Do you still buy physical media?

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Do you still buy physical media?

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:52 pm

Physical media, or strictly digital, these days?

I still buy physical media when it comes to movies and TV shows. I do it for the special features, commentary, and whatnot, as well as the portability and ease of lending to friends. With a faster connection and higher download limit, however, I have found that I'm buying more games digitally, at least when it comes to PC. On PS4, it's a mix of discs and digital.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Do you still buy physical media?

Postby mp3 on Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:20 pm

Sure, ps4 games because when iam done playing them I can trade them in for money off and also from time to time I like to buy a "Slam" magazine and have a good read of it instead of reading stuff on my phone/tablet.

Just for old times sake to feel the paper between your fingers lol
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:27 am

I still the buy occasional basketball magazine as well. Certainly takes me back!
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby el badman on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:14 am

I've held on for as long as I could when it comes to music mostly, being a big collector for whom actual CDs couldn't possibly be replaced, but I gotta admit that I pretty much gave up on that a couple of years ago (only), especially after discovering the fountain of wonders that is Bandcamp. I had kind of the same philosophy when it comes to PC games, wanting to own the physical copies even after downloads had become more of the norm, but that one I gave up quite a few years ago, it was really pointless with Steam around.
All in all, I don't think I really buy any physical media anymore these days.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Lean on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:25 pm

Yes I still do. For games that I anticipate, I buy a physical copy (even though you download the rest on Steam). I completely download digitally off from Steam completely if it's on-sale.

For movies and comics though, I prefer physical copies.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby koberulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:33 pm

Very rarely go digital at all, games or movies/TV. I like actually having things, and being able to put them on a shelf. Have a few collector's editions with special packaging and everything.
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:07 pm

Definitely agree that there's a certain satisfaction in owning a physical product and displaying it on a shelf. Can't get that from digital, though storage is obviously less of a hassle that way.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:44 pm

Andrew wrote:storage is obviously less of a hassle that way.
No kidding.
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:12 pm

That looks a lot more impressive than files on a hard drive, though.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:00 am

i actually just sold all of my old physical media. we just bought a new house and during the move i said "wtf do i still have all these damn DVD's" so we went and sold them all. now that i have sold off my PS4 i dont think i have any physical media any more
Sauru

Postby benji on Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:51 pm

PC Games don't come in physical boxes anymore, stop foolin'.

Plus they're just boxes with a steam/origin key inside probably.
benji

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:21 am

Good point. I can't remember the last time I bought a physical copy of a PC game; it's only been PS4 (and some retro collecting) the last few years.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby formx on Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:09 am

I bought the physical DVD copy of Overwatch few months ago. Most of my PS4 games are physical copies with exception of a 2 or 3 sports titles, so I still buy physical with exception of most PC games I own tbh.

PhatGeezer wrote:NovU, you're a fantasy bball hero to me and all but I don't know why whenever I see you post in this thread it reminds me of me checking my balls for bumps whenever I see those testicular cancer awareness ads on tv... Once I felt nothing unusual on it, I know everything will be fine...
formx

Postby Cpt(K) on Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:05 pm

Most of my video games are physical copies. There's only 9 games on my PS3 that are digital, and about 4 on my PS4 that are digital. My PC has a little more (thanks to Steam).
Cpt(K)

Postby bigh0rt on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:01 pm

Sauru wrote:i actually just sold all of my old physical media. we just bought a new house and during the move i said "wtf do i still have all these damn DVD's" so we went and sold them all. now that i have sold off my PS4 i dont think i have any physical media any more

I did the same exact thing in August, minus the new house. There's a relatively new store in the local mall named 'Cex' that buys old DVDs/Blu-Rays, so I went and sold every single one I had, along with every physical game I had. It was great to get them out of the house.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:42 am

Video games are the only thing I have physical copies of, because I like having a little collection. However, I often can't resist a cheap game on PSN
Lamrock

Postby [Q] on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:32 am

I stopped buying dvds like 10 years ago. Just about the only thing I do still prefer is disc based video games because I hate waiting for downloads and for reselling if I choose to do that
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:04 am

That's basically why I still buy DVDs. There are times when I don't want to use up the monthly data allowance on streaming, or otherwise find physical media more convenient when I want to watch a movie or binge on a favourite TV series. Then there's the extra features, too.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:03 pm

i will say that i have been data cap free for the last 2 years and when i move to my new house i will once again be back with a cap so we will see. comcast claims 1TB is more than 99% of people will ever use. if thats true i guess i am finally a 1 percenter
Sauru

Postby Sauru on Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:04 pm

you see what happened was........................
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:35 pm

A data free cap might make me reconsider, but I still like the portability of physical media for some things.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:05 pm

i still buy some collectors editions if i want the box/extras. thats about it
Sauru

Postby benji on Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:31 pm

I recently had a 1TB data cap added "for my convenience" after not having one. It lasts longer than you'd imagine because you don't really realize how many days you only use like 10GB and yet streamed a ton of 720p+ youtube which is nothing in a month.

Though I'm glad I did my Windows 10 and most of game library install back without a cap. Now adding something like 2K17's 54GB ain't no thang. But if I was getting that PLUS all the other games still, etc.

To be fair, I was transitioning drives then, now I have all the games installed on a completely different 3TB drive from Windows except a handful.
benji

Return to Off-Topic