Tom Clancy's: The Division

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Tom Clancy's: The Division

Postby Izzy Snow on Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:55 am

Got the beta on PC and Xbox One and I must say, this game is actually pretty good. Got a video of it if anyone wants to see how it looks maxed out on PC.

phpBB [video]
Izzy Snow
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: Tom Clancy's: The Division

Postby Lamrock on Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:32 am

It looks fun, but I just don't trust Ubisoft.
Image
User avatar
Lamrock
 
Posts: 10735
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:02 pm
Location: Pacific Northwets

Re: Tom Clancy's: The Division

Postby Izzy Snow on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:40 am

Lamrock wrote:It looks fun, but I just don't trust Ubisoft.


I don't blame you. Any PC game really has been kinda shaky lately with day one release. But I like the confidence that Ubisoft is showing by releasing such an extensive beta. It speaks volumes.
Izzy Snow
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: Tom Clancy's: The Division

Postby Pdub on Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:51 pm

I was watching a dev play on twitch. It looked boring as hell. He wouldn't address things like the graphics downgrade from E3 2013, and sat there and watched a dog animate and squat to take a crap.

I'm with Lamrock on Ubisoft. I smell a cash grab. The game is done(out in March), there is no need for this beta other than to gain interest or help get a early patch out.

So, what do you do in the game other than shoot "enemies" and find new weapons? What's the goal?
Pdub
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 13209
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 5:54 pm
Location: Pasadena, California, US

Re: Tom Clancy's: The Division

Postby Izzy Snow on Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:53 pm

Pdub wrote:I was watching a dev play on twitch. It looked boring as hell. He wouldn't address things like the graphics downgrade from E3 2013, and sat there and watched a dog animate and squat to take a crap.

I'm with Lamrock on Ubisoft. I smell a cash grab. The game is done(out in March), there is no need for this beta other than to gain interest or help get a early patch out.

So, what do you do in the game other than shoot "enemies" and find new weapons? What's the goal?


It's sorta like Destiny and I know some comparisons have been made with that game. I personally didn't get into Destiny much but I understand it's appeal. If you like to loot weapons, upgrades, and play with friends, this is your game.
Izzy Snow
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: Tom Clancy's: The Division

Postby JaoSming on Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:49 am

I really liked Destiny at launch, but never got really into it... but I had a blast with this during the betas doing the 1 or 2 missions then fucking around in the dark zone.

And I had a blast again last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LhqmJD1lo4
phpBB [video]


I can see why some people wouldn't like it, and the graphics downgrade is lame, but I'm having fun with it so far. This is the only bullet-sponge game with leveling that I've enjoyed (at least so far).
Opinions are my own.
Right Click Loop
phpBB [video]

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8ozxhwwmz4LJzpGAj22T5qa0ZVFBJ3yw

User avatar
JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer
 
Posts: 29905
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:45 am
Location: 2K

Re: Tom Clancy's: The Division

Postby Cpt(K) on Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:00 am

Well, I pre-orded it, which is something I don't usually do. I don't wanna be a spoil sport, but I think I'll be a little remorseful, although my copy hasn't arrived in the mail yet. However, I was able to listen in and watch some friends play. I mean, they were having severe connection issues with the servers, which may be normal for this type of game on release day.

I personally don't have high expectations for the game anymore, and this was in part, because I learned there is no equip burden. So, I can run around and sprint as fast as the next guy who has a M249SAW, and assault rifle on his back-- along with hundreds of rounds of ammunition.

Sure, there's an inventory limit-- that's bare minimum-- a game of this budget should be able to implement something plenty of other "tactical" 3rd person shooters have (looking at SOCOM 1-3, not the abomination that is 4). Did they not figure people would like something as tactical as splinter cell (without the heavy stealth elements, of course)? I wasn't looking for a simulation (Arma has that covered), but I didn't want an arcade, where you just run around with reckless abandon. The only regard for selecting weapons in the game, appears to be the damage output, nothing more. No concern for the weight of equipment, other than a goofy, lazy, "tactical" inventory limit.

I'll be playing the game on PS4, and I hope my skepticism isn't too accurate. I'd like to be wrong.
User avatar
Cpt(K)
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:49 am
Location: Purple area of Illinois

Re: Tom Clancy's: The Division

Postby Izzy Snow on Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:52 am

JaoSming wrote:I really liked Destiny at launch, but never got really into it... but I had a blast with this during the betas doing the 1 or 2 missions then fucking around in the dark zone.

And I had a blast again last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LhqmJD1lo4
phpBB [video]


I can see why some people wouldn't like it, and the graphics downgrade is lame, but I'm having fun with it so far. This is the only bullet-sponge game with leveling that I've enjoyed (at least so far).


Same here. Enjoyed Destiny at launch but after about 2 weeks, didn't play it as much. I also had fun with the closed and open beta of Division. Even after that, I was hesitant to purchase because I'm currently hooked with Gears of War UE. After watching someone stream it early last night I got really excited again. Watching your vid elevates that excitement. As for someone that has a PC more powerful than most people (980 TI SLI), I'm actually impressed with how the graphics look. I think some are obviously disappointed because it doesn't live up to the E3 trailers but c'mon guys. This is Ubisoft. Y'all should know by now.

I'm looking forward to playing this for a couple of hours tonight.
Izzy Snow
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: Tom Clancy's: The Division

Postby Izzy Snow on Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:53 am

Cpt(K) wrote:Well, I pre-orded it, which is something I don't usually do. I don't wanna be a spoil sport, but I think I'll be a little remorseful, although my copy hasn't arrived in the mail yet. However, I was able to listen in and watch some friends play. I mean, they were having severe connection issues with the servers, which may be normal for this type of game on release day.

I personally don't have high expectations for the game anymore, and this was in part, because I learned there is no equip burden. So, I can run around and sprint as fast as the next guy who has a M249SAW, and assault rifle on his back-- along with hundreds of rounds of ammunition.

Sure, there's an inventory limit-- that's bare minimum-- a game of this budget should be able to implement something plenty of other "tactical" 3rd person shooters have (looking at SOCOM 1-3, not the abomination that is 4). Did they not figure people would like something as tactical as splinter cell (without the heavy stealth elements, of course)? I wasn't looking for a simulation (Arma has that covered), but I didn't want an arcade, where you just run around with reckless abandon. The only regard for selecting weapons in the game, appears to be the damage output, nothing more. No concern for the weight of equipment, other than a goofy, lazy, "tactical" inventory limit.

I'll be playing the game on PS4, and I hope my skepticism isn't too accurate. I'd like to be wrong.


Hope you end up liking it. Let us know after some time with it.
Izzy Snow
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: Tom Clancy's: The Division

Postby Pdub on Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:44 am

I'm watching streams of it. To me, if you like borderlands, post apocalyptic games, and multiplayer rpg games, you might like it.

I'm not spending $60 on it(it's buggy) and I won't get it unless I have a few people to play with who are also getting it.
Pdub
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 13209
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 5:54 pm
Location: Pasadena, California, US

Re: Tom Clancy's: The Division

Postby Izzy Snow on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:46 pm

Pdub wrote:I'm watching streams of it. To me, if you like borderlands, post apocalyptic games, and multiplayer rpg games, you might like it.

I'm not spending $60 on it(it's buggy) and I won't get it unless I have a few people to play with who are also getting it.


Yup it's definitely a game to be played with friends for a better overall experience. I played for over an hour last night and I will say I had fun just playing with one other person.
Izzy Snow
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: Tom Clancy's: The Division

Postby Cpt(K) on Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:44 am

Yeah, I cancelled my order a little while ago. I think I'll settle for it to go down in price, looking over a couple of reviews it doesn't seem as stellar as I hoped it would be. I mean, I'll still get it-- not right now though. I have no interest in the full game anyway, and so standard edition is what I'll look for.
User avatar
Cpt(K)
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:49 am
Location: Purple area of Illinois

Re: Tom Clancy's: The Division

Postby Izzy Snow on Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:49 am

My thoughts again about the graphics.

phpBB [video]
Izzy Snow
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: Tom Clancy's: The Division

Postby [Q] on Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:58 am

This game sounds like it's going the Watchdogs route, fizzling out after much hype. Seems like lazy devs are too ambitious and companies have to cut costs because these games cost too much to make nowadays.
Image
User avatar
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 12960
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:20 am
Location: Westside, the best side

Re: Tom Clancy's: The Division

Postby Cpt(K) on Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:13 pm

Well, I bought it finally, after being badgered by my friends to join them. I'm not too far behind them, I spent 4 hours on the game. It isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it does leave something to be desired. I was able to solo the hospital mission on hard at level 4. I died plenty of times during my solo attempt, but I accomplished it.

I've acquired an array of equipment, and have tried to cope with the no-equip-burden by limiting my loadout. My primary would almost always be a rifle, whether automatic, semi, or single. My actual secondary I contend is the pistol (socom/splinter-cell influence), with my other weapon being an smg of sorts.

The game can be fun, especially with cooperation. Alone, the game can be a little annoying. Particularly playing on the hard, and I imagine the challenging (I'm not level 30 yet) difficulty. I haven't had any connectivity issues yet really, and so I'm more pleased I waited instead of trying at the release date.
User avatar
Cpt(K)
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:49 am
Location: Purple area of Illinois

Re: Tom Clancy's: The Division

Postby Izzy Snow on Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:47 am

Cpt(K) wrote:Well, I bought it finally, after being badgered by my friends to join them. I'm not too far behind them, I spent 4 hours on the game. It isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it does leave something to be desired. I was able to solo the hospital mission on hard at level 4. I died plenty of times during my solo attempt, but I accomplished it.

I've acquired an array of equipment, and have tried to cope with the no-equip-burden by limiting my loadout. My primary would almost always be a rifle, whether automatic, semi, or single. My actual secondary I contend is the pistol (socom/splinter-cell influence), with my other weapon being an smg of sorts.

The game can be fun, especially with cooperation. Alone, the game can be a little annoying. Particularly playing on the hard, and I imagine the challenging (I'm not level 30 yet) difficulty. I haven't had any connectivity issues yet really, and so I'm more pleased I waited instead of trying at the release date.


Yeah man I think a lot of people are like you and are surprised at how much they actually like the game once given the chance. I've played both solo and co-op and of course, playing with friends is more fun but I'm actually surprised at how much fun I have going lone wolf. I just hit level 10 and I spend 4600 on a level 10 Marksman Rifle that's pretty much good for OSOK headshots. Then I have a blue level secondary SMG. Game is addicting af man and I don't think it's difficult at all to level up if you grind like many of my friends seem to be doing. Many of my Xbox friends are already level 30 or close.

The world is so big because there's many buildings that you can actually go into and I haven't even locked certain sections. I'm taking my time with it. I don't need to grind it although, maybe I should because once Gears of War 4 beta starts for me on 4/18, no other game will matter.
Izzy Snow
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: Tom Clancy's: The Division

Postby Izzy Snow on Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:26 am

Cpt(K) wrote:Well, I bought it finally, after being badgered by my friends to join them. I'm not too far behind them, I spent 4 hours on the game. It isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it does leave something to be desired. I was able to solo the hospital mission on hard at level 4. I died plenty of times during my solo attempt, but I accomplished it.

I've acquired an array of equipment, and have tried to cope with the no-equip-burden by limiting my loadout. My primary would almost always be a rifle, whether automatic, semi, or single. My actual secondary I contend is the pistol (socom/splinter-cell influence), with my other weapon being an smg of sorts.

The game can be fun, especially with cooperation. Alone, the game can be a little annoying. Particularly playing on the hard, and I imagine the challenging (I'm not level 30 yet) difficulty. I haven't had any connectivity issues yet really, and so I'm more pleased I waited instead of trying at the release date.


It's been over a month since your comment and I'm curious to know if you are still playing this game. I still am. I've put over 150 hours on it. As I told Andrew in the mailbag call, I've played the game both legit (mostly) and played doing some of the glitches and to be quite honest, who hasn't? Whether you consider farming "Police Academy" or Lexington Even aka "Crazy Larae Ray" as I like to call her, a glitch, I'd like to say I've grinded the game more than I ever anticipated. I'm looking forward to the DLC and also the next free update in May. I'm not quite at "bored with the game" level yet but I feel it coming.
Izzy Snow
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: Tom Clancy's: The Division

Postby Cpt(K) on Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:34 am

Oh I've played it occasionally, but almost only with other friends of mine. Fewer other times just to "catch up" or speed ahead of my friends. Not just any friends, but the ones I actually know in daily life. Just yesterday I was on the Division, again, only at he behest of my friends. We're usually a group of 3, and our levels are 25 (Security Wing focused), 26 (Medical Wing focused), and 27 (Tech Wing focused). I'm the highest so far in the group, and have had my share of complaints. Hilariously so, as they almost always predict what I'm about to gripe about.

