Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Postby Lean on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:38 am

[Q] wrote:I'd like to go Saturday night to see Tanahashi vs Taguchi and Ibushi vs Zack Sabre

Go see it! I think Ibushi and ZSJ will definitely be amazing.

Andrew wrote:Cena, maybe?

Makes sense, too. Given that Cena's main roster debut match was with Kurt.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:58 am

I must admit I hadn't thought of that. I was just thinking it would be another part-timer that wouldn't be hurt by a loss if they wanted to send Angle off with a win, and would free up full-time talent for other matches (though it would be an opportunity for Angle to put someone over as well). That'd be a cool bookend though, especially if Cena goes over.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:27 am

Yeah, I got no problem with that, either. Although I do hope they set up the program now as we're just a few weeks away.

Interesting to see that WWE produced a Chronicle episode for Ambrose (though I haven't watched it yet), so I'm still on the fence to believe whether he's really going or not.

Meanwhile on NXT, Ricochet and Aleister Black defeat DIY in the Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic. Gargano feigned a knee injury so that he won't tag back in when Ciampa needed him to, Ciampa ended up eating a Black Mass and a 630 from Black and Ricochet.After the match, Candice ran down to pick Johnny up, but Ciampa joined in carrying Gargano to the ramp. Gargano fell but Ciampa helped him up in what could be a replay of his heel turn back in 2017, but Johnny reveals that his injury is a ruse and threw Ciampa to the LED board instead and hitting him with superkick afterwards.

Shame that Ciampa got injured and went under the knife as I think the payoff for this long storyline ends at Takeover. But they could use this to write him out.

And with the final set of NXT TV tapings done before Wrestlemania weekend, the NXT Championship was vacated,Gargano was named one of the two #1 contenders,and Adam Cole own a Fatal 5-Way to face Gargano in a 2-out-of-3 falls match at Takeover.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:27 pm

So, Angle vs... Corbin? :|
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:46 pm

Probably going to be a bait and switch. If they do go down that road without any twists, I reckon he'll defeat Corbin, and Corbin will end up being repackaged.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:31 pm

Still hoping they'd go with Cena instead.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:10 pm

I'd prefer that too.

I don't know what to make of the situation with Kofi. It's obviously going to be him and Bryan at Wrestlemania, and the point is that he has to overcome adversity to get the spot, but it feels like they're putting too many twists and turns in the angle. Also, the fact that it's Evil Mr. McMahon screwing over a competitor for the umpteenth time just because he's evil, and the fact that he did this in the RAW Women's Championship this year already, makes it feel really stale. I feel like there is going to be a cathartic ending - maybe the roster goes on strike in support of Kofi? - but it's still a bit convoluted. It's also a re-tread of Bryan's own story from 2014, though it's funny how he's now the person calling his opponent a B+ Player. That alone gives the angle some legs via an interesting twist.

Nice to see The IIconics get a victory. They really deserve a run with the belts. Sasha is not good as a face.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:24 am

I like the Kofi angle, although I'm afraid it would all just fluster if they don't put the title on Kofi (furthering the long-time rumors on Vince not wanting to have a black WWE champion); I'm also a bit baffled that Bryan would just do Vince's bidding since his Planet's Champion character is supposed to hate the corporate machine.

But to be honest, I'm more invested in the Kofi storyline more than Becky's.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:48 am

Becky's angle was a wide open slam dunk, and somehow they've managed to dribble it off their foot and out of bounds.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:38 am

It's still great that she's still getting cheers, but the storyline kept dragging on. They went with the same formula on Smackdown but with Kevin Owens, but it's basically the same as the episode before that.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:25 am

I still reckon she goes over, and it'll probably still main event the show, but they botched it all the same.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:30 pm

So on Smackdown today, for some reason, the fatal 4-way to determine Asuka's #1 contender was changed to a title match between Asuka and Charlotte... AND CHARLOTTE FUCKING WON.So Charlotte goes for the Raw Women's title at Wrestlemania as the Smackdown Women's Champion and Asuka doing nothing for now.I don't get it.

