches based upon the best feud and build-up, and let it shine.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:15 am

Yeah I gotta admit the show overall was the best it's been in a long time.
Didn't know Rey's injury was a legit one. When did he hurt his ankle?

I skipped the Reigns match because I simply was not interested but hearing that they booed him, it's hard to imagine where they are going with this. Perhaps they'll have him beat Seth at SummerSlam? Would they have two "faces" go against each other. I could see the creative team messing it up and turning Seth for that tbh
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:48 am

I believe Rey got injured on Smackdown last week.

Definitely agree that it's become too much of a marathon. Gotta hand it to Michael Cole, who did his best despite clearly losing his voice towards the end of the show.

I expect they'll do Reigns vs Rollins, quite possibly with an ill-advised heel turn along the way.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:42 pm

I took a closer review of the main event finish and saw the reason why it seemed botched. They did what was supposed to happen, but Becky's leg got laced through Ronda's arm and was twisting her shoulder like an Americana so Ronda had to try to reposition herself so her shoulder wouldn't have been torn into pieces.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:11 pm

The crowd weren't booing Reigns apparently, the crowd were doing the wave and a section of the audience kept killing every continuation of it when it reached them, the boos were aimed at the section that "kept being assholes".
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Lean on Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:43 am

I hate it when the audience does that. I get it, they paid to be there but I think doing those things is disrespectful to the performers.

EDIT: While it may be disappointing to some that both Raw and Smackdown didn't have NXT debuts aside from Lars Sullivan, I think this is the right call. And it seems like they're hinting on who among them are going to switch brands this year.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:16 pm

It's also not worth calling people up if they don't have solid plans for them. There's been too much of that in the past, and it's left talented people wasting away on the main roster. On the bright side, Lacey Evans is finally doing something apart from just making appearances. That could be a good short feud for Becky, and a break from her rivalry with Charlotte. Ronda's out with a broken hand.

Also, more IIconics spam:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:40 am

Their mean girls gimmick could still work even if they're faces. Have them be annoying and not tolerate any shit from the heel characters, similar to what they're always doing with Drake Maverick.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby bigh0rt on Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:08 am

Are the Brooklyn Bellas somebodies that I'm just unaware of, and if not, why are the IIconics defending their titles against jobbers on the first show after winning them at WrestleMania? Purposeful to get more heel heat? IDGI.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:08 am

Yeah, they're jobbers. Basically it's what you said, The IIconics setting up an easy title defense for themselves. After all, only HHH is allowed to be a badass heel that isn't afraid of anything.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:59 am

I got a feeling Io and Kairi would show up on Smackdown next week.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:39 pm

I'm hoping they don't steal the titles. Quick switches don't do belts any favours. Also, it would involve The IIconics losing. :lol:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:47 pm

Yeah I wouldn't want new call-ups if they're just going to flounder later on.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:54 pm

I think it's worth building some proper teams as well. They did a decent job of it in the lead up to the belts by pairing off a lot of the women in makeshift teams and alliances, but The IIconics are the only proper team, with the Boss 'n' Hug Connection up there as well simply because of their history. The latter are the only ones with a good established team name and their own entrance music that isn't an awkward mash-up of each other's, too. Also, if you're doing the cowardly heel angle, you've got to have them keep getting away with it for a while until finally a babyface team dethrones them at a major event.

Really, they need proper angles for all of the call-ups. Here's hoping the shake-up will allow them position all the major players and supporting characters alike for the next few months of storylines.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:26 am

Seen news that Sasha reportedly tried to quit WWE during Wrestlemania weekend, and was originally supposed to face Alexa this past Raw (Bayley came out instead), and pulled out last-minute at a scheduled TV taping. She's been sending out cryptic tweets as well, as well as his husband.

Meanwhile, an old gem from back when Cedric Alexander was still with ROH:

phpBB [video]

ACH is now signed with WWE as well.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic