Video Game linked to violent eath

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Do Video Games and movies create potential killers?

Yes I think they set a poor example
22%
No this is ludicrous
67%
I am indifferent to the subject
11%

Total votes : 9

Video Game linked to violent eath

Postby Tyus Edney's Agent on Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:27 pm

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/news-5/1039346117229420.xml

This is the stupidest thing i have ever seen. Although they knew for a fact that the suspect Brian Davidson was inebriated what do they choose to blame for the death of 38 year old Jerry Steinberg? you guessed it Video Games.

When did it become popular in society to put blame upon things other than themselves. And the article is so blatanly one sided. They ignore the fact that these people were thugs and i quote

Besides being drunk, Davidson, who was unemployed, was dealing with the break-up of his marriage and was unable to see his young child, friends said. As his marriage dissolved, he returned this summer to Wyoming after living with his family in Mount Pleasant

So still with all those facts what do they still choose to blame? you guessed it again video games.

Society makes me sick
Tyus Edney's Agent

Postby DR. P on Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:56 pm

Although I chose the "indifferent" option, I can really see both sides of this thing. Admittedly, I did not follow this Davidson deal, so I can't speak upon it directly. But, its indeed feasible to assume that Video games, just like societal models [good or bad] can have some impact upon our behavior. However, I believe its quite naive to believe that video games, music, or any one influence, is the sole cause of any behavior.

It takes more than one factor to shape a person's behavior. In essence, the complex interaction between individual differences and situational factors lead to behaviors, although in some cases one of these factors may exert more or less influence. That withstanding, one can't say with certainty whether video games are the sole cause of davidson's deviant behavior anymore than they can assert that a cop shooting resulted from rap lyrics [e.g., similar case with tupac's lyrics] or some other individual differences [e.g., in aggression] that are presumed to produce such outcomes. It is more likely that a familial situation, coupled with exposure to video game violence, faulty personality, dissolved relationships, and a host of other factors contributed to this outcome. But as a rule of thumb, its always hard to boil things down to a single thing, which is contrary to what society often wants. We often desire a simple and plain solution for complex behaviors which isn't always a sound way to approach certain outcomes.

Best,

P

Best,

P
DR. P

Postby :digerati: on Tue Dec 10, 2002 6:31 am

Enviroment. Fire is fueled by media that provides assurance in actions.
:digerati:

Postby MajaFiggaz_Early! on Tue Dec 10, 2002 2:36 pm

No I wouldn't blame a game. I blame people. Most kiler have a reason regardless of how big or small and usually it deal with someone fucking there emotions, and the person isn't strong minded enough to deal with it, so the alternative is to destroy that which is bothering you.

Sh!t Im no madman but I love GTA games. If I have a bad day, turn on some GTA and do some crazy sh!t, no one gets hurt. I am no sociopath I have a conscience and know right from wrong.

Also medical problems can attribute to violence. Look at M. Tyson. If he doesn't take his medcine he will probably kill someone. Other conditions like depression can also attribute to this.
MajaFiggaz_Early!

Postby Rens on Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:52 pm

That game Postal was great...
Rens

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby TheBob on Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:13 am

P,

Just out of interest, what is a faulty personality?
TheBob

Return to Off-Topic