Oculus Rift Owners Thread

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Oculus Rift Owners Thread

Postby Izzy Snow on Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:18 am

I'm probably gonna be the lone crazy mofo in this website that actually will own or pre-ordered the Oculus Rift today. $630 with shipping! MIne is expected to ship in March. Went back online to see pre-orders and now it says expected to ship April. I have no clue what the actual release date is. I hope I got in early enough to get it on the actual release date.

Anyone else crazy enough like me to be an early adopter?
Izzy Snow

Re: Oculus Rift Owners Thread

Postby JaoSming on Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:22 am

I'm probably going to end up with something by the end of the year, but I'd top out at $400 and it'd have to support PC (shit, gotta check my if my computer can even run VR). So I'll probably pick up Google Cardboard in December and wait for price drops.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Izzy Snow on Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:01 am

JaoSming wrote:I'm probably going to end up with something by the end of the year, but I'd top out at $400 and it'd have to support PC (shit, gotta check my if my computer can even run VR). So I'll probably pick up Google Cardboard in December and wait for price drops.

Yeah the requirements are up there. This is definitely not targeted at mainstream gamers. But from the looks of it, I was lucky to get into the first batch of shipments as now the pre-orders are for May shipments. I know I'm taking a gamble at this tech but judging by the upcoming competition from HTC and Sony, it looks like VR will be here to stay for a while.
Izzy Snow

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:23 am

If they don't set some kind of standard, they will end up just like 3D. I'm just going to wait and see how things go after everything is released and reviewed, etc.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:37 am

A friend of mine picked up one of the development kits a year or so ago. Cool idea and a bit of fun, but I'm in no rush to get one myself. I couldn't justify the purchase right now to begin with, but I also don't think I'd have much use for it. But something to keep an eye on.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Izzy Snow on Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:21 am

Pdub wrote:If they don't set some kind of standard, they will end up just like 3D. I'm just going to wait and see how things go after everything is released and reviewed, etc.

I think both Facebook and Oculus don't expect VR to "fully" take off in it's 1st generation. The technology will improve (obviously) over time and the parts will get cheaper as well. I don't think it will fail but it will be one of those niche market type of things. 3D didn't exactly fail either. Look at new movies in theaters. People actually pay extra for the IMAX 3D experience and half of the new TV's in the market have 3D technology built in.
Izzy Snow

Postby Izzy Snow on Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:23 am

Andrew wrote:A friend of mine picked up one of the development kits a year or so ago. Cool idea and a bit of fun, but I'm in no rush to get one myself. I couldn't justify the purchase right now to begin with, but I also don't think I'd have much use for it. But something to keep an eye on.

I think once word of mouth gets out and you start seeing more games take full advantage of the technology, people are gonna end up wanting these. For me, the purchase was justifiable as it's no different that buying a PC monitor for my "personal" experience that I can share with my family.
Izzy Snow

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:17 pm

Izzy Snow wrote:
Pdub wrote:If they don't set some kind of standard, they will end up just like 3D. I'm just going to wait and see how things go after everything is released and reviewed, etc.

I think both Facebook and Oculus don't expect VR to "fully" take off in it's 1st generation. The technology will improve (obviously) over time and the parts will get cheaper as well. I don't think it will fail but it will be one of those niche market type of things. 3D didn't exactly fail either. Look at new movies in theaters. People actually pay extra for the IMAX 3D experience and half of the new TV's in the market have 3D technology built in.

I meant 3D for gaming. Although, one could look at VR as an evolution of stereoscopic gaming, as it creates a much more immersive experience. While VR seems to be mostly for first-person experiences, I remember playing 2K in 3D and I was able to judge angles better with a 3D view for things like rebounds and passing. I don't understand it fully, I just played better when using 3D. Maybe 2K and Live will adopt VR and show off the immersive arena atmosphere.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:28 pm

As cool as I think it is, I wonder if it'll ever be utilised in a way that'll make it into mainstream gaming design, or whether it'll end up being a gimmick (like 3D) or somewhat niche (as motion controls sort of are).
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Izzy Snow on Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:58 am

Hopefully Jaosming sees this but I was thinking, if NBA2K could somehow incorporate a first person mode for MyCareer using VR headsets, that could be a game changer.
Izzy Snow

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:09 pm

Now, here's a game worthy of the tech... Finally, a Desert Bus Sequel Has Been Announced
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:36 pm

General VR thread?

Woo!

Vive price = $800

woo...

Going to wait to see how everything adapts and works. Vive looks like the better experience, but $200 more....
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Izzy Snow on Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:04 pm

JaoSming wrote:General VR thread?

[ Image ]

Woo!

Vive price = $800

woo...

Going to wait to see how everything adapts and works. Vive looks like the better experience, but $200 more....

Comes with a bit more than the Oculus with two motion controllers and the sensors. All depends on how the Rift prices their motion controller to see if they're the same price wise. I'm getting excited for the Rift though. One more month. I'll be sure to post my impressions on here.
Izzy Snow

Postby Izzy Snow on Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:06 am

Canceling my pre-order. Starting another thread that explains why.
Izzy Snow

Return to Off-Topic