The Outer Worlds

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

The Outer Worlds

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:25 am

From the original creators of Fallout, and the developers of Fallout: New Vegas...

phpBB [video]

Definitely interested.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Outer Worlds

Postby [Q] on Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:03 pm

Looks like a New Vegas style game with a different storyline
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:09 pm

They know how to build stories, while Bethesda knows how to build sandbox.
sticky-fingers

Postby Lamrock on Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:01 am

I can't wait! New Vegas is easily my favorite Fallout game, and that was a cool trailer. Here's hoping it has the polish it needs to be a great game.
Lamrock

Postby Lean on Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:35 am

Looking forward to that game!
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:11 am

IGN preview: https://au.ign.com/articles/2018/12/07/ ... ce-fiction

It certainly does sound a lot like New Vegas and the first/third person Fallout games in general. That conversation interface looks very familiar, and is a welcome sight. Should be awesome.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:15 am

Anybody else get this game? I posted my impressions here. I'm about halfway through and it's pretty good. It's basically a cross between New Vegas, Mass Effect and Borderlands. I have some pretty major gripes with the game, but it's still really fun and addictive.
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:57 pm

As I mentioned, I've been holding off because I wasn't impressed about it becoming an Epic Store exclusive, but I've heard good things so I'll probably pick it up at some point. What are your gripes with it so far (if they're not spoiler-related)? What are the strong points? New Vegas is one of my all-time favourite games, but Mass Effect and Borderlands aren't my thing, so that's neither here nor there for me.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:29 am

The main gripe I have is that it's too easy. Combat is really easy and you only die if you let yourself get absolutely swarmed with monsters. Consequently, you can safely put all your points into Dialogue and Science options, and speech check your way to the conveniently diplomatic option every time. To be fair, I'm playing on Hard, and not Supernova (I want to keep my companions alive on this run) but the lack of difficulty means that I don't have to make hard choices or use very many of the mechanics. Perhaps they wanted the game to be winnable for all kinds of builds, but you'd think Hard mode would have a modicum of challenge.

So that's a major complaint, but on the other hand I'm actually looking forward to finishing up my first run so I can go through it again on Supernova with a different build. It's clear that supporting multiple playthroughs was a priority. I really like the Flaws mechanic, which will basically give you a negative trait in exchange for a perk point if you take too much damage from a certain enemy. The companions are all fairly well-written and likable, particularly the first couple you pick up. It's fun to hear them banter with each other, and comment on the quests.

They've also streamlined things a lot in terms of inventory management. Companions automatically give you extra carry weight, and you don't have to trade between them, and the menus generally require less micromanagement. Combat is what you'd expect with obligatory stealth options, and a bullet time feature that is the VATS replacement.

So all in all it's a fun game, and I appreciate what they're trying to do. However, due to the lack of challenge and depth I'd say it falls short of the high bar set by New Vegas, or even Fallout 4 for that matter.
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:16 am

Cool, thanks for the insight! Sounds like it's worth checking out.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:32 pm

Just picked it up, downloading and installing now.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby el badman on Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:51 am

I like it, been playing it for about 35 hours on PC and far from being done I think. It was definitely too easy at first so I cranked up the difficulty to Hard, doesn't make a huge difference but it's more enjoyable that way. Most of the quests are pretty entertaining, the dry humor is definitely there at all times, the dialog branches are well thought through, and the looting is quite fun. Doesn't reinvent anything as it's been said already but it's definitely a very solid gaming experience.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:28 am

Sometimes reinventing is the problem. For example, I think Fallout 4 would've been better received if it were an enhanced version of New Vegas (or even 3) with a new story and some of the handy features it introduced, like being able to run, melee attacks with guns and a separate control for grenades, and some aspects of the new Perk system.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby jenz on Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:04 am

I just picked this up and played for an hour. Man, it feels so good to have a fallout-like game again. I'm playing on hard because of what I've read in this thread. Any tips to maximize the playthrough?
jenz
Too cool for a custom title.

Postby el badman on Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:02 pm

jenz wrote:I just picked this up and played for an hour. Man, it feels so good to have a fallout-like game again. I'm playing on hard because of what I've read in this thread. Any tips to maximize the playthrough?

I feel that overall the dialogs are superior to what Bethesda got us used to, so I'm finding it worthwhile to explore the dialog trees as much as possible in order to get to outcomes or quest follow-ups that I may have not anticipated at first. Obviously it depends how long you wanted to invest in the game, since most of the positive reviews praise the fact that it's precisely not as lengthy as Fallout games and more focused that way, but to me it's worth stretching the quests as much as I can because the writing is really quite good.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Kenny on Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:43 pm

Played through the main story of this and I have to say, along with Death Stranding, this is up there for game of the year for me. It's pretty much everything I wanted Fallout 4 and Mass Effect Andromeda to be. As Lamrock stated, it's a little easy combat-wise, but my main interest in the game is the story and dialogue options, so that doesn't really detract from my overall experience.

One of my favourite moments from the game was this one:
phpBB [video]

Initially, I was like 'oh yeah... get the dude drunk, steal his pass. Seems kind of obvious.'

But the way it unfolded was kind of genius.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Return to Off-Topic