I did grind in the game to a degree too;I thought it would be hilarious to have an agent stay in a particular DZ player bracket (15-19, or 1-14). What I did was acquire superior items everywhere in my inventory, and my equipment. Then I decided to see just how powerful, or unbalanced, I could be.

What ended up happening was that my friends eventually caught up and wanted me to continue to "level up" with them, and so I did. However, I ended up creating another agent who is currently decked in specialized equipment (although, he has a few superior items). I'm keeping him in the 1-14 bracket, and he'll mainly serve as my PVP agent. This is similar to my practice in FromSoftware's Souls Series, where I deliberately stop leveling up in favor of acquiring the best gear possible, so I can steam-roll through other players at that same level. Eventually in the Division I encountered players who rivaled my equipment too, and so I'm probably not the only one.

I wouldn't consider myself "bored" at this point, but I am still disappointed with a few things in the game. No game that I've played has been perfect, but I would say I have played better than this. I guess I was expecting a SOCOM with soft Splinter Cell stealth elements in the game, which obviously the game falls short of. I haven't purchased the Season pass, but I may at some point, it depends on what content they have to offer-- and what Dark Souls III leaves for my appetite.
User avatar
Cpt(K)
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:49 am
Location: Purple area of Illinois

Re: Tom Clancy's: The Division

Postby Izzy Snow on Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:25 am

Cpt(K) wrote:Oh I've played it occasionally, but almost only with other friends of mine. Fewer other times just to "catch up" or speed ahead of my friends. Not just any friends, but the ones I actually know in daily life. Just yesterday I was on the Division, again, only at he behest of my friends. We're usually a group of 3, and our levels are 25 (Security Wing focused), 26 (Medical Wing focused), and 27 (Tech Wing focused). I'm the highest so far in the group, and have had my share of complaints. Hilariously so, as they almost always predict what I'm about to gripe about.

I did grind in the game to a degree too;I thought it would be hilarious to have an agent stay in a particular DZ player bracket (15-19, or 1-14). What I did was acquire superior items everywhere in my inventory, and my equipment. Then I decided to see just how powerful, or unbalanced, I could be.

What ended up happening was that my friends eventually caught up and wanted me to continue to "level up" with them, and so I did. However, I ended up creating another agent who is currently decked in specialized equipment (although, he has a few superior items). I'm keeping him in the 1-14 bracket, and he'll mainly serve as my PVP agent. This is similar to my practice in FromSoftware's Souls Series, where I deliberately stop leveling up in favor of acquiring the best gear possible, so I can steam-roll through other players at that same level. Eventually in the Division I encountered players who rivaled my equipment too, and so I'm probably not the only one.

I wouldn't consider myself "bored" at this point, but I am still disappointed with a few things in the game. No game that I've played has been perfect, but I would say I have played better than this. I guess I was expecting a SOCOM with soft Splinter Cell stealth elements in the game, which obviously the game falls short of. I haven't purchased the Season pass, but I may at some point, it depends on what content they have to offer-- and what Dark Souls III leaves for my appetite.


The game is definitely more fun when played with friends especially ones that already know how to run the missions w/o us having to communicate much. I played the Lexington Event mission on challenging the other night with some randoms and it was harder than it should have been because they didn't know to run pass the enemies at the point where you secure Ramos and then they didn't even know to rush the 2 snipers at the end right before you see Barrett. Played it last night w/my buddy and 2 other randoms and we breezed through that mission in like 10 mins.

You inspired me to create a second character so this time I made a female agent. Playing the game again from the beginning was surprisingly fun.
Izzy Snow
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: Tom Clancy's: The Division

Postby Cpt(K) on Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:38 am

Izzy Snow wrote:The game is definitely more fun when played with friends especially ones that already know how to run the missions w/o us having to communicate much. I played the Lexington Event mission on challenging the other night with some randoms and it was harder than it should have been because they didn't know to run pass the enemies at the point where you secure Ramos and then they didn't even know to rush the 2 snipers at the end right before you see Barrett. Played it last night w/my buddy and 2 other randoms and we breezed through that mission in like 10 mins.

You inspired me to create a second character so this time I made a female agent. Playing the game again from the beginning was surprisingly fun.



If you were going to have your second agent more PVP oriented, I would go for the medical signature skill first before anything else. I tried and failed to 100% the Tech Wing with my second agent, but there were not enough Tech Wing missions available without raising my level above the 1-14 player bracket. You'll typically encounter higher skilled player's as you enter higher brackets, and so optimizing your agent for 1-14 is what I recommend, but is not necessary. I'll probably eventually move my second agent into the 15-19 bracket (capping him at 19), and return to what I was doing with my first agent; he had superior equipment across the board, and was successfully able to dispatch a squad of 4 (rogue) agents (video below, sorry for poor mic quality). Not in the video description: they had it in for me, I think because I was being a jerk earlier that day. :lol:

phpBB [video]
User avatar
Cpt(K)
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:49 am
Location: Purple area of Illinois

Re: Tom Clancy's: The Division

Postby Izzy Snow on Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:14 am

Cpt(K) wrote:
Izzy Snow wrote:The game is definitely more fun when played with friends especially ones that already know how to run the missions w/o us having to communicate much. I played the Lexington Event mission on challenging the other night with some randoms and it was harder than it should have been because they didn't know to run pass the enemies at the point where you secure Ramos and then they didn't even know to rush the 2 snipers at the end right before you see Barrett. Played it last night w/my buddy and 2 other randoms and we breezed through that mission in like 10 mins.

You inspired me to create a second character so this time I made a female agent. Playing the game again from the beginning was surprisingly fun.



If you were going to have your second agent more PVP oriented, I would go for the medical signature skill first before anything else. I tried and failed to 100% the Tech Wing with my second agent, but there were not enough Tech Wing missions available without raising my level above the 1-14 player bracket. You'll typically encounter higher skilled player's as you enter higher brackets, and so optimizing your agent for 1-14 is what I recommend, but is not necessary. I'll probably eventually move my second agent into the 15-19 bracket (capping him at 19), and return to what I was doing with my first agent; he had superior equipment across the board, and was successfully able to dispatch a squad of 4 (rogue) agents (video below, sorry for poor mic quality). Not in the video description: they had it in for me, I think because I was being a jerk earlier that day. :lol:

phpBB [video]


I actually enjoy just playing PVE for the most part so I'm just gonna make a tank build. Nice vid. I subbed (Y)
Izzy Snow
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: Tom Clancy's: The Division

Postby [Q] on Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:14 pm

phpBB [video]

related video about Ubisoft's bait and switch program.

This is what I was thinking after playing Watchdogs and after the hype from E3 demos
Image
User avatar
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 12960
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:20 am
Location: Westside, the best side

Re: Tom Clancy's: The Division

Postby JaoSming on Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:07 am

at least with PC Watchdogs that hidden "E3" shader file was left in.
Opinions are my own.
Right Click Loop
phpBB [video]

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8ozxhwwmz4LJzpGAj22T5qa0ZVFBJ3yw

User avatar
JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer
 
Posts: 29905
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:45 am
Location: 2K

Re: Tom Clancy's: The Division

Postby [Q] on Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:38 pm

it would be like the equivalent of 2K putting Jao's jiggle animation in the e3 hype video and then leaving it out of the game.
Image
User avatar
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 12960
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:20 am
Location: Westside, the best side

Re: Tom Clancy's: The Division

Postby Izzy Snow on Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:29 am

[Q] wrote:
phpBB [video]

related video about Ubisoft's bait and switch program.

This is what I was thinking after playing Watchdogs and after the hype from E3 demos


Haha I've learned from Ubisoft and any game trailers actually that most of the time, the final game never looks like the trailers.
Izzy Snow
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:27 pm


Return to Off-Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests