Workout Regime Question

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Workout Regime Question

Postby Cpt(K) on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:36 pm

Hey there,

So its been a while and I've graduated, have a job, and am looking forward to the summer . . . but I want to get in shape (cue the "swole" memes). Time isn't necessarily a concern, I mean, I've survived running around with kiddos at a summer camp for several years as I am. I'll be ecstatic if I can see and feel a difference by June or July though. What kind of plans do you guys know of? I don't imagine all of us are skinny "hardgainers" (I'm new to the terminology too), but I suspect a couple of you know a thing or two regardless.

I'm 5'11" (Some say 6'0"), weighing in at about 140 pounds. How would I begin? I'm a horrible eater, meaning, I'm not consistent and skip meals regularly :lol: , do you know of a meal plan? Should I try protein shakes or other supplements?
Cpt(K)

Re: Workout Regime Question

Postby [Q] on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:51 pm

Holy shit, I thought I was skinny. A few years back I was 5'7" 125 lbs. and wondered why I could never gain weight. I kinda already knew in the back if my mind I wasn't eating enough. Sometimes I'd think I would be eating "a lot" but I never really knew the magnitude of the situation until I started reading more about nutrition. It's just as important if not more than the actual workouts.

So I made an effort to eat more, and started doing 2 a days at the gym and gained 20 lbs which is ridiculous because it was like 15% of my total weight. I was a little soft at my heaviest but I could've kept going had I tried. I wound up cutting back and am at a solid 140. The big thing is don't get caught up on the number on the scale, or feeling embarrassed or skinny shamed by other people. You will get there as long as you put in the work.

You are skinny as fuck and seriously need 3000 calories a day. I was getting close to that myself back then. The key is doing it healthy and not taking in empty calories. Also, if you're lifting you should be taking in .75 to 1 gram of protein for each pound that you weigh

What helped me was a shake powder from Nutrishop that added 700 calories and 54 grams of protein in each shake. But not all shakes are made equal so do your research. A lot have fillers and added sugars and whatnot
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Cpt(K) on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:35 am

That's helpful information!
Cpt(K)

Postby Jackal on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:55 am

I'm the total opposite, I put on weight way too easily if I'm not careful with my calories and working out consistently. As Q pointed out try to be consistent with your meals and avoid empty calories. Definitely aim for 2500-3000 calories daily (maybe even 3500 if you're consistently working out).

Most gyms have beginners plans, try those out to get your body used to working out. Since you want to put on muscle mass (I think?) I'd stick to compound exercises such as bench presses, pull ups, deadlifts and squats. Do that for a few months and you should already be a lot heavier than what you're at currently. There's a ton of information out there, you just have to try stuff out and see what works for you.

If you're into reading I'd suggest getting Arnold's new encyclopedia of bodybuilding. It's by no means the tell all guide but it's got a bunch of useful information regarding workouts, exercises, nutrition and is just a good read and a glance in to a fierce competitors mindset. Arnold was straight up savage when it came to mental fortitude and mental games. He basically made a huge guy like Lou Ferrigno doubt himself and look like a scared teenage boy as seen in Pumping Iron.

Good luck man!
Jackal

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:45 am

Cpt(K) wrote:Hey there,

So its been a while and I've graduated, have a job, and am looking forward to the summer . . . but I want to get in shape (cue the "swole" memes). Time isn't necessarily a concern, I mean, I've survived running around with kiddos at a summer camp for several years as I am. I'll be ecstatic if I can see and feel a difference by June or July though. What kind of plans do you guys know of? I don't imagine all of us are skinny "hardgainers" (I'm new to the terminology too), but I suspect a couple of you know a thing or two regardless.

I'm 5'11" (Some say 6'0"), weighing in at about 140 pounds. How would I begin? I'm a horrible eater, meaning, I'm not consistent and skip meals regularly :lol: , do you know of a meal plan? Should I try protein shakes or other supplements?

Coming out of HS I was 6'0" 140, I wanted to put on size as well.

As the others have stated, it took me putting in more calories, but also eating more often in general. I started eating once every two hours, even if it was just a snack. Every morning I would use a protein shake (Up your mass by MHP), with a scoop of peanut butter in it. I would have a second protein shake around dinner time. Before bed I would drink a casein shake (Slow release protein).

Workout wise, I would be in the gym every other day. I focused more on heavy lifts (Overdid it at times, I regret that). Looking back, I actually don't think I gave my body enough time to recover, I was doing a bit much. Even with taking in a lot more calories, and working out, it was tough to put on size. I grew a couple more inches after graduating (I'm 6'2" now), and added about 20 lbs. I'm 33 now and weigh 186, but its not muscle really, Injuries have kind of set me back a bit.

I have regrets about my discipline during that time. I would do well for a month or so, and just fall off, and I would pick it up again later. Looking back on it now, I wish I had stuck with the program. My best advice would be: Don't deviate, stick to it, and you will get results. Get into a routine and stay motivated.

other than that, I guess my suggestion (like the others) is make it a priority to get in more calories without eating junk, and make the right decisions in the gym. Don't overdo it, let your muscles/body recover before hitting the weights again.
Last edited by Dee4Three on Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:47 am

Yes eating more smaller meals help as now my stomach shrank and I get full pretty fast
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Return to Off-Topic