Playnite : an open source video game library manager

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Playnite : an open source video game library manager

Postby sticky-fingers on Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:41 am

Well, i would like to introduce you Playnite, a great tool IMO.

There's a lot of stores with their own launcher : Steam, Origin, UPlay, Twitch etc... and older games with just an install shortcut.

Im not related to this project, i was looking for this kind of tool, 'cos most of my games are on Steam, so most of the time i dont launch other launchers and i simply forget about the games i have on other stores.
And Steam also annoys me cos it deletes regularly and without my consent all my categories.

And so, i'm pretty amazed by this tool: from an unified interface, you can launch / categorize for all of your games. You can also customize the page of each game (title / icon / background / description / genre / tags etc ...) and/or download these informations from stores or online DB, there's also an advanced filter etc...

You should really check this tool ;)

Link : https://playnite.link

Official screenshot :

My Sports Library :
sticky-fingers

Re: Playnite : an open source video game library manager

Postby JaoSming on Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:13 am

I messed with it a month ago....and then got swayed by LaunchBox, particularly for it's big box mode. Basically Steam Big Picture but with themes and built in emulator support.

Launch Box costs money though....I ended up getting it on Black Friday for half off and a charity donation tie-in. No regrets so far.

Playnite/Launch Box/Steam with non-Steam game links, whatever it is, having your PC library ready-to-play in any launcher is something I recommend doing.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Re: Playnite : an open source video game library manager

Postby sticky-fingers on Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:19 pm

On Playnite, there's a big picture mode too in Playnite, and it also supports emulators (for the moment, I don't use either of these two modes).

LaunchBox seems to be good, but as you said, it costs money (20/50$) ; and the difference between the two products does not justify the price.

According to my brother, Discord is going in this direction too.
sticky-fingers

Return to Off-Topic