Also, Woods and Big E went on a gauntlet like Kofi did last week.The stipulation is that if they win the gauntlet, Kofi goes to Wrestlemania.They won, and it was a great moment for the faces to come out and celebrate with them but I thought it would have been more impactful if Kofi earned his opportunity himself.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:59 pm

Of course it makes sense they slap the belt on Charlotte yet again. So annoying. However, I will let it slide as she keeps it warm for Becky when she becomes double champ (champ champ) at Mania

I was looking forward to AJ and Kurt locking up again but he's probably too tired from last night to have a full match
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:32 pm

Apparently the Smackdown belt won't be on the line in the match. So it'll ensure that Charlotte can lose the match and still have a belt. Or the Four Horsewomen all walk out with a belt (which means the IIconics won't have a chance). It just goes to show that WWE can mess up the booking for even the most straightforward and logical angles.

At least Kofi is finally, officially, going to Wrestlemania. The angle's not done yet, though. Still time to mess it up, including the booking of the match itself.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:08 pm

Now I'm thinking Asuka would make an appearance on Raw for the go-home show and attack Charlotte, making them pull Charlotte out of the main event and have another Asuka-Charlotte match at 'Mania, then making Becky vs Ronda a one-on-one match.

Still annoyed how the Becky storyline turned out after the Rumble. As of now I'm only invested in Kofi's storyline going to WrestleMania.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:44 am

That would be the only logical reasoning for having Asuka drop the title so close to the show. Not having a rematch from last year or having it on the line in the triple threat would only prove what Becky's been saying about Charlotte

The thing is there's no way they'd tease the triple threat then pull their golden girl from the main event. But then again, this is WWE we're talking about here
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:46 am

Maybe that's the point? Maybe they're trying to go all in on Charlotte being the entitled heel who is handed everything, while pretending she deserves it all. That's not a bad idea in and of itself, but it's bad execution when it messes up everyone else's booking and both titles.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:05 am

I've read somewhere that a possibility is that Bayley and Sasha retain, Becky wins the Raw championship, and then Charlotte is the Smackdown Women's Champion, all four would close the show celebrating in the ring as the Four Horsewomen.

Kinda cheap if they do it this way, having Asuka drop the title for just that moment.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:07 am

With Charlotte being a heel, it would also be an awkward scene.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:26 pm

Or they're going to do a "curtain call" or Ronda loses then Shayna and co come attack Charlotte and Becky and then Sasha and Bayley come for the save to set up next year's main event.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:25 pm

Stephanie's announcement was the Becky/Ronda/Charlotte match at Mania is "Winner Takes All." :|

Asuka deserves better.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:00 pm

I was thinking she was going to announce herself as the special guest referee, so while I still dislike what's happened to rest of the women's division on Smackdown, the announcement could've been worse. :lol:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:49 pm

Well, card is still subject to change so who knows? :lol:

So yeah, going into Wrestlemania, the only storyline I'm invested in is Kofi's. And I doubt they'll book him to win. My guess is that Woods and Big E would turn on him and say that if it weren't for them, Kofi wouldn't have the opportunity for the title.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:07 pm

I'm still keen to see the main event. As contrived and convoluted as the story has become at times, even if I feel that it really should've been Becky vs Ronda one-on-one, I think it's going to be a great match. The brawl on RAW was pretty good, too.

Definitely keen to see Kofi vs Bryan. I hope they do put the belt on Kofi, at least for a short run. It'd be a feel-good moment, and the angle ends with a fizzle (or continues with virtually no steam) if he loses, clean or dirty.

I know I'm going to be disappointed, but I'm still holding out some hope that they'll swerve everyone and have the IIconics win the belts. They're the only proper tag team in the whole division, and unless Beth Phoenix is back for an extended run, I don't they should have her and Natalya win, even for the pop. If they really want those belts to be...

...then it has to be Peyton Royce and Billie Kay.

Incidentally, seems at least a couple of people over on Reddit are really down on the IIconics and reckon they're terrible workers. Funny that their matches in NXT and pre-WWE say otherwise...

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Fun fact, Madison Eagles (the tallest competitor, sporting The Punisher-inspired gear) trained the other three: Shazza McKenzie, Jessie McKay/Billie Kay, and K.C. Cassidy/Peyton Royce. She's probably also the top women's wrestler in the world right now, or certainly in the conversation.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:04 pm

I like to think I'm familiar with the Aussie accent from hearing Aussie celebrities talk with their normal accent, hearing Andrew in the podcast, and playing TF2 regularly with a close group of Aussies in years past, I can even differentiate English, Aussie, and South African accent, but hearing the IIconics talk still weirds me out.
Like it's unusual from what I'm used to hearing.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic