Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Postby Lean on Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:11 am

Yeah, it's interesting what happens tomorrow since Carmella's booked in one of the Chamber matches tomorrow, and with Graves on commentary. If anything, there might be some pre-show shenanigans to get Carmella written off and have Asuka to take her place as Naomi's partner (Asuka's champion, I know but at least there's history between Asuka and Naomi as tag partners).

Ironically, there's a point last year after Punk's second UFC match where Graves trashed Punk for "not being loyal (to his friends)." That tweet didn't age well if the issue is true.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:28 am

It didn't age well at all. WWE might take them both off the show and TV for a bit, until things cool down. Or they'll make a tasteless gag about it. The latter is just as likely, to be honest.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bigh0rt on Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:03 am

Carmella is maybe the most improved WWE superstar as far is in-ring ability progress that I can recall in some time. She went from Enzo Amore level incompetence to really entertaining with a logical and diverse move set that puts her on par with a lot of the other women's superstars. It's a shame that she and Graves (who I actually really enjoy as a commentator) put themselves in position to derail their professional careers, as well as, in the case of Graves, his family's life.

Here are my Elimination Chamber predictions...

Buddy Murphy (c) def Akira Tozawa
I don't watch much 205 Live, outside of when I see there's a match absolutely worth tuning in for, but I don't see Murphy losing the title before WrestleMania, unless there's some big push I'm unaware of with a different superstar.

Bayley & Banks def. Nia Jax & Tamina, Riott Squad, Mandy Rose & Sonya Deville, The IIconics, and Carmella & Naomi
I suppose there's scenarios where Nia and Tamina or Mandy and Sonya or even the IIconics win, so Bayley and Banks can win them at WrestleMania, but this seems the most likely to me.

Baron Corbin def Braun Strowman
I feel like the No DQ stipulation here just opens the door for the WWE to continue to screw up a guy who has been one of the most over superstars in the last year or two. Hopefully it sets something better up for Braun going forward, since the alternative of Braun squashing Corbin yet again doesn't do much for him, either. This feud stinks, and I need less Baron Corbin on my television.

Bobby Lashley (c) & Lio Rush def Finn Balor
If there's one guy who can get himself over huge while losing time and time again, it's Finn, and I expect no different here. Maybe this is actually my hope, since I'd rather see Finn in the main title picture than the Intercontinental. Still, if Finn wins the title and has a nice run with it, it would be far from the worst thing in the world. I do think there's potential for this match to be very entertaining with the size and style differences between Lashley and Finn, with Rush thrown in to further diversify the match dynamic.

Ronda Rousey (c) def Ruby Riott
Maybe something interesting will happen, the rest of the Riott Squad will interfere, etc. but ultimately the only way this ends is with Ruby tapping.

The Miz & Shane McMahon (c) def The Usos
I'll likely be perusing Twitter during this match. I need Shane to never wrestle again, so I'm rooting for The Usos here, just so he can go away, and Miz can get back to something else he is more deserving of. I just hope they drop the titles sooner rather than later, but I don't see it being tonight.

Daniel Bryan (c) def AJ Styles, Jeff Hardy, Samoa Joe, Kofi Kingston, and Randy Orton
Is anyone not rooting for Kofi? I think we see it get down to Bryan and Kofi with the crowd going bonkers for Kofi, and Bryan ultimately winning. Maybe Rowan breaks into the chamber or something, who knows. I don't see Daniel Bryan not retaining, though.

Potential to be a pretty entertaining show. Aside from the Tag Team Title match and the Corbin/Strowman match, I'm pretty excited about the rest of the show, including both Elimination Chamber matches. There's serious potential though (as always) that both the Lashley/Finn and Rousey/Riott matches disappoint; though Rousey generally I find entertaining regardless of the outcome of her matches. She's fun to watch.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:43 am

I'm thinking that whoever goes on with Bryan last would be his contender for Wrestlemania, and I don't see it being AJ again. So yeah, if they go with Kofi for a change, I welcome it. His performance on last week's Smackdown was amazing plus the fact that the commentators are going with the story that he's been with WWE for more than a decade yet he hasn't won the WWE Championship, so yeah I welcome the idea of Kofi being Bryan's Wrestlemania contender.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:59 am

I'm hoping for an IIconics victory, but I'm obviously biased in that regard.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:50 pm

Well, not really surprising that Sasha Banks and Bayley became the first women's tag team champions. At least the IIconics got a few good spots in. As for the Smackdown tag title match, I actually thought it was pretty good. Shane did his usual ridiculous high spots, and the Usos ended up walking away with the belts. I'm guessing they're building towards Miz vs Shane at Wrestlemania, and perhaps after that's done and dusted, Miz can be elevated to the main event scene for a spell. He's earned it. Shane's not at all bad in the ring and I don't mind him, but the spotlight should move towards full-time talent (or indeed, anyone not named or married to a McMahon).

I don't know what they're doing with Strowman and Corbin, but it isn't particularly interesting. Corbin continuing to dress business casual makes little sense now that he's not the GM, or in contention to be the GM. They've really missed the boat on Strowman, and he's in danger of becoming Big Show 2.0. That's not the worst thing to be, but considering how Big Show has been mishandled throughout his WWE career, it's less than either man could've been.

Great main event! It just highlights how much better the WWE Championship scene is compared to the Universal Championship picture. On one side, you've got a bunch of talented workers with engaging characters and angles that have given them a lot of history with each other, putting on great matches for the company's oldest (and let's face it, only real) world championship. On the other side, you've got Brock Lesnar and the same story it's been for the past five years, and a belt that has no history, no prestige, and is hardly ever seen on TV. RAW may always be the A Show, but it's a F when it comes to the booking of its world title. Strap Rollins, let Lesnar be a sideshow (or rob AEW of a fat contract), and set the main event scene on RAW on a better path.

I have to admit that for a moment there, I thought they were going to give Kofi a run with the WWE Championship, and I would've loved to have seen it. As soon as he missed that big splash, you could see the end coming, but it was still a great match. It's also the right booking moving forward as he's not really a big enough draw as a singles star to help carry a co-main event at Wrestlemania, and a couple of quick title changes to get the belt back on Bryan would've felt cheap. Nevertheless, it was really engaging and exciting. I was into the match, which is all you can ask for when you're a jaded old man of 34 and have long known the business to be a work, so you're looking at everything with a critical eye. On this occasion, my critical eye is in sync with my inner child. That was a lot of fun.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:47 pm

Yeah their booking of Corbin has been super confusing. They have him losing typical fights to faces for comedy and send people home happy. They also have him beating up Kurt Angle all the time.

Sucks that Mustafa got hurt because the week kofi had was supposed to be his
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:52 pm

Andrew wrote:I have to admit that for a moment there, I thought they were going to give Kofi a run with the WWE Championship, and I would've loved to have seen it. As soon as he missed that big splash, you could see the end coming, but it was still a great match. It's also the right booking moving forward as he's not really a big enough draw as a singles star to help carry a co-main event at Wrestlemania, and a couple of quick title changes to get the belt back on Bryan would've felt cheap. Nevertheless, it was really engaging and exciting. I was into the match, which is all you can ask for when you're a jaded old man of 34 and have long known the business to be a work, so you're looking at everything with a critical eye. On this occasion, my critical eye is in sync with my inner child. That was a lot of fun.

Absolutely! That bit at the end where Kofi gets applauded makes me think it's not over for him. Sure he's not that great draw they need for Wrestlemania, but having him in the main event picture is really refreshing. I'd really like him to take the win earlier and the way the elimination order was booked and how Kofi's performance on the last Smackdown was widely approved, you'd really think Kofi would go over (though I was surprised that they got Joe eliminated first, and Hardy eliminated just a few minutes after he entered).

The women's chamber match I think was also great though the result was a bit obvious. I'd like to have The Iiconics take the win as well after all the history they've credited Billie and Peyton for. Although I think Mandy and Sonya did great in the match and wouldn't mind if they win the title too. After Bayley got smashed to the pod (I think there's a spot where she went back first to one of the support braces of a pod), I thought Sasha would be done and then there'll be a heel turn in the end. But this is great, too; Sasha and Bayley holding titles of their own.

Apart from the two chamber matches, I think the Smackdown tag title match was the only other standout in the card and I think there's a lot more potential in that match, either. Balor finally getting the IC title was great, although the match itself was pretty much like a Raw match. And Corbin-Strowman was just filler in my book.

And then Lacey Evans.

And I think Otis Dozovic also lost his last name.

Also, I like how they changed the WWE Championship graphic for the title match, too!
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:19 pm

It'd be cool if they do try to elevate Kofi. He was on track all those years ago, and then Orton happened. Kind of ironic that he ended up eliminating Orton so cleanly here, given the backstage history! It wouldn't have been the right move to put him over here - I could've gotten behind him and it might've worked, but still the right call - but they might have set him up to be a bigger star in the near future.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:35 pm

Aleister Black, Ricochet, Tomasso Ciampa and Johnny Gargano all appeared on Raw earlier (WWE announced it before Raw so yeah), but man is the crowd dead or something? :shake:

phpBB [video]

Also, Tucker Knight also lost his last name so he's the same as Otis Dozovic now.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:36 pm

Most of them probably don't watch NXT so they have no idea who these people are. I love how HHH said all of them would have matches tonight but when Ricochet saves Finn, they get out in an "impromptu" match
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:54 am

I think the reception they got when they were on Smackdown was better.

Meanwhile, Tye Dillinger and Hideo Itami are announced to be released by WWE. Both guys asked for their release.

in b4 DEY GOIN TO AEW!
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:42 am

It's a shame so many NXT call-ups don't pan out. It really seems they don't have plans for them beyond "here's a new person we're bringing to the main roster".
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:22 pm

It was really nice to see Eric Young again. He's really good at what he does and I love Sanity's gimmick. It's a shame they've become the new Ascension

Looks like Arn Anderson and TJP are also gone. I liked TJ and he's definitely the most accomplished Asian American superstar in WWE history, so I hope he lands somewhere else where his talents can be utilized.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:11 pm

Double A getting released from his producer/road agent role is a surprise, but maybe it's mutual. It's possible he just wants to kick back and enjoy retirement from the business.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:14 pm

Andrew wrote:It's a shame so many NXT call-ups don't pan out. It really seems they don't have plans for them beyond "here's a new person we're bringing to the main roster".

And that's my problem with NXT call-ups, once the hype is up and it doesn't go on, they're most likely done. I really hope they just go on as a third brand with proper talent rotation.

I'm not sure what the debut of Ciampa/Gargano/Black/RIcochet mean, but I hope Vince is testing the waters on how the casual audience react to them. *But* hopefully they stay in NXT.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:59 pm

They also need to get their booking of the established main roster talent in order first. Quite a few established names are constantly lost in the shuffle with meaningless angles and 50/50 booking, so NXT call-ups end up getting thrown into that mess. It also doesn't help when they don't really allow NXT call-ups the same freedom with their gimmicks.

There's obviously been some success, most notably The Shield. I think out of the recent call-ups, The IIconics have fared the best because their gimmick has remained unchanged and they fit in well as an antagonistic comedy act (except in Australia, where they're naturally faces). It remains to be seen whether they'll get a proper push, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:41 am

I feel Ricochet has the best chance to make it, as a lot of what he does is so spectacular and not done by many others. But then again, he could be like Neville and be relegated to 205 Live. They definitely need a third brand to house all this talent they have. They're so gung ho on signing independent talent but they have nowhere to showcase them after their run in NXT is over. I feel they should take the NXT name they've built and use that as a third touring brand & show and then use the Superstars/Main Event name for a show for true developmental talent.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:10 pm

It's funny how having too much talent can be a bad thing, though again, it doesn't help when there isn't a consistent plan for everyone and people are getting screwed over by 50/50 booking. It also doesn't help that everyone is expected to be a star, when wrestling has always needed jobbers and good hands who can entertain but not necessarily win a lot while getting others over. When you have that much talent in one place, really talented workers who should be stars end up in the jobber roles by default.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:25 pm

[Q] wrote:I feel Ricochet has the best chance to make it...

I have high hopes for him and Aleister Black on the main roster. Gargano and Ciampa, not so much.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:07 pm

Roman Reigns finally getting the pop he's expected to have from many years ago:

phpBB [video]
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:23 am

The WWE finally found the answer: using his real life leukemia. It's a shame that's what it took but i could see it being very difficult to boo this man now and not look like a dick
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:48 am

People like Dave Meltzer saying it's all a work... smh
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:00 am

They've let him be authentic in this promo, and the one where he announced it and relinquished the title. Moving forward, they need to let him be himself with the volume turned up. That will connect with the audience, not the guy who spouts "suffering succotash". Also, when he is back wrestling, they need to not have Michael Cole mention that he beat leukemia every two minutes, or it's going to come across as very cheap and phony.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:33 pm

Either way, I think it will still be hard for me to like his character since I already wasn't a fan.

I watched SD tonight and was going to skip through the parts I didn't want to watch like I do for Raw but I definitely had to go back as they had the surprise returns of Kevin Owens & Matt Hardy
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic