Random GTA Talk Thread

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:30 am

Definitely. The first couple of stages inside the warehouse aren't too bad but when the debris starts forcing you to take longer routes on the forklift things start to go awry.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andreas Dahl on Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:51 pm

The GTA IV website has been updated with some screens and soundtrack info.. http://www.gtaiv.com/

http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/screens/102.jpg
I like :)
Andreas Dahl

Postby Andrew on Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:13 pm

Looks cool and I'll be getting it as soon as it comes out, but I'm still a bit wary of some of the new things I've read about. Hopefully that will just mean I enjoy it all the more.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Lean on Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:35 pm

I thought that screen was pre-rendered :doh:, my eyes need serious help. They look pretty nice. (Y)
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Sauru on Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:33 am

Andrew wrote:Looks cool and I'll be getting it as soon as it comes out, but I'm still a bit wary of some of the new things I've read about. Hopefully that will just mean I enjoy it all the more.

i agree, the game looks real good but i am mostly concerned about the controls and how they will work now that they said they were changed
Sauru

Postby Jeffx on Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:05 am

Andrew wrote:Definitely. The first couple of stages inside the warehouse aren't too bad but when the debris starts forcing you to take longer routes on the forklift things start to go awry.

Only took me five times this go-round.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:38 am

Sauru wrote:i agree, the game looks real good but i am mostly concerned about the controls and how they will work now that they said they were changed

I'm still also concerned that the more realistic approach is going to place the player at a disadvantage, such as not being able to carry an unrealistic amount of weapons and ammunition but requiring it to finish the mission because the people you are facing have unlimited ammo.

Jeffx wrote:Only took me five times this go-round.

I can't remember how many attempts it took me. I haven't started a new game since then so it's been a while since I played it. I hated the quad race as well, I got stuck on that for a few attempts.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:06 am

Andrew wrote:
Sauru wrote:i agree, the game looks real good but i am mostly concerned about the controls and how they will work now that they said they were changed

I'm still also concerned that the more realistic approach is going to place the player at a disadvantage, such as not being able to carry an unrealistic amount of weapons and ammunition but requiring it to finish the mission because the people you are facing have unlimited ammo.

if we had limited ammo and the other guys also had a limited supply then i could deal with it, but i think you might be right where we run out and they just keep shooting endlessly. also if they take the realistic approach will cops actually patrol or will they just suddenly appear again when you start commiting crimes?
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:23 am

Definitely, if I can hold back and avoid their fire while they waste their ammo then step out and get the job done as it were, it wouldn't be so bad. Or, if they do have unlimited ammo, it shouldn't take an unreasonable amount of shots to complete an objective, unless of course we can carry an unreasonable amount of ammo.

It sounds like the realism with the cops will work out well, especially in terms of shaking them and laying low by escaping their search field and staying hidden long enough to avoid drawing attention to yourself. If they appear out of nowhere that's going to spoil it a bit.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:28 am

Andrew wrote:It sounds like the realism with the cops will work out well, especially in terms of shaking them and laying low by escaping their search field and staying hidden long enough to avoid drawing attention to yourself. If they appear out of nowhere that's going to spoil it a bit.

That's how it works in the Scarface game.

I don't want too much realism at the expense of things that are unique to the GTA universe.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:51 pm

Same here, though it would no doubt please some people who dislike the previous approach to the games. I can't say I agree with some of the criticisms that have been made of the existing games in a few of the GTA IV previews; I know "Dark" plus "Realistic" is supposed to equal "Great" these days but I don't necessarily want too much realism in GTA. In NBA Live, yes, but in GTA, not necessarily. The innuendo and dark humour added to the games much more than they took away, in my opinion.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:10 am

Where Would You Live?

Liberty City - Asuka's condo on Staunton Island

Vice City - Mercedes' crib in Vice Point

San Andreas - the safehouse in Prickle Pine(Las Venturas)
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:18 am

I'll go with Vice City, though I'm so far behind in San Andreas I can't comment on anything in Las Venturas.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:35 am

Andrew wrote:I'll go with Vice City, though I'm so far behind in San Andreas I can't comment on anything in Las Venturas.

