Fallout 76

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Fallout 76

Postby Sauru on Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:57 pm

i bet this will be a really fun game its just not the game for me. i am not into this style of game at all. wife and oldest son love these types of games so i have tried a few of them also but i always quit and go play something else rather quickly. if i was ever to get into this style of game i am sure this would be the one i would play as its being made by bethesda. oh well i guess i will wait for starfield and TES 6
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:44 pm

Talking it over with a couple of friends yesterday, I'm actually feeling a little more inclined to check it out and play online with them if we all end up getting it. That's not to say I'm not still disappointed though, and would prefer to have another single player Fallout - be it Fallout 5 or a New Vegas-style side game - in the not too distant future.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
45? That's a bad luck number!
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:56 am

A little off-topic, but this is a great video that addresses the "Fallout 3 is not a real Fallout game" argument, pointing out some of the depth that is overlooked or flat out ignored in Bethesda's first game in the series. It's lengthy to say the least, but well-made and well-argued.

phpBB [video]
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Lean on Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:28 pm

It's a great video and pretty much on-point with everything he mentioned. I still see a lot of hateful comments for that YouTube video, but the guy didn't say that Fallout 3 is the best among the series, just not as bad as people think.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:45 pm

Unfortunately well-reasoned arguments can only do so much in the face of people who are determined to hate something. I'm glad he took the time though, and the Like/Dislike ratio is encouraging, given the somewhat controversial stance.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:16 am

Seriously Bethesda?

HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:38 am

I mean, it's a great song, but there are plenty of other ways to listen to it.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:31 pm

Fallout 76's service-based direction 'doesn't mark the future' of Bethesda games

In conversation with gamesindustry.biz, Bethesda director Todd Howard assured prospective players that while Fallout 76 takes a games-as-service approach—similar to The Elder Scrolls Online—this is not the permanent outlook of the developer and/or its future games.

"It doesn't mark the future," Howard tells gi.biz. "Corporately we've done a mix—people forget sometimes. Elder Scrolls Online is one of the biggest online games in the world, we have Fallout Shelter which we keep updating, and Elder Scrolls: Legends."

"Anyone who has ever said 'this is the future and this part of gaming is dead' has been proven wrong every single time. We like to try it all. For a long time we wanted to try a multiplayer game and we had this idea. We shouldn't be afraid. We should try it."

The good news is, single player gaming isn't over. The bad news is, it's probably going to be a while before Fallout 5, or a New Vegas-style spinoff.

As I said, with a few of my friends having expressed an interest in Fallout 76, I'm a bit more open to trying it out so that I can play with them. Worst case scenario, it's a video game I end up not liking. I'm not pre-ordering as yet, but i won't rule out getting it, either.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:41 pm

he is correct, people keep saying single player gaming is dead and they are constantly wrong however the options continue to become more limited. companies put massive resources into online games while AAA single player games come out at 1-2 a year?
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:52 pm

Catering to current trends at the end of the day, I guess.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Pdub on Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:21 pm

It's much more expensive to make a AAA title game, single player or other, and always will be increasing in cost as the quality requirements increase. We are lucky to have Bethesda bringing quality single player RPG games.
Now that I think about it, the game looks like a smash and grab taking Fallout 4 and adding multiplayer. They take out human character NPC's, this way it's just real people and AI creatures so there is less buggy quests. Settlement building expanded from Fallout 4. Think they will sell mods for this one, too? It's all about money. I can't wait to play it. :lol:
Pdub
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:57 pm

Apparently they're looking at a way to incorporate mods, but they won't be available at launch. Obviously there are going to be limitations if and when they do work it out, at least compared to the single player games.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:28 am

Pdub wrote:It's much more expensive to make a AAA title game, single player or other, and always will be increasing in cost as the quality requirements increase. We are lucky to have Bethesda bringing quality single player RPG games.
Now that I think about it, the game looks like a smash and grab taking Fallout 4 and adding multiplayer. They take out human character NPC's, this way it's just real people and AI creatures so there is less buggy quests. Settlement building expanded from Fallout 4. Think they will sell mods for this one, too? It's all about money. I can't wait to play it. :lol:

AAA titles are basically playable movies at this point, so it requires everything a traditional movie needs plus everything a video game needs. They don't seem to have anything new at this point because like at the movie theater, they won't want to invest in a title that people don't recognize and won't but into
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:44 pm

So in terms of story and lore, there are going to be mutated creatures known as Scorchbeasts, while the similarly named group The Scorched are groups of hostile ghoul survivors who take the place of the raider gangs in other Fallout games. Other info summarised by The Vault:

The game retains much of Fallout 4's basic gameplay, with one major difference: The entire game is online, allowing for multiplayer gaming with up to three other players in your party and an upper limit of 24 to 30 players per server. The game saves character progression automatically and retains it across all servers, allowing for a seamless experience. As with other Bethesda games, 76 can also be played solo, without the interference or aid of other players. The new CAMP system allows for setting up settlements in any area of the map, without being tied to workshops.

Furthermore, players can take control of nuclear missile silos that survived the Great War. By collecting nuclear launch codes from ghoulified officers or scavenging them across the map, players can also launch missiles against enemy camps or regions, destroying them and making large amounts of salvage available for pilfering. The target zone is very high level and requires power armor and special gear to tackle.

Radiation is a major gameplay element in the game: Instead of radiation limiting your maximum health or reducing SPECIAL stats, like in previous games, here it increases the chance of you developing mutations over time, which act like traits, giving you a positive and negative modifier. Mutations can be cured or made permanent.

To support its greatly increased area of play, the game uses reworked rendering, landscape, lighting, and weather technology.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:31 pm

From The Vault's Facebook page, which is sharing tidbits like that as they become available: https://www.facebook.com/TheVaultFalloutWiki/

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:41 pm

Another good video about Fallout 3 and Bethesda's approach, at least in terms of single player.

phpBB [video]

Andrew
Administrator

Previous

Return to Off-Topic