Massive Windows 10 Woes.....

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Massive Windows 10 Woes.....

Postby JaoSming on Sun May 08, 2016 5:14 pm

Holy shit, the last 48 hours is just issue after issue after issue after issue, I can barely keep track anymore.

Tried getting Forza Apex from the Store this week. Realized it was downloading to my poor SSD so I hit cancel. Store crashed? I guess because it disappeared, and would no longer open. Just flash open and close. Then I realized all my stupid "Apps" were doing this, like the Xbox app which I actually used for the streaming. But calculator, weather, photos, it all just flashes open and immediately closes.

Tried PowerShell stuff for apps, kept getting red errors with some solutions that went down rabbit holes, or simply didn't work.

Ended up reinstalling Windows 10 in-place (keeps everything installed). Which did nothing.

After that failed, found out that my account is actually the dreaded "built-in administrator" account, which is evidently really really really bad on me for using day-to-day. Now whenever I tried to open an App I got a "built-in administrator can't open this" error.

So F it, I'll just abandon this "built-in administrator" account and goto a local user and sign in there. Nope. Can't sign in on another user because my Microsoft account is already attached to the "built-in administrator" account. Can't sign out of the Microsoft account because my "Sign-in options" page in Settings/Accounts just infinitely loads. Mail drops a 0x80070525 error which I guess is good for diagnostic needs, but wtf.

So, anyone have any ideas? Ideally without nuking it all and installing fresh.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Re: Massive Windows 10 Woes.....

Postby shadowgrin on Sun May 08, 2016 7:18 pm

Ask the tech guys there in 2K.

Nuke it from orbit, if nothing else.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Sun May 08, 2016 8:01 pm

At this point, it sounds like a fresh install is about the only option...or at least, the best one, with the least amount of fuss.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jackal on Mon May 09, 2016 4:19 am

Try to get in touch with tech support about the account linking? If they can unlink it somehow you might just be able to sign in as a local user instead of built in administrator. (Ask them to link to a backup Live account perhaps?) Odd you can't do something like that yourself.

It must be registered in some registry setting, right?
Jackal

Postby JaoSming on Mon May 09, 2016 6:10 am

That's what I thought, but after restarting I never got to check. Got the hour-long blue screen with dot circle loading screen, followed by a "log-in" screen stuck on another circle of fucking dots.

Tried using a recovery USB, hard drive was locked.

Tried using the media recovery USB with a custom upgrade/repair, failed. Same blue screen bullshit.

Tried doing a fresh install "The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

Didn't trust the automatic settings because my storage drive is evidently hooked in as Drive 0 and the setup kept defaulting to it. So I unplugged it, ran the automatic settings fresh install, and now I have Forza Apex downloaded.

Granted, I don't give a shit about Forza Apex, just going to play more Wreckfest anyway, but holy fuck. All of this because I cancelled a download, and somehow loopholed my way to tying a M$ account to the built-in administrator, without even trying.

Fack. Now to reinstall the world, but at least Defender has already found all the malware on my storage drive and nuked it.....as in my RED MC exes and WWE trainers. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Mon May 09, 2016 9:29 am

That's a pain. I'm not a fan of the way boot and recovery options are handled in Windows 8.1 and 10. They've been changed to streamline things/improve boot times, but they make troubleshooting a bigger hassle than before.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Mon May 09, 2016 6:56 pm

Don't worry, given the current Windows development trend, they're going to copy Linux' way of booting and partitioning (read as "how would normal person do it") soon.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby mp3 on Tue May 10, 2016 1:19 am

Separate issue but for some reason all weekend my wife's work laptop that runs on windows 10 would not connect to the Internet at all while at home but every single other device worked fine even a windows 7 laptop, really not a fan of windows 10 and deeply regret the saying ok to the misses saying should we click ok to upgrade after months of ignoring it (n)
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby benji on Tue May 10, 2016 1:16 pm

The Windows Store somehow has become progressively worse as Microsoft has invested in it. When it first came out on the 8 beta you couldn't even do this because it automatically set a separate account/admin flag or something, and everyone bitched about it because they didn't want to have to "sudo" by clicking "ok" or whatever for new apps.
Dommy73 wrote:Don't worry, given the current Windows development trend, they're going to copy Linux' way of booting and partitioning (read as "how would normal person do it") soon.

They've actually pretty clearly stated this since 7. It's one reason Windows 10 doesn't automatically eat alive GRUB when it finds it. (To be fair, 8.1 upgrade was the first Windows not to trash GRUB all to hell automatically and instead stuck UEFI behind it if a previous version was.)
benji

Postby ThePointForward on Tue May 10, 2016 7:57 pm

I always used separate physical drives for multiple OSs, so I've had no issues with Windows trying get rid of GRUB.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Return to Off-Topic