Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Postby [Q] on Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:06 pm

I agree they could have done more with Finn but to me it as a hell of a lot more exciting and interesting than Luke & Rey trying to redo the whole Luke & yoda thing with Minions and comic relief.

I agree there was a bit of flawed logic in the movie, so I mean it was entertaining enough but it wasn't that great either
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:17 am

The Rose-Finn interaction is Rush Hour Star Wars version.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby bigh0rt on Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:24 am

Sauru wrote:i cant believe anyone actually liked the rose/finn story. finn was a surprise character for me in the first and i expected a lot from his character this time but the entire side story they had was nothing more than "we dont know what to do with finn so lets have him run off on some pointless mission to give him screen time"

over all the movie looked amazing but thats it. the story was on par with transformers and the fast and furious franchise. the way they shit on past star wars movies was just unforgivable to me. them jamming new creatures down our throats is nothing new but still annoying as hell also. multiple cases of forced humor and flawed logic has me ranking this movie lower than a jar jar solo flick

I got news for ya. Nostalgia aside, the original movies weren't that great either, aside from the (for the time) visuals. Pretty similar to how you feel about the new one(s). That's what this franchise always has been, and continues to be.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:46 pm

Finally got around to seeing it tonight. I liked it well enough, It felt a bit long though, and although I felt the action was generally good, it did pad out the film somewhat.

Since the overall arc of this trilogy is that history is repeating itself, I like that they're taking things in slightly different directions, such as killing off Snoke now instead of in the third film and having Kylo Ren seemingly slamming the door on redemption. Honestly, I hope he continues down that path and the only way for the Resistance to win is to take him out. He's a kid who went down the wrong path, wants to be Darth Vader but isn't, yet is still sticking to his guns regarding the Dark Side. Even if he is conflicted, he's still set on following the path he's chosen. There may be good left in him, but it's not enough, it doesn't matter. That's what I do like about his character. It'd be a letdown if he redeems himself, because it'd be a re-tread of Vader and doesn't fit his character. He's a lost cause, he's not going to turn. Or at least, he shouldn't.

As for the death of Luke Skywalker...well, unfortunately, much like the other major character that was killed off, some joker on Twitter actually spoiled it for me because they changed their name to give away both plot points. It was handled alright though, and in a way that still made it worth watching the story unfold and had the desired impact, even though I knew in the back of my mind that it was likely going to happen and that joker was intent on being a jerk. In hindsight, the twist in that scene is one I should've seen coming, given the different appearance Luke took on as a Force projection. Trusting that the spoiler was legit, and figuring it was after the first plot point came to pass, it was still alright.

I'm not calling it one of the best Star Wars films...in fact, having just watched it, I'm not sure where I'd rank it just yet. As I said, I liked it well enough, I didn't come away feeling like I wasted my time watching it. Keep in mind that while I like Star Wars, I'm not exactly a die-hard fan of the franchise either, so I may be more forgiving than others.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:52 am

Relevant to bigh0rt's post:

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bigh0rt on Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:56 am

:lol:
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby benji on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:57 pm

shadowgrin wrote:Not impressed with the climax since it's just a twist of what happened in Return of the Jedi.

You may not have noticed, but the entire new trilogy is the "first" trilogy rehashed, and seemingly deliberately so.

I won't go as far as bighort but I do like reminding people that Star Wars was always intended as sci-fi schlock based on old serials, they're what George Lucas came up with after he couldn't get the Flash Gordon license. And he never had any plan beyond the first movie where he hit onto the main hooks, the Jedi/Sith, the Empire/Rebellion and the notion that galactic non-entities (Luke and Han) can become the ultimate heroes.

Empire's "twist" was legitimately huge at the time, but it's not the lasting twist* that sells the film where ROTJ drags. It's not just the Vader revelation, it's that literally everyone gets the shit beat out of them because Vader wins. Luke loses his hand, is defeated by Vader and has to deal with the psychological impact. Han is frozen. C3PO is ripped up. Lando is made to betray them all. The rebellion gets its teeth kicked in at both the start and the end of the film. The film has no hopeful ending and no indication of how they're going to follow up. ROTJ's opening actually is arguably the "darkest" point of the original trilogy as Luke and Leia both take a step up in badass and the "team" goes all out in willing to murder anyone who opposes them directly and upend the Hutt Rule to save just Han alone, THEN they go deal with the whole SECOND DEATH STAR thing for the second half of the movie. Something which, before Lucas re-edited it and the Abrams reboot threw it out, was not the end of the war or the Rebellion or the Empire just because Vader throws the Emperor down a poorly placed endless shaft.

The Thrawn Trilogy, and the EU that originally followed, constructed a much more complete universe that logically followed what the three films showed us. With the Empire and Republic maneuvering in the wake of Jedi.

TFA and TLJ understand nothing about universe building and rehash the same points because it's Star Wars Kids making Star Wars movies as they remembered them. The characterization is just as bad. But arguably their biggest sins is that TFA literally "resets" the universe by blowing up the old one rather than deal with it. A JJ special.

*Especially if anyone views the films in their numerical order. Instead you have to watch them IV-V-(I-II-III)-VI as the prequels render Vader's "reveal" as a non-twist to the audience. (And create more questions considering Anakin has no emotions in the prequels, even slaughtering children multiple times, so why would he even care about his kid enough to topple the Emperor.)
benji

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:24 am

nice catch benji, an interesting read (Y)
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby [Q] on Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:27 am

When they did TFA I immediately knew they needed to replace the old stars with young replacements and repeat everything. That's why I liked the movie while a lot of people didn't understand that and hated it.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Previous

Return to Off-Topic