What are you listening to right now?

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

What are you listening to right now?

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:57 am

Hi all,

Looked for a thread on here related to music, couldn't find one. So, here we are.

Figured it would be cool to have a space to share music that we are listening to at any given time. Personally, I go through fazes, but certain music sticks around for life. Recently, I've been listening to Chali 2na and some of Jurassic 5's music again.

Thinking about doing a 2K17 highlight reel video using the song below, catchy... I also think Chali 2na is vastly underrated.

phpBB [video]
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:43 am

We did have one, but it's been neglected, so it's probably best to start fresh. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bigh0rt on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:20 pm

Podcasts. As I get older and more crotchety, I listen to less and less music. It's only a matter of time before my answer here is NPR or some other equivalent.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:15 am

bigh0rt wrote:Podcasts. As I get older and more crotchety, I listen to less and less music. It's only a matter of time before my answer here is NPR or some other equivalent.

I don't listen to podcasts, maybe I should.

But, when you do get the itch to listen to music, what is it? Like what's the most recent thing you played?
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby bigh0rt on Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:22 am

Dee4Three wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Podcasts. As I get older and more crotchety, I listen to less and less music. It's only a matter of time before my answer here is NPR or some other equivalent.

But, when you do get the itch to listen to music, what is it? Like what's the most recent thing you played?

90's and early 2000's hip hop and r&b. DMX. 50 Cent. Eminem. Nas. Jay-Z. Kanye West. Dr. Dre. 2Pac. B.I.G. Lil Wayne. Busta Rhymes. Big Pun. A lot of that. I feel incredibly stereotypical anymore, like the old man yelling at the cloud about how today's music is absolute trash and garbage and doesn't compare to BACK IN MY DAY. It's tough to feel like you've fallen right in line with what is expected of you, but here I am. Like my father talking about The Beatles.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:44 am

I hear ya.

However, I don't think it's something to be ashamed of, or something that an individual should even question. I DO believe that most of the music today is scripted garbage, hardly any of the "Musicians" who make it onto "Radio Hits" write music. They are literally born and raised in the industry, and have the reigns handed to them in order to produce a garbage message in the form of social engineering.

The amount of songs (and rappers names) that speak about Xanax, or have something to do with Xanax, is no coincidence. What they put in front of our youth/young adults in the form of content is a damn shame. Have you looked at the billboard top 100 recently? 6ix9ine, Lil Uzi, etc etc... it really is a bunch of pure garbage.

However, some of the early 2000's stuff, and some 90's stuff was trash as well, and some of it seems to have been for the same purpose, to direct a good portion of the population towards a movement, a sort of social engineering. Nothing wrong with sticking with stuff you like, though. In fact, I think so many people want to be "In" nowadays that they pretend to like stuff they actually do not.

With that being said, I think this is the best Live performance I have ever seen (Obviously I was not there.. as I was not born yet). Talk about singing with feeling. I grew up listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ted Nugent, Megadeth, etc. Once out of my parents house, I held onto some of that but also listened to a lot of Nelly, Eminem (A LOT), Nas, etc. I go through fazes.

FYI - I am not religious. So that has nothing to do with me liking this performance, I like it because of the feeling, the realness of it.

phpBB [video]

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:29 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:

90's and early 2000's hip hop and r&b. DMX. 50 Cent. Eminem. Nas. Jay-Z. Kanye West. Dr. Dre. 2Pac. B.I.G. Lil Wayne. Busta Rhymes. Big Pun. A lot of that. I feel incredibly stereotypical anymore, like the old man yelling at the cloud about how today's music is absolute trash and garbage and doesn't compare to BACK IN MY DAY. It's tough to feel like you've fallen right in line with what is expected of you, but here I am. Like my father talking about The Beatles.

I can't stand the mumble rap and the garbage they play on the radio. It must've been at least 5 years since I've listened to the radio on a consistent basis.

Only new guy I fucks with is J Cole.

I don't like podcasts. I feel like it's people sitting around shooting the shit with nothing to talk about. If anything I'll watch a show like MMA hour on YouTube where there's like video to go with it

Like you said some music sticks with me and I have been a 2pac fan for over 23 years. I even got one of his tattoos on my chest in his honor

I saw Chali 2na and J5 perform last year. Man they ROCKED IT when they did In The House from NBA Live 06
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:10 am

I also find myself at the age where I'm tending to listen more to old favourites and the music I grew up with, rather than new stuff. Admittedly I've never really been into the music scene, discovering new bands and the like, and my taste is pretty eclectic to say the least, but I can definitely relate to the "old man yells at cloud" feeling.

If I do discover a new (or newish) song that I like, it's actually usually through the soundtracks for NBA Live or NBA 2K.

[Q] wrote:I don't like podcasts. I feel like it's people sitting around shooting the shit with nothing to talk about.

Ouch. :lol:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby diamenz on Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:56 am

a timeless gem from '96. pac could paint such a perfect picture in so few words. what's haunting about this twenty-two year old track is that everybody featured in it is now dead, even the producer.

phpBB [video]
diamenz

Postby bigh0rt on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:15 pm

I take back everything. Lil Tay 4 Lyfe.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:55 am

Andrew wrote:If I do discover a new (or newish) song that I like, it's actually usually through the soundtracks for NBA Live or NBA 2K.

[Q] wrote:I don't like podcasts. I feel like it's people sitting around shooting the shit with nothing to talk about.

Ouch. :lol:

Lol I don't specifically mean the nlsc podcast, as you guys do cover some interesting stuff but i cringe when I see a 2 hour sound clip loading up and there's one small thing I wanted to hear about.

It's funny those soundtracks don't necessarily have songs you will listen to, but you're forced to listen to it so much those songs actually grow on you. There's usually one or two songs that I really like that I had never heard of. City On Lockdown was a good one this year
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:55 am

[Q] wrote:I can't stand the mumble rap and the garbage they play on the radio. It must've been at least 5 years since I've listened to the radio on a consistent basis.

Only new guy I fucks with is J Cole.

You don't like Kendrick? Or Vince Staples? Or Danny Brown? Or any of the Odd Future guys? I agree that mumble rap is terrible, bunch of tatted up 16 year old kids high on Xanax. And now they have their martyr Lil Peep whose music we have to pretend was good. But there is still a lot of good rap out there IMO.
Lamrock

Postby [Q] on Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:03 am

Out of all those guys you named, Kendrick is the only one whose music I've listened to. Some of it is good, but for some reason it's hard for me to like him even though he's from Compton/LA
I know he's good, but not my cup of tea. I admit I like his newer stuff better than the old

Speaking of Cole, his new album dropped today. I wouldn't have known if Arcane hadn't been hyping it for days lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:27 pm

Snoop Dogg on mumble rap:

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:18 am

I saw Chali 2na and J5 perform last year. Man they ROCKED IT when they did In The House from NBA Live 06

I'm sure. Only been to a couple concerts my whole life, never for that genre of music.

Speaking of which, that's always been one small regret I had. I wish I had gone to more concerts when I was younger.

Heard this for the first time today, catchy. Never heard of these guys before.

phpBB [video]

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:53 pm

Lately I've been loving Cardi B's album. One of the few lately that I've been able to listen to from front to back without wanting to skip tracks. I also listened to J. Cole's new album the other day, but it wasn't really for me. I appreciate socially aware rappers, but I find him to be a bit corny or something. Maybe he needs more features :P

My listening habits depend on the environment around me, I guess. When I'm at work, I find English lyrics distracting, so I tend to listen to a lot of latin pop artists like Shakira, Jennifer Lopez, and Gloria Estefan. When I want something a bit heavier, I find I like Napalm Death and Cannibal Corpse, since I can't really understand their lyrics through the growls, but I like the instrumentation.

When I'm on the train, I like metal bands like Opeth, Meshuggah, Lamb of God, and Slayer. Although, in saying that, I also listen to a lot of pop on the train as well.

Yeah, my musical taste is all over the shop at the moment :lol:
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:47 pm

Never been a fan of Fall Out Boy nor appreciated any of their previous songs but these two from their last album have gotten on repeated play for me.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:10 am

Shadowgrin,

That thumbnail for "The last of the real ones" is enough to give me nightmares.

Never been a big fan of Fallout Boy, but not bad. The beginning of that song has a bit too much of an Adam Levine sound... but it gets better after the intro.

Whenever I hear Fallout Boy, I think Panic at the Disco..... anybody else get that? Similar sound.

Kevin,

I'd say... going from Gloria Estefan to Slayer.... but I am kind of like that as well. I go from Megadeth to Andy Grammar, or Eminem to Everclear. I think that says something about a person, shows they have an open mind. I also think it shows that the person can have many different mood sets.

Either way, not a fan of Cardi B, or Lopez/Estefan/Shakira. However, I see the draw.
Last edited by Dee4Three on Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:59 am

J LO FTW

I would recommend Selena (Quintanilla) as well. Como La Flor is my jam

For other non English songs, check out Babymetal. They were surprisingly good
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:57 am

Dee4Three wrote:Whenever I hear Fallout Boy, I think Panic at the Disco..... anybody else get that? Similar sound.

Both of them know. The singer of Panic is wearing the purple llama costume in the video.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby [Q] on Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:10 am

shadowgrin wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:Whenever I hear Fallout Boy, I think Panic at the Disco..... anybody else get that? Similar sound.

Both of them know. The singer of Panic is wearing the purple llama costume in the video.

Fallout Boy, My Chemical Romance, Panic, etc all sound the same to me
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:27 am

shadowgrin wrote:

Interesting. Makes sense that they would know, though.

Sound wise, I always thought the same about The Killers and The Bravery. In fact, pretty sure they got into a fued at one point. Always thought those two bands sounded a ton alike, never could really tell the difference.

Never liked either of them anyway.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:38 pm

[Q] wrote:For other non English songs, check out Babymetal. They were surprisingly good

Q you closet weeb
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Lamrock on Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:13 pm

Dee4Three wrote:Sound wise, I always thought the same about The Killers and The Bravery. In fact, pretty sure they got into a fued at one point. Always thought those two bands sounded a ton alike, never could really tell the difference.

Guess you wouldn't like Franz Ferdinand either
Lamrock

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:57 am

Lamrock wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:Sound wise, I always thought the same about The Killers and The Bravery. In fact, pretty sure they got into a fued at one point. Always thought those two bands sounded a ton alike, never could really tell the difference.

Guess you wouldn't like Franz Ferdinand either

Correct, but Take Me Out isn't a bad tune. Otherwise, not a fan. I actually just went through a Franz playlist after you mentioned it just to refresh my memory.

Nostalgia with this one. (Chali again, just with J5). My buddy and I used to play this when going to play pickup ball. We used to go to a local college (UNH) where they had 4 courts running every night. Had to pay $5 every time to get in, but it was worth it. My buddy was a big J5 fan.

phpBB [video]

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Next

Return to Off-Topic