No, no, I meant what would be your favorite place to live in each city. Those are my personal choices.
Jeffx

Postby Lean on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:41 am

Andrew wrote:...though I'm so far behind in San Andreas I can't comment on anything in Las Venturas.

Me too, ever since the plane missions pissed me off I stopped playing SA. I'd "visit" Las Venturas using a speed boat and run-off because I get a 5-star wanted level.

And I can't remember anything about GTA III. :|

I'd pick Cortez's mansion in Vice City, and the Sunshine Motors property, a lot of kick-ass cars. (Y)

And in San Andreas, I'd be anywhere but Angel Pine. I went nuts when I got there, damn I saved my bullets for the "Green Sabre" mission and eventually lost it.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:31 am

Jeffx wrote:
Andrew wrote:I'll go with Vice City, though I'm so far behind in San Andreas I can't comment on anything in Las Venturas.

No, no, I meant what would be your favorite place to live in each city. Those are my personal choices.

I know, but having not seen Las Venturas yet I can't comment on how cool the safehouse is.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:53 am

i would have to pick the end mansion in vice city, fucking owns
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:21 am

The Vercetti estate would get my vote too...though it seems fairly prone to attack. ;)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby CMJ3 on Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:25 pm

So i preordered the special edition version of GTA IV today, im pretty happy with the purchase :) i also got $20 knocked off because of some delay meaning im gonna get the game like 2nd of May instead of the 29th of April, i dont mind the extra couple of days, but its gonna kill me when everyone starts goin crazy about it when it comes out.
DENVER NUGGETS FAN
CMJ3

Postby Jeffx on Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:34 pm

Lean wrote:Me too, ever since the plane missions pissed me off I stopped playing SA. I'd "visit" Las Venturas using a speed boat and run-off because I get a 5-star wanted level.

Oh yeah, "Flying School", "N.O.E." & "Dildo Dodo"(Vice) are legendary for pissing us GTA gamers off. But like I told Andrew, they get easier every time I start a new game.
Jeffx

Postby Dan's Brain on Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:30 pm

Is N.O.E. the one where you have to stay really low to avoid showing up on the radar? If so, abso-fucking-lutely.

I'm probably very much in the minority when i say that i never really had any issues with Flying School - except for blowing things up from the helicopter, always took me ages to get the moving targets.

My pain in the arse mission from San Andreas was Mike Toreno's last fight. I'm really bad with the rocket launcher.

Anyway, Safehouses:

I havent really played GTA3 that much, so i dont really know Liberty City

Vice City: Vercetti Estate is pretty sweet, I'd also enjoy the film studio for uhh, personal reasons.

Los Santos: the big place on Santa Maria beach or Mad Dogg's mansion.

The badlands: the farm on the big hill, southeast of Foster Valley (purely for the view, although the plane crashes would be a bitch)

San Fierro: the place with the massive garage in Hashbury

Las Venturas: the house in Prickle Pine.
Dan's Brain
My Manwich!

Postby Jeffx on Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:10 am

Joakim_Noah13 wrote:The badlands: the farm on the big hill, southeast of Foster Valley (purely for the view, although the plane crashes would be a bitch).

I never knew that farm existed until recently. That sucker is huge - expensive too.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:48 am

CMJ3 wrote:So i preordered the special edition version of GTA IV today, im pretty happy with the purchase :) i also got $20 knocked off because of some delay meaning im gonna get the game like 2nd of May instead of the 29th of April, i dont mind the extra couple of days, but its gonna kill me when everyone starts goin crazy about it when it comes out.

I was thinking about it, but I didn't really feel like spending $150 on a single game. I'm still considering pre-ordering it but I'd be surprised if it sells out everywhere on the first day. I guess it couldn't hurt to head over to EB Games though...
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:09 pm

yahoo's hyping GTA IV pretty well. got me interested in the whole gimmick with people buying songs off the radio. at $.89 or $.99 a pop, it's not that much better than iTunes, but I guess they're touting the exclusive music you can't get anywhere else.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jing on Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:57 pm

Been on a GTA3 rampage lately, figured before GTA IV i'd revisit Liberty.

Sucks not being able to ride bikes or get out of cars while they are moving, but its still mad fun.
Jing

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic