Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Postby [Q] on Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:37 am

After dropping the titles to Dawkins and Ford early in the program, it was later revealed by "The Monday Night Messiah" that he and Murphy will get their automatic rematch against The Street Profits for the RAW Tag-Team Titles at the upcoming WWE Elimination Chamber 2020 PPV.

So much for getting rid of automatic rematches lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:59 am

I don't mind that they've brought it back. It makes more sense that former champions get a rematch rather than having to immediately go to the back of the line, while challengers who fail to win a championship can keep having as many opportunities as they please. Corbin and the Universal Championship last year comes to mind.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:14 am

I think it makes sense as it gives writers an easy way to write and book matches to build feuds
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:57 am

The problem is consistency. Like a lot of things in WWE's writing, it only matters or is only a thing when it needs to be.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bigh0rt on Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:58 am

I haven't watched WWE's weekly shows in some time, but I tuned in for Elimination Chamber last night and it was probably the most boring PPV I've ever watched. Even the attempt to build Shayna as a worthy opponent for Becky was just executed so poorly. I also feel entirely underwhelmed by what WrestleMania currently has slated as its card. Meanwhile, when I am able to tune into AEW every other week or so, it's always at least entertaining. Same goes for NXT, which I watch at about the same clip. It makes no sense.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:39 am

They're making her Brock Lesnar 2.0, repeating an already played out story. At least Brock is more entertaining when used correctly, though I'm personally sick of him because of the repetitive booking.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby deihatein on Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:31 pm

Atleast Sami Zayn won a title.
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby [Q] on Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:08 pm

The beginning of the show was actually better than the second half. Daniel Bryan and Drew Gulak had an old school technical match like they used to do in the 90s. The tag chamber match had a bunch of crazy spots. I did like the way the handicap match was booked, though I was surprised they had Braun drop the title after finally getting him a title. Perhaps he'll win it back at Mania.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:59 pm

Shows ending with a thud isn't a new problem for WWE. Unfair as it might be, it ends up tainting what can otherwise be a solid show.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:06 pm

Matt Hardy just debuted in AEW.

Meanwhile, looks like Wrestlemania will take part over two days, with Gronk hosting.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:20 pm

I've read smarks saying that splitting Wrestlemania to two days was WWE copying New Japan, like how NXT copied AEW. :lol:

I thought to have Brodie Lee as the Exalted One rather than Matt Hardy was great because people expected Matt to be that, and leads up to a swerve in the end that Matt debuted anyway.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:23 pm

The funny thing is that people have also suggested making it a two day event, because of how long it's become. Stands to reason that now WWE is doing the thing people thought would be a good idea, they're getting mocked for it. That's not to say WWE should be immune to criticism or that it hasn't done a lot of things we could criticise, but "unwinnable situation" criticism isn't exactly fair or reasonable.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bigh0rt on Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:40 am

I, for one, hope it stays a 2 day event, as it has been just exhausting to watch the past several years. A 2 day even makes it much more exciting, IMO. Also, good stuff from AEW recently, especially last night. Though I don't understand why everyone seems to love Brodie Lee so much? I've never thought much of him, and I want to say I remember him injuring several WWE members during his matches? Or maybe I made that up?

Either way, AEW's weekly programming remains very good and enjoyable.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:14 am

He's been injured a bit, I can't remember any reports of him injuring anyone else. He got a lot of start and stop pushes and he's a capable big man wrestler, which accounts for a lot of his support. There's a feeling that he was misused/underutilised in WWE, so fans are behind him to do something cool elsewhere (obviously now AEW). I think the bar might be set too high, but he'll at least have an opportunity now.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:21 am

The idea of Broken Matt Hardy vs. Le Champion Jericho would be make me want to watch, for that match at least.

The 2 Day Wrestlemania allows them to show more live elements due to the restrictions against large gatherings of 50 or more. Instead of having all scheduled wrestlers in one building, they can film at multiple locations and spread the entire crew out since there's no live audience. Would also allow for more taped portions honestly, if they decided to go that route.

One causality already is Becky Lynch's entrance which was rumored to involve that truck she rode in on at Raw
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:26 am

I've seen it suggested that WWE should just go all out and film Wrestlemania like a movie (or Lucha Underground). Jokes about WWE Films aside, that could be pretty cool.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:06 pm

They could literally just tape everything up to and including WM at this point and then send the talent home so they could self-isolate. Here in California everyone has been ordered to stay in their homes
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:23 pm

It'd make for an interesting period in WWE history, that's for sure. I imagine both they and AEW will find ways to produce shows with a skeleton crew and only the talent they need.

I saw someone on Reddit suggest having some kind of interactive system (possibly through the Network) that allows home viewers to collectively control piped in crowd reactions. It'd be hard to do without people just messing around with it, but it sure is an interesting idea.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:42 pm

Chris Benoit story on vice
phpBB [video]

Done really well apparently Chavo put it together and you really get the inside scoop from everyone involved.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:18 pm

Going to have to watch that.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:20 pm

Watched Part 1 yesterday, and caught Part 2 today on Vice's website (had to use a VPN). I imagine it'll be out on YouTube soon enough, but I couldn't wait.

To say it was dark and intense is a massive understatement, but it's an important watch, difficult as it is. There are some new details that shed a little more light on what happened, but it's one of those situations where we'll never know the entire story. Not to sound like a WWE apologist, but I thought it was a bit unfair that they were criticised for not doing more when they'd also been told they were being phoney and to back off and keep their distance. Obviously that comes from a place of tremendous pain, so I'm not faulting Nancy's sister or Chris' son for their feelings. All the same, it seems like WWE was in a no-win situation, and going to end up looking like the bad guys however they tried to handle things with the family. They're never going to please everyone in the way they handled the Benoit situation in general, but I think their approach of leaving him on the Network but not celebrating him is the most appropriate.

In any event, it's a great documentary, very powerful, very tough to watch in parts; especially when they're showing police photographs. No gore, no bodies, nothing completely horrifying, but it's still disturbing to see. Season 1 is well worth catching up on as well, looking forward to the rest of Season 2. Fascinating stuff.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:41 pm

Best Undertaker promo in years. Probably one of his best all-time, too.

phpBB [video]

A shame this match couldn't have taken place years ago, when Taker was still more mobile. Of course, with the way they're taping and editing Wrestlemania, the Boneyard Match might actually be a fun spectacle.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:04 am

Great promo, and I like how "real" they're getting so maybe he'll be more like the American Badass Undertaker or "Mark Calloway" for the match which would be cool. I've always wanted to see them bring the badass character back.

I wonder if Taker thinks he's got more matches in him. It could determine the outcome of the match. I could see it being a fitting ending to a career getting buried by AJ & the Club to never be seen again.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:44 am

A bit unceremonious to go out with no crowd, though. I wouldn't be surprised if he hangs it up at Survivor Series this year, to make it an even 30 years. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes beyond that, either.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:27 am

Ah that's true. 30 years would be a good point to stop. I could see him wanting to continue to cash those big checks if Vince will write them. Who do you think his final match will be against? Cena? Legend Killer Orton would be good. I think a Cesaro or Ziggler would be good to help carry him through a match much like AJ

Also, I just got a notification from Yahoo Sports on picking winners/prop bets for Wrestlemania (since all "regular" sports are not running right now). Could use your thoughts on some of these picks:

WWE Championship: Drew McIntyre. Heyman's been behind him and the Royal Rumble push. I would be slightly surprised if he lost to Brock, but then again it's Brock so who knows
Will Goldberg win the Universal Championship: No. I think they worded it like this since Roman pulled out. I would've said Roman would've won it, but who knows if they will stick to the plan with Braun. They could conceivably make Goldberg an absentee champion, but Roman pulling out makes this a tough choice. Hard to imagine them putting the title on Braun.
Over/Under 5 min match for Universal Championship: Under. I thought it would likely be under with Roman in the match since Goldberg's not really built for long matches but with a powerhouse like Braun in the match, it's more likely to be a short match imo
Last Man Standing: Edge. Hard to imagine bringing him back to lose.
Cena/Fiend: Fiend. Cena's been very willing to put overs over especially since he's not a regular anymore.
Raw Women's Championship: Shayna. Becky's had a long reign, and this seems like a good opportunity to take it off her and give her a new feud and opponent to work with. Added bonus that she beat her friend Ronda and could lead to a Ronda return(!?) at some point. Would be cool to see a Horsewomen vs Horsewomen match at some point
NXT Women's Title: Rhea Ripley. She has been on fire and HHH has strapped that rocket on her back during that monster push around Survivor Series, so i think she will win. But much like Brock, Charlotte is a favorite of the company so as much as it pains me to say, she could win too.
Bayley/Sasha match prediction (will they help/hurt each other, both, or neither): Both help/hurt. In true wrestling fashion they help each other at first, but Sasha will turn on her to win. Rumor is they tried to build a feud and a match between them for Mania.
Boneyard match: Undertaker. Odds say Taker wins and I can see AJ being a nice guy and seeing it as an honor to fight him and put him over.
Will Gronk interfere with any match: No. It would be a yes if Mojo were in a match but this is a no.

Other predictions not on the app:
Black/Lashley- Black. Heyman's been pushing him too in addition to Street Profits and Drew
Otis/Ziggler- Otis. Payoff for the face who's been wronged.
Corbin/Elias- Corbin. They love booking this guy for the win for the heat.
Zayn/Bryan- Zayn. At first when the match was made, I thought it would be an automatic win for Bryan but he wants to get a reduced schedule and be a father so I can see him putting over Zayn. Man I wish it could've been a Nakamura/Bryan match as they go way back and Bryan said that's a match that he's wanted.
Smackdown Women's Title: Sasha. I think she will turn on Bayley for a new feud
Smackdown Tag Titles: Miz/Morrison. Toss up here. Don't think it'll be New Day though
Rollins/Owens: Owens. Another face payoff, especially with AOP out of the picture
Women's tag titles: Kabuki Warriors. Toss up, but maybe they do it to keep their Japanese stars happy
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic